Awoo.

Pacific Rim- "Chicks dig Giant Robots!"

Jacky

what the fuck we didn't have a topic about this film? why

(pressed enter too quickly, whoops)

This movie looks fantastic. it got everything to make me feel interested. I MEAN LOOK AT CRIMSON TYPHOON. FRIGGIN FOUR ARMS.

AND STRIKER EUREKA WOW AUSTRALIA.

Edited by Blue Wisp
  • Thumbs Up 2

I thought I heard Glados briefly in that trailer.

Yeah, Ellen McLain's in the film as the Jaeger's computer.

Guillermo del Toro asked Valve permission to use her GLaDOS voice on purpose.

This film can be one of two things. Either one of the best geek sci-fi films ever created or a shining example of missing the mark and squandering potential.

For these reasons it's the film I'm most eager to see.

• Thumbs Up 4

This looks terrible. Well, the trailer itself doesn't look terrible, but it's a good trailer with all the signs of a terrible movie. I think this is going to be all style and no substance like a bad Michael Bay movie. Meh, good ahead Pacific Rim, prove me wrong

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm don't normally watch this kind of film; all big special effects and little in the way of meaty characterization and all that, but the trailers for this film just blow me away and really get me excited. It's weird. I have a small feeling that this film might possibly end up becoming this decade's Independence Day; one of those big, bold sci-fi blockbusters that we'll remember for a long time afterwards. It might not, of course, we'll just have to see, but I'm looking forward to it.

I posted these in the movie thread some time ago, but here they are again, Pacific Rim's posters:

USA - Gypsy Danger

hF8O5VT.jpg

Australia - Striker Eureka

eyhmA2z.jpg

Russia - Cherno Alpha

ZSGEd4i.jpg

China - Crimson Typhoon

8hqqVSF.jpg

Japan - Coyote Tango

w0mZ8eT.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

First Iron Man 3, then Star Trek, then Monster's University, then Man of Steel and now this?! This summer is going to be freaking sweet!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm very excited to see this. I have faith in del Toro, he's a pretty awesome director. I've been stoked for a mind-blowing tribute to mecha and kaiju for years; I really hope this film turns out to be exactly what I've been waiting for.

• Thumbs Up 1

Totally excited for this movie, the robot designs are cool as shit and it's been forever since we had a great giant monster movie (other than the meh Cloverfield), I expect to be blown away, especially by the affects.

On the next episode of It's Always Sunny.

ZVBhKrp.jpg

Edited by Balding Spider
  • Thumbs Up 2

Holy hell this looks awesome. I haven't watched that many giant robot mecha anime shows aside from the Transformers Unicron trilogy (Armada, Energon and Cybertron, basically), but after seeing Bay's live action version of said franchise and now this shows itself? Hell yeah, count me in.

First Iron Man 3, then Star Trek, then Monster's University, then Man of Steel and now this?! This summer is going to be freaking sweet!

I KNOW RIGHT? I swear, this year and 2012 will have had the best movie summers. 

6f6.gif

Who doesn't love giant robots fighting giant monsters? I'm very confident that Del Toro will do a fine job with this, since I definitely consider him a great director. It's been a while since we seen something like this from hollywood, and if they play their cards right, this can definitely be something of a real showstopper if the story and characterization matches the quality of the effects.

If you couldn't tell from my profile picture I'm all for synchronization with giant robots that beat up things that want to destroy earth and I'm incredibly excited to watch this. 

It's just me that this seems a mixture between Evangelion and the Michael Bay's Transformers movies?

-in case you wonder, i didn't like both of them-

Edited by Teoskaven

It's neither. There were shows about giant robots punching monsters before the 90's, you know.

This looks terrible. Well, the trailer itself doesn't look terrible, but it's a good trailer with all the signs of a terrible movie. I think this is going to be all style and no substance like a bad Michael Bay movie. Meh, good ahead Pacific Rim, prove me wrong

The Hellboy Movies were good, Pans Labyrinth was good from what I heard, the First Mimic Movie was not bad from what I recall, The Hobbit was kinda mixed but still positive

so there,  would say Del Toro can deliver on this being Good, we'll see.

It's just me that this seems a mixture between Evangelion and the Michael Bay's Transformers movies?

-in case you wonder, i didn't like both of them-

Del Toro is a fan of Mech Anime and Giant Monsters, so I guess the simliarities between Evangelion (and other such series for that matter) are deliberate.

as for the Bay Simliarities...No? Giant Robots and Big explosions weren't really invented by 'Ol Bay and all, so thats about where the comparsion ends to Me.

also I feel like it needs repeating that this Giant Mechaloid knocked over this there Oversized Monster Creature with a Freight of the Enmormous kind.

• Thumbs Up 2

I thought Del Toro had washed his hands away form The Hobbit and that the film that ended up releasing was all on Jackson's hands?

I thought Del Toro had washed his hands away form The Hobbit and that the film that ended up releasing was all on Jackson's hands?

Yeah, he was supposed to direct it but he ended up being merely responsible for part of it's screenplay.

Del Toro has a phenomenal filmography under his belt and I trust that Pacific Rim will turn into a complete nerd-off done right, unlike Bayformers.

Pretty much. If there's one flaw to appoint to Del Toro, is that he grabs a ton of projects at the same time and then starts dropping them as he's too busy.

Clearly this wasn't one of them, so it's all good. The mecha look great and so do the kaiju.

EDIT: Also, Hollywood studios are already grabbing a metric shitton of licenses in case this film succeeds. Warner Bros is prepping Macross/Robotech, Sony got Gundam, I remember someone had Voltron... everyone's just waiting to see if Pacific Rim's a success or a bust.

Edited by Captain Harlock

Haven't been keeping up with this very often, but now that it's getting close to release I've gotta say I'm pretty excited. Hopefully I can go see it when it's out. Looks like it'll be a blast.

2,500 tons of awesome

The way that line was said made me laugh.

But anyway, I've hearing a lot about this film lately, and from the trailer, it looks to be a good one, so count me in as someone wanting to see it! I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a blunder that was hyped up by the trailer.

I fucking love giant robots with a cosmic passion, so naturally I'm pretty stoked about this movie.  I really like that it's aiming for a global unity/cosmopolitan theme as opposed to the 'MURRICAN GREATNESS the Transformers films were going for.

Personally, I'm hoping that this gives more popularity to mecha in the West.  I'm kind of tired of it just being a niche genre everywhere outside of Japan.  Don't let me down, Del Toro.

• Thumbs Up 1

LOOK AT THIS MOTHER

pacificrim_poster_striker_vs_kaiju.jpg

man, whoever's not excited for this movie, i'm sorry but i have to say that you've got a mediocre taste. Just look at that <3

• Thumbs Up 2

Is that Coyote Tango? Didn't remember it having backfins. Looks great.