Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

It looks like Charizard's Fair and Side Special have been changed to a claw swipe and Flare Blitz. Rock Smash, I can live without, but that cone of fire Charizard used for Fair was something I liked - low damage, no stun at the edge of the move, but wonderful knockback and angle if hit with the beginning of the cone. Shame it's seemingly been changed to a regular claw move that really makes his arm look like it belongs on Ridley, lol.

WUPP_AX_scrnC23_32_Ev04a.bmp-noscale.jpg

Though, that claw move may have autocancel properties, or at least have an animation for when Zard hits ground. ooooooooooor that could be his Jab, lol

WUPP_AX_scrnC23_10_Ev04a.bmp-noscale.jpg

It makes me wonder what else has been changed or replaced. Nair has stayed the same, but we haven't seen what his Uair, Dair, and Bair are. And obviously Down Special has got to change. Maybe Blast Burn to reference the starter-only Hyper Beams, while Greninja's content to embrace his inner ninja?

So its a bad thing when samus is being sexualized? 

Whats wrong with a sexy character? Will people be mad if Bayonetta gets in?

The issue is, I think, that Samus is a character that people have thought of as a well-respected and modest character apparently? I'm not so sure about the controversy, either. 

Actually, scratch that.

It's not that she's sexy, it's that she may be turning into a sex object. Those are two different things. Earlier games gave her sex appeal, but she was still respectable. Other M dumbed her down a lot, apparently. I think that's what the issue is?

• Thumbs Up 6

I think this Samus looks pretty similar to the one in Brawl. The only differences I see is that she looks more stylized and has those high heels. But the high heels, whilst standing out a lot compared to the rest of her design are at least useful and not just stilettos from Other M. They have a function, allowing her to fly and stuff! I don't even know for sure if this is the same Samus from Other M, since her face looks similar to Brawl's (albeit ten times better) and she probably won't be voiced by Jessica Martin though we'll have to find out once the game comes out of course.

So its a bad thing when samus is being sexualized? 

Whats wrong with a sexy character? Will people be mad if Bayonetta gets in?

It's not really exclusively the fact that she's being sexualized so much as it is her tougher amazon image being put aside for sex appeal. 

I kinda don't know how some people aren't seeing what makes this design different. It's not really just the heels, although those are beyond silly. She's given several subtle changes to make her seem more feminine, including a beauty mark, an adjusted figure, and suit coloration that draws attention to these adjustments. The heels I guess are just an easy thing to go after since they pretty obviously favor aesthetics over functionality. Try doing badass space warrior shit in heels. YOU CAN'T EVEN DO IT WITHOUT THEM.

To clarify, I'm not really up in arms about this. I don't dislike the design or anything (I sitll think it looks good) and I'm not trying to pretentiously tell anyone what they should or should not think is offensive. I just think the motive of the design is sorta lame. 

It's not that she's sexy, it's that she may be turning into a sex object. Those are two different things. Earlier games gave her sex appeal, but she was still respectable. Other M dumbed her down a lot, apparently. I think that's what the issue is?

It's this, basically. That was a lot more succinct than what I said. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Say, I just had a thought, we all know how much Sakurai loves Kirby, what if instead of a new character he creates a new class of items that are Kirby's Animal friends from DL2 and 3, and they give a new standard move and affect movement characteristics(better jump, glide, etc) until they receive a certian amount of damage, and any of the 6 of them could show up

Say, I just had a thought, we all know how much Sakurai loves Kirby, what if instead of a new character he creates a new class of items that are Kirby's Animal friends from DL2 and 3, and they give a new standard move and affect movement characteristics(better jump, glide, etc) until they receive a certian amount of damage, and any of the 6 of them could show up

That would be pretty cool, they could work like the assist trophies except unlike just watching them go around and wreck people, you use them to wreck people.

• Thumbs Up 1

The whole "jet boots" argument is missing the point- they could have just as easily made the same case for jet sneakers, jet sandals or just plain strapping rockets to the back of her calves.  The choice to make the jet boots heels is the issue here.  I don't have a problem with the heels in and of themselves- accentuating sexuality of a character isn't inherently sexist.  Bayonetta uses them and they mesh perfectly with her playful personality and flashy fighting style.  Thing is that Samus isn't Bayonetta.  She's almost the opposite- stoic, task-driven and mindful.  Y'know, pretty much the opposite of what heels embody.  They could definitely work if she was more outgoing, but I doubt a spinoff fighting game is going to create enough meaningful character development to justify it.

