Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Pauline could be a good choice for a new female racer. I don't think they can use characters from the Paper Mario or M&L games since they've never appeared outside of those, not even in spin offs. And at least Pauline is a better choice than fecking Honey Queen! >__>

Agreed, Pauline would be a pretty neat new addition, and she's definitely more relevant now than she's ever been thanks to the Mario vs Donkey Kong series keeping her presence alive. Plus, who wouldn't want to act out a high velocity cat fight between her and Peach, hurling shells at each other in a desperate bid to win Mario's affections! :lol:

I don't see them ever using characters from the RPGs - especially Paper Mario - because they're mostly one-shot appearances and I can't see a lot of them translating well into a racing game, particularly if they have to be fleshed out from a wafer-thin 2D character model to a fully-fledged 3D one.

I know it'll never happen but I really would like to see Nintendo pull a real surprise and include Tatanga and Wart from Super Mario Land and Super Mario Bros. 2 respectively. They'd just be so unexpected, it'd be amazing :P as I say, no way am I gonna hold out any hope for those guys, but in my Subcon-esque dream version of the game, they're in there somewhere!

• Thumbs Up 3

Agreed, Pauline would be a pretty neat new addition, and she's definitely more relevant now than she's ever been thanks to the Mario vs Donkey Kong series keeping her presence alive. Plus, who wouldn't want to act out a high velocity cat fight between her and Peach, hurling shells at each other in a desperate bid to win Mario's affections! laugh.png

I don't see them ever using characters from the RPGs - especially Paper Mario - because they're mostly one-shot appearances and I can't see a lot of them translating well into a racing game, particularly if they have to be fleshed out from a wafer-thin 2D character model to a fully-fledged 3D one.

I know it'll never happen but I really would like to see Nintendo pull a real surprise and include Tatanga and Wart from Super Mario Land and Super Mario Bros. 2 respectively. They'd just be so unexpected, it'd be amazing tongue.png as I say, no way am I gonna hold out any hope for those guys, but in my Subcon-esque dream version of the game, they're in there somewhere!

Throw in DK Jr, and you got the perfect retro four, and I'd be down for that

Some of the paper mario characters would be easy though, like Parakarry

Honestly, I think we are in for a direct in the next few weeks to get up the final Hype for release, with a possible tv viewing of it too through nintendo's partners. However I also think a major focus will be the mysterious MKTV, then the modes for this one, since we havent seen ANYTHING of Battle mode, throw in a new group of characters, and you got your final push for release

Throw in DK Jr, and you got the perfect retro four, and I'd be down for that

Some of the paper mario characters would be easy though, like Parakarry

Honestly, I think we are in for a direct in the next few weeks to get up the final Hype for release, with a possible tv viewing of it too through nintendo's partners. However I also think a major focus will be the mysterious MKTV, then the modes for this one, since we havent seen ANYTHING of Battle mode, throw in a new group of characters, and you got your final push for release

I dunno, Parakarry is basically just a modified Paratroopa, and we've already got enough Koopa-based characters in Mario Kart 8 as it is so I'd rather he sat this one out. After all, there can be too much of a good thing, etc. :lol:

I too feel like there'll be another Nintendo Direct before the game launches, either a Mario Kart specific one or just a segment on the game in a more general one, detailing Mario Kart TV and Battle Mode. They'll probably reveal the last couple of tracks too, like Yoshi Valley 64 and Sherbert Land from Double Dash, although I don't expect to see the new Rainbow Road until the game itself arrives on 30th May. I want that one to be a surprise at least.

I doubt their will be anymore Koopa related charactes aside from Bowser jr. and possibly Kamek or Dry Bones.

Oh, and speaking of Battle Mode, it is in the game and also available for Single Player along with Vs. Mode. Both Modes were in the Preview Build, they just weren't playable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQS-cVohMRY&list=FLTaS1PSdZeVZPDoDnqZ3ddQ&index=7

It seems like the European Game review folks are allowed to spoil more on the game unlike the American reviewers. Shoot, Europe is getting the Wii U Bundle too, the U.S.A seems to be in the dark about MK8 in general.

I know it'll never happen but I really would like to see Nintendo pull a real surprise and include Tatanga and Wart from Super Mario Land and Super Mario Bros. 2 respectively. They'd just be so unexpected, it'd be amazing tongue.png as I say, no way am I gonna hold out any hope for those guys, but in my Subcon-esque dream version of the game, they're in there somewhere!

They totally should bring those two into the roster. I mean, Tatanga and Wart could use some love too.

That was a pretty indepth and well scripted review.  Shame the guy speaking sounded super stilted.  He could not have made that sound more uncomfortable and artificial sounding if he tried.

You don't lose items if you fall into hazards...we're back to a time before Mario Kart Double Dash,

You also don't seem to lose much ground either?

It seems like the European Game review folks are allowed to spoil more on the game unlike the American reviewers. Shoot, Europe is getting the Wii U Bundle too, the U.S.A seems to be in the dark about MK8 in general.

That seems a bit worrying. I know Nintendo isn't doing all that well over there and they're clearly trying to do something about it, but I hope that they don't forget to try to entice us Stateside folks to buy it, too.

