Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

If Smash Bros. had original characters instead of existing Nintendo characters it would not be near as succesful. If Smash 4 replaced all the existing characters with generic characters with the same movesets there would be outrage from fans of the series. No, I don't give a shit if Bowser plays slightly differently or if it has a load of random characters from games I've never played. Please give me an actual incentive to shell out £40 for this game.

Jesus Christ, nobody has implied replacing the characters with generic characters.

I think the fact Sakurai is taking time to improve old characters as well as add new ones is a testament to the fact that there's plenty of things he's trying to add to this game. I don't understand this mindset that characters is the end all, be all of why you would buy Smash. Sure they are an important part, but you know why people kept playing Melee even when Brawl had new content to offer? Because in the competitive scene, the mechanics were more fluid, fast paced, tighter, hell, even outside of the competitive scene there's a clear line of people who prefer Melee to Brawl to this day.

If the central game mechanics and how they work are less important than the characters appearing in this game, then I'm not sure what you want. It just sounds like you're expecting Quantity over Quality of the game. And if a few new characters is enough for you to throw 40 bucks at the game, what if played like complete ass without you realizing until it was too late? Then what happens?

Feels shallow to me.

If major characters are the only reason you're shelling out for this game. that's fine....Just, y'know, don't run around saying nothing is changing, because clearly the things that are changing are things you aren't paying attention to, and that's fine too. Just don't act like Nintendo's at fault for not cramming 6 clones in for the sake of having more new characters on the roster again. Focusing on the mechanics isn't really a bad thing no matter how you look at it.

I mean, I get the characters are the reason we all got into this series in the first place, but the gameplay is why we stick around, right? Smash Bros isn't considered just another shallow party fighter for a reason.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jesus Christ, nobody has implied replacing the characters with generic characters.

I didn't aay anybody did. They said that anybody who actually cares about the characters that appear in a crossover specifically dedicated to being able to play as your favourite characters is shallow and playing it for all the wrong reasons. If all you see are ones and zeroes and collision meshes and don't care about the characters then good for you, it's your opinion, but plenty others do value these things because they're what gives the game its identity to start with. I'll be buying it day one because I'd like to play a Brawl that isn't bogged down by horrible design decisions and I'm so far pretty hyped for the roster. It offers new characters that I have an emotional attachment to or that offer interesting new movesets. Others don't give a shit about Mega Man or Little Mac or subtle gameplay nuances that only dedicated fans would even notice in the first place.

I didn't aay anybody did. They said that anybody who actually cares about the characters that appear in a crossover specifically dedicated to being able to play as your favourite characters is shallow and playing it for all the wrong reasons. If all you see are ones and zeroes and collision meshes and don't care about the characters then good for you, it's your opinion, but plenty others do value these things because they're what gives the game its identity to start with. I'll be buying it day one because I'd like to play a Brawl that isn't bogged down by horrible design decisions and I'm so far pretty hyped for the roster. It offers new characters that I have an emotional attachment to or that offer interesting new movesets. Others don't give a shit about Mega Man or Little Mac or subtle gameplay nuances that only dedicated fans would even notice in the first place.

See, I don't see anyone saying that either. At most, I've seen some mention that shouldn't be the entire basis of why you decide to buy the game. Now personally I'm not that up in arms about the character roster since I'm pretty sure most of my favorites from previous titles are returning, and there are quite a few dedicated fans for this series if that wasn't clear enough, and even then gameplay changes are still gameplay changes, so they still have an effect on what the end product comes out as, regardless of what the roster looks like.

Like I said, I understand character's being an important part of buying it there should be other factors involved too, and this isn't specifically targeted towards you or anything.

So... this went into a whole argument about specifically characters when I purposely said "who is playable in the game AND OTHER FEATURES"?

Seriously, guys. A lot of people DO care about characters, but its also about the gameplay mechanics and what new features are available in the game. Some people will buy it "just because its Smash," but others will look at it and say: "Hey, I already have Brawl, or I already have Melee, or I already have both. They didn't add any new substantial characters into the new game that I'm interested in. WHY should I buy this game?"

Its about everything: the characters, the game modes, stages, etc. If people don't see a substantial increase in new features or game modes, the only thing they have to base on getting the game is the roster. So far we've really only been learning about characters and stages, plus a few other minor things here and there like the occasional item. We haven't really heard anything at all about Game Modes.

