Awoo.

Rebecca Sugar's Steven Universe (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

AdventChild

Yeah that was the cool power I was referring to.

:P But yknow... how come Amethyst didn't like, transform into her owl form and chase her? *shrug*

Probably afraid of the propeller effect with birds and certain flying machines that they sometimes get caught in.

• Thumbs Up 1

That was adorable. Oh my gosh.

I hope something happens with Pearl soon though about her backstory and/or something about her soon, because I feel like she's being pushed at times as a one-trick pony with the whole Rose thing. Granted, it's proving her as a flawed character, but I gotta be reminded of her more admirable traits.

You know i really think it's weird how Amethyst is kinda pushed in-canon as the "messed up" Gem, but from what I see its Pearl who's the most consistently problematic? I dont think that makes her dislikable, as it makes her have intresting flaws, but the girl has serious issues she seriously needs to work on

You know i really think it's weird how Amethyst is kinda pushed in-canon as the "messed up" Gem, but from what I see its Pearl who's the most consistently problematic? I dont think that makes her dislikable, as it makes her have intresting flaws, but the girl has serious issues she seriously needs to work on

They all seem to have their own really bad problems, but Pearl's seem the most prominent due to them being directly tied to Greg and Rose's relationship, as well as Steven's existence.

Pearl in particular might be one of many almost-identical Pearl gems, due to how pearls work (that kind of logic seems to heavily apply in this show). Which if she was pulled out of the crowd by Rose in particular, it could explain why she feels/acts the way she does about Rose and everything.

It's not confirmed if this is how it went down yet or not, but it's kind of likely.

IIRC a lot of stuff ties to this possibly being what her backstory is going to be like, too. This show leaves no stone unturned when it comes to dropping hints in dialogue, set pieces, et cetera. It's pretty amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh my god, that was the cutest thing, and it only makes me like Greg even more.

What the fuck Pearl? Jeez, I hope we can get episode dedicated to her and Greg so we can resolve this, she's always been so passive aggressive towards him and its been mostly out of jealousy.

Kind of cute to see despite how benevolent and loving Rose was, she got a little flustered over how complicated it feels to be in love for a human.

It's nice to see Garnet and Amethyst be okay with them hooking up. Really shows they have more respect for Rose as a person making her own choices than ironically the person closest to her. And speaking of which, Pearl's definitely an interesting case here. On one hand, she definitely came across as a passive-aggressive bitch towards Greg, but for the other, you do get that it's purely just her feeling threatened over what she thinks is already a special relationship to Rose and not her being a Gem-elitist jerk. And glad she never really gave him the ol' "stripes can't be with spots" talk. Just attributes him to being a "phase." He just wondered about the possibility of fusing with her, not whether or not he could be her boyfriend. Had we got that instead, then surely Pearl would've lost her shit with an obligatory "STAY AWAY FROM HER!" making her look more like a bad person than she should be in this situation. 

Now I wanna see an actual flashback of Rose discovering she's pregnant and the fallout for everybody when they realize what this'll mean regarding her no longer existing. Just to see Pearl's unfiltered fury towards Greg and learning to accept it might be what ultimately develops her character. Maybe her being protective of Steven not only shows that he still reminds her of Rose, but also convey as her means of saying "I'm sorry for not respecting your love for him" to Rose.

• Thumbs Up 1

The episode itself was great! Fantastic start to the Steven Bomb!

Connie is coming into her own as a fighter, which is a really great follow up and development to her reaffirming her relationship with Steven after Jail Break. It's set up for something great, with her team up with Steven during training being a badass taste for the inevitable finale.

But poor Pearl though! The episode didn't just reaffirm her idolization of Rose, but it allows us to understand just how little she actually seems to think of herself, even when Rose was around. She didn't even seem to believe that Rose would even come to protect her during battle, and indeed the implication of Pearl constantly falling in battle without Rose reciprocating hints further at a relationship that was completely one-sided to the point of delusion. It might be why Pearl seems to be the Gem most distant from Greg, the person who not only took Rose away but also experienced a love that Pearl perhaps never actually got.

Oh Jesus, I'm getting misty. ;~;

Kind of late, but this exactly.  Was crying all throughout the episode.  Holy god.

I caught up on all the episodes I've missed this week.  Didn't expect to go on such a FEELS trip.

Don't want to separate pairs :(

Really, though, all these episodes were extremely poignant.  And also, the music is great.  Love the new intro.