Cough, cough, It appears Nintendo has realized that MK8 is their best hope

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227038-nintendo-details-year-long-marketing-campaign-for-mario-kart-8

- social media activity
- launch campaign includes online and TV activity
- will run from May 30th to the end of the year

“To herald the launch of the most hotly anticipated Wii U title to date we will have marketing activity pre-launch as well as post-launch moving through the summer and into peak season. For the first time in HD, Mario Kart 8 introduces original course designs that highlight the game’s new anti-gravity feature, which allows players to race upside down or up vertical surfaces. This adds a whole new dimension to the racing.” - Nintendo UK’s Mario brand manager Roger Langford
Link

A near year long advertising spree should help quite a bit

If only they could release the Wii U bundle in the US and Japan too. Now THAT would sell! Dang it Nintendo...

Maybe theirs more stuff to be announed once May hits and were in the Final 30 day countdown. The U.S needs SOMETHING.

I mean I'm satisfied with just the game myself, but Nintendo needs to really get this game and the Wii U itself out their.

A continuous marketing campaign? This is gonna be interesting. I'm wondering what Nintendo's gonna pull to keep the momentum going until Christmas. Maybe this is hinting at DLC?

A continuous marketing campaign? This is gonna be interesting. I'm wondering what Nintendo's gonna pull to keep the momentum going until Christmas. Maybe this is hinting at DLC?

DLC I could definitely see coming. There's plenty of room for additional characters on the roster if they wanted to add new ones in the future as DLC content. Not sure if they could do DLC stages...

DLC I could definitely see coming. There's plenty of room for additional characters on the roster if they wanted to add new ones in the future as DLC content. Not sure if they could do DLC stages...

depends on the stage really

Maybe something like the Mario kart Wii challenges they had in the Mario kart channel. Those tournaments are still updating each month today but obviously it goes in a circle and replays the same challenges over and over again. Hopefully they can expand on that.

Maybe they will, Nintendo can't just expect to bring in people with the same content for the whole year; no matter how good their campaign is.

Well, lookie what got out

the character select from the demo!

http://puu.sh/8pbDU.png

8pbDU.png

There is obviously waymore than enough room for 1 or 3 more rows, so I wouldnt be surprised if we got 9-15 more characters(including the known ? marks)

It'll be interesting to see what they have in store

The two spots next to Baby Daisy are likely to be two more younger characters (Diddy Kong/Bowser Jr/other baby characters?) whilst the one in the bottom right corner is likely to be Mii.

The two spots next to Baby Daisy are likely to be two more younger characters (Diddy Kong/Bowser Jr/other baby characters?) whilst the one in the bottom right corner is likely to be Mii.

actualy, in previous game mii got a special button seperate from the main select, no reason for that to change

on the younger characters note I would love to see DKJr myself, but what I was trying to say is that its actualy unlikely to be a baby character, since the villians have four slots, why couldnt the babies? we just needa wait and see

Miis are usually separate from the rest of the character select. That bottom corner is probs either Bowser Jr. or some other baddie, possibly new or old. I'd guess either King Boo or Petey. The two spaces next to Baby Daisy are probs where Diddy and Jr (If he's not with the Koopalings) would probably end up. 

I'd be fine with this being the final roster, though, part of me wants them to add an extra column just so that the Koopalings aren't awkwardly divided into two row

The 1st and 3rd rows look ridiculously similar. I'd kill myself if we get a Baby Rosalina and Baby Metal Mario. xD

As you guys say, it'll probably be Diddy and Bowser Jr. Not sure of the bottom right slot.

The 1st and 3rd rows look ridiculously similar. I'd kill myself if we get a Baby Rosalina and Baby Metal Mario. xD

As you guys say, it'll probably be Diddy and Bowser Jr. Not sure of the bottom right slot.

Oh god no... but I'm not so sure on Bowser Jr. still. First of all, if Bowser Jr. is in I think he would be better off in the bottom row, and Dixie Kong would be well-placed right next to Diddy. I still think there's a chance Dixie is in this roster at that rate.

Well, lookie what got out

http://puu.sh/8pbDU.png

8pbDU.png

There is obviously waymore than enough room for 1 or 3 more rows, so I wouldnt be surprised if we got 9-15 more characters(including the known ? marks)

It'll be interesting to see what they have in store

Here's the MKWii roster: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jndeL7cRNrI/Tt0n0edQK2I/AAAAAAAAJkY/6j7C5-ivFHY/s1600/gfs_92975_2_5.jpg

Mii is on the bottom below the final row on the right side. Mii could easily fit into this roster in that same spot without taking up the bottom right corner, leaving it for Bowser Jr. or perhaps Kamek (personally I don't think Bowser Jr. is going to make this roster with the Koopalings in it).

1 or 3 more rows? Lol. I'm sorry, I'd love a new row, but I don't see it happening. With these three ? spots we've still got the largest Mario Kart roster ever at 30.

I wonder who really thought having all seven koopalings would be better than tossing Dry Bones in again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder who really thought having all seven koopalings would be better than tossing Dry Bones in again.

Because they've never been playable?

....Aaaand now I'm sad because Dry Bones isn't there and I'm just realizing it. D:

Or maybe he's in the baby row.