Awoo.

Sega 2013 "We release awesome games and tell nobody!"; " READ POST 498

Badnik Mechanic

It's not really new in a way since the art was used on the poster Hogfather posted on the opening post... =p

Yeah, I know. I rip it from magazine. 

Yeah, I know. I rip it from magazine. 

That really ruins resale value, you know? :/

Also yiss Sonic's lips don't look like a vaginal car wreck

I really never quite got the disdain for the models, but then again I'm not very hard to please.

At least their art teams are doing something. Still wish they'd go back to using Uekawa's art and stuff instead of 3D models... attracts far less rancor and the 2D art better fits a cartoony character.

That top spike looks very short at the back. Did Sonic get a haircut?

Presumably it's just the angle, I'd think. Sonic's topmost spike does tend to have the most fluctuation as I recall...

It would help if we had a full model to look at though and not just that snippet, but I suppose it's possible they had a design oversight here given it's just meant to be a minor advertisement.

Maybe it's a redesign a la Archie's Genesis arc? :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt it. It looks nearly identical to the Sonic Dash art to me bar that anomalous spike. 

I doubt it. It looks nearly identical to the Sonic Dash art to me bar that anomalous spike. 

Looking at it... yeeeeep. Looks to be exactly the same as the Sonic Dash art just without the weird arm position.

I suppose this is the main reason SEGA makes use of 3D models. Easy to quickly adjust the base model and thus save tons of money. A pity profit triumphs artistic value so much. :(

That, and 3D art probably looks more impressive to the kids, even if older folks prefer the 2D style (maybe). That's probably why Archie themselves tried to emulate the effect between #239 and #241.

• Thumbs Up 2

That, and 3D art probably looks more impressive to the kids, even if older folks prefer the 2D style (maybe). That's probably why Archie themselves tried to emulate the effect between #239 and #241.

Hmm, I suppose that angle makes sense. I just don't think there's as much wow factor with CGI in the Sonic series given that he's cartoony. You can only make Sonic look so realistic as well before it looks weird. Then again, I'm not a small child so my skepticism is going to be more developed. :P

At least we still get regular Uekawa art from the Sonic Channel if nothing else.

I suppose. But given that my fave characters aren't guaranteed to be in the yearly rota, I'm not quite as enthused as others about that (although I still check the site regularly, go figure).

This all sounds intruiging, but it's likely to just be marketing thus far. Those getting hyped up about "mega changes" and "amazing game that is so much better than the games before it" are being unrealistic of what Sega can and will do. That said, I'm curious, but patient.

Also Yorkshire Sonic for canon, that would be so funny. Either that or Cubot's voice will change multiple times a la Colours but Yorkshire is one of them :P

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 3

Forgetting Sonic for just one moment.

I'm interested in what other franchises SEGA might be bringing back, especially after they announced the HD re-make of the game, Castle of Illusion, which looks like it could be a really enjoyable 2.5d game.

I hope some other old gems get some love.

Edited by -Bender-

Looking at this new piece of art, I tried a mashup of this one, with the Dash one over it on a transparent layer. The result? This.

LerscUc.jpg

The eyes matched up near-perfectly after I rotated the Dash one a bit. There's a few differences such as how close the iris is to his muzzle, and the two lower spikes do seem to be longer with the top one being... quite short compared to usual, but that could be due to being in a different pose.

Edited by Super Spindash
  • Thumbs Up 2

It probably will be just TV advertisements, but I do wonder what he meant by "involve the fans," then. I can't see many fans being that involved in advertisements, which is what's really puzzling me.

But hey, more advertisement's always good.

sissel-henno.jpg

http://uk.linkedin.com/in/sisselhenno

Sissel Henno is not amused tongue.png

I don't think there's much point in comparing this piece of art with Sonic Dash's. it's just two renders of the same model with your standard Sonic grin in each. His face is always going to look similar when it's the same model...

• Thumbs Up 2

Forgetting Sonic for just one moment.

I'm interested in what other franchises SEGA might be bringing back, especially after they announced the HD re-make of the game, Castle of Illusion, which looks like it could be a really enjoyable 2.5d game.

I hope some other old gems get some love.

Ya, brought that up relating to Streets of Rage and Golden Axe yesterday, they have sonic on the brain

I'd love to see a Streets of Rage collection! Yes, even the third game needs some lovin.

Anyway about this tv show rumour, it could work! After all, Sonic X helped to sell Sonic Heroes. What I want to see though is a better written story and, if it's an anime, please give it to a GOOD animation company.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting that they're using the "Still Unstoppable" tagline that they cooked up for the 20th anniversary. 

5856427870_2cc97c90be.jpg

That's just about all I can comment on at the moment. That, and the annoying £120 fee for the licensing magazine. But I'm fairly sure it'll be nothing, so no biggie. I did notice one other instance of Sonic on the same banner:

merchantwise.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

It seems like they're really pushing Sonic as a whole.

A TV Series would be great, but would it feature an original story, or use one from a game like Sonic X did with the Adventure games? And what of another film? Both TV and film generate a lot of income and popularity.

Whatever happens, it seems to be heading toward an interesting year.

rSh3DGz.jpg

In a strange way. Glance and smile at this Sonic's. It's like Adventure era.

All that's I think, can really SEGA plans to Adventure game? ww

-- This is just a guess・・・あれあれ

"Unstoppable"

Well, that might be because SEGA's shoving out like 16 games a year.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Unstoppable"

Well, that might be because SEGA's shoving out like 16 games a year.

That was true until 2012.

• Thumbs Up 6