Awoo.

ART: DanJ86 - DLC Update: Sketched Professor Zolo, Azookara, Ogilvie, Komodin, Adamis Fox 'n more

Danj86

Imageshack is having some technical difficulties at the moment. Hopefully, this'll work, but if you can't see the picture, try coming back later.

I just finished colouring The Joker, who I didn't display with the other sketches, due to already colouring him in.

lfro.png

There he is with his alternate from that I mentioned before. He transforms into a stealth fighter.

Out of everyone I've drawn so far, I'd say this was the most challenging, for several reasons. First is because he's always changing his name. Sometimes I'd use the name to help in designing that persons character, although that did end up happening. I also couldn't find anything like photos of himself or art he might've made. So I had to only relay on his profile page info, and the idea I had much later, of including parts of characters he's had as usernames in the past.

As far as I know, he's not had a Knuckles username before, but he does mention him as his favourite character in his profile. I hope you enjoy it. smile.png

Could you do one for Lamor? He lurks more than he posts but he'd really appreciate it if you did one.

Hmm, Lamor? That name does sound familiar. I'll see what I can do.

Edited by Dan-imeJ86
  • Thumbs Up 8

• 2 weeks later...

Going to be my last post for a while. Having gathered a large number of sketches, I need to start focusing on colouring. I have this habit of when finishing a certain number, I remember 3 more names I was gonna draw. Then the whole thing repeats. I dunno if I've mentioned this, but I'm not really drawing members in any order.

In fact most of what I choose to draw and when is decided on "feeling." As in I feel like drawing this or I'll draw that later. This last batch was manly focused on the ones I'd assigned a second form too. Wolfy I assigned a third form too. There's a reason for that, that will share after the link.

5p3c.jpg

Your seeing pony Pelly. I did consider using the design that I made for her during the "pony the mods" thread, but at the last minute, decided to go for the character in her avatar. I plan to add a blurred effect to the booty mark, or whatever they are called.

Now I hope my research is correct, but I believe I've drawn Pira-Tan and Geist who are mascots created by Carbo for something he called GeistBox. The details of which, I barely remember. Although I did think it was possible that he had a third mascot I saw on a couple of pictures, I just wasn't completely sure.

Megumi's design has become one of my personal favourites and includes an official character as part of it. I wanted to symbolize how a work of fiction can help you though dark and lonely times in your life.

Definitely, all the time to be perfectly honest.

I associate you guys with what  you call yourselves and how your present yourselves really with your avatars and signatures (usually these as a whole over time). It's just natural to me start to remember you by what you're outfitting yourself with, and more often than not what you're sporting yourself are things that genuinely interest you in some form or matter.

I know everyone here on does it to some degree whether they want to admit it or not. I'm almost damn sure every breathing person here has made a wolf/dog joke stab at me in the past haha. I used to be annoyed with it, but I figured that was dumb of me, since that's who I'm choosing to show off to you guys. I do like dogs and wolves a lot in fiction and in real life, so being associated with it makes me feel pretty good. Same happened with Dashy since I like Rainbow Dash's character a lot.

However, I'd like to point out that I don't judge you soley based on these things; you're actions and whatnot determine that. Though when just going by remembering people for who they are, then yeah. If someone said "who's Inferno" I'd probably say the guy that wears the Sonic Battle Fireball head most the time and he draws a lot.

So yes, I hope you all think I'm Red from Solatorobo by now on the other end your screen when talking to me, >:U

This is the post that inspired me to give Wolfy 3 forms. He mentions how he is often depicted as 3 different things. Rainbow Dash, generic wolves or dogs and Red The Hunter. It's as simple as that. 3 = 3.

I used a piece of art by Sean as a reference for a character called Ace. While the human one is based on a photo he submitted. The golf club is for clubbing zombies, duh. Also a subtle reference to the zombie/infect forum game of some months ago. The other sketches I submitted had another version of Wolfy. A generic wolf I designed that had a square nose and feet that was inspired by minecraft. The trio form a werewolf template I put together. He'd be able to transform from wolf to anphro wolf to human, whenever he liked. Not needed a silly moon or night to effect him.

