Awoo.

Pacific Rim- "Chicks dig Giant Robots!"

Jacky

Was this movie advertised in the US?

While I was in France, I saw a billion posters for this movie. I never heard of it until I was there.

Welp got home and here are my thoughts:

HELL FUCKING YES!! That movie was freaking awesome. It had INCREDIBLE special effects on par with Avatar at several points. The plot was a lot better than I expected, plenty of character development, nice balance of action and plot, great one-liners, EPIC fight scenes, HELL there were actually scenes that brought the faintest tear to my eye and then 10 seconds later blow my brains out with rocket power.

The ending was really freaking great, honestly didn't expect them to throw the WHOLE DAMN ROBOT IN THERE!! That is something I have not seen in any sort of media with Mechs and Kaijus. The scenes with Marshall and Mako were pretty damn moving in terms of emotions, something I did not expect out of this ESPECIALLY the whole radiation poisoning thing that came out of nowhere.

So tl;dr
FUCKING AWESOME MOVIE, amazing special effects, good plot, and overall rocket filled adrenaline punch to the NOSTALGIA FEELS

10/10

Edited by LordMetallix

This movie? In like a few words?

HECK YES

This movie was super fucking fun. I actually kinda loved the story and human cast going on (which is what I heard some differing opinions on), but of course the fighting scenes and epicness is what I came for, and it sure did deliver. The movie definitely had some cheese factor at times, and the story was pretty predictable, but anyone going to go see this movie for that reason solely is missing the point entirely I think, and it was still really enjoyable regardless anyways I thought.

The fights were stellar. I mean I can't really go in depth on that since it's just giant mechs hitting giant monsters and vice versa but it was AWESOME, XD. Totally don't care if I'm coming off as an 11 year old boy hooked on explosions and loud noises, since that was the whole fun of it. I know everyone says "uh it's just Godzilla and Power Rangers" that doesn't know what it is or whatever, but the one thing I gotta agree with that statement is that it brought me back to the same joy as those 2 things, but in a much more epic and current level of technology scale.

Definitely recommend it if you're just looking for some awesome action to fulfill your mech and/or giant monsters of mayhem needs. Already wanna go see it again.

DAT SWORD. DEM ROCKET ELBOWS.

• Thumbs Up 6

Pacific Rim was pretty great. The combat scenes have already been spoken for, and honestly they're some of the best I've seen. The Kaiju are strong, and it quickly gets that point across, even in the first fight. As for the things other than the main attraction, although I think the main character lost some of his enjoyability early on and even became forgettable, the other characters really made up for it. Both the scientists in particular were very enjoyable and had a great dynamic. The designs are memorable, each Jaeger and Kaiju very separate from one another.

I don't like how the other Jaegers were defeated so quickly. I was hoping that they'd last at least another ten minutes so that it wasn't just Gipsy Danger versus two Kaiju. That said, when this happened, I was concerned on whether or not the humans would prevail, that maybe they would dig underground and hide, biding their time and building better Jaegers and setting up for a sequel.

All things considered, it's a great action movie. Definitely see it if you are into the whole giant robots thing. I mean, who doesn't dig giant robots?

One in a heavily advertised franchise featuring Adam Sandler that is also a sequel to a hit movie.

The other is.. most people that I've talked to don't even know what Pacific Rim is.

Sad but true. The ratings for GU2 are laughable.

Whew. Saw this a little earlier today.

Not much to say about it that hasn't been said, but despite some cruddy dialogue here and there and the occasional really weird minor plot point, it was basically a toku nerd's dream come true. I'm probably going to see it again soon.

It's a pity that it looks like it's doing slow numbers so far, but at least there are still foreign markets to consider. I hope it (and the new Godzilla, if that's good) really catches on in Japan; I'd love to see a new golden age of giant monster movies there, maybe a new full-length Ultraman series...

But yeah, my only disappointment was definitely that the two coolest Jaegers were both taken out in about thirty seconds with little fanfare. It definitely set the stakes well and brought some real tension to the later fights, but goddamn if I wasn't still aching for some more Russian tank-man action.

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS AWESOME! NOW THAT"S HOW YOU DO A GIANT ROBOT MOVIE, FUCK YOU BAYFORMERS!

Yeah, it was really great! Was surprised at how well the human element was done, and of course the giant mecha fights were AWESOME! It was just pure fun from start to finish! 

