Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Wat? no, no no... no fuck Pearl. Sure what she did is worthy of Garnet's wrath but she doesn't deserve the hate she gets from the fandom. She's a war veteran, she's seen things you people wouldn't believe.. attackships on fire off the should of Orion... *coughcough* ooh excuse me... Um, yeah she's still grieving the loss of a loved one (I doubt 11-12 years is very long in a Gem's lifespan) and a lot of really heavy stuff with the Homeworld just happened. Peridot is still a threat. Yellow Diamond is looming. An idiot with a camera has been following them around(!) She's hella stressed and is behaving out of whack.

:(

Anyways.... <3 lil Peridot making a troubled phonecall to her mom to come pick her up cause he loser friends dumped her. :D

Edited by MamboCat

I totally forgot to talk about how great Amethyst was. I don't know about you guys, but I thought she might be mad at Pearl, but instead she tried to defend her. I love that even though there always squabbling at each other, when the chips are down, she and Pearl have each other's backs.

And I loved her song, I hope we can get an extended version sometime. Michaela Dietz has a nice voice, they need to let her sing more often.

• Thumbs Up 3

This episode.

I want to cry it was so gay omf.

It reminds me of me and my girlfriend actually lmao.

what's better than this, gals being pals

That was a great episode. I expected to see Garnet defuse at some point this week, if only temporarily, and it made sense following off of yesterday's episode Hopefully, someday, we'll get to see Ruby and Sapphire in a much happier scenario than imprisoned on a ship or due to a disagreement.

Greg continues to be the best, by the way.

................But yeah the scene where Ruby and Sapphire made up was extremely gay and I love it  bABst1q.gif

• Thumbs Up 6

CONFIRMATION THAT RUBY IS A GIRL FOR ANYONE WHO IS STILL IN DENIAL THANK YOU BASED GOD.

Okay, but seriously, this was another really heavy episode.  This is the kind of thing I mean when I say that even if someone doesn't particularly like Steven Universe, they can still learn so much from its character development.  Ruby and Sapphire's relationship isn't perfect; there are trials and tribulations in maintaining their relationship.  They argue like a couple would, they make up like a couple would.  They're polar opposite at times, but they're not so different that they can't so eye-to-eye(s).

Greg is such a sweetheart, too.  I'm happy that we can see more of him.  I really felt sorry for Steven the most, though.  He's forced to be in the midst of all this conflict, while having absolutely nothing to do with any of it.  Not to mention, they're all his family fighting.  I can relate to that level of helplessness, considering I come from a similar sort of home.

Really sad, but ultimately a heartwarming episode.  I can't wait for more!

Wow! This episode gave me so many feels!  I feel awful for Steven considering he's caught in the middle of the conflict and I can imagine that's the last thing he wants to be involved in.

I absolutely loved the relationship development between Ruby and Sapphire from their fighting right down to them making up! Oh and Greg's personality is why he's one of my favorite characters in the whole show. I love how kind and caring he is and how he truly looks out for his own son and wants what's best for him.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can't help but wonder if they made Ruby so tomboyish to avoid flak from the bible belt, as in "maybe they won't notice she's also a girl".  An interesting solution if it's intentional, anyone who would care probably wouldn't be following the show closely enough to realize.  

And then you just wait for them to die.

This run of episodes is greatly helped by a smidge of continuity.

Edited by Phos

I was wondering that as well, and I thought maybe that's why there was a surprisingly minimal amount of backlash at their relationship, especially from Bible belt states.  Regardless, I think it worked out for the better.  With Pearl's infatuation with Rose as well as Ruby and Sapphire's relationship, I think the show has done a good job avoiding the "butch femme" lesbian stereotype, while also showing that there's nothing really wrong with it.  Some lesbians are girly as hell, some are complete tomboys, and some are sort of in between, but they're all equally real and acceptable.

Edited by Tara

It's pretty obvious she's a girl, tomboyish or not. She looks like one, she has the voice of one, she is referred to with feminine pronouns... really, it's a no-brainer.

Why the Bible Belt is quiet about it, I dunno, maybe the show just doesn't air there. or maybe since they were finally shown kissing the complaints will come through the woodworks and you all have just jinxed it you bastards this is your fault

Anyway, I do kinda like that the show implied that Garnet isn't completely ready to forgive Pearl yet. Feels more realistic then "hey you pretty much made a mockery of my existence to fulfill your own selfish desires but it's ok I forgive you".

Ruby looks like a young child who could pass for either gender, if I were to be honest.  Based on cis/hetero-normative perceptions, I don't think she looks as traditionally feminine as Sapphire does.  There's nothing wrong with that, obviously, but I think it's easy to confuse her for a male.  The raspy voice doesn't help.  As for the feminine pronouns, they didn't refer to Ruby as "she" until this episode.  After Jail Break, they only ever referred to Ruby and Sapphire collectively as "they."

