Awoo.

What kind of music do you want in this game, and who'd you want to compose it?

Shiny Gems

Title says it all. What kind of music would you want for this game? Also, who do you want to compose the music?

Personally, in terms with music and who is composing it, I would be fine with whoever and whatever, though I would say that I'd like rock music, techno music or orchestrated music.

What about you guys?

Like Colors. It's energetic, fits the ambient perfectly, makes good use of all kinds of instruments and synths (the game is not wrapped to a single genre, like SA2, where EVERYTHING is crazy guitar riffs), catchy melody. Just bring the same team from Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fumie Kumatani music, and preferrably composed by Fumie Kumatani.

Also I want cut-scenes to have catchy varied themes again, instead of action-by-action cartooney shat like in Colours.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'd like to see more music akin to Sonic Colours, upbeat and really catchy! Kenichi Tokoi and Tomoya Ohtani (so underrated IMO) will surely return to compose the music in SLW and I'm looking forward to hearing it. I also hope the main theme and ending are as awesome as Endless Possibilities and Live Life. Reach for the Stars was alright, but I couldn't stand Speak with your Heart! Maybe have Crush 40 do the main theme this time around pls?

Like Colors. It's energetic, fits the ambient perfectly, makes good use of all kinds of instruments and synths (the game is not wrapped to a single genre, like SA2, where EVERYTHING is crazy guitar riffs), catchy melody. Just bring the same team from Colors.

Actually SA2 had a big variety of different music genres. There was your typical rock but also hip hop, techno, Latino jazz...the list goes on!

I think you mean SA1. Now that had a lot of guitar riffs. XP

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not picky about music. Get me something good, interesting, and exciting and I'm solid.

This. But I'd LOVE it if we had vocal character themes again, unfortunately it's highly likely that they're gonna go sola sonica again.

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as Senoue doesn't handle much of the actual composition duties I'm good. I really am not fond of his style anymore whatsoever and I much prefer Kumatani and Ohtani. But the guy is great on the guitar so I mean if he is utilized I'm cool with that just as long as he isn't the one in charge.

Would love to hear a variety of sounds to fit each level though really. If they want to mix up the genres all throughout and just make each song bursting with its own energy and catchiness, I'm totally down for that. Just keep Crush40 and vocal tracks away and I know I'll personally be happy.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm personally bored of Jun and Crush 40, so I'm down with hearing some other composers taking a whack at it. Unleashed and/or Colours style would be great.

Really, i am fine with anything. I have complete blind faith in the Sound Team of Sonic. 

Kenichi Tokoi, Fumie Kumatani, Tomoya Ohtani, Jun Senoue, Mariko Nanba, Hideaki Kobayashi

These guys and even some others that worked on Sonic have done some amazing stuff.

This time around i wish for Tomoya Ohtani to get the front wheel. Since the last time he did was Sonic Unleashed.

Also i hope Alex Makhoulf is back with his awesome tunes and of course i'd love to hear another Main theme. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Just get Fumie Kumatani to do music for the levels this time, and after that I don't care who else contributes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually SA2 had a big variety of different music genres. There was your typical rock but also hip hop, techno, Latino jazz...the list goes on!

Latino Jazz? I think you meant to say Bossa Nova. :lol:

At any rate, have people really forgotten that much about SA2's soundtrack to generalize it like that?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

I will say while I have no qualms with Crush 40 doing a final boss theme again for old time's sake etc, I'll only accept it if there's OTHER lyrical music in the gameplay too (and I'd love lyrical music in the gameplay).

I hate how in like, Heroes and Shadow, the allocation of lyrical music across the gameplay experience is:

Opening FMV ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Final Boss----End Credits

Though for lyrical in-game music, if there's some sort of mission mode where you may play a level for only a minute or so, said mission mode should use instrumentals.

If there's a main theme that is used for the ending or final boss too, I want them to hide it well, like in Sonic Adventure 2.  Don't use a whole first verse and chorus for an intro FMV because that means the only bit that is special when it pops up for it's most dramatic context is the second verse and middle section/guitar solo.

Also if Crush 40 does have a new song, there absoloutely must be some other genre elements thrown in.  Crush 40 do great songs but they never feel like they have much atmosphere.  Black Knight changed that a bit, so yeah, more of that.

Also, if we do have lyrical music... more gender variety in the singers please?  8D

Edited by JezMM

I feel that lyrics all the time may just end up not having the impact.

