Awoo.

3D Sonic the Hedgehog coming to eShop

Autosaver

HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK STOP RELEASING SONIC 1

SERIOUSLY SEGA.  COME THE FUCK ON.  AT LEAST RELEASE 3&K OR SOMETHING THAT PEOPLE HAVEN'T PLAYED TEN BILLION GODDAMN TIMES.

-storms off-

what about sonic 2? I always see people saying something about S3&K but never 2.

what about sonic 2? I always see people saying something about S3&K but never 2.

Sonic 2 has also had a lot of re-releases.

Surely they'd HAVE to be using the taxman build?  You can't just add 3D to an old game like this without rebuilding it from scratch can you?  Why would they do that again when there is literally a rebuilt version being created at the same time within the company?

I'm not sure, but I don't believe it's outside the realms of possibility on an emulation.

I hope that SEGA decides to release this around here with the other games they did that. I really want to play this "3D" version of Space Harrier.

also I dream of a rerelease of Planet Harriers.

I hope that SEGA decides to release this around here with the other games they did that. I really want to play this "3D" version of Space Harrier.

also I dream of a rerelease of Planet Harriers.

I agree on planet harriers, I played that once in an arcade and it was great! but its never been ported to a home system sad.png

Also I am still hoping for a Knuckles Chaotix port(consoles AND PC)

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

You guys just aren't reading the signs.

This latest Sonic 1 rehash reported by Sonic Retro guarantees that Sega is planning something big, really big for 2d Sonic.

We just have to buy BOTH versions of Sonic 1 so the future good of the franchise is secured. If you don't buy both versions then you must hate Sonic and don't want good things for him.

I'm not talking out of my butt on this, Sonic Retro told us this and they are geniuses with their pulse on all things Sonic.

Edited by Get Over Here
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know, I remember when the 3DS was first announced, we were talking about a Sonic 1-3 re-release on the platform with 3D Backgrounds and stuff.

Now it's happening WITH a Spin Dash and save state.

............Fuck, this is gonna be my 3rd time buying Sonic 1.

You guys just aren't reading the signs.

This latest Sonic 1 rehash reported by Sonic Retro guarantees that Sega is planning something big, really big for 2d Sonic.

We just have to buy BOTH versions of Sonic 1 so the future good of the franchise is secured. If you don't buy both versions then you must hate Sonic and don't want good things for him.

I'm not talking out of my butt on this, Sonic Retro told us this and they are geniuses with their pulse on all things Sonic.

But we have no idea if this is a Taxman/Stealth one or just another emulation

Star Wars, a cinema classic, has been released numerous times on various platforms - VHS, Betamax, LaserDisc, DVD, blu-ray... Every time I watch it, no matter the format, I love the movie (though the quality of the transfer and various other elements change). 

So why is it that Sonic the Hedgehog, a video game classic, gets released numerous times and certain people cry foul and lose their shit? Is Sonic 1 a bad game? Fuck no. It is the backbone of the franchise and is up there with other classics like Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros. and Space Invaders. 

Hate the quality of the port, don't hate the game. From what I see, the 3D Classics are competent, quality, ports of classic SEGA games with enough new features to justify a purchase, whilst still retaining what makes the original game great. Same can be said for Taxman's iOS remastering. This isn't Backbone slapping a ROM on the 3DS, or SEGA West slapping a choppy ROM on iOS, or Sonic Genesis on GBA. So calm down. If you really hate the idea of this rerelease that much, maybe you should question how much you like the original Sonic the Hedgehog itself. Because, like I said, Sonic 1 is an awesome game worthy of replaying when the port is done well. 

If the argument is "yeah, well SEGA just rereleases this game too much and thats what pisses me off" then reread what I wrote. If the game is good, the port has care and attention put into it, and the rerelease offers up some new features then it isn't something to complain about. And if you still have a problem with it, just don't buy the damn thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

But we have no idea if this is a Taxman/Stealth one or just another emulation

So you want Sonic to fail? Who cares about things like "quality". If these ports don't make money Sega will never give us the new classic style games we want. It's simple math guys. 

How dare you question the members of Sonic Retro. Ten lashings.

