Awoo.

Atari's ET Graveyard has been found... "Rise from your grave!" "IT'S ALIVE!"

Badnik Mechanic

Looking at the images again... boy... those sure are very clean cartridges which have apparently been burred for all this time aren't they?

GAF has said the same thing too, but others have counter-argued with facts like how dry the ground is over there and it being a landfill means that trash could've stopped the decomposition. 

Also, remember that these were buried in pristine, wrapped packaging. The wrapping is made of plastic, which takes 500 years at best to totally degrade and be destroyed under ground.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder how the AVGN feels right now

If i recall, part of his upcoming movie is centered around the digging of that site, so methinks he had somehow a part in this.

If i recall, part of his upcoming movie is centered around the digging of that site, so methinks he had somehow a part in this.

Not true, his movie was filmed elsewhere, Los Angeles I think. I'm more surprised it's taken this long for the actual excavation to happen.

I think it's really satisfying that the truth of this legend finally emerged.  It's like a new legend in itself.

Regarding the whole legend thing, I was under the impression that the legend wasn't "Atari buried old games" as much as it's "Atari buried thousands of old games."

Show me the games!

P.S.

Suggestion for what to do with them. 

Put them on mini plinths, sell them via auction for charity.

Edit: Checks the twitter....

OH my goodness!

qJXWEsv.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xos2MnVxe-c

They're alive!

And the legend might be real!

GhYFV39.jpg

""There is so much stuff they've pulled up. This is all just atari 2600 games."

Might be an explanation for how they survived.

tinKlFr.jpg

Thats a shipping box. So the games have been inside new sealed boxes, which have also had a shipping box wrapped around them.

• Thumbs Up 2

First question, is that just garbage in that pic or what they dug up?

Second question, was the damage from those boxes deterioration, impact from throwing them in their, or them digging them up?

They work? Are they made of Nintendonium?.

No, like Hog said, they were in boxes wrapped in plastic. Plastic takes at least 500 years to just disintegrate. 

Sweet mother of...

This is hilarious. They actually buried tons of copies.

I've heard jokes about companies recalling terrible games just to destroy them, and this makes me ponder if any company would seriously do it.

I'm amazed the legend was real, but why did it take this long for someone to actually follow it and dig them up?

I'm amazed the legend was real, but why did it take this long for someone to actually follow it and dig them up?

Red tape, this is still an active landfill owned by the city. it takes a good while to convince a city to just dig around in a trash heap.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's funny, I was actually taken aback today by people saying "the myth is real". I had only ever seen this spoken of as if it were absolute fact.

So uh....what do they do with 'em now?

As stupid as it sounds I can actually see a lot of these (especially the ones with the shipping packaging still intact) going on eBay and the like for quite a large price and people actually buying them. Everyone knows the game's a pile of shit, but to some this is more of a piece of video game history than a reminder of a turd of a movie-to-game adaption.

It's funny, I was actually taken aback today by people saying "the myth is real". I had only ever seen this spoken of as if it were absolute fact.

So uh....what do they do with 'em now?

Auction them off, what else. this is a piece of video game history hell be damned what kind of game it is its what it represents, an era where video games were at their bleakest and didn't look like they had no chance of coming back.

I'd like to own a piece of that history if it isn't ungodly expensive.

So it WAS true then. All these years and only now do we find out that Atari really did bury all those cartridges in the desert, and not just ET games from the looks of it. Guess this means the Atari Jaguar's turned into dental equipment is real too.

Guess this means the Atari Jaguar's turned into dental equipment is real too.

Wait what? this is the first I've heard of this.

Yeah, apparently the molds that were used to make the Jaguar were bought up by a dental company and used to make Dental Cameras.

It seems to be a widely proven fact, too.

I first heard about this on one of James & Mike's playrhroughs, it was the Atari Jaguar CD one. But yeah, they took the Atari Jaguar's shell, painted it white and made into equipment to X-ray your teeth with.

JaguarDental.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7