Awoo.

3D Sonic the Hedgehog coming to eShop

Autosaver

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=202092

I'm actually quite interested in the version. Sure we've had millions of ports already, but I'd love to see how the Sonic graphics translates into 3D. Seems like it could enhance the experience and make the game look even better.

Sonic Retro Blurb

Another year, another insatiable urge for Sega to release a brand new iteration of Sonic 1. Launching May 15 in Japan, Sonic 1 joins Super Hang-On and Space Harrier as the first three 3D Classic Mega Drive remakes for the Nintendo 3DS. This is to commemorate the Mega Drive’s 25th Anniversary in Japan.

While this isn’t particularly thrilling news, and especially on the toes that Christian “The Taxman” Whitehead is at work on a Sonic 1 remake for Sega along with the Sonic Scene enigmatic man known as Stealth, the game will follow the line of other 3D Classic series titles on the 3DS that uses the system’s 3D features to add depth to the the game’s background.

As for what’s included in this particular version of Sonic 1, expect exciting new features such as the never-been-added-before Spin Dash Attack and special animations on Green Hill Zone’s clouds and Labyrinth Zone’s rippled water. Oh, and some nonsense about customizable controls and “CLASSIC” display mode, which makes the game look like you’re playing it right off a CRT TV running the Mega Drive via its RF Adapter.

For the audiophiles, a mode is also included to adjust the balance of  the PSG and FM audio. On top of that, players can choose Mega Drive 1 sounding balance or Mega Drive 2.

While the core Sonic 1 experience is still the same as ever, the added features for general Mega Drive 3D Classic remakes are actually pretty neat, and certainly better influenced than Nintendo’s own 3D Classic outings.

Edited by Autosaver

Fuck, this mislead the shit out of me. Otherwise, meh.

• Thumbs Up 4

I thought this was an unrelated port to the iOS version at first so at first I was like "eh what's the point in this aside from 3D?" but it seems like some screens below are featuring the Spin Dash. Not sure if it means this is a separate port or if it actually is the Taxman version. Really hope it's the latter.

@Sean

Oh god! You're right! Time to ask him on Twitter. :P

If Taxman is releasing Sonic 1 on the 3DS then it'd be fantastic to have these enhanced versions on a handheld console.

However what throws me off is that the screenshots aren't widescreen, which is what initially indicated to me that this had nothing to do with the upcoming iOS version. The official Sega site does mention that there also will be a save feature though, so it's a definite possibility.

「途中セーブ」機能で、プレイ中いつでもセーブが可能です。セーブデータは「途中ロード」を選ぶことで何度でも同じところから再開することができます。また、「スペシャル」をONにすると、最終ゾーンやスペシャルステージを含めたすべてのアクトから好きなステージを選択できますので、好きなアクトを繰り返し遊んでみたり、苦手な面をスキップしたり練習したりできます。

In "the middle save" function, save is possible at any time during play. Save data will be able to resume from the same place again and again by choosing the "middle road". In addition, it is set to ON, "special", so you can choose your favorite stage from the act of all, including the special stage and the final zone, practicing or playing around and repeat your favorite act, you can skip the weak surface I can or.

It also hints that the US version of the game can be selected, too.

日本バージョンのほかに、先行発売された海外バージョンもプレイできます。海外バージョンは日本バージョンと演出やボーナスなど細かい部分に違いがあります。

In addition to the Japanese version, overseas version of the pre-sale will also be able to play. There is a difference between a small part such as bonuses and production with Japan version Overseas version.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow...they must really want us to play Sonic 1. I have to say though, I am kinda interested on how they would add 3D effects.

if they even added 3D effects

Edited by XtremerSadiq

Title is misleading as fuck. My reaction

My reaction

tumblr_m9fwr5g3ld1rpnk74.gif

But really.. why would they release an 3D Sonic game (with no title) that's exclusive to 3DS and is only downloadable?