Even though this plot point has no effect on the final image, it's still there and also references the Werehog anything - interactive thread.

At this point I'm starting to use photos more as reference material. I was reluctant to share links of images from other artist works as it might become confusing and I don't want to get credit for something somebody else drew. But while I wont have that problem with photos, they are all personal. I'd feel uneasy sharing things like that.

On a related note, Frogging101, Diz, Remz, WolfyV3, Vertekins, PellyV1 and Patticus are all based on photos.

Edited by Dan-imeJ86
  • Thumbs Up 6

Great as ever. Shaping is all great, detail looks fantastic, and I bet it'll look better in colour! Can't wait to see it all finished, man!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ooo that's looking pretty cool!

What's the basis of Wolfy v3? The zipper mouth and stylised scarf are making me very curious as to the source material!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ooo that's looking pretty cool!

What's the basis of Wolfy v3? The zipper mouth and stylised scarf are making me very curious as to the source material!

You must be talking about Ace. He is one of Wolfblurs original characters. You'd have to ask him about the design but I do agree with you. He does have a very interesting look and the scarf is cool.

Wolfy commissioned art by Sean that I used as a reference for my drawing. You can see it, here. 

While there is also a couple more pieces with him in different styles at Wolfblurs own website. http://wolfblur.bandcamp.com/

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow dude, this is fantastic! Haha!

I like how you drew Ace alot, especially with the scarf going like "toward us" like that. Took me a second to even realize I was the golf club guy too since I forgot all about that picture, so bonus awesome XDDD! Really love what you did with the rest of the people in the picture as well, like the position the Pelly-pony is in and how pretty much all of them are in a dynamic pose. And homg Charlie, <3.

Super rad dude, keep up the aweosme work! Sorry I didn't stumble in here sooner X3

EDIT: Orite, the scarf is inspired from LED meters in audio. Pieces of the scarf appear and disappear according to his emotion levels, where if he's largely upset it "clips" like in audio, 'causing distortion and him going all cray-cray lawl. The zipper mouth is for his high-altitude fighting since he's a pilot of his own crazy flying contraption. It also stands for my jaw problem I have irl *shrugs*. Glad you like it though haha.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the information, Wolfy!

A pretty neat character design overall and a clever concept; I wish I had that level of creativity with my original creations!

And of course another round of applause to Dan for helping bring the idea to life. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Now I hope my research is correct, but I believe I've drawn Pira-Tan and Geist who are mascots created by Carbo for something he called GeistBox. The details of which, I barely remember. Although I did think it was possible that he had a third mascot I saw on a couple of pictures, I just wasn't completely sure.

Her name is Pandora, actually. I associate her with the music side of things I work with while Pira-tan is all-purpose. Geistbox is just a production name, and the third character you mentioned is removed from that nowadays since I associate her with... other things I draw.

With that said, wow this is totally unexpected, haha. Thanks for the drawings! The two of them are absolutely adorable. Keep up the good work!

• Thumbs Up 1

jd51.png

Can you work out who is shown from the original sketches displayed before? Don't worry, I'll go into further detail about them when I've completed the other sketches, so I can show them all together.

There is one piece of truth from my beginning statement. You see, because I've given this a deadline, I've become committed to it. So other projects have slowed down, stopped or canceled all together. The bonus tower story is one of those things. Plus I had many different ideas for fan art, that I haven't been able to begin yet.

I wanna try to fix that, and I've recently been playing a lot of Kirby games, and was hit by inspiration. The pink puffball has always been a personal favourite and has been spotted several times in here already.
So the next major update, will be a Kirby Special!!

Along with the completed 2nd batch of SSMB characters, it'll also feature a series of new Kirby fan art. And probably be written entirely in pink, just for kicks. Look forward to that, if you wanna. Stay tuned my plucky comrades, I spoil you guys, y'know. wink.png lol
Edited by Project D Zone-J86
  • Thumbs Up 8

Ugh, so...preoccupied...

T'is a sad day. Raorz has retired and the banners had to retire with him. It's a shame as I did want to see if the completed SSMB party picture, could've been made and put into the banner cycle. The idea was one of several motivations for the project in the first place. I guess the hole thing should be scrapped then.

