Awoo.

Mario Golf: World Tour (3DS)

Detective Shadzter

Mario Golf: World Tour features Mario Kart 7-style communities

Set your own rules for online golf tournaments

Posted by Thomas East on 17th Apr 2013 at 15:37

image_54553.jpg

Mario Golf: World Tour will use the Community feature that has been so successful in Mario Kart 7.

This community feature will enable you to play online against players across the globe and you'll able to upload your scores and test your skills.

As in Mario Kart 7, you can recruit friends to your community and play using set conditions. Special conditions include traditional golf with no special shots, compete in tournaments at certain times or a tournament in which you can only play as Luigi (it is the year of Luigi after all).

As well as these online modes, Mario Golf: World Tour also features local multiplayer.

Mario Golf World Tour's release date is set for summer 2013. Here are some new screenshots.

Are you looking forward to Mario Golf: World Tour?

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/48737/mario-golf-world-tour-features-mario-kart-7-style-communities/

Gameplay footage:

I've not played a game in this series before, as I'm not really into golf outside of crazy golf when on holiday :P However, the new information today about Mario Golf: World Tour's various competitive multiplayer modes have grabbed my interest. Online tournament play is also pretty cool.

You go Shadzter. You can get the 5 topic combo!

I'm not really interest in Golf. And there's probably no RPG mode in this, so I can't say I'm excited for this.

Loved N64 Mario Golf. I have vivid memories of my first VG ragequits because the computer is a cheating bastard. I'm excited for this, and hopefully you can unlock characters the N64 way. Also, Motoi Sakuraba. Work your magic with this soundtrack, buddy. <3

OH I totally forgot to say in the Direct topic, the new Mario Golf actually looks really fun and I'll prolly pick it up since it doesn't just look like a glorified port of the GameCube one like Mario Tennis Open did.

For the record, Toadstool Tour on Gamecube was a fantastic game.

(I wish wish wish they'd have a Crazy Golf sub-mode too though).

• Thumbs Up 1

I personally enjoyed Mario Tennis Open, but this looks liie it has much effort put into it. I love all of the Camelot Mario sports games, so I'm going to be picking this up ASAP.

I just hope they fix the AI. Not that it was bad all the time, but when computer just randomly gets a perfect shot and somehow gets a hole in one twice in a row...

The two prior Mario Golfs used some particularly generic course themes, now that I remember. Despite the various levels made between N64 MG and MGTT, MGTT didn't particularly make good with reflecting them. But then, maybe that's just appealing to golf in a way.

Whether that's true or not, I really hope some familar locales from the newer Marios are structured as courses this time around. A Mario Galaxy themed course, maybe one designed after Sticker Star, maybe even one structured after Donkey Kong Country Returns. Or at least used for some crazy awesome Putt-Putting.

Oh, and more human characters. The generic characters from N64 MG actually made the game better for me, and I'd love to see a new batch. Hell, bring the old set back, I'll use Plum and Harry every day.

Yeah, it would be nice if they based the courses off of existing Mario games. I know the courses in Toadstool Tour had more life in them, as did Power Tennis. It was a shame Mario Tennis Open was a regression. Also, Kongo Jungle would make the best course ever.

I certainly hope we don't go backwards from Toadstool Tour.  For those who didn't play, there was 6 courses I believe, and each one got progressively more "Mario".  If I recall, the tropes were a standard green golf course, a more foresty/waterscape course, a desert course (things started to get more surreal and "mario"-ish here), a coastal seaside course, and then we got full-blown Mushroom Kingdom stuff with surreal scenery, warp pipes that moved the ball around, rainbows, peach's castle and the like.

The final hole was actually this BEAUTIFUL approach to Princess Peach's Castle, at night with fireworks going off, almost as pretty as the Starbit Festival from Galaxy.  It was fantastic.

...Then you unlocked a really dreary but super challenging Bowser's Castle course, so it wasn't the final hole after all lol.  Still, Bowser's Castle had a ton of unique Mario-inspired holes, including flying Boos to avoid over a Boardwalk, and one that was basically the summit from Bob-Omb Battlefield.

• 1 month later...

...Then you unlocked a really dreary but super challenging Bowser's Castle course, so it wasn't the final hole after all lol.  Still, Bowser's Castle had a ton of unique Mario-inspired holes, including flying Boos to avoid over a Boardwalk, and one that was basically the summit from Bob-Omb Battlefield.