I don't know if we'll learn about all the characters before release, but regardless, we really know nothing except for the new cast and even then we only know of a few new characters so far.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of characters and franchises, we've got our second confirmed Trophy.

2uhwpxs.jpg

Pic of the day. This chubby guy is also Little Mac. Burn that fat!

That Captain Rainbow representation. Bring on the speculation.

On a lesser note, it looks like the background of the Trophy Gallery can be changed again. Sweet.

The thing about "if I can't play as my favourite characters why buy it" is if I could play as MY favourite characters, we'd have Daisy in the roster.  Also ShyGuy and Boo.  Who else... Waddle Dee from Kirby Wii.  Phosphora from Kid Icarus.

My point is all the Nintendo franchises AT LEAST have their main character to play as.  I don't quite understand how obsessed you'd have to be to not buy a game just because a favourite secondary character like, I dunno, Ridley, isn't playable.

I mean you yourself Blitz really wanted Skull Kid playable right?  But surely you can agree it would be ridiculous for you to give up on the entire game because he's not in it right?

I actually didn't buy SC2HD because there was no Wii U port with Link in it, but that game can be seen as shit anyway thanks to the crappy online but yeah.

I can sympathize with not wanting a game if it doesn't feature your favorite character from the game series itself. For example, Skull Kid may be a favorite character to some, but was never truly featured in any Smash games. If Link was your favorite and then in Smash 4 they just dropped him, then I could understand a bit why you might not want the game. Unless, of course, they have another character, maybe even from the same series, who plays exactly the same (remember, this is just an example). Although, I feel as though no one should drop an awesome series like Smash because the absence of one or two characters.

As for the update....Fat Little Mac huh? Didn't even though that was a thing. I wonder if they'll have anything like Melee or Brawl and have a mini-game or gumball machine to help you obtain trophies.

The fact that he didn't reference Captain Rainbow at all actually has me hoping that means he got in. Sure his game was a total flop, but it'd be totally neat to see him playable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still got Tortimer Island on the mind? Well then, POKEMON.

6zq4yf.jpg

Pic of the day. The Prism Tower rises above Lumiose City. Up until a few seconds ago, the fighters were brawling on top of that tower. No, really.

New content's being revealed in full force recently.

Up until a few seconds ago, the fighters were brawling on top of that tower.

Oh for fuck's sake, another tour stage?

A stage is either going to be stationary, or it's going to moving around as a tour stage. There's not really a middle ground.

Rainbow Road 7, Lumiose City, Super Mario 3D Land, and Reset Bomb Forest all appear to be touring stages. As for stationary stages, we have Battlefield, Smash Circuit, Tortimer Island, Arena Ferox, Gerudo Valley, Spirit Tracks, and possibly the Miiverse stage. 4 to 7. I'd prefer more touring stages, honestly.

• Thumbs Up 1

A stage is either going to be stationary, or it's going to moving around as a tour stage. There's not really a middle ground.

Rainbow Road 7, Lumiose City, Super Mario 3D Land, and Reset Bomb Forest all appear to be touring stages. As for stationary stages, we have Battlefield, Smash Circuit, Tortimer Island, Arena Ferox, Gerudo Valley, Spirit Tracks, and possibly the Miiverse stage. 4 to 7. I'd prefer more touring stages, honestly.

I'd not. Tour stages are fairly generic and just take you around an area. I'd rather fight in one area all the time than having a platform come up from under you and constantly move around everywhere. Its just lame. Skyloft being a tour stage, for example, is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion; couldn't they have found a great view to fight from in Skyloft that shows off the rest while still being stationary?

• Thumbs Up 2

The thing about "if I can't play as my favourite characters why buy it" is if I could play as MY favourite characters, we'd have Daisy in the roster.  Also ShyGuy and Boo.  Who else... Waddle Dee from Kirby Wii.  Phosphora from Kid Icarus.

My point is all the Nintendo franchises AT LEAST have their main character to play as.  I don't quite understand how obsessed you'd have to be to not buy a game just because a favourite secondary character like, I dunno, Ridley, isn't playable.

I mean you yourself Blitz really wanted Skull Kid playable right?  But surely you can agree it would be ridiculous for you to give up on the entire game because he's not in it right?

