Awoo.

Sega 2013 "We release awesome games and tell nobody!"; " READ POST 498

Badnik Mechanic

Just looking through the magazine you linked to Hogfather and there's a short interview with SEGA Europe's Sissel Henno on page 18 about licenses and merch. Sonic is mentioned. 

With Sonic the Hedgehog we aim to involve the fans in a variety of ways, including boxed and digital games, TV, comics and much more.

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A249xq/LTWApril13edition/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Ffree.yudu.com%2Fitem%2Fdetails%2F817040%2FLTW-April-13-edition

Thirding the TV comment. Sonic's been pretty successful in the TV industry, whereas most videogame franchises retreated from the medium in the 90s, at least in America. It's been a while since Sonic X, so could they possibly have something else in mind? It's not entirely unreasonable.

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes and ears open.

There's a bit on page 39 about the upcoming toys, too. 

Maybe this time it will be a western made tv series with a competent writing staff behind it.

You know, unlike all those other times Sonic was on TV.

I mean, we could hope they're hinting at there being a new TV series at some point. It would have SOME logic behind it, given that prior cartoons have been used to advertise games. With how this next title is supposed to blow us away, maybe it's not entirely questionable?

Of course they could just be meaning they'd do more Baydge contests. Which would suck.

I'm gonna be puzzling over what they mean by involving fans via the TV for a while, definitely.

Yeah I spotted that interview too, I didn't mention it because I didn't think there was much to go on. With TV I wondered if they meant TV adverts  as apposed to show.

• Thumbs Up 1

Could just mean more focus on more advertisements and sponsorship deals, kinda like the Progressive adverts and the NASCAR sponsoring. 

Yeah, they could just mean TV ads. I thought that snippet from the interview might be worth mentioning all of the same.

Could just mean more focus on more advertisements and sponsorship deals, kinda like the Progressive adverts and the NASCAR sponsoring.

Would be good to see some TV presence like that in Europe. 

It probably will be just TV advertisements, but I do wonder what he meant by "involve the fans," then. I can't see many fans being that involved in advertisements, which is what's really puzzling me.

But hey, more advertisement's always good.

It probably will be just TV advertisements, but I do wonder what he meant by "involve the fans," then.

Probably social networking stuff, like Facebook.

Edited by Inferno

I live how their making it sound much more exciting than what it actually is.

That's kinda the whole point of PR. 

I think a new tv series, regardless of whether of not SEGA is actually planning one, would be a fantastic idea. The popularity of the games have waned a bit, but if SEGA launches a new tv show they could create a whole new set of Sonic fans. Essentially, if they make a popular show, they can use the popularity of the show to drive sales of the games. Of course, if SEGA is planning to build a new fandom, they better be confident in the first game released after the show launches since it might be the first Sonic game for many. I'd kind of love to see a CGI Sonic show paired with TMNT on Nickelodeon. Whatever's going on, I hope SEGA doesn't keep us waiting too much longer, but this is when SEGA usually teases new games so I'm not too worried.

• Thumbs Up 4

@Ved Yeah I know that, but it makes me laugh sometimes when fans speculate big an what it actually ends up being is some small thing/feature/etc. its business yes,but it also disappoints. Although for the fan participation part, if this is like generations when they ask fans on Facebook things that will dramatically effect the game,I'd be perfectly fine with this approach.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Probably social networking stuff, like Facebook.

Facebook isn't television, though, which was what I was curious about. There's advertisements, TV shows, or the very unlikely fan participation event. Advertisement is very possible as SEGA's shown they're open to just about any sort of arrangement.

But a TV show has a possibility of small profit on its own, and if released the same time as a new game could help boost sales, as was the intent with Sonic Heroes and Sonic X (if I remember right). And sure enough, Heroes is the best selling 3D game, isn't it?

That's kinda the whole point of PR. 

Eeeeyup.

I've seriously wondered if any Sonic Team higher ups have ever had someone just spend a day gathering information on the fanbase's reaction to information. Not too unreasonable, given that it would help with marketing.

• Thumbs Up 2

You guys don't know how much I would love to have a new Sonic TV show. Hopefully that message means more than just adverts. ;)

I do hope that if SEGA does make another cartoon, they give the writers/other creatives more firm control, so that more interesting and unique concepts can be introduced, perhaps things that weren't in the games.  It's part of what's led to such a diverse range of fans for the varying universes and characters within them.

But business wise, it makes more sense to maintain control, and release a product that is very similar to the games for consistency's sake...oh well.  Doesn't anyone else want a new Sonic universe to discuss?  SatAM/AoStH/Underground/X aren't getting any younger.

Edited by ChaosXVI

I just remembered, wasn't 2003 cited as "the year of Sonic", where there was a huge marketing push for Sonic with the release of Sonic Heroes, Sonic X, and a bunch of marketing and merch to go along with it?

Maybe 2013 is the decade long follow up to that, tongue.png

It can't be because it the Year of Luigi tongue.png

Edited by Shy Guy
  • Thumbs Up 7

But business wise, it makes more sense to maintain control, and release a product that is very similar to the games for consistency's sake...oh well.  Doesn't anyone else want a new Sonic universe to discuss?  SatAM/AoStH/Underground/X aren't getting any younger.

I don't want a new universe until Verruca the Lizard becomes part of game canon.

But seriously speaking, we should be able to do fine with only the game canon to discuss as long the future provides enough material to talk about. There are plenty of other franchises which are held up by games alone.

Besides, more universes just provide more fanbase fuckery down the line. You didn't even mention the Fleetway canon, or the OVA canon, or the Manga canon that I referenced up there. It's a mess!

I just remembered, wasn't 2003 cited as "the year of Sonic", where there was a huge marketing push for Sonic with the release of Sonic Heroes, Sonic X, and a bunch of marketing and merch to go along with it?

Maybe 2013 is the decade long follow up to that, tongue.png

If this was truly the case, that would be pretty cool.

It's not really new in a way since the art was used on the poster Hogfather posted on the opening post... =p