Awoo.

Oswald The Lucky Rabbit

The_Disney_Dork

Do we have any Oswald The Lucky Rabbit fans here? Oswald was Walt Disney's first cartoon star, before even Mickey Mouse. Disney was working with Universal at the time of Oswald's popularity, and let's just say that this wasn't the best partnership. Disney was always about quality, even back then, so he asked the people at Universal for more money so that he can make better quality Oswald cartoons. Sadly, Universal declined, and, seeing the success of Oswald, told Disney that not only are they not giving him more money, but they're also taking Oswald away from him. That's right, they took Oswald away, because technically they DID own the rights to the character. Extremely upset, Disney set out to create a new character, Mickey Mouse, who would become one of, if not the most popular and well known cartoon characters in the world.

Fast Forward to 2006. Disney trades Universal the rights to use Al Michaels in exchange for the rights to Oswald back. They got him.

In 2010, a Wii exclusive video game titled Epic Mickey was released, and featured Oswald as one of the main characters. The game tells the story of Mickey meeting Oswald for the first time, and gives a whole new view on things that were forgotten. I don't feel like explaining too much, so you'll have to play the game to really understand what I mean.

In 2012 a sequel to Epic Mickey was released, called Epic Mickey 2: The Power of 2. This game gave Oswald a much bigger role, and he was even a playable character. A spin off game for the 3DS called Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion was released at the same time, and also featured Oswald as a supporting character.

Aside from his role in the Epic Mickey series, a lot of merchandise of Oswald has been produced throughout 2007 to this day.

Oswald became my favorite Disney character after hearing his story. Think about it, if it weren't for Universal taking him away, OSWALD would have been the most popular character, loved by millions around the world, and Mickey wouldn't even exist. 

Well, that's a lot of writing I did. So, what do you guys think about Oswald? Did you like the Epic Mickey games? Do you have any ideas for how Disney could use Oswald for future projects? Are you glad he's back? Now, DISCUSS!

• Thumbs Up 1

I love Oswald, his design just screams 20's cartoons to me. He's so simple yet you wouldn't change a thing. Not seen enough of the cartoons though, only a couple and I can't remember them too much.

Keep meaning to pick up the disney treasures dvd that features them all.

oswald-the-lucky-rabbit-500x287-e1346859

Mickey Mouse was created by Ub Iwerks btw not Disney, though obviously Iwerks was working for him at the time.

The first thing Disney produced after starting his own company were the Alice comedies which mixed live action with animation, it's actually the first series to feature Pete, even if he did look a lot different.

http://thedisneydrivenlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/pete-in-the-alice-comedies.jpg

So Pete's actually an older character than mickey too.

Haha, no my name doesn't mean I am a fan of Oswald the lucky Rabbit. Not unless he was a sexy time travelling companion tongue.png

I don't really remember Oswald. Would be cool if is a playable/unlockable character in the Castle of Illusion HD remake releasing this summer.

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

The first thing Disney produced after starting his own company were the Alice comedies which mixed live action with animation, it's actually the first series to feature Pete, even if he did look a lot different.

So Pete's actually an older character than mickey too.

I just didn't mention those because Oswald was really the first star, or series to take off and become very popular. One thing about his design: I agree with you as I love his design (I prefer the classic design of characters such as Mickey and Minnie compared to their modern counterparts as well) But the thing is, if they're really going to make Oswald big again, AND introduce him to a younger audience, they're gonna have to change his design. It wouldn't be much (He'd need pupils, gloves, MAYBE some shoes, and an update to his pants, like buttons or suspenders maybe) but it would still be something. 

Fucking yes.

Oswald is possibly one of my favorite of Walt Disney's works, and quite possibly my favorite Cartoon Character of all time, possibly even more so than Mickey Mouse (They're pretty much the same in their original shorts, but I kinda like Oswald's design better... Plus his characterization in Epic Mickey was great and rather sad.) Just the creativity that shows in both the Walt Disney shorts and even some of the Walter Lantz shorts really serve as an inspiration to me.

Most Oswald fans refuse to acknowledge the  Lantz era's existance... While yeah, I kinda prefer Disney and Iwerk's shorts due to their fluid animation and overall zaniness, I can get some enjoyment out of the later shorts. They're still a fun watch.

I'm really hoping Disney does something with him soon. He needs more recognition and redemption after the failure that was Epic Mickey 2.

But the thing is, if they're really going to make Oswald big again, AND introduce him to a younger audience, they're gonna have to change his design. It wouldn't be much (He'd need pupils, gloves, MAYBE some shoes, and an update to his pants, like buttons or suspenders maybe) but it would still be something. 