What if your favorite character plays a major role in their series? Like I said before, I'm only buying the game if I can play as Tails. That is literally the only thing I want from this game, and it's hardly unreasonable to expect him as a playable character.

The stage hazard for this stage should be that it causes the players to be unable to move.

And it crashes your Smash game's save file

• Thumbs Up 3

What if your favorite character plays a major role in their series? Like I said before, I'm only buying the game if I can play as Tails. That is literally the only thing I want from this game, and it's hardly unreasonable to expect him as a playable character.

Tails won't be playable, sorry to burst your bubble. Maybe an Assist Trophy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Not to criticise you for having a favourite character, but if the only reason you would buy this game is it having Tails in, and the only reason you'd refuse to buy it is his absence... then I think you've missed the point of the game.  Let the character selection sway your choices if you like, but I think it's a fighting game first and a character showcase second.  If you're a fan of fighting games, I don't see how you can ignore it just for one character, and if you're not interested in fighting games, I don't see why you would buy it just because it has one character you like out of forty or so.  One character who is important to his series but not nearly so much as Sonic.

Let me put it another way.  If, by some improbable chance, it turns out that Tails is playable, I may have to ask you not to get this game - because the game is neither about Tails, nor will it be mostly Tails.  There will be an overwhelming amount of non-Tails content relative to what Tails content there is, and if you don't care about the non-Tails content, you're not likely to find the game very enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'd not. Tour stages are fairly generic and just take you around an area. I'd rather fight in one area all the time than having a platform come up from under you and constantly move around everywhere. Its just lame. Skyloft being a tour stage, for example, is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion; couldn't they have found a great view to fight from in Skyloft that shows off the rest while still being stationary?

Sakurai's comment implies it'll be like Isle Delfino and drop you off at different places in Lumiose.

I personally don't mind tour stages, as long as it doesn't force your character to walk forward (to the right or left) to avoid the blast zone. Tour stages like Delfino plaza I really don't mind (Delfino plaza being one of my favorite stages in Brawl). As long as there's this one consistent platform that for the most part stays stationary and the background moves around it, I'm okay with them.

You saved yourself $60 good sir.

• Thumbs Up 3

...yes it is. We were lucky enough to get Sonic himself playable in the grand scheme of things - just be thankful Tails still has chances of making an assist trophy.

I'm pretty sure it's also already been said too, but speaking as an individual that actually would've preferred Tails over Sonic, unrealistic I realize that is, threatening to boycott the game based on the absence of a single character is the absolute fucking epitome of petty behaviour. Understand first and foremost that this is a game built for a crowd and not an individual - like most good games are - and expecting Sakurai to cater to you alone is unreasonable in of itself.

How is it petty? I already said that playing as Tails is the one thing I've been hoping for ever since Sonic was playable in Brawl. If I can't have that, why buy the game?

Not to criticise you for having a favourite character, but if the only reason you would buy this game is it having Tails in, and the only reason you'd refuse to buy it is his absence... then I think you've missed the point of the game.  Let the character selection sway your choices if you like, but I think it's a fighting game first and a character showcase second.  If you're a fan of fighting games, I don't see how you can ignore it just for one character, and if you're not interested in fighting games, I don't see why you would buy it just because it has one character you like out of forty or so.  One character who is important to his series but not nearly so much as Sonic.

Let me put it another way.  If, by some improbable chance, it turns out that Tails is playable, I may have to ask you not to get this game - because the game is neither about Tails, nor will it be mostly Tails.  There will be an overwhelming amount of non-Tails content relative to what Tails content there is, and if you don't care about the non-Tails content, you're not likely to find the game very enjoyable.

This isn't about how much screentime Tails gets. I just want to play as him, that's all. I've been wanting that for seven years now, so it's kind of important to me.

How is it petty? I already said that playing as Tails is the one thing I've been hoping for ever since Sonic was playable in Brawl. If I can't have that, why buy the game?

This isn't about how much screentime Tails gets. I just want to play as him, that's all. I've been wanting that for seven years now, so it's kind of important to me.

Honestly, you're setting yourself up for disaster. Tails will NEVER be playable and that should be an acceptable fact by now, especially if Sonic is already revealed. We got Sonic in, Nintendo isn't going to favor one 3rd party over another and include 2 playable Sonic characters and 1 Megaman character.

• Thumbs Up 5