But nah, as someone who lives in the Bible belt, the episode aired with the same frequency and clarity as any other region.  It's just weird, because for a region that is renowned for constantly complaining about anything that doesn't comply with "anything that isn't me" values, people just don't seem to care about it for Steven Universe.  Maybe it just slipped under their radar or they know the fanbase would proceed to counterattack.

Edited by Tara

It's pretty obvious she's a girl, tomboyish or not. She looks like one, she has the voice of one, she is referred to with feminine pronouns... really, it's a no-brainer.

Why the Bible Belt is quiet about it, I dunno, maybe the show just doesn't air there. or maybe since they were finally shown kissing the complaints will come through the woodworks and you all have just jinxed it you bastards this is your fault

Well there was that kiss on the neck in today's episode which is (as far as I see it anyway) more intimate than a kiss on the lips. If any of the kind of people y'all are talking are paying attention, they're probably pissed right now, really. If they weren't already.

...I wonder how many people right now who are in denial about all this who are saying "UM, I KISS MY BFF ON THE NECK EVERY DAY."

Edited by Celestia

Well there was that kiss on the neck in today's episode which is (as far as I see it anyway) more intimate than a kiss on the lips. If any of the kind of people y'all are talking are paying attention, they're probably pissed right now, really. If they weren't already.

...I wonder how many people right now who are in denial about all this who are saying "UM, I KISS MY BFF ON THE NECK EVERY DAY."

"They're not girlfriends; they're just best friends!"

Edited by Tara

The fucking creators said they're in a romantic relationship, like come on.

Anyway yea, I liked this episode; it was some nice relationship developing for Ruby & Sapphire and showing that they aren't aren't perfect either. 

But Greg is the MVP of this episode though, probably one of Western Animation's best dads. ;_;

And yes, this episode was extremely filled with lesbians and I loved it. :D

Tonight's episode was adorable. Great to see some character development. Also, I don't see how anyone can deny Ruby and Sapphire's relationship now. It couldn't be more blatant.

Also, great to see Ruby and Sapphire as actual flawed characters instead of just being placed on this perfect pedestal. I mean, I liked them before, but now they legitimately feel like actual people.

Greg was fantastic as always. Even though it wasn't his episode, he still had some great lines.

Anyway, I do hope Pearl and Garnet make up, and that Pearl learns from her mistake. Looking forward to the next episode to see where things go!

If there are still people who can't see that Ruby and Sapphire are two women in a loving relationship, I suggest they make an appointment at the eye doctors.

I really liked yesterday's episode, it was nice to see Ruby and Sapphire again, and I felt bad for poor Steven. The internet guy/axe murderer jokes were funny and so was the Motels vs. Hotels bit. And I'm glad Garnet didn't immediately apologize to Pearl, but they are on the road to forgiveness, it's much more real that way.

Edited by Blue Swallow
forgot something

So tonight's episode was... a thing.

Really, I expected it to go somewhere, but I don't feel like it did.  I feel like Onion sort of distracted us from the main plot without offering his own in return.

Invisible Guy is best guy though.

Wow that was pretty gross.  I don't know what else to say.  I kinda think I could have done without that episode.  

... Can I just say how legitimately surprised I was by how they actually got away with... that tape that Onion showed Steven?

• Thumbs Up 1

So what people are telling me is avoid this episode and watch the next? OK.

I hate Onion anyway.

Hidden Content

The miracle of birth isn't a plot that's usually restricted to age as long as they don't show where baby actually comes from.  Steven's reactions were pretty funny, though.

• Thumbs Up 4

I thought it was a good episode for Amethyst.

It just so happens that Onion is still that weird kid with the cool mom and older brother.

Is it just me or does Onion seem to be possibly autistic? Being around kids with autism all my life, he fits the bill rather well: he's not very social but he tries, not got very good communication skills at his age but only his family can understand him (autistic children are usually understood fully by their family, what with his special language and such), has specific interests that might be unusual (a Guys collection, his snake, stealing and bargaining etc), has strange habits (not eating/playing with food) and has his own little private area where he likes to hide and projects his personality. People outside his family see him as unusual with strange habits, but he really wants to be friends with Steven to the point he feels happy enough to show him his birth and to save the mouse with a 'surprise!' at the end.

Onion may seem rather weird and unusual to us and outside characters, but he's still a nice kid once you get to know him and see that his family love him very much.

Can't be only me, can it?

Hidden Content

He struck me as a form of autistic, as well, but I don't know if this was conveyed well  I feel that we don't get a deeper understanding of what that ultimately means for him, if that is the case.  Instead, it just seemed like they were playing his eccentricities off as particularly unpleasant as opposed to making him as complex and well-rounded as the other characters.  If he's supposed to be autistic, that's fine by me.  Kudos to them for avoiding the "autistic boy who is actually a genius and/or has a heart of gold" trope, but in a series that has such a beautiful, realistic, and dynamic display of LGBT individuals as well as individuals who suffer from mental illnesses, Onion's outing here seems just a tad lackluster to me.

This was a nice episode, although it didn't really follow up on the previous one.

Its nice to see that Onion is more misunderstood and actually does like Steven, but goddamn was he fun to watch get under the latter's skin.