Edited by Get Over Here

While I share your sentiments Barry, good ports/ remasters DESERVE to be bought, it does annoy me and piss me off slightly when people start going "omg buy this, it will save the franchise!" I'll most probably buy it, but I know a lot of people who would only buy it IF SEGA say that they will release something if x number of copies get sold.

• Thumbs Up 2

While I share your sentiments Barry, good ports/ remasters DESERVE to be bought, it does annoy me and piss me off slightly when people start going "omg buy this, it will save the franchise!" I'll most probably buy it, but I know a lot of people who would only buy it IF SEGA say that they will release something if x number of copies get sold.

Who said that? I know Sonic Retro folks said to pick up the iOS version, and not to talk shit about it, because it is a competent port (as seen in Taxman's Sonic CD), but I haven't seen anything about it "saving the franchise". At best, it'll get it through the skulls of SEGA's top brass that we want quality ports rather than crappy rereleased ROMs. 

I don't think any company should give an ultimatum of "buy X number of copies or you don't get Y", it's a product, not a charity. And it looks bad if SEGA themselves are so strict with consumers by stating "we gave you this, if you don't buy it it's your fault that we will not release (insert game name here)". 

However, there is nothing wrong with fans like the Sonic Retro folks giving their two cents and urging fans to buy Taxman's Sonic 1 to send a message to SEGA. As for "Get Over Here"'s nonsense, your making up shit that Sonic Retro folks have never said. Stop being an ass.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is likely a port by M2 which means it will still be a pretty good port, plus it's in 3D, something the other versions can't boast. That alone makes it pretty worthwhile. The sound options especially seem pretty neat for this one.

However, there is nothing wrong with fans like the Sonic Retro folks giving their two cents and urging fans to buy Taxman's Sonic 1 to send a message to SEGA. As for "Get Over Here"'s nonsense, your making up shit that Sonic Retro folks have never said. Stop being an ass.

Was trying to say this but couldn't figure out how to word it. Thank you. tongue.png

Edited by Mykonos
  • Thumbs Up 1

However, there is nothing wrong with fans like the Sonic Retro folks giving their two cents and urging fans to buy Taxman's Sonic 1 to send a message to SEGA.

Exactly. I'm glad Sonic Retro is telling us what we should do to send a message. We need to send a big message to Sega so they finally start listening to us, good idea.

They know something big is happening, they made it very clear. 

Edited by Get Over Here

Star Wars, a cinema classic, has been released numerous times on various platforms - VHS, Betamax, LaserDisc, DVD, blu-ray... Every time I watch it, no matter the format, I love the movie (though the quality of the transfer and various other elements change). 

So why is it that Sonic the Hedgehog, a video game classic, gets released numerous times and certain people cry foul and lose their shit? Is Sonic 1 a bad game? Fuck no. It is the backbone of the franchise and is up there with other classics like Pac-Man, Super Mario Bros. and Space Invaders. 

Hate the quality of the port, don't hate the game. From what I see, the 3D Classics are competent, quality, ports of classic SEGA games with enough new features to justify a purchase, whilst still retaining what makes the original game great. Same can be said for Taxman's iOS remastering. This isn't Backbone slapping a ROM on the 3DS, or SEGA West slapping a choppy ROM on iOS, or Sonic Genesis on GBA. So calm down. If you really hate the idea of this rerelease that much, maybe you should question how much you like the original Sonic the Hedgehog itself. Because, like I said, Sonic 1 is an awesome game worthy of replaying when the port is done well. 

If the argument is "yeah, well SEGA just rereleases this game too much and thats what pisses me off" then reread what I wrote. If the game is good, the port has care and attention put into it, and the rerelease offers up some new features then it isn't something to complain about. And if you still have a problem with it, just don't buy the damn thing.

What justifies a purchase or a worthwhile business endeavor varies from person to person, and in terms of porting it almost always has nothing to do with the quality of the game in question. I've never been a big fan of porting because I don't value the standard graphical and audio updates enough to shell out any money to essentially play a 21-year old that I can already play on a minimum of four separate devices immediately. In my mind, I'm not buying a game but rather just those features alone, which I find ridiculous in comparison to competitively-priced new content. Unless there's no convenient way for you to play the game already (the only reason that motivated me to buy Mega Collection), ports are just a waste of money to me.