Errr.... Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree with this. I think Oswald is just fine the way he is... I don't really see how his design wont appeal to a young audience... Heck, I've heard and seen children getting excited over anything Oswald related (As average as it was, I think Epic Mickey really helped out) I don't think kids would care either way.

Besides, giving him that redesign would only make him look more like Mickey Mouse... And we all know how everyone feels about that design. 

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

I like Oswald. He's so cute! <3

I was first introduced to him in Epic Mickey and loved his personality and characterization there. I felt so sorry for him, knowing that his younger "brother" became the famous one, and not him. I couldn't care less about anything else in Epic Mickey, the story and characters themselves were really lovely and it made me want to watch some Oswald shorts (which I did!).

Btw, Oswald did get some redesigns under Universal's wing. Two in fact!

Oswald_the_lucky_rabbit.gif

170px-Comic_Oswald.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Errr.... Sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree with this. I think Oswald is just fine the way he is... I don't really see how his design wont appeal to a young audience... Heck, I've heard and seen children getting excited over anything Oswald related (As average as it was, I think Epic Mickey really helped out) I don't think kids would care either way.

Besides, giving him that redesign would only make him look more like Mickey Mouse... And we all know how everyone feels about that design. 

If they were to add Oswald to the main cast of Mickey Mouse characters (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Donald, Daisy and Goofy) they would have to change his design as he would not fit in with the others. Mickey had his classic design in the Epic Mickey games so that he would fit in with the other classic characters. They would definitely have to at LEAST give him pupils if they were to add him (and Ortensia and the Bunny Children...I can only dream lol) to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and the like. He COULD keep his design in the upcoming Mickey Mouse shorts though, which are using the character's classic designs (I can't wait for these shorts, I'm really hoping Oswald is in at least ONE of them).

I know this is a bit random, but I think it ties in a bit to the topic:

Will Oswald make an appearance in any of the Kingdom Hearts games, you think? And if so, what sort of role do you think he'd play?

Personally, I could see him as a "lost brother" like he was in Epic Mickey. Someone who might've had Disney Castle's crown had it not been for a certain mouse...;)

Edited by Potada
  • Thumbs Up 1

Will Oswald make an appearance in any of the Kingdom Hearts games, you think? And if so, what sort of role do you think he'd play?

Personally, I could see him as a "lost brother" like he was in Epic Mickey. Someone who might've had Disney Castle's crown had it not been for a certain mouse...wink.png

Not random at all...this thread is to be used to share ideas for Oswald's future. I think it would be cool if Oswald was in Kingdom hearts...maybe he takes over as king while Mickey's away on an adventure or something? Personally I'm not a fan of Kingdom Hearts, but I know enough about it...well, the Disney character parts anyway...

Personally, I could see him as a "lost brother" like he was in Epic Mickey. Someone who might've had Disney Castle's crown had it not been for a certain mouse...wink.png

If Oswald were to ever get a role in Kingdom Hearts, I'd squee... In a girly but masculine way of course.

I have been wondering what role he would play in the games though... I do like the Idea of him being the first king of Disney Castle or someone who was about to become the king, before Mickey came in... After all, in the Timeless River, it didn't seem Mickey Mouse was king yet.

Here's the first Oswald cartoon the was released for those who are interested.

It wasn't the first one produced however, that honour fell to a cartoon called Poor Papa which was rejected by Universaland now seems to be lost. Disney reused the story some time later however and it came to light in this cartoon, Mickey's Nightmare. Seems pretty obvious now looking at it, the squad of baby mice are clearly place holders for Oswald's litter. Give this one a watch and replace Mickey with Oswald in your head and you have the original short.

Also, this statue is a thing

297px-Walt_Disney_And_Oswald_True_Origin

Shut up and take my money!

• Thumbs Up 3

I forgot to mention that I collect Oswald merchandise. Right now I have an Oswald plush toy, an ear hat I got from pre ordering Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, a Christmas tree ornament, a mug and a plastic tumbler. The last two things I mentioned are still available on the Disney Store website (along with a few other Oswald things) for anyone who's interested. 

Another reason I like Oswald is because of his family. His girlfriend (wife?) Ortensia and his 420 adorable bunny children biggrin.png I feel that his family situation would make for some hilarious cartoons. An idea I had for a cartoon was Oswald and Ortensia going on a date or something, and them leaving the bunny children with their uncle Mickey to watch them. That would be hilarious I think tongue.png

Love Oswald. Maybe even more than Mickey, he is just instantly likeable and it warms my heart now that he's back in the light and that basically he's considered Mickey's brother. Question: What do you think of Frank Welker as his voice? Do you want them to keep or would want a different voice? I personally love his voice. It's different yet really memorable and fitting.