Clearly what we need is a redesign

Only took 10 hours in MSPaint

Hahaha this made my day! Thanks a lot! :P

Yeah I honestly don't see the problem , Sakurai and the team were faithful with Other M's ZSS. And her face looks much better than the Brawl model. In fact I think while slightly funny, the jet boots are a great addition, and it makes sense with those giant leaps, it only makes sense she would propel herself with them.

But what about Raiden using them as well?

On his own I might have felt they looked strange on him personally, but the metal gear universe is kind of weird in general when it comes to what the mechanical designs stand on.

A100924-analyse-demo-mgs-rising-03.jpgGekko.jpgMGS2_RAY2.png

This is probably the only time im going to post on this but how the heck are jet heels, JET HEELS, that are in no way even the slightest bit  hot or anything but just made to look cool even remotely close to sexualizing a character? Seriously am I missing something here cause I am just not seeing it, I don't see whats so different about her face (besides the fact that it actually has expression now), I don't see how her suit is any worse now when its basically the same but with a bit more emphasized blue on in a couple of areas (which to me actually does look better but different strokes for different folks I guess), and I don't see how giving her a mole is sexualizing when I can barely even see the thing on her face, in fact I never even noticed it until someone brought it up and I had to look intently at the picture at and even then I still hardly see it.

I don't know how the standards for sexualization sudden changed over the course of that direct but I just honestly can't see how any of this is more than what was already done before and yeah, while I may not pay as much attention to metroid since im not that big a fan I honestly don't think this is something to start going up in arms over.

Edit: also this isn't directed at you specifically spiky, its just something thats been really bothering me about this whole debacle.

It's not just the heels, though. The only reason they're the first thing to be brought up is because they're literally glowing yellow and completely unnecessary. 

j5IVXN1D7Lq0M.jpg

Her boobs are bigger than before, she's got dark spots and lines added to the suit to draw your eyes to her tits and ass, an added beauty mark (albeit from Other M) and... high heels. Her movements also look like something I'd expect from Bayonetta. 

Maybe I'm just misremembering, but I don't remember Brawl being as bad about this, or any Metroid game for that matter. Other M was stupid about it too, but it's at least not as bad at a glance. Of course, her character was completely fucked but you get the idea. 

I just don't like the idea of anime uguu mascara sexy samus. Didn't like it before, and I don't like seeing them get progressively worse about it every time she appears. There's more than enough sex appeal in gaming as is, there's just no need to make Samus an addition to the list.

I'm not outraged or whatever, but it's irksome. Metroid's characters and tone are my favorite things about it.

• Thumbs Up 6

Wow. All I focused on is how kick-ass jet heels are. I didn't realize that people were looking at this sexually.

• Thumbs Up 9

Can someone please elaborate on how and why ZSS looked "ugly" in Brawl? I never saw anything wrong with it, and it was really cool that her face looked like an average person instead of 10/10.

It's because she suffered from a horrific case of the uncanny valley in Brawl (not the first time, see the Prime games). She looks far more like a barbie doll (ie, incredibly artificial) than she does here - makeup or not, this version of Samus actually has a face that looks natural and emotive.

It's not just the heels, though. The only reason they're the first thing to be brought up is because they're literally glowing yellow and completely unnecessary. 

Her boobs are bigger than before, she's got dark spots and lines added to the suit to draw your eyes to her tits and ass, an added beauty mark (albeit from Other M) and... high heels. Her movements also look like something I'd expect from Bayonetta. 

Maybe I'm just misremembering, but I don't remember Brawl being as bad about this, or any Metroid game for that matter. Other M was stupid about it too, but it's at least not as bad at a glance. Of course, her character was completely fucked but you get the idea. 

I just don't like the idea of anime uguu mascara sexy samus. Didn't like it before, and I don't like seeing them get progressively worse about it every time she appears. There's more than enough sex appeal in gaming as is, there's just no need to make Samus an addition to the list.

I'm not outraged or whatever, but it's irksome. Metroid's characters and tone are my favorite things about it.