Subsequently, I and anyone else are free to groan and moan at the fact that Sonic 1 is yet again getting released when the last port probably can't even qualify as a memory, much less a distant one. These games are released that often, subsequently far more than the Star Wars films are which makes that comparison of yours fairly tenuous. Ultimately, my and anyone else's groaning and moaning doesn't impact your ability to enjoy the novelty of this particular port or buy it either. Anyone is free to decry the port on its own merits as a port. Trying to make this out into a case of, "The game is great so why do you have a problem with it?" or essentially telling us not to buy it and shut up, isn't doing anyone any favors.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh I know there is nothing wrong with it and the people from Retro are doing just that, recommending a good product, but I have had it before (not only this forum real life aswell) where I have had people blowing it well out of proportion!

Ill probably pick this up, looking for something else to put on my 3DS, still waiting on the advances series though :P

What justifies a purchase or a worthwhile business endeavor varies from person to person, and in terms of porting it almost always has nothing to do with the quality of the game in question. I've never been a big fan of porting because I don't value the standard graphical and audio updates enough to shell out any money to essentially play a 21-year old that I can already play on a minimum of four separate devices immediately. In my mind, I'm not buying a game but rather just those features alone, which I find ridiculous in comparison to competitively-priced new content. Unless there's no convenient way for you to play the game already (the only reason that motivated me to buy Mega Collection), ports are just a waste of money to me.

Subsequently, I and anyone else are free to groan and moan at the fact that Sonic 1 is yet again getting released when the last port probably can't even qualify as a memory, much less a distant one. These games are released that often, subsequently far more than the Star Wars films are which makes that comparison of yours fairly tenuous. Ultimately, my and anyone else's groaning and moaning doesn't impact your ability to enjoy the novelty of this particular port or buy it either. Anyone is free to decry the port on its own merits as a port. Trying to make this out into a case of, "The game is great so why do you have a problem with it?" or essentially telling us not to buy it and shut up, isn't doing anyone any favors.

Name the four separate devices that spring to your mind and let me know the quality of those ports. That was my whole point. Sonic 1 may have been rereleased a lot, but very few of those instances are worth buying. SEGA has only just recently gotten it through their heads that you can't just do the bare minimum and call it a day, they have to put effort into what they rerelease. Since we're talking handheld devices at the moment, looking back there have been very few (if any) quality ports of Sonic 1. The current iOS version is garbage, Sonic Genesis even moreso. Sonic Classic Collection is decent, but far from what 3D Classics and the upcoming iOS version offer. Really, unless your playing a pirated version of the game, you're not going to find a quality port of Sonic 1 on a mobile/handheld device. SEGA knows this, and as such have upped their game in the rerelease market.

So from that standpoint, the upcoming rereleases are warranted. We're finally getting official ports of the game which actually plays well enough to go toe to toe with the original (that is speculation at this point, but I trust M2 and Taxman given their past titles). 

As for:

"The game is great so why do you have a problem with it?" or essentially telling us not to buy it and shut up, isn't doing anyone any favors.

I think I posed a valid question. Thus far I have not seen a solid argument for why something like Taxman's port should be skipped, unless you simply do not like playing console games on handhelds or dislike the game itself. If those are the reasons, then perhaps it is best to simply not buy it and "shut up" as you put it. I never said people should "shut up", but I do think complaining about quality ports of classic games is what is "not doing anyone any favors." 

• Thumbs Up 7

I think I posed a valid question. Thus far I have not seen a solid argument for why something like Taxman's port should be skipped, unless you simply do not like playing console games on handhelds or dislike the game itself. If those are the reasons, then perhaps it is best to simply not buy it and "shut up" as you put it. I never said people should "shut up", but I do think complaining about quality ports of classic games is what is "not doing anyone any favors." 

Your off topic, so follow your own advice and perhaps "shut up" as you put it about the other port. We're talking about this wonderful new port, with two versions of the game and other such features. 