Also, can we talk about Greg and Connie's dynamic?  Like, everyone has such a great relationship with one another, but I was surprised to see Connie and Greg having a soft moment as well.  Like, they seem like unrelated characters at first, but then you can see how much they can actually relate.  It's really touching and sweet.

I just want to gush over everything.

I don't think I can really say anything about "We Need to Talk" that hasn't already been said, but did anyone else find the colors to be especially gorgeous in this episode? Mainly during

the flashback scenes where Greg and the Gems were performing the song and where Greg and Rose were dancing with the floor lit up.

There were times when I nearly zoned out and missed important dialogue because my mind was too busy admiring the art. 

Huh.

I just realized that during the part where Greg confronts Rose about how he can't fuse with her and she thinks he's being a "silly human" because that's what she loves them for really makes you think Pearl was

almost right about him being a novelty to her. Something that amuses you for a while, but eventually grow tired of it because it has no lasting value. But it took his serious stance and desperation to show how much he has come to love her to help her understand and learn how love is both a wonderful and exasperating emotional experience in order for her to properly requite his growing feelings.

It more or less confirmed my suspicions regarding Lapis/Jasper/Malachite and it's important why they (it) must be found. Two different personalities clashing and disliking each other can potentially become dangerous when it resurfaces again.

Pearl's dream pretty much reiterates her unwavering loyalty for Rose and dismay for Greg. Only this time it hilariously blew up in her sleep.

Also admire Lapis's unwillingness to hurt anyone, especially after she almost did that in the Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem two-parter. And especially wanting to handle this herself for Steven's sake since he's the only person she feels some closeness to and is even the first person who really understood her.

Hm, from what I've heard, Lapis and Jasper

did show up again, after all, in today's episode. Apparently, they're much worse off now, too. Makes me wonder how they'll be when they appear in a future episode. Will "Malachite" take over completely, a la what could've happened with Sugilite?

The next one mentioned has a date:

tumblr_nq8l4dX2C71smn4pqo1_1280.jpg

Source

My mind just triggers that Sardonyx is a name given to Yellow Diamond. But I'll be damned if it's more of a twist of surprise towards it

Googling Sardonyx brings up August birthstones, the other one of which is Peridot. I would like to say it's a fusion between Peridot and someone else, but that would require Homeworld Gems seeing fusion as valuable. Regardless, I think there's a deliberate connection there. So excited! x)

It's definitely the name of a new fusion. And now learning it's connected to Yellow Diamond/Jasper just make me certain she'll come around soon. Hopefully Lapis will be okay somehow. Poor girl's really been through enough torment already.

:(

Also wonder if this means we'll finally get to see that Steven/Lion fusion we saw leaked a while back.

EDIT: Okay it's more of a Peridot thing. So could Peridot and Jasper fuse for a change? And once again, would that require if Lapis unfused with Jasper first, or could it being just a three's a crowd thing like what Garnet, Amethyst and Pearl did that one time?

I don't think we need to spoiler speculation. xP

And I'm not entirely banking on Jasper being too involved in this. Peridot is still acting and reporting to other people, so her actions don't necessitate Jasper being there. And since they're still in the ocean in the first place, if Jasper were a lynchpin in Homeworld operations then I feel Peridot would've focused on finding her than breeding this cluster thing at the Kindergarten....

Wait, what if Sardoynx is Peridot's experiment? 8O

I like how StevenBomb 3 is slated to air the week Gravity Falls returns with A Tale of Two Stans...

...just like how the first StevenBomb aired on the week of Gravity Falls' wham episode Not What He Seems.

...I'm kinda hoping that this leads to some sort of subtle crossover cameo between the two shows, i.e. the teleporting coffee cup and pens Gravity Falls did with Rick and Morty.

EDIT:

tumblr_nq8oxqMieI1uw556io1_400.png

...yep, that sums that week's theme in a nutshell.

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 2

Garnet is best Steve Urkel.

But seriously, I just got around to watching Chille Tid.  Good episode, although I really think the ending could be better.  Would it hurt to have so much as a "To be continued" or some kind of suspense builder instead of just "END GAG!"

Anyway, I really like the episode.  It was really intense watching Lapis' struggle to control Jasper.  Probably a not-as-subtle metaphor for abusive relationships, which I am always interested in.  So Steven can communicate with other gems in his sleep?  I wonder if we'll get any explanation for that?

My heart can't handle the feels that come with another Steven Bomb.  Please go easy on us, based writers! D'8