Awoo.

Nintendo Exclusive for Next Three Sonic Games

Sapphire the Hedgehog

Don't miss the main point of this.

A game released in the UK was able to get to the number 1 position because it sold less than 1000 units on the Wii-U.

Against every other game on the system. Less than 1000 was enough to get to the number 1 spot.

And Sega just announced it's main bread winner is exclusive for the next 3 games. Does nobody else see the serious problem/risk that sega is taking with this decision?

But that's the UK though.

And Sega just announced it's main bread winner is exclusive for the next 3 games. Does nobody else see the serious problem/risk that sega is taking with this decision?

But it is much easier to carry one basket full of eggs than a little basket for each egg, is it not?

I was wondering if someone could explain this to me, and I think someone mentioned it before in this thread but bare with me. One of the reasons being thrown on why these 3 Sonic games are being released on is because Sega doesn't have enough money both for publishing and development costs on the PS4 and the next Xbox....

Except, isn't Sega already developing (and most likely publishing) for those systems? There has to be something more than "Sega didn't have money so they went to Nintendo."

But that's the UK though.

... Yes and we've stopped getting our electricity from a man in the street with a bucket since 1962.

Don't miss the main point of this.

A game released in the UK was able to get to the number 1 position because it sold less than 1000 units on the Wii-U.

Against every other game on the system. Less than 1000 was enough to get to the number 1 spot.

Full article is here, it's also in the Wii-U topic, but the entire reason/justification for this was Sonic games sell well on nintendo systems. yet... less than 1000 units in the first week... gets you number 1.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-17-nintendo-wii-u-death-by-apathy

UK is not a good barometer in terms of how bad something is doing because right now the market there is almost universally bad, and since the Wii U version of Transformed is still charting against all odds and is last I recall the most sold SKU of the game, all signs point to there being no lack of faith on Sega's part when the console base would have feasibly increased by the time of fall.

That's a rough six plus months for Nintendo to increase a user base which rests at around 3.5 million as of now which while sales aligned is performing worse than other consoles, is still a number comparable to others in a similar timeframe.

... Yes and we've stopped getting our electricity from a man in the street with a bucket since 1962.

...?

Just get to the point.

But it is much easier to carry one basket full of eggs than a little basket for each egg, is it not?

Not when you might end up only selling 6 of the dozen eggs.

...?

Just get to the point.

His point was straightforward, albeit misleading considering the Wii U is doing especially bad in that market (as is everything else, really).

Yours was nonexistent.

Remember, it is 7 SKUs, not 7 games. 

So, for Wii U, given that Nintendo is publishing the games in Europe, it could be: Sonic Lost World (2 SKU), Mario & Sonic (2 SKU), Mystery Game (3 SKU).

There are a variety of scenarios but none of them point to 7 games. 

M&S is a Wii U exclusive right now, so (1 SKU).

I can imagine this as completely devastating to a lot of people lol.

My thoughts. 

Overreaction: Nintendo exclusive? FUCK OFF!

Underreaction: Nintendo exclusive? FUCK OFF!

Oh wait, most of the recent 3d Sonic games were average anyway. I guess Wii U owners will be pleased. Although I can't gurantee they will be good games...

I guess..............this is good news for SEGA.

Edited by -Bender-

Honestly seems like a pretty risky move. Wonder how much money Nintendo threw at them.

I was wondering if someone could explain this to me, and I think someone mentioned it before in this thread but bare with me. One of the reasons being thrown on why these 3 Sonic games are being released on is because Sega doesn't have enough money both for publishing and development costs on the PS4 and the next Xbox....

Except, isn't Sega already developing (and most likely publishing) for those systems? There has to be something more than "Sega didn't have money so they went to Nintendo."

It's more cause and effect.

The majority of the Sonic fandom online likely isn't key to this, whereas the majority of the target audience is. The majority of money SEGA earns off Sonic comes from Nintendo Releases, the majority of their target audience (Young kids to early teens) play mostly on the kiddy/casual/whatever console. It's highly likely as we transition to the next console generation that SEGA's profits would indeed still come from Nintendo, it is pretty much a gambit that will pay off for SEGA. Meanwhile other games that SEGA are developing have a target audience that has performed well off Nintendo consoles but perhaps poorly on Nintendo consoles, as such will have development for the other consoles of the next gen.

It's marketing as daft as it sounds. People are basically complaining that SEGA's putting their stuff where they get most money, I assume these people also don't understand how businesses that work for a profit work?

Also Hogfather, I honestly really would not measure game success off our country. We're not really a good barometer for it at the moment, Europe as a whole sure, but the UK Videogame Industry is suffering a little from poor sales in general here >_>;

Edited by DarkOverord
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, you go guys ahead and keep referencing games like Shadow the Hedgehog and 06 like they're still relevant and funny and ignore all the steady improvement the series had since then, doesn't make you look ignorant at all.

Then again, I suppose this is the norm at this point, so there's no real point in calling them out every time dumb statements like these are uttered.

