Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

On that note, vs. Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man will definitely be an event match. Calling it.

It's a must! Platform Kings duking it out!

Given Sonic, Link and Mario's status as the inaugural members of the Walk of Game, it's kind of strange they don't get any event with each other.

I feel like having many Mario/MegaMan/Sonic/DK matches. The ultimate iconic character battle! (needs PacMan tho.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Shame for no story mode. It'd be interesting to see what they'd cook up with all three icons in it. Ah well though. I guess they can always leave it for a more formal crossover if Nintendo and SEGA ever stop being scared to try something new. tongue.png

It does make me wonder if we'll at least get some unique boss battle models. Eggman, Wily, etc. not appearing as playable makes sense but them appearing as non-playable bosses isn't too insane if they try to blend the more classic Adventure mode with some elements of Subspace Emissary.

Or maybe I'm just rambling...

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm kind of hoping for an Adventure Mode long enough to justify a Quick Save feature, but short enough to be beatable in one sitting, with each character having their own set of levels (there would of course be crossovers and a few "generic" levels that appear for many characters) with a few areas containing customised platforming challenges to that particular character.  Bosses, again, could contain a mixture of generic original bosses and classic Nintendo ones, with characters from similar settings fighting similar ones (so for example if say, King Dodongo was a boss, all the Zelda characters along with Pit and the Fire Emblem guys would get it in their level "setlist" at some point).

Though I'll be happy as long as we get character-specific Target Test or Board the Platforms again.  I just want something that tests each characters specific abilities.

I just want something that keeps me playing as every character as a genuinely fun thing.  Like, in 64/Melee, it was a fun Single Player session to just play through every Target Test in order and enjoy both the level design and playing as every moveset in one sitting.  On Brawl of course, you had the enforced character limitations on Adventure Mode (though you don't get to play as Jigglypuff, Toon Link or Wolf, so yeah).

I just want a mode where I can play as everyone in a satisfying way in a single session like that.  The standard goal of steadily beating Classic and All-Star as each character to get trophies isn't that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am worried. With how badly the Wii U has been doing lately, I wonder if the Wii U will be around long enough by the time this game comes out, or will be around fr a good while after the game as released?

I am worried. With how badly the Wii U has been doing lately, I wonder if the Wii U will be around long enough by the time this game comes out, or will be around fr a good while after the game as released?

The game is set to be released this year and is pretty much the system-seller Nintendo has been waiting for. They're not going to discontinue the Wii U with this game and Mario Kart 8 awaiting release.

The game is set to be released this year and is pretty much the system-seller Nintendo has been waiting for. They're not going to discontinue the Wii U with this game and Mario Kart 8 awaiting release.

Oh wait a second; thank you for reminding me. I did for get that Smash Bros games are system sellers and that there is also Mario Kart 8. My bad. Silly me! Heh heh...

Admittedly them decided to put it on the handhelds this generation wasnt the greatest idea, they need all the wii-u sales they ccan get, and some people think that because they have the handheld version there is no reason to get the console version, OTHER than multiplayer always being superior on the console version!

Thats a good point, but I think while the Wii U is struggling and all, people are reacting like its doomed for Nintendo. Wich I think it's a bit ridiculous, I think Mario Kart 8 and Smash, plus the eventually to come Zelda will be enough to keep the console strong. Nintendo isn´t even close to consider discontinuing Wii U. Although it is a big warning for Nintendo, and I bet they're already considering the danger and are trying to solve the problem.

Still... to me considering the Wii U's struggle for sales to them opting for 3rd party or discontinuing the Wii U as a whole comes off as somewhat hilarious. It's like saying "ow I felt a little pain on my chest, and react : OMG what if it's a heart-attack, I'm gonna dieee" 

The Wii U's sales did pick up a bit over the holidays as memory serves, even if it has remained sluggish. There was speculation it actually had beat out the Xbox One for a bit but quick research shows me it wasn't as optimistic as hoped, with Nintendo revising its earnings downward accordingly.