I do agree that the other two Jagers should have lasted longer (it was kind underwhelming how quickly they went down), but at the same time it did a great job building unexpected amounts of tension so I can't really complain. 

That final scene in particular was really goddamn effective. Initially I thought it was a suicide mission, and then I thought it was one of those "one co-protagonist sacrifices him/herself to save the other" type-things, and then they both end up surviving! It kept subverting my expectations.

Also, WHERE'S MY GODDAMN SHOE?! Best final scene ever. 

So yeah, awesome movie! Maybe I'll go into more detail later, but for now yeah! 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 1

This movie...God...this movie.

Now, laugh as much as you want, but I cried in joy during the last part of this masterpiece. Me and my pals regressed to our 8-year old selves. I have seen the eyes of a friend of mine, a man stressed by his job and his personal problems, sparkling with glee during all the movie. I'm so moved by this love letter to the  mecha genre that I'm really speechless. Go see it, it was money well spent. And the best part? For once, I can really say that the 3-D really added to the experience.

Even though I always thought it was cool to have a western movie tackle mecha and kaiju I can't say I was ever really hyped for this. But man did it surprise me. Such a smart, fun film, it knew what it wanted to be and it was exactly that. The story was simple and there wasn't the most intricate character development but it had just as much as it needed to. The fight scenes were satisfying (what an understatement) and never overstayed their welcome. The designs, the goddamn designs, my god they're so fantastic and the animation does beyond an incredible job bringing it all to life. I don't think it's the best movie on the planet but I don't think it wanted to be, it was certainly executed as perfectly as it could have been. I really have no complaints and would definitely recommend it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Definitely something I'd recommend for anyone who wants to go down nostalgia lane; I felt like I was watching Gundam with aliens.

It seems very short despite its two hour length, which is actually a good sign - normally long movies only feel long if they're boring. You won't get bored, definitely. Between the action and romance there's even some humor to lighten the mood, so there's a little bit of everything.

Also, don't forget to stay until after the credits, a nice little surprise for everyone on that!

Uhh. Riddick, Elysium, Gravity, that Jeff Bridges movie based on a series of YA novels I've never heard of...

Nothing that impressed me terribly. Some kind of Godzilla teaser might've been appropriate, but I guess that's too early in production for there to be anything to show.

So, I just got back from seeing this movie, and it was so worth it. Everything that could be said has probably been already said, though I will say that the 3D is absolutely fantastic, they definitely didn't half-ass it. The fights were awesome and highly visceral. It wasn't 'deep', but it didn't need to be, and at the same time, it wasn't mindless. It did everything right that the Transformers movies did wrong, and so, so much more.

I hadn't been to a cinema in years, but I heard this movie was so worth it, and it damn well was.

It's probably for the best that there's no video game adaptation, few studios could actually make the game live up to the actual film, I think. (Edit: Nevermind, I forgot there was one. Still, that one looks a bit iffy, third-person shooter controls for what should be a brawler? Really?)

Oh, and lastly? I feel proud to be an Australian, thanks to Striker and its pilots.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

I'm not too upset about the box office performance; it's still got a shot.  It's only the opening weekend and it has good word-of-mouth.  Many films don't even make a big fraction of their lifetime earnings over the first two days.  Worst case scenario, it introduces a new wave of people to mecha and kaiju fiction.  I really hope Godzilla is good so it can keep that momentum going.

It's probably for the best that there's no video game adaptation, few studios could actually make the game live up to the actual film, I think.

But there is one...

Edited by Stingray 64

Took my girlfriend to see it last night, neither of us thought to much of it.

You can throw all the fancy CGI robots into a film as much as you like, but not at the expense of boring characters and a cliché story with plot holes a mile wide. Especially not when most of the fights take place at night and with the robots half submerged in water. And even then, it's difficult to see the robots and monsters as the camera jumps between ridiculous close ups and shots of the robot cockpit.

Wait for the DVD release, don't waste money on this at the cinema.

Took my girlfriend to see it last night, neither of us thought to much of it.

You can throw all the fancy CGI robots into a film as much as you like, but not at the expense of boring characters and a cliché story with plot holes a mile wide. Especially not when most of the fights take place at night and with the robots half submerged in water. And even then, it's difficult to see the robots and monsters as the camera jumps between ridiculous close ups and shots of the robot cockpit.

Wait for the DVD release, don't waste money on this at the cinema.