I do apologize, I guess it's back to the fan art for me...

Okay, a cruel trick on my part, but I'd guess that anyone who has seen my posts in the past and witnessed my brand of humour, would've known at the beginning that I wasn't gonna leave things like that.

It's a mean spirited fool that would do all that boasting and then turn and flee at the last minute. I'm far from finished, see:

jd51.png
Can you work out who is shown from the original sketches displayed before? Don't worry, I'll go into further detail about them when I've completed the other sketches, so I can show them all together.

There is one piece of truth from my beginning statement. You see, because I've given this a deadline, I've become committed to it. So other projects have slowed down, stopped or canceled all together. The bonus tower story is one of those things. Plus I had many different ideas for fan art, that I haven't been able to begin yet.

I wanna try to fix that, and I've recently been playing a lot of Kirby games, and was hit by inspiration. The pink puffball has always been a personal favourite and has been spotted several times in here already.
So the next major update, will be a Kirby Special!!

Along with the completed 2nd batch of SSMB characters, it'll also feature a series of new Kirby fan art. And probably be written entirely in pink, just for kicks. Look forward to that, if you wanna. Stay tuned my plucky comrades, I spoil you guys, y'know. wink.png lol

Good to see you are staying motivated on your main project, but its also good to see you arent giving up on your other ideas either

Hello! Figured it's worth updating the progress while the Kirby Special is in development. I'm also hoping to have my art trade with Prownage finished and shown in the same post. The fan art ideas I came up with are more...ambitious then I could've imagined, so it could take longer than I'd hope...but we'll have to wait and see. I'll also try a recap update, regarding the SSMB 13th Anniversary Picture. Listing who has been drawn, what was the inspiration behind the drawing and whose next. I've spotted some newer members who are already become quite well-known and liked, that I think should make it into the picture.

The clouds of doubt have been hovering in my mind as of late. A sudden concern of what others think about what I'm doing and why I'm doing so, has been bothering me. Is it some attempt to get noticed? Kissing up to the staff and members? Trying to get many likes?
These aren't quotes people have said. They are the voice of doubt in my heart. Always attempting to cripple any ambitious project I might try. Maybe It'll help if I just come clean, I'm sure I probably mention something like it before in a Personal Discussion thread...

I spend a lot of time trying to reprogram my brain into being more positive, as I'm usually a heavily negative thinker. I have a very dark outlook on life and I worry about others who share my dark thoughts and also struggle to deal with it. There's a phrase that has been used a couple of times in regards to this project, and they sum up my motives perfectly.

"You've made my day!"

The idea that somebody was having a very lousy day, and it's possibly turned around by something I did has a very positive effect on me. Basically, I like to make people smile. That is my motivation.

Enough rambling, I've shown them together. It's time to show them separately, like all the others.
Crash:

soto.png

The idea for Crash came to me before I learned he uploaded photos to the picture thread. I'd usually try to base the character around the real person if a picture is available. But as long as Crash himself likes it, that's all that really matters. He's a big fan of Marvel and DC, so his Bandicoot character was designed with a hero-ish look to him. Originally designed to parody Superman, I later learned that Green Lantern is one of his personal favourites, so the colours where chosen to reflect that.

© Auto:

ehuj.png

Based on Autos own artistic interpretation of himself. I tried to emulate his wacky cartoonist style. I dunno what he's pointing at though...

© ArchangelUK:

zrii.png
Angelus The Echidna if my research is correct. Is often used as a visual interpretation for ArchangelUK or AAUK as he is also lovingly known. I'm not sure who drew the picture I used for a reference. I think I remember seeing the name "Professor Zolo" who is also a member hanging around here somewhere.

Faseeh: © Inferno

3u63.png
I always intended to have Faseeh based on the avatar he was using. He approached me before I even started a sketch and requested some changes that he'd like. So I was happy to oblige. It's also worth mentioning that the original design was drawn by Inferno. He said I could change the colours however I liked, but I liked the original colours and didn't want to stray too far. Most notably the colours Sonic is known for are heavily used. Being red, white and blue.