They just chose a poor time to release it overall when one of their biggest selling points is being the cheapest. Between Smash Bros. and the fact they now are the cheapest up to date console on the market, I think they'll do a lot better in Q4 this year.

Whenever one fears for Nintendo, remember they are unlikely to ever experience a Dreamcast-esque level of fail. Their brand is far more established and respected. They have considerably more resources. And finally, here's the big one, they're not run by (the decision to repossess the ad revenue from Youtube aside) morons. The Wii U may not be as big as PS4 or XBO but I imagine they'll have gotten by comfortably enough by the time the next gen rolls around.

The Wii U's sales did pick up a bit over the holidays as memory serves, even if it has remained sluggish. There was speculation it actually had beat out the Xbox One for a bit but quick research shows me it wasn't as optimistic as hoped, with Nintendo revising its earnings downward accordingly.

They just chose a poor time to release it overall when one of their biggest selling points is being the cheapest. Between Smash Bros. and the fact they now are the cheapest up to date console on the market, I think they'll do a lot better in Q4 this year.

And dont forget MK8, Hyrule Warriors, and Monolith Soft's X(especialy if it gets a wide release), these 4 will result in BIG numbers, specialy if you throw in the unnanounced games as well, Nintendo has some aces up their sleeves, and it will be interesting to see what happens(and I am gettin X and Hyrule Warriors for sure! and smash duh)

X is not going to get big numbers. It's a niche game on a failing console, and Nintendo is probably not going to advertise it at all. Nothing is going to save the WiiU, it's a huge mess and not much can be done for it. Some sales will trickle in for the first party games that come out every couple of months, but regardless of quality, that's not enough to turn it around now that the systems that the entire rest of the industry is going to focus on are out now.

• Thumbs Up 2

X is not going to get big numbers. It's a niche game on a failing console, and Nintendo is probably not going to advertise it at all.

I think you under-estimate it a bit, first off Xenoblade showed that even with a limited release a solid nintendo game can be a major seller, especialy a special monolith soft title. Second, they showed it off in the nintendo direct, which means they plan to do a wide release, I mean even if it didnt have the most solid advertising, they did release W101 through all their outlets, and that was niche title by a 3rd party, a Major JRPG by one of their own first party studios, with a widespread release, and bueatiful looking gameplay? that is something you should seriously not underestimate, I had a friend looking at the older E3 footage, and he was so impressed he said it was something he would buy the wii-u for, just that game

I would say its a MAJOR wild card, and I would not underestimate it

X is not going to get big numbers. It's a niche game on a failing console, and Nintendo is probably not going to advertise it at all. Nothing is going to save the WiiU, it's a huge mess and not much can be done for it. Some sales will trickle in for the first party games that come out every couple of months, but regardless of quality, that's not enough to turn it around now that the systems that the entire rest of the industry is going to focus on are out now.

PS3 would like a word with you.

I think you under-estimate it a bit, first off Xenoblade showed that even with a limited release a solid nintendo game can be a major seller, especialy a special monolith soft title. Second, they showed it off in the nintendo direct, which means they plan to do a wide release, I mean even if it didnt have the most solid advertising, they did release W101 through all their outlets, and that was niche title by a 3rd party, a Major JRPG by one of their own first party studios, with a widespread release, and bueatiful looking gameplay? that is something you should seriously not underestimate, I had a friend looking at the older E3 footage, and he was so impressed he said it was something he would buy the wii-u for, just that game

I would say its a MAJOR wild card, and I would not underestimate it

While I don't agree with Ekaje on anything else, personally I don't think X will be a big system seller. It may sell well, but that would be to people who already have the system. The system sellers are Zelda, Smash Bros., and Mario Kart (Mario 3D World has helped as well). Hyrule Warriors will sell just because it has the Zelda name on it, then when the next actual Zelda game comes out that'll sell as well.

