Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I doubt Snake is coming back. The character has absolutely no history with Nintendo and his appearance in Brawl was basically one big Playstation commercial in Nintendo's killer app.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_(video_game)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake%27s_Revenge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_Snakes

Get some gaming history in ya

2 terrible NES ports that didn't establish the series popularity, a remake no one liked, and a port of MGS3 everyone stopped caring about.

That's some goddamn extensive history right there.

• Thumbs Up 6

Two ports and a remake of a Playstation 1 game compared to Megaman's long expansive library of Nintendo exclusives and Sonic's decade long rivarly with Mario and almost equally large amount of exclusive games.

Snake has "history" with Nintendo, but he wasn't notable or important to Nintendo and it's history at all.

It doesn't matter how significant your series' connection to Nintendo is as long as you beg to Sakurai enough. And Snake had a cool moveset, so I'd be fine with him coming back.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I just heard that some of Namco Bandai's staff is working on this game. You guys think there's a good chance we could get Lloyd Irving in? I hope we get at least one good Tales character.

All the snakes are literally the same DNA, frankly it doesn't matter.

They kinda do and then they kinda don't. Solid Snake is made with Big Boss' recessive genes (although he is told by Liquid that he has the dominant ones), Liquid Snake has Big Boss' dominant genes and Solidus is the one and only perfect clone of Big Boss.

I don't really get the Snake hate. He was a fantastic addition to Brawl, especially from a gameplay perspective. Losing him would be in no way a good thing. I'd take Snake over a lot of characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

It was confirmed a long time ago that no Tales characters will be in.

And to boot, that Namco wasn't getting any special treatment just for helping them make the game, so I'd be legitimately surprised if any of their IPs got in, much less Tales.

It was confirmed a long time ago that no Tales characters will be in.

Oh well, guess I'll just go back to hoping for Lucina.

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't matter how significant your series' connection to Nintendo is as long as you beg to Sakurai enough. And Snake had a cool moveset, so I'd be fine with him coming back.

I'm going to assume Sakurai is being much more strict about third parties this time around. He's specifically said he'll only allow "special cases". 

And to boot, that Namco wasn't getting any special treatment just for helping them make the game, so I'd be legitimately surprised if any of their IPs got in, much less Tales.

Honestly, Tales seems like the only contender considering it was the first series on the SNES to achieve full voice audio, and Symphonia was the most popular JRPG on the Gamecube.

Then again I don't know any of the history Namco's other franchises have.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to assume Sakurai is being much more strict about third parties this time around. He's specifically said he'll only allow "special cases". 

I guess Sonic is considered a "Special" case? Then again, Sega and Nintendo are basically butt buddies now. 

I don't really get the Snake hate. He was a fantastic addition to Brawl, especially from a gameplay perspective. Losing him would be in no way a good thing. I'd take Snake over a lot of characters.

As long as they fix his hitboxes, I'd be fine with him coming back.

Snake2J_2722.jpg

I can see why some people don't want him, though. His inclusion was completely out of the blue, and plenty of players aren't too big on third party characters in general.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic probably has the most interesting history of them all.

Let's face it, Sonic established Nintendo's first real competitor in the market. And nowadays Sonic is essentially considered a psuedo Nintendo IP. I'd say he has every right to be in Smash Bros. And I don't even like playing as him.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 terrible NES ports that didn't establish the series popularity, a remake no one liked, and a port of MGS3 everyone stopped caring about.

That's some goddamn extensive history right there.

That's still history. Whether or not you like the NES ports is pretty irellevent considering they were the west's first exposure to MG and pretty popular ??? How old are you exactly?  I'm not old enough to really know whether people gave a shit about these games or not as it's a bit before my time.

I'm pretty sure Metal Gear on NES must have been fairly popular, though if they had enough success to develop Snake's Revenge. 

And who could forget- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_(Game_Boy)

Just like before then, when he added Sonic and Snake on a special case basis. 

Kojima begged him hard enough that he relented. Snake's inclusion ended up being advertising for a game on the competitor's system and he felt incredibly out of place.

I'm going to wager that Sakurai is trying to avoid that happening again this time around.

Eh, to be honest, while I don't mind Snake being in Brawl (while remaining a bit bemused at how his stage was basically a playable advert for Metal Gear Solid 4), I certainly won't lose sleep if he, for whatever reason, winds up being a no-show for Smash 4.

That's still history. Whether or not you like the NES ports is pretty irellevent considering they were the west's first exposure to MG and pretty popular ??? Although I'm not old enough to really know as it's a bit before my time.

And who could forget- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid_(Game_Boy)

My only real exposure of knowledge to how Metal Gear performed on NES is from AVGN, so it's guaranteed 90% bullshit, but it really does seem to be a buggy game.

Granted most popular NES games were shitty overall when it comes to bugs.

Personal view on this, but I just don't see 3 ports and a remake as substantial history to warrant a position. MGS is basically a Sony franchise since it's where most of the Metal Gear fans jump to for the games. Though that Game Boy thing is interesting.

Basically from what I understand, MGS is really what solidified (hurr) the franchises popularity in the west

The NES port of Metal Gear was successful enough for Snake's Revenge to happen, and Snake's Revenge existing is the reason Kojima felt compelled to make Metal Gear 2, allegedly. Nintendo's definitely got an (alleged) important place in that series' history, even if they haven't had much to do with each other since then.

I'm not expecting Snake to be back, though. There are plenty of reasons it'd be weird, but the main thing is that I kind of doubt we're going to see more than two third-party characters.

Plot twist: and then Sakurai announces Solar Boy Django instead of Snake.

Personally while I agree that Snake is unlikely he's still possible, you can't really count anything certain when it comes to Sakurai games. Kojima and Sakurai are friends, Kojima and his son wanted to see Snake in Smash, but Nintendo and Konami have had a worse relationship in recent years despite MGS3D which basically landed off the radar everywhere. Could be that Kojima's too busy, could be that he doesn't much care any more, could be that Snake will actually return.

I have to agree with Chooch, while he may not fit the game's vibe and roster incredibly well he's great from a gameplay perspective, he offers one of the most original movesets in the series which is perfectly balance-able should they choose to use him again.

Plus there's no denying that he's iconic. Konami may have Bomberman but I'm sure they'd consider Snake to be more iconic (which makes me cry because I want Bomberman to be in Smash but I know that if Konami have to choose between Bomberman and Snake they'll choose Snake every time)

• Thumbs Up 1