Frogging101:

1m7j.png
Is this the first one completed and uploaded, to be based on a photo? I had him holding a laptop as a reference to his interest in studying engineering. (specifically software or electrical engineering) The photo I used as a reference did have what looked like a cowlick in his hair, and yes, it's there in the design. Sorry about that. ^^;
He does refer to himself as a "techie" in his profile page, so there was a very conscious attempt to make sure he doesn't look like a stereotypical tech savvy, cliché character. Stereotypes and clichés annoy me.

© Indigo Rush:

giem.png
This picture is based on a drawing Indigo showed in his own art thread. I think it was from one of the very first posts in his topic, he might not even remember it. I just came across it myself due to searching for inspiration.

© Jango:

ujw3.png
Another drawing based on one the member drew himself. It was a homage to classic cartoons of old. I tried to emulate the style and keep the same colour scheme, but I also remembered something new I learned to do, that could give an image an aged look. I attempted it for this character only, to take that classic homage a step of two further. A couple of extra lines where added too.

© Nix:

0dlu.png

The adorable Pinkie Pie/Kirby fusion character, occasionally used by Nix as an avatar and sig. It was also the first proper attempt at altering line art colour through a simple method that I didn't even know you could use in photoshop, which I learned from Nepenthe.

© Redhellc:

2flh.png

This character is based on what he's been using as an avatar. I did actually draw him from memory, so he does look slightly different to the original. My memory ain't so good. XP

© Soniman:

db7y.png
A couple of things I should confess. It's indeed based on a character Soniman drew himself, to represent himself. His hoodie originally had a horizontal line pattern design to it, but I removed that to make life easier for me. I know...I should be ashamed.
His hoodie reminded me of Assassin's Creed and specifically the character, Ezio. So I'm suddenly drawing a pose based on one from Assassin's Creed. Can you see it? Then I would accidentally take this a step further when choosing colours. I've been trying not to over use colours for each character, Redhellc already has a grey hoodie, so trying out various colours resulted in white looking the best in my opinion. Is Soniman a fan of Assassin's Creed. you ask?

I don't know! @_@

© Super-Soniko:

mqre.png
Don't try to deny it! Your disappointed aren't you? You where hoping for a busty pink haired maiden beauty wearing very little, weren't you?!?
It was an option I considered, but I much preferred the personal touch. Having her character being somebody she created herself, seemed like more appealing choice to me. I should also say my choice had nothing to do with self censorship or being morally against the idea. I have no personal restrictions in what I want to or not want to draw. I consider it all as training in my preferred profession.

Super-Spindash:

g06h.png
I remember being concerned because there was no hint to any other interests that Super Spindash had. Nothing in his profile or art thread. So I went for pure Sonic as the theme. A character that almost looks like he's constantly doing a spindash. He also includes a couple of references to Sonic and his history.

Vertekins:

4y.png

Based on photos of Verte and her love of Sonic merchandise. One of the first pictures I saw of her was when she was at a wedding. It seemed odd to base her outfit on what she was wearing then, for her character design, so I attempted to put something together myself. Nothing too fancy. In the end I seemed to come up with an outfit similar to what Creams mother, Vanilla wears. If anyone asks...I meant to do it...

Edited by DanJ86
  • Thumbs Up 9

I'm glad to hear you're feeling more positive, Dan; always try to focus on the brighter side of things. I think you're an awesome fellow for taking the time to give away all these free gifts. smile.png

It's really nice to see your separate sketches and your basis for them. To me, it's not just art itself that's interesting, but actually knowing the creative processes one used to get there. It sounds like in many cases you didn't really have anything to work with and so had to really think on what that person might look like as a representation. I'd say you've done a fantastic job. smile.png

Digging Vertekins' image the most I think; the little Sonic is just adorable.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so I spent the last couple of weeks trying to think of a good design for Bmn and Chris. I was pretty stuck.

I finally got something in mind for both of them and one of them has been sketched already. But I still have lots of others to colour in. Speaking of being stuck, T-Man requested to be included ages ago and I still haven't thought of a good design idea for him. It's pretty clear that I'm having a hard time, especially now that my targeted completion date is over a month away.