Well, to be honest I barely care about any of those things, in fact, I think half of these are really reaching to find problems with it. And those black lines around her eyes are probably to make the eyes come out more to make them look sharp, Link has this same effect on his eyes, and so does Zelda to an extent. I mean most of this stuff looks like something to look cool, flashy, and awesome compared to practical, like a lot of things in Smash Bros. really. Personally I think the heels look badass and add a contrast to her overall blue outfit.

While her movements are a bit exaggerated, they don't really look like something Samus wouldn't do to get the best possible results from her attacks, as well as her fluidity. I don't really expect a character like Samus to look stiff outside of her suit, considering she can curl up into a ball smaller than our blue hedgehog himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow. All I focused on is how kick-ass jet heels are. I didn't realize that people were looking at this sexually.

I didn't even notice the breast size thing myself until everybody started bringing it up. Also, maybe its because I don't know what mascara is but what exactly is wrong with samus' face compared to before? Its just brightened up (and like a mentioned before a bit more expressive).

Well, to be honest I barely care about any of those things, in fact, I think half of these are really reaching to find problems with it. And those black lines around her eyes are probably to make the eyes come out more to make them look sharp, Link has this same effect on his eyes, and so does Zelda to an extent. I mean most of this stuff looks like something to look cool, flashy, and awesome compared to practical, like a lot of things in Smash Bros. really. Personally I think the heels look badass and add a contrast to her overall blue outfit.

While her movements are a bit exaggerated, they don't really look like something Samus wouldn't do to get the best possible results from her attacks, as well as her fluidity. I don't really expect a character like Samus to look stiff outside of her suit, considering she can curl up into a ball smaller than our blue hedgehog himself.

I don't know what I can tell you other than that these things were readily apparent to me the moment I looked at the screens. Is it not possible to be annoyed at something without apparently trying to find things to dislike?

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess with all that said that'd pretty fair then. I guess with the bigger boobs/ass, beauty mark, darker eyelashes, and whatnot, heels are probably the biggest change/addition that it'd kinda be the running headliner of just her dramatic change in appearance in general. Like you I'm not really fussed over the matter, and not even fussed that people are making a fuss, I guess I just still can't see why the heels specifically were such the big deal, but I guess if the rest of that baggage is to be accounted for, I can totally see why people would be fussy, especially if they're passionate about the tone and atmosphere Samus and the rest of the Metroid series brings.

I guess I just hope that eventually the heels are just seen majorly in the light that I see them on their own, as just being flashy tech gear to give her rocket boosting abilities essentially. Since she came to brawl I always thought she was basically a naked woman covered in blue, but thought the changes in this Smash with the heels made her a little more badass or something. Like she's getting more gear-oriented, true to her powersuit variant *shrugs*.

But yeah not gonna ignore that she's not sexualized, just was kinda lols about the heels of all things being the offense for most haha

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, my ideal Samus would be a bit of a blend of various designs - make her somewhat fit and muscular like Super (but don't overdo it, give her more of an athletic build that shows that she can hand your ass to you even outside the suit), make her a brunette again, and give her Fusion's hairstyle. Keep the Zero Suit, if only to show off her muscles, and it has a somewhat futuristic design that fits nicely with the overall aesthetic better than a bloody bikini.

I don't know what I can tell you other than that these things were readily apparent to me the moment I looked at the screens. Is it not possible to be annoyed at something without apparently trying to find things to dislike?

Sure there's a difference, I suppose the people who care about Samus as a character more would notice more easily compared to others. I for one don't see it as that big a deal, and don't think she looks that different. Wrap it up as another agreement to disagree, I guess.

Might as well throw in my two cents. I don't think the design is bad or problematic on it's own (then again, I can't really notice a difference in breast size from Brawl, and I've been comparing in-game screens since this debate started). HOWEVER, 1) I won't argue with people who do have problems with it because there's no real point in doing so and 2) the outright fanservice in the way certain screenshots are taken does bother me. I don't remember any official Brawl screenshots that did this--though I'm sure it happened--but either way, I think it's worth complaining about.

So I shall.

Seriously, Sakurai/whoever is taking screens, is stuff like the one Discoid included up there necessary? Really?
  • Thumbs Up 5