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 5

Right, so, updated my last post with Google translated info of some of the important stuff on the site. Everything else is easy to figure out just by looking at the screenshots. Though there's one really interesting thing at the bottom:

ゲーム音のボリューム設定のほか、オリジナル版が発売されていたメガドライブの内蔵音源、FM音源とPSG音源の発声バランスを再現した「バランスサンプル」では、初代メガドライブとメガドライブ2のバランスの2種類から選択できます。

In addition to the volume settings of the game sound, reproduced built-in sound of the Mega Drive had been released the original version, the utterance balance of PSG sound and FM sound in "balanced sample", two types of balance of Mega Drive 2 and the first Mega Drive I can choose from.

It was mentioned before that the iOS version will have enhanced sound... so maybe this is the same thing?

I can only imagine the migraines those special stages will cause when viewed in 3D.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sega rep: "DUDE LETS RE-RELEASE SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (91) AGAIN!!"

Sega: "AMAZING IDEA! DAT MONEY WILL BE GREAT"

Fans: "NOT AGAIN. GIVE US A NEW SONIC GAME"

• Thumbs Up 5

This could be pretty cool if they give all the deforming sub layers in the background different depth, though I imagine this working better in Sonic 3, particularly Launch Base Zone.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Sega rep: "DUDE LETS RE-RELEASE SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (91) AGAIN!!"

Sega: "AMAZING IDEA! DAT MONEY WILL BE GREAT"

Fans: "NOT AGAIN. GIVE US A NEW SONIC GAME"

C'mon, you know and I know we'll all buy them anyway.

Anyway, I always thought "Man, it'd be nice if the Mega Drive Sonics were on the 3DS". Then this.

I don't own a 3DS so if it was coming to the US and UK then I wouldn't be able to play it.

Still, I'm sure this is the exact same thing as the Taxman version.

God dammit. 

Every time I swear I'm never ever going to buy Sonic 1 ever again, they go and put out a version that actually warrants me buying it again. mellow.png

Oh well, at least I can get the HD iOS port for free. D:

Oh hell yes, hopefully this will be the new definitive version of the game after Sonic Jam's one. If it's still got the Time Attack feature from the iOS version, in addition to probably already running at a constant framerate, then they've... well, already sold me on the basis of it being Sonic 1 on the go, I suppose. It's got to run better than Classic Collection's version, right? Right?

... though, of course this would be solely announced from Japan, just like with the other SEGA 3D Classics. When the hell are we, the rest of the world, actually getting in on those at all? I want the new versions of Super Hang-On and Space Harrier that Japan's already had announced! I've got money aside for those already and everything! I'm really anxious to hear about whether we're even getting them anymore. D:

Edited by t0ms0nic

I hope it comes out over seas.....not too long after Japan.....

I'm sold. Sonic 1 is a pretty solid game, and I need more 3DS Sonic goodness.

If this leads to the classic trilogy (and CD) coming to the 3DS then I'll take 20.

Edited by Cola

Shouldn't this thread be called "Sonic the Hedgehog '3D Classic' coming to the eShop" and shouldn't it be in the Upcoming Games forum?

• Thumbs Up 1

I've my doubts this is Taxman's version - His stuff tends to be under the guidance of SEGA of America, and thus announced by it.

HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK STOP RELEASING SONIC 1

SERIOUSLY SEGA.  COME THE FUCK ON.  AT LEAST RELEASE 3&K OR SOMETHING THAT PEOPLE HAVEN'T PLAYED TEN BILLION GODDAMN TIMES.

-storms off-

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh boy awesome.  I loves me some 3D, and the concept of the 3D Classics series, and at last a game appears on it that I absoloutely love.

Really hope it is widescreen but not a huge deal if it isn't.

Surely they'd HAVE to be using the taxman build?  You can't just add 3D to an old game like this without rebuilding it from scratch can you?  Why would they do that again when there is literally a rebuilt version being created at the same time within the company?

I dunno, I don't see SEGA Japan being very interested in using Taxman's version. I suppose it's wait and see.

Well that's why it's called an OoT remake, they could just add 3D effects, with the parallax backgrounds aswell, along with spindash and a save feature, sounds like its the Tacman version, guess we will have to wait until we see the credits