Awoo.

The End Of Sonic Spinball Alton Towers

Raccoonatic

I only recently found out that there was a Sonic themed ride at Alton Towers over in England. I read a lot of more information and watched some videos on YouTube about it and and the Sonic hotel room. I was so surprised! I though that was the best thing ever, and couldn't wait for the day when I'd go to Alton Towers. But then I found some stuff about how SEGA's contract ends with Alton Towers in 2013, and the ride (and possibly the awesome hotel room) will be moved and re-themed. I was pretty sad about that as I only found that out, and didn't even know Alton Towers existed! So I ask, is all that information real? Is SEGA ending the deal and Sonic Spinball will be no more?

Shit, really? D: I haven't heard anything suggesting this, though I do believe the ride's been closed for a bit. Still, damn, if this is true I'm gutted, despite only going on it once. :<

Looks like it's still there.

I don't know the ins and outs of what goes on at the park though. Someone else is bound to have a better understanding of what the plans are for the ride. I do believe it's being taken down in the next few years at any rate. It wasn't always a Sonic ride either. It was originall called the Pinball Whizzer, and became Sonic Spinball after a branding deal with SEGA. 

Spinball will still exist, I doubt they'll take it down, I mean they're currently building a new coaster in a place where some other thing used to be. As Blue Blood said, it used to be called Spinball Whizzer before the Sonic rebranding. They can probably still build rides elsewhere so they probably won't bother taking it down, especially as it draws up massive queues and is fairly popular with the families. This is true compared to a lot of it's other coasters, particularly the likes of the legendary Nemesis, Oblivion, and Air.

There's no point in removing a ride unless they are replacing it, and with The Smiler (the new coaster) on board and the fact they built Thirteen and Rita over the past few years in another location (they removed an ancient 20 year old Corkscrew for Rita, but after 20 years and it beginning to grow less popular due to it's roughness I can see that), I don't see them removing it. Alton would have nothing to gain from removing it unless they'd already got plans for something else. And considering they're not building new coasters literally every year, it'll likely be a fair while yet.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Try the Tower Times Forum, there might be something on Sonic Spinball there. As far as I know, it's still there for this season at least.

Pretty sure the Hotel Room was replaced by the Ice Age 4 room a while back but the ride is staying with the Sonic brand, if not then they'll just change it back to the Spinball Whizzer

Yes, what Blue Blood has said is right.

Sonic's Spinball opened a few years ago after the original roller coaster (simply called Spinball Whizzer) was repainted into a new colour and various bits of Sonic theme were added. The partnership was set to last about 3 years, so there is a chance that the ride will be stripped of its Sonic theme at the end of the current season.

As it stands, the roller coaster and Sonic hotel room are still in place, so will be safe for this season at least. Once this season ends... it's anybody's guess really if they do decide to retheme it.

Also as it stands, the roller coaster ride itself is safe for a few more years, but park management intends to remove it by 2018 I think. The ride itself was installed when Alton Towers was under different management, and the current management (Merlin Entertainments) aren't really at all fond of it as they feel it's not fitting in the area its in.

If you intend to come over to the UK, you can still experience the ride, but it will likely have its Sonic theme stripped away. It's safe until 2016 anyway.

Edited by JonoD
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, what Blue Blood has said is right.

Sonic's Spinball opened a few years ago after the original roller coaster (simply called Spinball Whizzer) was repainted into a new colour and various bits of Sonic theme were added. The partnership was set to last about 3 years, so there is a chance that the ride will be stripped of its Sonic theme at the end of the current season.

As it stands, the roller coaster and Sonic hotel room are still in place, so will be safe for this season at least. Once this season ends... it's anybody's guess really if they do decide to retheme it.

Also as it stands, the roller coaster ride itself is safe for a few more years, but park management intends to remove it by 2018 I think. The ride itself was installed when Alton Towers was under different management, and the current management (Merlin Entertainments) aren't really at all fond of it as they feel it's not fitting in the area its in.

If you intend to come over to the UK, you can still experience the ride, but it will likely have its Sonic theme stripped away. It's safe until 2016 anyway.

Thanks! At least I know it's not ending too early!

It really is a shame they'll be ending it, but I'm guessing SEGA somehow wasn't making a profit off it... which surprises me, given how popular he is in the UK. But I presume they have good business reasons for ending the deal.

As a consolation prize, there's a Sonic-themed amusement park elsewhere.

In Dubai.

Which is in The United Arab Emirates. In the Middle East.

It's not a case that the deal is being cancelled, it's just reaching the end of its pre-arranged contract. It was always on the cards (even before the ride opened) that the partnership would end after 3 years.