8nxz.jpg

Awesome dude, cant wait to see the final version!

Could you do one for Lamor? He lurks more than he posts but he'd really appreciate it if you did one.

Just a quick update regarding Lamor. I now have an idea in place and am preparing plans to start sketching his character, you'll probably see it in the next one or two major updates.

This next bit might sound like a member kissing up to the staff here, but I don't really care. I said at the very beginning that the entire staff are guaranteed to appear in the final image, so it should've been expected.

I set up two important milestones to reach for this project, one was to draw at least the top 20 overall posters and the other was to draw all the staff members. I also said that anyone can choose to opt out of being included by contacting me through PM or mentioning it here. Be warned that saying nothing does not guarantee you wont be in it. Having said that, it all depends on how much I can do before the October 24th deadline, which was chosen because it's The Sonic Stadiums 13th Birthday.

When I say "Staff," I include Admins, Mods, TSS Writers, DJs and even Retired Staff.

I'm compiling a special picture to feature all the characters of these highly important roles and I guarantee it will be shown in the next update. The Kirby Special I mentioned earlier, had to get pushed back with the deadline for this being so close. For now I'm going to share 5 newly completed characters who will be featured in the Staff Only Preview.

Diz:

ki4u.png
Diz had 2 main inspirations in his design:
The first is the character featured as his Avatar. Kyuubey, from the Puella Magi series. http://images.puella-magi.net/4/48/Kyuubey_Chara_Sheet.jpg?20110119212813
The second is from a photo he uploaded, specifically the second photo in this post. (You'll be able to tell, straight away.)  Only signed in members can follow the link.
For reasons I'm unsure of, his coat in that picture turned into a T-shirt in my drawing. ^^;

© Urtheart:

wrs6.png
No interesting stories behind this character. He's right there as the Avatar, but the picture I used as a reference for this drawing was drawn by Angus. http://angus.deviantart.com/art/Shadow-Urtheart-158309345

Who's Angus? Well, you'll probably know him better as Nemain, who made a badass Metal Sonic banner for SSMB once.

© Pelly:

mugm.png
Pony Pelly is the same as her Avatar, although the only difference is most likely the "Beauty Mark." Yep, I did draw something there and added a pixel blur like effect over it. Yeah...the shape of the blur does make it look like it might've been a cock 'n balls, and to be honest, I was very tempted. But it just felt odd, every gentlemanly bone in my body told me I could not portray Pelly as a futanari. A pair of boobs wouldn't fit and I've never even seen the elusive...vagina....in my life...so...it's a hand giving the finger, okay?!
Pellys human form is basically how she really looks, while the design method is based on how the characters on the Panty & Stocking anime are drawn.
Please don't type these words in google. Anyway, I couldn't find the exact photo that inspired her outfit, so I'll just show this instead. 
Even as a zombie, shes still pretty. ^-^

© Carbo:

p54f.png
2 Characters from Carbos own catalog. He's already filled me in on the details I missed last time, so I can properly introduce them now. Pira-Tan (On the left.) and Pandora (On the right.) Three different peaces of art, all drawn by Cardo, are what I used as reference material for the characters. Interestingly, each of the three appeared to be coloured in a different style. Take a look for yourself:

© Wolfy:

b939.png
Sometimes something inspires me to give a member more then one version of them self and with Wolfy, I took it further with 3 different versions. So far, Crow is the only other member that is gonna have 3 versions.
The first form (On the left) is an original created by me, that I have since added to give him references to both, Ace and Raindow Dash, while his very squared nose and feet was inspired by Minecraft.
The second form (In the middle) is a Wolfy original character called Ace. I came across him while browsing Seans art thread and used that drawing as a reference for my own.
The pose Ace is openly mocking is the typical monster pounce pose I'm sure we've all seen many times.
The final form (On the right obviously) is based on a photo he shared. The only downside to using that photo, is that he was going to a job interview at the time. Lets be honest, none of us would choose to wear a suit if we weren't required too, right?
Regardless I found the photo funny and memorable, which is probably why I chose it as a reference. Only signed in members can follow the link.

