Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Almost got 3 Star rank on everything. Only have Mirror Mushroom and Special cups to go. It's not all that difficult in this game actually. Just need to get good. Once you're in first and have an item trailing behind you or a Super Horn in hand the CPU can't touch you. Just requires getting good.

This is the experience I'm having on 150cc so far too.  From playing online last night I know a lot of folks here are far from bad so they must just be having -really- bad luck.

Played some Mario Kart 8 at my friend's house (I don't have a Wii U) with him and some other people for some hours, and overall, I think it's a pretty good game. It's not that hard to adapt to from Mario Kart Wii, and the tracks are pretty fun. There was this one time on Grumble Volcano, where it seemed that my controller was doing all sorts of wacky things, although it turned out that for some reason the controllers for player 2 and player 3 switched, so player 2 ended up playing as player 3 and player 3 ended up playing as player 2. This was not a fun discovery, but luckily it wasn't some completely obscure bug. So far, I have to say that my favorite combination is either the jet bike with the roller wheels or the comet with the roller wheels. It doesn't have the greatest speed, but I love the acceleration on it. In other news, after playing as Baby Rosalina for some time, I don't really hate her inclusion like I did before. 

This is the experience I'm having on 150cc so far too. From playing online last night I know a lot of folks here are far from bad so they must just be having -really- bad luck.

Haha I know you aren't talking about me, Although I WAS winning Sunshine Airport that time untill I got pummelled with like everything

Uuugghh I still can't three-star the Star Cup because of fucking Dolphin Shoals. It is literally the only stage I cannot get first place in and I have no idea why

Anyone else seen the shortcuts the Rainbow Road staff ghost takes? I was so confused at first but I tried them out and eventually got it

The second one especially is such a long-shot I'm really surprised a staff ghost would use a shortcut like that

(everyone probably knows about these already and I'm just slow)

Who said I was complaining?

I wasn't...was I? >.> If I did, I apologise. I just meant comments in general, not just yours.

I mean yah, it is annoying when shit like that happens but it's been in every single Mario Kart game and I doubt it'll ever change. It's part of the Mario Kart schtick.

Anyone else seen the shortcuts the Rainbow Road staff ghost takes? I was so confused at first but I tried them out and eventually got it

Oh these are cool!  I actually fell off onto the track below during that final area and was like "SHIT" without even realising that was a good thing to do haha.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 Star ranked every cup and what do you get?

Nothing :D

Dead serious...

Rather disappointing

3 Star ranked every cup and what do you get?

Nothing biggrin.png

Dead serious...

Rather disappointing

Really? what happened to the

Gold Standard Kart Parts?

Really? what happened to the

Gold Standard Kart Parts?

They're unlocked via different methods:

Gold Standard Body - Get at least 1 Star rank on all 150cc and Mirror cup races

Gold Standard Tires - Beat every staff ghost data in Time Trails

Gold Standard Glider - Accumulate a total of at least 10,000 coins

Ahhh, I got the wrong impression from somewhere then. I thought I heard it somewhere

Edit:

Also why aren't there Gold Standard bike and offroader bodies? I love my bikes!

I'll admit, the more I use MKTV's features, the more it's shortcomings show through.  I really wish you could customise which exact moments to show in a video.  The game seems to have different ideas on what is a cool moment to me.  Even when you extend it to 60 seconds, it tends to just show more barely relevant moments in which it's clear why the game didn't pick them for the 30 second reel, or it shows the same clips but more irrelevant stuff before/after the moment it previously focused on.  Naturally you can just save the entire race as a replay, but who wants to watch a whole race just for one moment?

My inability to capture it aside, I for some reason, the Potted Piranha Plant eating a Blooper before it could squirt ink on my screen just entertained me greatly due to the Piranha Plant's excellent comedic timing of waiting a moment before unceremoniously chomping it.

As a reminder to how the tourneys work - the weekly one is now active with no limits on racing, but I'd recommend switching over to the Daily one in 50 minutes time since that one is only active for 8 races for a single hour, so you gotta be there or be square!

• Thumbs Up 5

The second one especially is such a long-shot I'm really surprised a staff ghost would use a shortcut like that

(everyone probably knows about these already and I'm just slow)

Falling/Jumping off a specific part of the track as a short cut is available once again...and its Rainbow Road too!

Isn't that quite the coincidental thing?

Falling/Jumping off a specific part of the track as a short cut is available once again...and its Rainbow Road too!

Isn't that quite the coincidental thing?

I wonder about that, when I first saw it I thought "holy shit a staff ghost making a ridiculous jump like that?" and when I made the jump myself it felt like a glitch. I almost couldn't believe this was something the developers "intended" to implement, it does actually feel like a reference to the infamous Rainbow Road jump because I can't think of many other instances in the series where jumping from one part of the track to another is an acceptable shortcut

Anybody else kinda feelin'...underwhelmed?

I dunno what it is.  Everything besides the piss-poor roster is spot-on, but I'm just not enjoying it like I thought I would.  Hm.

Also, I'm the last person to advocate putting more babies into the game, but if we're going to have them crammed down our throat, can we PLEASE get fucking Baby Wario already?!  JESUS.  I'm AWFUL with big characters.  Can't play them worth shit.

• Thumbs Up 3

The only underwhelming feeling I think I have is that after all the hype and amazing visuals and great controls and online and stuff, having 32 tracks just.. doesn't feel like it's enough 8(

That's the main reason I want DLC, the tracks are all really good but they're all done and dusted before you know it and I can't help but crave more already.

• Thumbs Up 7

Played and won a few Grand Prixs with Dreadknux and co. Incredibly fun stuff, frantic items were especially hilarious.

I wonder about that, when I first saw it I thought "holy shit a staff ghost making a ridiculous jump like that?" and when I made the jump myself it felt like a glitch. I almost couldn't believe this was something the developers "intended" to implement, it does actually feel like a reference to the infamous Rainbow Road jump because I can't think of many other instances in the series where jumping from one part of the track to another is an acceptable shortcut

Isnt there that shortcut on DK Mountain when you can cut out like 2 hairpin bends by jumping down the track?

Isnt there that shortcut on DK Mountain when you can cut out like 2 hairpin bends by jumping down the track?

Yeah that's not such a weird one though, the other part of the track is like right in front of you

Is there no option to change the number of laps on a course? I had a quick look yesterday on both single player and multiplayer Vs and I couldnt see the option anywhere, I'd happily up the number of laps for the courses, they can seen a bit short for some of them.

Also I want them to re release every old track for this game!

Is there no option to change the number of laps on a course? I had a quick look yesterday on both single player and multiplayer Vs and I couldnt see the option anywhere, I'd happily up the number of laps for the courses, they can seen a bit short for some of them.

Also I want them to re release every old track for this game!

No way at all, and I'm not surprised, Wario Summit isn't in any way built to accommodate more than one lap.

I know, but surely it would work like Baby Park worked, having a different sent number of laps, it would be the only track to keep its lap number?
I would just like to race for a bit longer or some of the tracks

A 5/6 lap option definitely wouldn't hurt. 5 laps for most tracks and 6 for Rainbow Road 64, making 2 actual laps (Mount Wario's lap count could easily be forced to 3). Last time I saw a lap option was in Mario Kart Super Circuit. I kinda miss it.