Your off topic, so follow your own advice and perhaps "shut up" as you put it about the other port. We're talking about this wonderful new port, with two versions of the game and other such features. 

Hmmm... a topic about a rerelease of Sonic 1 to the 3DS, I'm talking about the rerelease of Sonic 1 to the 3DS. How is that off topic? Was it me mentioning the iOS version? How is that off topic, given it has pretty much been a point of discussion since page 1.

I'm the only mod currently in this topic, and despite our disagreements Barry is fine. Don't impede upon my job. I know what I'm doing.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm the only mod currently in this topic, and despite our disagreements Barry is fine. Don't impede upon my job. I know what I'm doing.

Understood.

Thanks. Having reread your original post, I see that you're coming rom the mindset of "Unless there's no convenient way for you to play the game already (the only reason that motivated me to buy Mega Collection), ports are just a waste of money to me." Fair enough. I'm coming from the standpoint of preservation and the many people who likely do not have the original readily available. From that standpoint, a quality port is very much needed, otherwise the only "Sonic the Hedgehog" the general public has is the DS's so-so port, the current iOS version, and the so-so XBLA/PSN ports which have their own problems. 

I see Taxman and M2's efforts as fulfilling a level of quality all other currently available ports do not fill, and as such the game itself is not accurately represented in the rerelease market. You are looking at it your own way (another purchase of a port is a waste of money) and I respect that, even if I don't all-together agree with that being an argument against the rerelease of the game. I think it's best we agree to disagree, shake digital hands and all that. 

MM-shirt-megasonic.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Name the four separate devices that spring to your mind and let me know the quality of those ports. That was my whole point. Sonic 1 may have been rereleased a lot, but very few of those instances are worth buying. SEGA has only just recently gotten it through their heads that you can't just do the bare minimum and call it a day, they have to put effort into what they rerelease. Since we're talking handheld devices at the moment, looking back there have been very few (if any) quality ports of Sonic 1. The current iOS version is garbage, Sonic Genesis even moreso. Sonic Classic Collection is decent, but far from what 3D Classics and the upcoming iOS version offer. Really, unless your playing a pirated version of the game, you're not going to find a quality port of Sonic 1 on a mobile/handheld device. SEGA knows this, and as such have upped their game in the rerelease market.

So from that standpoint, the upcoming rereleases are warranted. We're finally getting official ports of the game which actually plays well enough to go toe to toe with the original (that is speculation at this point, but I trust M2 and Taxman given their past titles). 

I have the original on Genesis, a Dreamcast port, Mega Collection Port, and I've emulated it on PC already. I don't think I'm doing too badly in that vain.

Anyway, you've missed my point: the value of a port- or any product- is ultimately what the customer makes of it, because ultimately the customer is going to choose whether or not to part with their money so they can have the product in question. In this particular case, it's going to come down to whether or not you feel the graphical and audio additions- or the fact that it's on a handheld- are worth the price of admission. You do, I personally don't. I don't feel any of these features are going to inherently change the game to make it a fundamentally different-enough experience to bother purchasing it yet again. It has nothing to do with hating Sonic 1, and it has nothing to do with hating handhelds. It's simply, "Do I want to play Sonic 1 again?" or rather "Is 3D/rippling water/better music really gonna make such a huge difference at the end of the day?" If anyone's answer is "no," then quite clearly they don't feel the deal is worth it. Compound this with seeing this deal over and over again, on nearly every single device imaginable (Sonic 1 would be on a toaster oven if Sega could figure it out), and you get fatigued. Again, I don't hate Sonic 1. I'm just tired of it being peddled to me.

(Now, a full-blown Generations level remake, however, with different level designs, CGI, cutscenes, and the whole shebang would have me talking, because then I don't believe I'm shelling out for mere additions after the fact; rather I feel like I'm buying a full-blown game that just happens to be borrowing heavily from an older one.)

EDIT: Such a ninja. :x Nevermind. =P
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think it's best we agree to disagree, shake digital hands and all that. 

MM-shirt-megasonic.jpg

If it's with American The Assface and/or Creepy Old Asian Man, no thanks.

• Thumbs Up 2