That's not to say that this contract could be renewed however, but Sonic Spinball isn't high on the park's priority list at the moment. After all, they have a roller coaster they're currently building that's already 2 months behind schedule. tongue.png

As far as I'm aware...

Originally it was believed that the dead was only going to be a 3 year thing which started when Sonic 4 Episode 1 came out. Now the people who were saying the '3 years' at the time where the folks who would have known this stuff.

But.... the room and ride are still there. You can still book the hotel room (Someone from SSMB actually rang them up to ask about it in fact), and the ride is still there.

However...

I was browsing the towers times forum the other week as it happens when looking for some information, it turns out that the 'land' in which Sonic Spinball is located in might be having some refurbishment, so it might mean bye bye Sonic ride. But that said, others were saying that Spinball isn't due for removal until 2018 (this is the actual physical roller coaster, no nessesarilly the fact it's Sonic themed). So it's either next year, or 2018 that it might finally go.

Or maybe not, they might try to keep the license running since it's a really nice looking ride which is quite the money maker.

As far as I am aware, this year is the last. I'm actually going this year for the first time just to ride it whilst it's still Sonic.

Also before people rush to book the hotel, just a heads up...

It's great if you go with friends who are also interested in Sonic/games... but don't just go to it for the sake of it, if I were going to stay there again, I wouldn't book the Sonic room, I'd go for the other themed rooms if I had the money for those.

Another thing to add if you're intending on staying... Whilst the atmosphere staying in the hotel is sublime and brilliantly themed (with perks of inclusive early ride time and such), it's also worth checking out the local area for B&Bs which are a fraction of the price and could ultimately allow you to stay for longer if you have a budget to work with.

Me and a friend are staying at a local B&B this coming October and visiting the park over 3 days (2 full days in park including early ride time, then a day over at the resort bit to experience the water park and mini golf etc) and that's setting us back around £350 for all those days.

A single night in the Sonic room, whilst a great experience is already breaking substantially into the bank, not forgetting that the actual amenities in the room are fairly basic.

I'm just surprised SEGA hasn't re-negotiated the deal, personally. It sounds like the park makes a hefty profit off both the room and the ride, and I can presume SEGA gets a nice cut as well...

Sigh. All the cool things are overseas. One day I really need to plan a trip across the pond.

I remember going before Sonic was plastered on it.

Never been on it but it's a great ride regardless.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing still in the Xbox 360 gaming zone at Legoland Windsor? Just curious if Merlin Entertainments (they own both Legoland and Alton Towers) still has a deal with Sega...

Edited by Wil348

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing still in the Xbox 360 gaming zone at Legoland Windsor? Just curious if Merlin Entertainments (they own both Legoland and Alton Towers) still has a deal with Sega...

Probably but I doubt it means too much.

Last year I managed to get into the VIP lounge for Virgin Atlantic when I was going on holiday, they had a gaming area which also has ASR playing.

Probably but I doubt it means too much.

Last year I managed to get into the VIP lounge for Virgin Atlantic when I was going on holiday, they had a gaming area which also has ASR playing.

I just remembered that I read a Legoland leaflet last year that said that Sega are one of the park's partners, but I'm not sure about this year's one.

I just remembered that I read a Legoland leaflet last year that said that Sega are one of the park's partners, but I'm not sure about this year's one.

Huh they are? Which Legoland was this?

Huh they are? Which Legoland was this?

Windsor. We were heading to my grandparents in Wales at the time, and we stopped at a service station. I picked up a Legoland leaflet, and in the partners section on the leaflet, I saw the Sega. So as of last year, Merlin Entertainments and Sega still have a contract.

Edited by Wil348

• 2 weeks later...

Well I hope that the room and the ride are still there in a few years!

I was planning on going and having a Sonic Themed Stag-do (since I can't have a Sonic themes wedding :()

Hopefully it'll last a while longer, end of a contract just means that it is the minimum that it has to stay there for, not that it will go after it ends

• 1 month later...

well the contract might end but the ride if moved it will be to another section of the park but i have no idea what will happen to the room

(it will probably be rethemed

I've always wondered if these sorts of contracts end because they aren't profitable, or because SEGA's pretty poor at marketing generally so doesn't know the first thing about how to gauge cost effectiveness.

500 dollars a night for a Sonic room... to me that sounds like caviar; I'd do it just to say I've done it.

I saw a photo recently showing the Sonic statue in AT has lost his nose. :(

Anyone been there recently? Have they given him a nose job?! :D