It got our attention as it was fresh in City Escape. It got our attention in Generations cos we knew we were in for a good song.

It doesn't always work so yeah.

------------------

Eh, just let Jacques, Katamani, Ohtani, Tokoi, Senoue, Alex work on this and I'm happy. 

I feel that lyrics all the time may just end up not having the impact.

Oh, I agree, they should be used appropriately.  I'm thinking Secret Rings-ish - a few "proper" vocal songs, a few "light" vocal songs, a few instrumentals, etc etc.

For example in Unleashed, say, I dunno, Windmill Isle, Rooftop Run and Egg Dragoon would have been good places for vocal songs.

For example in Unleashed, say, I dunno, Windmill Isle, Rooftop Run and Egg Dragoon would have been good places for vocal songs.

Windmill Isle was far too bland. Rooftop Run, Egg Dragoon, and some of the night levels having some rap (hey that's a genuine good idea, i should remix something liddat some time) would've been nice. (not Knux's rap style but the smooth jazz style... if that's a thing.)

I'm thinking SA2 did it just a bit too much and a bit less than that would be good. Ya know Knux and Shadow had vocals everywhere and Sonic already but then again, that ratio might work but meh, I still prefer a lesser ratio than that.

But yeah, guess it could be cool.

I would like to see Tomoya Ohtani's works on this game again...After his work for Colours and his remixes for Generations, I'm really really eager to listen to new tracks coming from him.

(not Knux's rap style but the smooth jazz style... if that's a thing.)

You don't (generally) rap to smooth jazz. XD

You probably meant R&B.

You don't (generally) rap to smooth jazz. XD

You probably meant R&B.

Yeaaaaaaah. 

WELL, MY MUSIC GENRE KNOWLEDGE IS DOWNRIGHT BAD. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic soundtracks triumph when they're diverse or really quirky (like Rush's). As long as the game doesn't fixate itself too much on a single genre then I think it will be great. Also it would be nice if the soundtrack didn't overuse a main theme and made as many unique tracks as possible.

I'm not picky about music...

As long as it's good. Thankfully, recent Sonic soundtracks have been amazing, so I have no reason to doubt their talent.

Anyways, though, I'd really want to see Naofumi Hataya back in action, and if he collaborated with Richard Jacques, Tomoya Ohtani and Jun Senoue for this, it'd be really awesome, covering just about everything I like in a Sonic soundtrack - Hataya's overall composition style, Ohtani's orchestrated-and-breakbeated style, Jacques's.... stuff, and Jun's...

...Am I making any sense here?

Anyway, as far as synthesizers go, as long as Jun's accompanied by another musician, he wouldn't make the mistake of choosing Sonic 4 instrumentation - Cash Cash or something might be good in that, I guess, considering they always work with synth.

For vocals.... No. Save it for the theme song. I don't really like voices in my Sonic stages (slightly distracting) and Sonic talks as-is. If you manage to make it awesome though, ("WHO'S GONNA ROCK THE PLACE? I'M FOREVER GONNA ROCK THE PLACE!") I'm sold, as long as it's done in moderation.

Composition... Hoo boy. Just don't leave Jun to do his own thing.

Overall verdict: Get a lot of people into it, have a very varied style of musical production, don't leave Jun to do his own thing.

...That, or I'll just play After the Sequel. Case solved.

I'd want Crush 40 to handle the main theme of the game. For the rest of the soundtrack, I would like a bit of diversity and all that, like SA2 did.

• Thumbs Up 1

My Sonic soundtrack dream team woud be Senoue, Tokoi, Ohtani, Kumatani, Jaques, and Hataya. Plus a Crush 40 theme thrown in somewhere. And as long as I'm in fanboy wish list mode, I want to see Tony Harnell and/or Ted Poley make a return for a new original song, as I am pretty much completely gay for those two's voices.

That said, what we need is variety. Give us our hard rockin' badass moments, our jazzy fun moments, our trippy atmosphere moments, our orchestral epic moments, etc.  Fit the levels and situations while being catchy as fuck and we're golden. And fortunately this is the one aspect of every Sonic game I can say I have full confidence in.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd want Crush 40 to handle the main theme of the game. For the rest of the soundtrack, I would like a bit of diversity and all that, like SA2 did.

Erm, what? SA2's soundtrack composed at least half of rock for Sonic, Tails, Eggman, and a couple of Shadow's level tracks. I'd rather see a more Unleashed/Colours/SA1 style soundtrack where the focus is variety.