Awoo.

Patticus

I've just finished  reading a book where there were herds of cloned mammoths running around and it made me wish it could come true. And now this? I'm excited.

Now we need some Dodo blood, I want a dodo.

I don't think cloning is fair on the animals, clones have all sorts of health problems and whats more a mammoth could only survive in captivity nowadays anyway, so what is really the point of cloning a mammoth, because it's 'cool'?

Cloning won't happen unless this blood (if that is what it is) contains millions of complete and viable genome sequences (rather than the dozens or hundreds used in past resurrection attempts), which seems like a long shot.

Anyway, the point of cloning a Woolly Mammoth would primarily be to be able to observe first-hand one of the most iconic creatures from the Earth's past, which nobody has born witness to since before the (known) earliest days of Human civilization. In the eventuality that the experiment actually creates one or more viable living Mammoths, we would be able to observe and document its (or their) growth, examine social interactions with other Elephants, not to mention generate huge sums of money from the tourism it would surely drum up, which could go jointly towards conservation, further resurrection cloning research, and better surroundings for the animal(s). Perhaps we could even create more clones, or cross the DNA with that of existing Elephant species and, even if we couldn't resurrect the Mammoths of old, we coul find ourselves the creators of a whole new Elephant sub-species.

The whole affair, successful or not, could also provide invaluable data on the viability (or lack thereof) of bringing back other ancient species, high quality samples of which which we may also find one day. Sadly, this is probably limited to long-dead creatures locked away in the ice or permafrost at the poles, but even so it might someday yield wonderful results.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've just finished  reading a book where there were herds of cloned mammoths running around and it made me wish it could come true. And now this? I'm excited.

Now we need some Dodo blood, I want a dodo.

OMG what book was it? I think I know what book your taking about.was is the caryatids by bruce sterling?