Love Oswald. Maybe even more than Mickey, he is just instantly likeable and it warms my heart now that he's back in the light and that basically he's considered Mickey's brother. Question: What do you think of Frank Welker as his voice? Do you want them to keep or would want a different voice? I personally love his voice. It's different yet really memorable and fitting.

I like the voice he chose for Oswald. Everyone was expecting him to sound like Mickey Mouse, and I'm personally thankful they didn't go that route. I've always imagined Oswald's voice to sound somewhat more gruff and scrappier as opposed to Mickey Mouse's light and jolly sounding voice.

Though there were times in Epic Mickey 2 where Frank Welker started to channel his Scrappy Doo voice into Oswald, down to almost quoting him, ("Let me at em" and "Puppy Remote Power!" come to mind) and that got a little grating. 

Overall though, I'm pretty pleased with the voice Oswald has now. 

I forgot to mention that I collect Oswald merchandise. Right now I have an Oswald plush toy, an ear hat I got from pre ordering Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two, a Christmas tree ornament, a mug and a plastic tumbler. The last two things I mentioned are still available on the Disney Store website (along with a few other Oswald things) for anyone who's interested. 

Nice, that's more stuff than I have. I own an Oswald plush I got from the Disney Store website, and  hand drawn picture I got from California adventure. I'm hoping that there will be some Oswald hats on sale at the Magic Kingdom... I NEED to have that.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oswald's cute! And a great character in contrast to Mickey. I loved his and Mickey's dynamic in Epic Mickey and I'm actually really sad to hear that those games kicked the bucket thanks to Disney messing up the prices at the last minute. :< 

The idea of him coming back OUTSIDE of Epic Mickey makes me incredibly happy. That was my concern when they made Junction Point go defunct -- if Oswald would get any love outside of it. 

Kingdom Hearts, a re-design into the more current cast... I don't care. I don't want the entire point of Epic Mickey's entire supporting cast to be neglected -- to give forgotten characters love. 

Besides, Mickey's been re-designed several times to fit in the current character design dos and don't's. Oswald, I think, would look pretty good if given that kind of treatment -- like he would've he was always Disney's. 

I really like the voice they chose for Oswald. I'm glad he doesn't sound as "cute" or "innocent" as Mickey does, because hey, deep down...Oswald's a mischievous little trouble maker (which is why I love him tongue.png ). So yeah, I love Ozzie's voice, but Ortensia's can get a BIT annoying after a while...it's like a squeakier version of Minnie's voice, which is pretty high pitched wacko.png I still love Ortensia though wub.png

While we're on the topic of voices, I've gotta say, I kind of hate Mickey's new voice. It sounds like a cheap imitation of his original one, and like the voice actor is trying way too hard. Hopefully that will get better over time.

Nice, that's more stuff than I have. I own an Oswald plush I got from the Disney Store website, and  hand drawn picture I got from California adventure. I'm hoping that there will be some Oswald hats on sale at the Magic Kingdom... I NEED to have that.

Oh, I've seen those hand drawn pictures online, they look so cool...I'd love to have one or ten of those. Sadly I've never been to California Adventure to get one...

The Oswald ear hats are available in the parks right now. I know they're in the Oswald's gas station in DCA, but I'm not too sure about the Magic Kingdom. They are available on the Disney Store's website though, so if you can't find one in person, you can always get one there. The one I have is identical to the one at the parks save for a few details...the circle is blue instead of red (I prefer this as Oswald's shorts are blue) and it says "Epic Mickey 2" on it whereas the park version says "Oswald The Lucky Rabbit". I like that on the hat better, but like I said I prefer the blue over the red. I will get a park version of the hat if I go there though, you can even get your name sewn on the back of it!

Edited by SonicBoyAnt

Search for Oswald on Disneystore.com - 15 results, hats, prints, shirts, ears.....

Search for Oswald on disneystore.co.uk - 5 results...five versions of epic mickey.....what the actual fuck?

Search for Oswald on Disneystore.com - 15 results, hats, prints, shirts, ears.....

Search for Oswald on disneystore.co.uk - 5 results...five versions of epic mickey.....what the actual fuck?

Search for Oswald on Disney Store Japan...they have everything from plushes to towels to clothing to stationary to backpacks to phone cases and more...apparently he's really popular in Japan.