You know what I'd really dig? An Adventure Mode with a few choice mini-cutscenes. Maybe some moments that have the player do different things depending on the character. I know that may be a bit of a stretch to request considering the norm of Smash Bros, but since Sakurai is such a goofball and the Smash team is so reliant on throwbacks it'd be a pleasant surprise.

I do miss Adventure Mode, though.. Having all those big stages you traversed based loosely on each franchise was just.. I dunno. It was something special. To have them go farther with that in this game would be wonderful and I really hope they do it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Personally I liked the Subspace Emissary, I thought it was fun. I'd like to see something similar come back. The main thing I would also like if they do something similar is to allow us to play as one character throughout the whole thing (maybe throw in optional allies we can switch to at specific points). Considering all the hate SE got though I can't see it hapenning.

Cutscenes are a beautiful thing, though they also can take time to construct if they don't use in-game models. Time spent creating SSE-style cutscenes could probably be used on other aspects of the game.

I did like the idea of a story mode, so even if they had to dumb down the cutscenes for it, I'd want one. It was nice to see some attempt at a plot besides "fight everyone to get to Master Hand."

Shame for no story mode. It'd be interesting to see what they'd cook up with all three icons in it. Ah well though. I guess they can always leave it for a more formal crossover if Nintendo and SEGA ever stop being scared to try something new. tongue.png

It does make me wonder if we'll at least get some unique boss battle models. Eggman, Wily, etc. not appearing as playable makes sense but them appearing as non-playable bosses isn't too insane if they try to blend the more classic Adventure mode with some elements of Subspace Emissary.

Or maybe I'm just rambling...

I know Sakurai's said that he wasn't including a story mode because people put the cutscenes up on the Internet, but that's just such a bizarre overreaction that I can't help but wonder if the real reason is "Nintendo pressured me not to do a story mode because they don't care about plot and want the game finished sooner," which seems fairly probable.  On the other hand, in looking up the quotes I do see the odd claim around that it's more complex if you look at a full translation of the article, but nobody has a full translation so it's hard to tell.  It sounds like there might be an elaborate single-player mode of some kind, it might just be for the 3DS?

I really wish they'd tried again, though.

Admittedly them decided to put it on the handhelds this generation wasnt the greatest idea, they need all the wii-u sales they ccan get, and some people think that because they have the handheld version there is no reason to get the console version, OTHER than multiplayer always being superior on the console version!

I remember that one of Sakurai's very, very early comments - I think this was in the days when the game had been announced but development hadn't actually begun - was to suggest that they might want to do some radically different things between the two versions.  I have a vague idea that he suggested that the handheld version could have a detailed story mode and the console version would focus on multiplayer battling?  Obviously that didn't work out, though, but I still wonder if there's some fairly significant version difference that we don't know about yet, because assuming I didn't imagine this quote then Sakurai knows that differentiation is an issue.

I thought he said that he wanted to do a story mode, but nothing like SE, because of the cutscene thing he wanted to find another reward for the player

Subspace was a bore and I'm glad they're doing away with it. Please have a single player mode that's fun this time

• Thumbs Up 6

Since story mode is not returning I'd like to see an Adventure Mode with different worlds, different paths to take for each character and of course boss battles. And that means boss battles like the ones in SE. 

Uh, it looks to me like Nintendo might be advertising X as the next big JRPG. This isn't like Xenoblade which was released late in the Wii's life and only shipped a couple of thousand (and sold that many btw), this looks like it's going to be a big deal. We can only hope that Nintendo markets the shit out of X.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do worry about X because every time lately Nintendo have said "we'll market aggressively!" I haven't seen jack from them :(

I'd love an Adventure Mode too, like Melee's but a little bigger with more game references. Nothing as pretentious as Subspace is necessary, though the cutscenes were awesome at times.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh my god if they would just make a branching Melee-styled Adventure Mode do four-player coop, oh my lord how good would that be. Plus, it'd save chugging through every single character in that mode, getting four trophies at a time! Please, Sakurai, hear my plea.

• Thumbs Up 6