You're in a minority so far bro.  Infact what I liked about this film was that the fancy stuff wasn't at the expense of the other elements of the film.  To me I found the film had a lot of heart.  The story was simple and to the point.  It didn't need to be complex and it didn't try to be.  I liked all of the characters personally.  They're quite archetypal but at the same time each had their own quirks to make them stand out.  Stacker, Mako and the two scientists were the two characters I personally liked the most.  Acting was a little wooden at times (particularly towards the end) but well done for the most part.  I'm also not getting what plot holes you're talking about (heck and I've seen the film twice).  The plot is simple and never deviates from its initial premise barring the little subplot with the scientists (if you can call it that).

Though I disagree with you to the moon about the lack of clarity of the CGI shots.  Unlike the Transformers films for example, I thought the action was very crisp and clear due to how vivid the designs of each of the Jaeger and Kaiju are, how clear the camera shots are and how well animated everything is.  Heck this is easily some of the best CGI I've seen in years.

So yeah, I can't really agree with the statement "don't waste your money on this one".

• Thumbs Up 6

Watching this on DVD would ruin a lot of the visual spectacle of seeing it on a huge ass screen, i would think.

• Thumbs Up 8

The Creatures take a creaturetastic trip to go see giant robots fight giant frog things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjLTa7PQYqQ&feature=c4-overview&list=UU6JmDMC2x3vafwH5QRB1khA

I'm also not getting what plot holes you're talking about 

Why was the Jaeger program cancelled when it was the only effective measure at beating the Kaiju?

Why were Idris Elba and American Pilot able to pilot the Jaegers alone?

Why did Hong Kong still have a civilian population?

How would the pilots of Crimson Typhoon be able to process and comprehend having three arms?

Why is Gipsy Danger described as being 'analogue' and the other Jaegers 'digital'?

Why would you build a bipedal robot and then fight primarily in waist deep water against Kaiju that are capable of swimming?

There's a few for you.

Edited by pooshoes

A lot of that comes down to "because this is a movie about giant robots" and "they did it with fighting spirit, because this is a movie about giant robots".

The whole abandoning-the-Jaeger-program-to-build-blatantly-ineffective-walls thing was a bit weird, though, yeah. I kind of got the impression that the Kaiju beatdowns had gotten so bad that nobody could afford Jaegers anymore and the walls were a way of placating the public while the human race curled up in a ball and prepared to go extinct (especially since no military stepped in with backup when things really went bad near the end of the movie), but that doesn't really match up with the standard "underdogs sidelined by the authorities who save the day in the end" narrative the movie was presenting.

How was this movie for those who saw it? And is it more like a kaiju film or a mecha anime?

A lot of that comes down to "because this is a movie about giant robots" and "they did it with fighting spirit, because this is a movie about giant robots".

The whole abandoning-the-Jaeger-program-to-build-blatantly-ineffective-walls thing was a bit weird, though, yeah. I kind of got the impression that the Kaiju beatdowns had gotten so bad that nobody could afford Jaegers anymore and the walls were a way of placating the public while the human race curled up in a ball and prepared to go extinct (especially since no military stepped in with backup when things really went bad near the end of the movie), but that doesn't really match up with the standard "underdogs sidelined by the authorities who save the day in the end" narrative the movie was presenting.

From what I could see, at the beginning when the 'council' were seeing the Jager program faltering and, in typical bureaucrat fashion, decided that the big walls they were building would somehow be more effective. And then about five minutes later, it turns out that the kaiju can bust through the wall, in no time flat. There's also another major reason why the walls are completely useless revealed later on, though that's not really brought up due to circumstances and because they've already established that said walls are completely worthless anyhow.

And even then, said bureaucrats are in practically in denial in front of the media to save face. It's pretty much the standard "bureaucrats are idiots" thing.

How was this movie for those who saw it? And is it more like a kaiju film or a mecha anime?

Look through the thread, there's about a dozen reactions saying "fuck yeah, it's awesome", and it's one big homage to both genres.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

I dunno. I get that that was what they seemed to be going for, but the Sydney attack really did make the walls seem too useless to bother investing in, even for the most stubborn bureaucrats. They'd have to realize that with no protection that actually works they're essentially condemning themselves to death. The only explanation that really fits is that the world is too bankrupt to make any more Jaegers, and most nations figure it'll ward off riots if they give people work and false hope with the walls.

Except the movie frames it in terms of "they're taking away our funding" and not "there is literally no money left", which is weird.