And 'dat SM64 Bowser remix.

• 8 months later...

Finally a new trailer and a final release date: May 2nd. The new single player mode looks neat and I'm really liking the look of some of the courses. (Particularly that Yoshi's Island one.) Also, Bowser melting the camera is just hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never cared a huge amount for the RPG-esque elements of the Game Boy Color game back in the day (I just wanna play as Mario characters lol) but this still looks really great.

My worries about not having a bunch of Mario themed courses and going back to basics have also been removed.  I dunno why I feared that, I guess after Mario Tennis Open was barely any different looking from Mario Power Tennis, and how Pilotwings Resort threw out 64's varied islands to have everything set on Wuhu, I feared this'd be another barebones update.

Looks to be a full rich game of new content.  Might even pick this up at launch.

EDIT: After making this post I looked up stuff about Mario Tennis Open and I take back my words, it had plenty of new stuff.  The trailers didn't do it justice.

Dat boxart. Man, I can't wait to get my hands on this game. I've always loved the Mario sports games, and Camelot's have nearly always been the best of them all. I'm definitely picking this up when I get the chance.

Nintendo have just unveiled Cheep Cheep Lagoon, which is... an underwater golf course?!

1909153_815687258461086_1308948723_o.jpg

1658382_815687248461087_716092471_o.jpg

1970870_815687238461088_1319777653_n.jpg

It'll apparently have different physics to the other courses due to being... well, underwater. Though how Mario and friends are managing to survive down there - and indeed act so naturally - is anyone's guess.

On a side note, is that a slightly new sports dress for Daisy? I know she's had something like it before in previous sports game but the design looks a bit different this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh I preferred her shorts look because it separated her design from Peach more.  Ah well.  =C  The course looks totally awesome.

Now I'm super intrigued about what courses they'll keep tucked away for the finale of the game.  This looks like the most Marioy Mario Golf yet.

Artwork for Daisy and her new sports dress:

Daisy_Artwork_-_Mario_Golf_World_Tour.pn

It does seem odd that they've put her back in a dress rather than the shorts she's had for the more recent Tennis and Golf titles... but then again, Peach has had shorts too in the Olympics and Baseball titles, so I guess it's just a matter of creative preference now.

If they're playing golf underwater, then wouldn't EVERYWHERE technically count as a water hazard? :P

If they're playing golf underwater, then wouldn't EVERYWHERE technically count as a water hazard? tongue.png

Cheep Cheep Lagoon - where everyone's a loser! :P

Also, random discovery, but I was going through some screenshots from this game and couldn't help but notice this:

CTRP_MarioGolf_scrn03_Ev04.png

Oddly, Peach is wearing her normal dress and has her parasol on her there. Assuming it isn't just some random costume change celebration animation... why isn't she in her sports dress here? Does this confirm possible alternate oufits? And maybe even alternate clubs, if we suspect the parasol might be used to whack golf balls around too?

It's probably nothing, and I haven't been following this game very much so someone could quite easily come along and shoot those theories down straight away, but it'd be a cool addition nevertheless.

The game definitely seems to have a lot of character from the courses alone. As much as I liked Mario Tennis Open, that game did feel a bit on the shallow side. Mario Golf World Tour seems to be hitting more of the right notes with the characters and courses. Definitely feels more... well, Mario-like. I'm keeping my eyes open for this.

And man, I bet strokes will be a BITCH in Cheep Cheep Lagoon.

Also, random discovery, but I was going through some screenshots from this game and couldn't help but notice this:

CTRP_MarioGolf_scrn03_Ev04.png

Oddly, Peach is wearing her normal dress and has her parasol on her there. Assuming it isn't just some random costume change celebration animation... why isn't she in her sports dress here? Does this confirm possible alternate oufits? And maybe even alternate clubs, if we suspect the parasol might be used to whack golf balls around too?

It's probably nothing, and I haven't been following this game very much so someone could quite easily come along and shoot those theories down straight away, but it'd be a cool addition nevertheless.

Oh yeah, that's just one of her victory poses. It was shown when they first revealed the game almost a year ago. She twirls a bit then poof! Peachy dress and parasol.

Play @ 1:53

Is that a new sports dress for Daisy?

Nah, she had it in Mario Tennis Open. I kind of prefer her shorts, but eh. I'm fine either way.