After all this time, I had forgotten that there was a second project to follow this one, that was even more ambitious and used the same characters. I'm reluctant to mention what it's about, just in case it goes horribly wrong, or I just can't handle the task correctly with my current skill set. But if it does go ahead, I will likely keep you all informed like I'm doing now, I need to learn the basics of a couple of new things before proceeding with that, though...
  • Thumbs Up 9

Again, this is super fantastic dude, I think I can speak for anyone saying how much of an awesome feeling it is when someone randomly draws something about you, or any form of art really. It definitely brightened up my day a little anyways, so thanks >3.

Anyways, it's exciting and interesting to see how you interpret all of us. Clicking each spoiler tag of each member is a fun surprise to see if your headcanon matches up with mine (your's is usually better LOL). I really love how you incorporate key moments you remember us each of us by in each drawing, that'd probably my favorite part.

Keep up the awesome work man and totally can't wait for more!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, so I was bored, and since my current project is in limbo I am hesitant in working on anything for it, So inspired by your project, I decided to have some fun, so I now present: Dr. Homen in 3D!
Dr_Homem.jpg
http://media.moddb.com/images/groups/1/5/4853/Dr_Homem.jpg
Thought I would throw it on here since you provided the ref and inspiration ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

There is no hiding my sadness, I can only try to lose myself in activities.

So I mentioned a follow up project tied to the SSMB Toons Compilation art piece. The working title of it is SSMV, or Sonic Stadium Music Video. An original animation to the tune of Crush 40s Sonic Youth song, featuring the SSMB toons.

The compilation art was inspired by the original SSMB animation idea, that never really got started. Some ideas that were created for that, are gonna resurface in SSMV. There will be a story attached to the music video.

The original animation idea was also intended to be collaborative. I'm opening that door again, even though it didn't work out last time. Ths is very early days as I'm still working on the compilation and learning about the animation software I've got.

If anyone wants to take part, at the moment I want building designs and ideas for the place that SSMV  will begin at. The City of SSMB-ville, that's also a working title, I also like suggested possible names for the city. Regarding what type of buildings? That's up to you.

I do request two specific thinks if somebody wanted to design one or both of them.

The first is a park with a large golden Sonic Statue somewhere within it.

The other is a Train Station or more specifically, a Hype Train Station.

I don't need amazing art to show your design ideas, just a simple sketch or detailed description would be enough. But if you wanna go all out in your design, then go ahead. This is a toon world so no boring real life restrictions need to get in the way of your ideas. Plus with me focusing on the compilation for now, there isn't a deadline at the moment, so if you wanna share something, there's no need to rush. 

Well, I got an idea for a building, but I am going to have to model up a temp one, also for the park, I think it should be a mix of Sonic first level tropes, with loops, checkerboards, a lake, and other fun stuff

Also what did you think of my Dr Homem?

Also what did you think of my Dr Homem?

Yeah I saw it, I've been pretty distracted lately. Anyway...

It's pretty freakin' cool. I know nothing about 3D computer art, but I would've though one of the other more simpler characters would've been easier to make, so it's very impressive. Can't say I'm used to the idea of inspiring others either, so that's nice. smile.png

Has Homem seen is? I bet he'd like it. I don't even know if he's aware of my picture and his inclusion. *shrug*

Whoa! I wish I saw this sooner! These are pretty great!

Are you doing all the members or only selected ones?

It would be impossible to include all members, the priority goes to the staff and the top 20 highest posters. I also try to include the most active, anybody that wishes to be included or members nominated by another member. Anyone can be a part of this, but the deadline for completion is 24th of October.

Yeah I saw it, I've been pretty distracted lately. Anyway...

It's pretty freakin' cool. I know nothing about 3D computer art, but I would've though one of the other more simpler characters would've been easier to make, so it's very impressive. Can't say I'm used to the idea of inspiring others either, so that's nice. smile.png

Has Homem seen is? I bet he'd like it. I don't even know if he's aware of my picture and his inclusion. *shrug*

sadly Homem is still on a hiatu. also, it was a modification of an existing model, wasnt that bad