Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Here's two interesting articles that recently came out:

What a children's show can teach us about sex and healthy relationships
How 'Steven Universe' Is Educating Kids About Consent

These articles raised some great points and truly shows how deep and progressive this series is and how it portrays excellent development in its characters and how they both interact off and relate with each other. Heck portraying the relationship between Ruby and Sapphire is pretty impressive for a kids show when such a thing would have been avoided years ago.

• Thumbs Up 6

Did anyone see this...?

tumblr_nrchzoRe0t1so66ebo2_500.gif

tumblr_nrchzoRe0t1so66ebo3_500.gif

tumblr_nrchzoRe0t1so66ebo1_500.gif

tumblr_nrchzoRe0t1so66ebo4_500.gif

No seriously, did you see this in the latest episodes, or is this new spoiler content? O_O 

Anyway, I like Amethyst and Pearl's weapon draw poses!

Those are from the extended intro seen at San Diego Comic Con. More specifically, I'm pretty sure they're gifs of this particular video:

I really, really hope they upload it in high quality eventually, or have it replace the standard opening in an episode. S2(A or B ) finale, maybe?

That screenshot at the bottom reminds me, though, that some people on Tumblr and Reddit are theorizing that Rose Quartz may not be as pure and good as the Gems make her out to be.  Some are even speculating that she may be the one who started the war between the Crystal and home world gems.  I don't recall the basis for the theory aside from that particular screenshot being a tad creepy.

Edited by Tara

It's highly likely that Rose could of been corrupted by Homeworld at some point. The popular theory at the moment is that Rose Quartz is Pink Diamond, so her having some form of a connection to Yellow Diamond or being very close to the higher-ups of the anti-earth team in the Gem War is very, very likely.

If they were to cover this sometime, it would be big enough to fit in the mid-season finale, which is about 7 episodes away. That or they'll show off Yellow Diamond for the first time. Or maybe both, could you imagine? Mrrrm.

Edited by Rucdose

Sorry for double post, but anyway:

tumblr_nrv9dhT2j31s255kvo1_1280.png

Ian Jones-Quartey, the co-developer of the show, has confirmed that the extended intro is separate from the show itself and is going to be released in some separate form soon.

I don't think the rose diamond theory holds up, mostly due to a point that all the videos proposing it seem to conspicuously ignore: on the roof mural in serious Steven that so much information is taken from, we see the presumed three diamonds (or maybe the same one three times?) and what is obviously rose in the same mural, and they don't have anything in common. Yellow diamond is slender, with a gem on her head. the theory of these being humans in Ross's army seems out of left field, with no particular basis for it. Wasn't it explicitly stated that the only reason amythest, garnet, and pearl are still around is because they were the only ones close enough to be protected by rose's shield? I'm not Actually convinced they won, come to think of it, based on peridot not expecting to find any gems on earth, just that they survived. 

Mad a side note, this reminds me of my biggest gripe with the show, the abrupt switch to pearl et al's disposition towards off world travel, was one moment all up for it, episodes later is revealed to be de facto exiled on pain of death. Always seemed like a weird oversight.  She also waited way too long to start her gravity turn.

The rose diamond iconography is odd, kind of a mark in favor of the rose diamond theory but it's only appeared once, so it's a little hard to make much of it. It's not strictly nessisarily for Rose to be at the highest echelon to be seen as royalty.  Maybe there's more to it if the three diamonds don't look alike (going by yellow diamond rather than diamond is enough in my book for there to be others), but I find it odd for a gem to change its name.  

Actually, comparing pictures of pink diamonds to rose quartz, I'm more convinced that it isn't true, her design is much smoother, better matching something that isn't always ground to a faceted shape, and her gem doesn't appear to have been drawn to be transparent, it doesn't have enough reflections, especially for a diamond. Rose Quartz is also associated by gem, uh, believers with healing. 

Edited by Phos

Maybe Rose was some large political figure on homeworld and that's how the war broke out? 

Like some Optimus Prime and Megatron type of deal.

I have to say, while I'm all for exploring all aspects of Rose's personality (including her flaws and moral shortcomings), I'm kind of iffy on the thought of her actually being evil, and depending on how it's done, I might find myself a little saddened if that happens to be the case.  By "evil" I don't mean "did something horribly wrong" as much as "did something horribly wrong with direct attempt to bring harm to others."  There's some more theories floating around that Rose may be responsible for the forced fusions in "Keeping it Together," (wherein Garnet mutters "Rose couldn't have known" during her breakdown) and while that might make sense given the Crystal Gems' involvement in the Kindergarten, I don't want to believe that she did anything out of ill will or that she wouldn't have cared if she knew the full implications of their actions.

I just don't want to believe!

There was a pretty good theory I seen on tumblr, let me see if I can find it...

> The Madness of Rose Quartz

saiyanshredder:

It’s no secret that recent events have begun to make people paint Rose in a… different light. Matt Burnett even hinted at something incredibly dark and foreboding that has been foreshadowed throughout the entire show so far.

Recently in the episode “Keeping It Together” we learned that a host of terrifying force-fusion experiments on innocent gems took place deep below the Kindergarten. After discovering the monstrosities, Garnet nearly has an existential crisis.

But I think Garnet is dead wrong. Not only did Rose Quartz know, but she was the original mastermind behind these Dr. Frankenstein-esque experiments.

First, let’s look at the terminal used to activate the chamber.