They're still stuck in the year 2005-2006 and they love beating a dead horse.

Edited by sonfan1984

Today, NPD released a report showing that the Game's Industry has seen a decline as much as 25% with a drastic decline in software sales. The top selling console last month was Xbox 360, which sold ~130k, a shocking 44% decline from last month. The entire industry is facing a slow contraction. Current gen, as it is, is dying, and there's no telling what will happen in the next. Releasing a high budgeted effort on multiple current gen consoles is starting to mean even less than it once did.

Colors sold at least twice as much as Generations even though it was only on two platforms over three. The sales were significantly better. Every multiplatform Sonic game has historically done better on Nintendo, and Sonic Transformed is still on charts. The Wii U version specifically, no less.

Nintendo is and has always been a safe bet for Sonic no matter what context, it's the safe buck. Something Sega is in dire need as of now. A multiplatform game is no guarantee for a success, de Blob 2 and Epic Mickey 2 is the biggest proof of this. Both originally started their lives as Wii exclusives and sold respectably well until their sequels got released on almost all possible platforms, and bombed spectacularly, causing their studios to shut down.

Multiplatform and the success of such is a massive "maybe" and "possibly" at this point in time, and as much as people like to think otherwise, exclusives matter more than ever. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Sega going with the safest bet, and while I can see why people are disappointed with that, it's most likely not going to prevent the game from still doing great under the guise of being a big Sonic game on a base where a lot of fans are guaranteed to be at.

While Sonic will not spark console sales, plenty of Nintendo's own games will, and they will also presumably be out before that when the console has a potential to reach a new high.

Still denying themselves a couple million sales. People who bought and liked Generations, may well have bought Lost World had it been on the PS3 and 360. Like I said, Sonic Lost World, based on previous sales figures, will not sell well enough for 1.6 Million units, or even half that; 800,000 units to be meaningless. 

Like you said, SEGA is cash-strapped, so those extra sales would be very helpful. And development costs won't be that much higher as a result any way. 

This is all moot, given that Nintendo are apparently helping with development and publishing, and not just forking cash for exclusivity rights. 

Not that this makes me any happier. As a Sonic fan living in the post-SEGA Console era, I would have liked not being forced to commit myself to a particular console to enjoy Sonic games.

Oh well, I guess I have to move on. 

Still, its a limited contract, which apparently, extends to only 1 more game (assuming M&S is part of the 3 game deal, which is most likely the case), so I'll only have to wait till 2017 till I'll be able to play a Sonic game again (Unless the third and final game in this deal is revealed later this year too)

Wonder if ASRT counts as a Sonic title for the purposes of classification.

Wonder if ASRT counts as a Sonic title for the purposes of classification.

It was before the deal and published by SEGA no?

No. In terms of whether another one could count as a future game as part of the deal.

No. In terms of whether another one could count as a future game as part of the deal.

I think you really need to look at the tenses involved. Why would a game published November 2012, be part of a deal that involves games later this year? Plus how many times have people not seen "unannounced game"?

Scrap that rereading I think I get what you mean now.

Edited by DarkOverord

This'll help Nintendo and Sega both in the long run so I can't say I'm really against this news. If the Nintendo versions of Sonic games have proved to be the biggest selling versions in the past, I can see why Sega would rather cut development costs on porting them to other consoles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think what narks me about it is that with the recent attention PC/Steam has been getting it felt to me like Sega were trying to spread out to the PC market as well. I have several Sonic games in my library now, and I probably play them more than anything else on Steam! It was starting to feel like when a console got a Sonic game, so did Steam eventually... and that this exclusivity is going to continue in the long term is what makes me a bit disappointed. The news that StealthTax Sonic 1 won't be released elsewhere kind of compounds that; I do have the Android version but I was looking forward to playing it with a controller, proper old school style.

On the other hand, if Sega do well out of this then good for them. I've been playing their games for over 20 years and I'm sure eventually I will be able to get my hands on a WiiU. Just like I just managed to replace an old 360 from 2006 with a new shiny one!

Edited by MamboCat
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well hopefully ill be able to get my hands on a Wii U, I was considering one anyway, I like Mario, Smash Bros and Zelda, so hopefully when I get the money (and the Xbox I was after) ill buy me one

aaaaaaand Nintendo just sold me a WiiU.

yikes. Its the Gamecube and SA2 battle all over again tongue.png .

• Thumbs Up 1

....three? Three? THREE?!

nooooooi.gif

Welp. No Sonic for me.

Edited by Lamor
  • Thumbs Up 3

Speaking of spin-offs, there's still Sonic Riders and the storybook games.

Speaking of spin-offs, there's still Sonic Riders and the storybook games.

Riders went off and died in the land of Kinect exclusives and the storybook games kind of left a poor impression behind.

as far as spinoffs go, we'll probably be looking at something new... either that or I'll finally get my blasted Sonic Rush 3DS...

Nice to see that the fanbase is taking this well as always...

Seriously though? A petition?