Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Detective Shadzter

Looks like a solid and natural evolution of ALTTP's visuals and gameplay yo me, I can't wait, personally.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 5

This looks so nice. Great style, if you ask me. The turning into a picture gimmick also sounds interesting. It's also nice that I don't have to worry about gimmicky Touch/Motion controls for once.

The fact that they said it was set in "the same game-world," rather than actually saying the word "sequel," makes me wonder if it's a prequel.  By the canon timeline, that would be a game shedding some light on the early events of the Downfall Timeline, with Ganon being sealed away after obtaining the Triforce.  If it's a sequel, it also has to take place after the Oracles and Link's Awakening, most likely.  Although it is interesting that all three of those will be out on the 3DS eShop by the time the new game comes out...

Other than that, I actually think that the game looks worryingly conservative.  It looks exactly like LttP, it even has a Moldorm boss... I'm concerned that, although it's officially a new game with new dungeons and a new story, they'll be relying too heavily on the idea of "LttP in 3D" to sell it.  I felt like Phantom Hourglass tried too hard to excite with the prospect of familiar and basic items like the Boomerang and the Bow being executed on the touch screen, and this could be the same.  Then again, the drawing gimmick looks excellent, so maybe I'm worried over nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks quite nice. At first I thought this would be just a 3D remake but hell this looks different despite the similar map, I believe this is te first Zelda game where it is set in the same world/map as another game already done in the series. It's nice to finally have another 2D Zelda game after so many years (PH and ST don't count) can't wait. Now the question is, is MM3D cancelled? I recall Miyamoto saying he wanted to make EITHER MM3D or LttP sequel... Maybe it's just being reserved for another year hopefully.

Nintendo has said they want to release a new Zelda before MM if they do remake it. Though, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Well, I can't say I'm excited about this new game. Nothing really caught my eyes, but I might change my opinion once we get more info along the way.

I never liked ALTTP, but this has interested me.  My main beef with 2D Zelda is I always find it super difficult to get a sense of place and remember my way around spaces I've already been to, and it looks like the dynamic camera and 3D effect of this might help that.

When Nintendo are continously making use of 3D vision in a way that enhances gameplay like this, I still do not understand how people write it off as a gimmick.

• Thumbs Up 4

This was literally what I wanted the new zelda 3ds game to be like. Birds eye view 3d being used in creative ways! Is this link model toon link with Retro styled clothes and hair color or is it a completely new model?

It's a new model.

image_54537.jpg

Quite different than Toon Link.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 8

Ah okay. I'm using my iPod so I couldn't see the screens, and I didn't look at link as much as the world in the video.:P

A Link to the Past is probably my least favourite 2D Zelda (post-NES, anyway... the original game is kind of beyond ranking), but 2D Zelda in general is something I've been missing for a while and this looks pretty great. The way-enhanced graphics should allow for much more vibrant and distinct environments, which would solve one of my biggest problems with the original. Giving the game a gimmick like most modern Zeldas should help make it feel less generic, too.

I do really like ALTTP's Link design (not as much as Oracle Link, but close), so I'm glad to see it return. It'll be nice to have something that isn't grr-serious Adult Link or Toon Link for once, at the very least.

...not to bog down the thread with timeline shit, but I wonder where this one will fit in with the original ALTTP and the Oracle games/Link's Awakening. Will this even be the same Link? If it is, that'd give him a three-game advantage over any other Link~

I whined about not being able to play Wind Waker, and we get a Wind Waker remake soon after. I then decide- out of all of the 2D Zelda games- to emulate A Link To The Past, and then we get a continuation.... 

BRB, going to go play a hell of a lot more Skyward Sword.

On a serious note, I enjoyed the little time I spent with the original (I got up to getting Zelda back to the castle before realizing I couldn't save). What I admired the most about it was that I was given a mission directive a few times and told to go off and figure things out on my own, where to go and what to do. At that point, a balance had been struck with the difficulty to where I didn't feel as if the dungeon design was too obtuse nor too easy. This may be too generous a view of the game considering it was only the first twenty or so minutes of it, but it's enticing me to find an emulator where I can save my progress and go through the entire thing.

As for this one, it looks perfectly in the vain of the original but dolled up respectfully in 3D, so that's good. I'm curious though what current-gen quirks they're going to add to the way the dungeons are designed and how long of a leash you have in terms of hints and clues.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not weirded out or anything, but I find it strange that link looks quite like a child when the link to the past artwork make him seem much older. Regardless, I'm GREATLY looking forward to this.

At first, it sounded like the 3DS equivalent of Link's Awakening DX, with the 3D boost instead of the color boost. Hell, the trailer seemed to emulate my thoughts - the first screens show the area with abd the area below the Twin Lumberjacks' house, and the next footage is of a new, 3D-based dungeon, similar to the DX Color-based dungeon. But the promise of a new story intrugues me. LttP is by favorite Zelda, by far. A bonafide sequel to it? <3333333333

I tried ALTTP a few times; bought it from the Wii's VC a few years ago. I didn't get along with it at all, so I'm sadly not very hyped for this. I might re-buy ALTTP on the Wii U (can't transfer from my Wii, it's 3000 miles away and a different region) and see if I can get into it again, but otherwise this is one new Zelda game I won't be getting. Sucks for me, but at least ALTTP fans have something to look forward to.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not a very big Zelda fan, but I must say if I did enjoy a Zelda game, it was a Link to the Past. It's easily my most favorite Zelda game, and I'm really happy to see Nintendo revisiting it with a sequel. 

I loved A Link to the Past, and this game looks pretty cool. Hopefully it introduces enough new mechanics to keep things fresh. 

The art looks a little bland, though. It's not bad, but it feels like it's playing things safe, which is a problem I've been having with a lot of Nintendo games lately. 

I never liked ALTTP, but this has interested me.  My main beef with 2D Zelda is I always find it super difficult to get a sense of place and remember my way around spaces I've already been to, and it looks like the dynamic camera and 3D effect of this might help that.

When Nintendo are continously making use of 3D vision in a way that enhances gameplay like this, I still do not understand how people write it off as a gimmick.

For some people (myself included) the 3D effect is annoying. Not to mention when I do find it useful it's because it's solving a problem the game itself created. For example, the jumps in Mario 3D Land are harder to judge than any other Mario game due to the isometric perspective- UNLESS you have the 3D on. I'd hardly call that "enhanced gameplay" especially when it gives me eye-strain. 

And while having 3D environments is nice and helpful, I don't really see how the 3D effect would really help people remember stuff.

• Thumbs Up 2

I never really found 3D helpful in SM3DL besides those special rooms. It looked nice, but that's it really. Never found jumps harder to judge without it on.

That's cool at any rate. 

The tree stump in front of the lumber jacks' house moved D:

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's cool at any rate. 

I like how the broken stump with a hole in it grew into a normal tree again. 

I like how the broken stump with a hole in it grew into a normal tree again. 

Or it's a prequel?