The terminal features a diamond on the palm and is left-handed. There is a similar terminal that was featured earlier in Lion 2: The movie.

It features Rose’s emblem, but more importantly, is also left-handed.

In Sworn To The Sword we saw a flashback of Rose Quartz in battle.

Rose Quartz is wielding her sword in her left hand. Rose Quartz is left-handed.

Next, let’s look at the state of the gems used in the experiments.

imageimage

Forcibly glued together. As far as we know, the gems don’t have access to current technology like the goop used to restore the gem warps. That doesn’t rule out another factor though: Rose’s tears.

A cracked gem, sealed using the power of Rose’s gem. We know it’s possible for gems to be glued together without the use of Peridot’s robonoids.

What about Peridot? In The Return she said the mission was to “check on the cluster”, implying that someone had been toying with these gems far earlier than Peridot was around.

In Marble Madness when Peridot first reveals the tubes housing the gem fusions, she was reactivating them, implying they had been there far earlier.

The last two points I’m about to make are the most chilling. In Keeping It Together Garnet said the gems that were broken into pieces were buried, most likely by the Crystal Gems.

Only Rose and the Crystal Gems knew where these shards were. It would be very easy for her to hide a few of them to use for later experiments.

Lastly, every single forced fusion in the Kindergarten took the form of a hand, foot, arm, or leg.

The bubble in Secret Team happened to contained a variety of gem body parts like arms and legs.

It was a Rose Quartz bubble.

Uhh, the thing about that:

Amethyst was apparently supposed to be a warrior that would've fought against Rose, but being a runt she wasn't and was instead left behind. People have said apparently the big Gem that was in the flashback during Pearl's song was an Amethyst because it was credited under Amethyst's VA, plus there was the giant Amethyst-coloured axe Garnet picked up that was fair similar in design and very large. A leftover Amethyst probably would've been seen as one of these enemy Amethysts, but Rose probably felt pity for her cause she was so small and left behind.

Rose kept those shards in a bubble because she was trying to find ways to heal them, but the thing is she cared more for Gems than humans considering she thought of them as all funny. Rose's powers are all nature based and seeing how full of nature Earth is, she would fall in love with it. Gem Homeworld must be fair barren if they've been looking for other planets to seed for new Gems and seeing what happens to the land when the land is seeded, she'd be upset that 'her love' was going to be destroyed by Homeworld's Gem seeding.

Can you even tell the difference between bubbles?  

Glueing them together might have been part of an attempt to restore them.  It's also possible that garnet was actually right and Rose wasn't involved.  

That isn't Rose's emblem on that pad, hers is a triangle, and the one in her secret place had the thorns.  

Was Lapis sealed by Rose?  Seems out of character, Rose's tears could restore her.

I think Lapis was sealed by Rose and the Crystal Gems since Lapis is from Gem Homeworld and she's got history with Jasper and Peridot by the looks of it, she could be a spy, she only really cares about Steven since he released her, healed her and reached out to her completely ignoring the Crystal Gem's orders of not going after her

Bad news, guys.

tumblr_nsdy3uh1kU1smn4pqo1_1280.png

I guess there's solace in the fact that we've survived a month-long hiatus before, but, man, that's a bummer.

At least that artwork is very nice. I love Amethyst's hair tied back like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My thoughts on Nightmare Hospital:

Connie's Mom having an overprotective personality was a bit cliche, but I absolutely loved Connie's character being developed further in this episode. She's becoming a great sword fighter and both her and Steven make for a great fighting team.

I love how Steven and Connie poofed the monsters in like, under 30 seconds. I guess it helps that the Clusters are basically running on instinct, but still, that was awesome.

Speaking of the Clusters though, I find it unbelievable that anyone would look at those things and think "oh, hey, a completely normal car crash victim, yup!". Only thing I can think of is that everyone in that hospital was in extreme denial about what they were seeing, an impression I got from Connie's mom in that one scene after not finding a heartbeat in that one Cluster.

That episode was fantastic. I'm loving the character progression in this series.

One thing I've always loved about Steven Universe is Greg, simply because other "magical kid with a destiny" stories often leave the parents totally clueless or shove them aside. That Greg is not only knowledgeable of his son's adventures, but also involved in them to an extent, is a nice way to go against that trend.

Naturally, I'm thrilled that Dr. Maheswaran is in on things now too. It's a great way to move forward for both Connie, and it makes her parents more than static unchanging characters. Definitely happy at this development.

• Thumbs Up 3

That episode was fantastic. I'm loving the character progression in this series.

Hidden Content

I agree and Greg is one of my favorite characters in the show. He's neither the dumb or overprotective dad. He's very caring of Steven who genuinely wants what's best for him.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sadie's Song was a cute episode.

I was a little worried this would veer into cliched "Shy character doesn't want to sing, spends entire episode fretting about it, but then sings in the end and everyone loves it" territory. I was pleasantly surprised when the show didn't take the predictable route, and instead focused on the unwanted pressure Sadie was receiving from her mom and Steven.

Barb's a fun character too, it's good to see more of her.

Anyway, this was a fine episode, but I miss the Gems! Hopefully we'll see them again soon.

Seems like we're getting into "breather" episodes now, which makes sense after the Sardonyx arc. The quotation marks are there because of 1) Nightmare Hospital being terrifying and 2) the recurring theme in these episodes (conflict between a mother and child) almost feels like they might be building up to something. Unless it's just a coincidence, which is of course totally plausible. XP

• Thumbs Up 1