Awoo.

The End Of Sonic Spinball Alton Towers

Raccoonatic

Mariotehplumber went on holiday to Britain and cut off Sanic's banannose. He was going to cut off his hentai quills but park security came after him. He called them modern morans and then ran away. 

• 1 month later...

Having heard various rumblings out of the many forums associated with the Towers it seems that Spinball will either be removed next year as part of their restructuring plan or left alone until the near future. It wouldn't surprise me as well that the Sonic branding is removed next year with the deal expiring, as for the hotel room, it may remain but is unlikely. I would love to visit the room but is out of my price range, u can get 10 days in an Orlando hotel for the same price!!!

• 4 weeks later...

This ride always felt like such a missed opportunity to me. Probably the only two requirements for a Sonic rollercoaster would be for it to go really fast and for it to have plenty of loop-de-loops. There were plenty of rides that fit this requirement and they chose the one that didn't. They didn't even reskin the cars to look more like Egg-O-Matics, which I thought would have been obvious. simply awful

/overreaction

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

This ride always felt like such a missed opportunity to me. Probably the only two requirements for a Sonic rollercoaster would be for it to go really fast and for it to have plenty of loop-de-loops. There were plenty of rides that fit this requirement and they chose the one that didn't. They didn't even reskin the cars to look more like Egg-O-Matics, which I thought would have been obvious. simply awful

/overreaction

Well, you have to consider that it needs to cater for Sonic's target audience, which is children. Turning Rita or Nemesis into a Sonic ride isn't going to work well because 8 year olds won't go on them tongue.png

Spinball Whizzer is the perfect ride for Sonic I think, it's a great laugh whether you're 8 or 28. 

• 1 month later...

Now if I know my Theme Park policies correctly.  They will just ask SEGA to extent the licence.  I work at Thorpe Park (another theme park in the UK owned by the same company as Alton Towers) and we have a ride that is branded by the SAW franchise.  Believe or not but our licence was to end this year, and we didn't rebuy the licence.  We expanded it.  For those of you who don't know.  Our Halloween Fright Nights are all themed after Lionsgate films.  Including SAW meaning that we extented it.  Chances are the same will happen for Sonic Spinball at Alton Towers.

Should say, it's not confirmed it is being replaced with that. Only spinball is literally right next to the land that I can see Cbeebies replacing. And we all know that spinballs time is coming to an end.

Right... based on what I'm looking at...

Sonic Spinball has at least... 1 more year at Alton Towers.

Alton put in their planning applications for a huge development which will start over the christmas closure period. They detail that the 'storybook land' will be almost completely redesigned. Several buildings around the park will be demolished.

Sonic is NOT one of them.

Based on this planning application plan.

http://publicaccess.staffsmoorlands.gov.uk/publicaccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?keyval=MRVOO7PGA8000&searchtype=PROPERTY&module=P3 (you need to go to 'location plan')

The area in red indicates Storybook land, thats the area which will be re-developed and altered. Sonic Spinball is the area imediately below it. Outside of the red area.

However... Demolition plans are seperate. However, they do not show that Sonic will be destroyed.

This doesn't however remove the possability of a re-theme since that doesn't require planning permission if it's paint alterations, much like with what happened when Spinball Wizzer became Sonic Spinball.

So for another year at least, we gots a Sonic Rollercoaster.

Move it to LEGOland if they don't need the ride anymore. That's another Merlin park, and SEGA is a partner there too.

Erm... thats not going to happen.

Fun Fact. I'm going to Alton this weekend. Might check out the consoles... whoa!

Mariotehplumber went on holiday to Britain and cut off Sanic's banannose. He was going to cut off his hentai quills but park security came after him. He called them modern morans and then ran away.

......You're joking right?! he really wouldn't go as far as to desecrate a statue just to show his hate would he?