Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jun/11/multiple-characters-still-be-announced-new-smash-bros-dev-covers-many-changes-returning-fighters/

Could just be the wording, but this article/quote seems to imply that secret characters are confirmed, and that there are a fair few we don't know about.

No, all it says is they have unrevealed characters at E3 right now they only play behind closed doors so as not to spoil anything. Mostlikely, these characters are already known, because it probably consists of what's in the Gematsu leak.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Gematsu leak probably doesn't cover all of the newcomers.

I'm not so sure, because Gematsu leaked charas + important vets = 45, and I still don't think the roster is gonna be higher than that.

Here's my impressions from Nintendo World Store.

First off, if you live in NYC, and haven't played Smash Bros yet, definitley go to the NWS. I've read about people waiting outside in Best Buy for almost two hours, but this barely took one. It was a half an hour wait to play Smash Bros Wii-U, and then another 20 minute wait to play Smash Bros 3DS. Very quick experince compared to what I've heard about others' experiences.

For Wii-U, we played two matches. For the first match we all fought on the Coliseum. An excellent stage, nothing too gimmicky and it didn't feel too cramped or too big. I chose Little Mac and holy shit he is fucking amazing. He was so fast, powerful, small, and strong, I almost felt a little bad for the other players. He's definitely a character I'm going to have alot of fun playing with. My favorite newcomer (besides the Pac) so far. Also one of the players used Megaman and got the final smash. We all couldn't help but grin and laugh when the Megaman team showed up and blasted everyone away.

For the second match, I picked Rosalina (only cause someone else picked Megaman). I was surprised, I didn't expect to have that much fun with her, but she's surprisingly a fun character. She was a little weird at first, but I got used to her enough to kick some ass, lol. 

We fought on the Dr. Wily stage and.......it wasn't very fun. The Yellow Devil was just too much of a hassle to us, and constricted the already small stage. I'm probably going to play that stage with the hazards off. At the end, it was a sudden death match between me and Megaman. He threw a leaf shield at me and I somehow dodged it and practically threw the Luma at him, sending him flying. Almost laughed my ass off. Rosalina's a really good character, but it'll take some time getting used to her and Luma's attacks.

Overall, The Wii-U version was simply great. those four minutes were a hell of a lot of fun, and I can't wait to go back there and play it again later this weekend.

Onto the 3DS version, first off, if you are planning on playing the 3DS version, ask the staff if you can use your earphones/headphones on the game. He said it was okay, and I was able to hear the music and sound effects, where as there was too much noise for me to hear it on the Wii-U version.

I chose Megaman, and while I can understand why some people thought he was too clunky, I didn't have that much of a problem with him. He felt fluid, natuural, got the job done for the most part, and really kicked ass in the battle after Smash Run.

Speaking of which, we couldn't fight against each other, only CPU, that was a tad bit disappointing. You go through Smash Run once, and then fight off in basically a special mode (Giant, Stamina, Fast, etc). I gotta admit two things, One, when Sakurai said that the 3DS's adventure mode was basically "The Great Maze 2.0", I had a lot of doubts. but no, this is actually a lot more fun. It was pretty cool exploring the giant map trying to beat up enemies and collecting power-ups. Which also brings me to my next point

Smash Run is hard. I got my ass kicked by almost every enemy I found, That shit doesn't play around.

The match aftwards was a giant one, basically everyone was giants. We fought on the Pokemon tower stage. It was alright. Too small to have a real competitive fight, but from what I played it was pretty cool.  After that, it was over. The staff asked me if I enjoyed it, if I had any problems, and genuinely seemed to care for my feedback. I told him it was great, but for the others who did have any problems, I hope their messages reach Sakurai.

Oh and some side notes. While waiting in line, I saw Greninja's Final Smash. He basically traps a player and it cuts to a backdrop of the moon, as he teleports around attacking the player. It was alright.

Also the game crashed for other people. Once on the Dr. Wily stage right as it ended, and again for the guy playing the 3DS version next to me. Couldn't help but feel a bit bad for them.

Finally, I took a really shitty pic of the 3DS' demo's menu screen, just cause

pWMdYfj.jpg

TLDR: Smash is hype. Try it out.
  • Thumbs Up 7

Well guys, now that E3's come and gone, all that's left between us and October is waiting.. and the occasional Miiverse update, possibly a Direct closer to launch. Either way, I feel like we have a much better idea of what to expect from the gameplay, and character roster now and I think it's shaping up to be something truly special.

Here's a new n improved prediction list from yours truly;

c8b50f728d505c7fb12ca93b7110c3ad.png

Yeap... 47 characters. I couldn't cut any from here, and I still truly believe Mewtwo will be included (sry). If I had to cap it at 45 and cut two here, I would cut Mewtwo and R.O.B., even though I think they're both super important in terms of popularity and unique moveset respectively. If any of the veterans here get cut, I'll be pretty disappointed. I even had to cut Lucas from here 8(. But.. if the roster ends up looking similar to this, I'll consider it something of a perfect/dream roster, only missing Isaac.

Right now, I'm running with the assumption that the Gematsu leak is true, and I'm also going with the idea that if Toon Link, Lucario and Ike are returning despite their questionable popularity, we'll surely get other unique veterans too, as well as everyone who'd been in both Melee and Brawl. That's what I believe, anyway.

Either way, it's shaping up to be a fantastic roster, even though hearts will be broken in the end, the possibility of character DLC might fix that though. Who knows. Exciting times to be alive and stuff.

What. No Sonic victory poses? ( mostly because I want a gif of it) lol

Also I kinda wanna see all characters that face plants the screen when they get KO'd.

Its nice to see them details.

Honestly? Cut Falco, revamp Ganon and find a spot for K.Rool and/or Takamaru somewhere, and that'd pretty much be my perfect list too. But really, I think all I care about right now is Mewtwo ahahaha

• Thumbs Up 6

Little Mac's victory screen is undeniably the best.

tumblr_n70pqyQ9Wy1rzip2vo2_500.gif

You can feel the True Companions thing Mac and Doc share here. ;~;

Actually, I think that belongs to Fox

tumblr_n72w9mwytp1rtodxxo1_400.gif

Bowser and Rosalina have unique victory fanfares.

Bowser has a metal remix of the stage clear theme from SMB1.

Rosalina has the item get themefrom galaxy 1.

Honestly? Cut Falco, revamp Ganon and find a spot for K.Rool and/or Takamaru somewhere, and that'd pretty much be my perfect list too. But really, I think all I care about right now is Mewtwo ahahaha

Agreed, this would be pleasant for me. I'd kinda like Isaac too.

Oh, and I don't think anyone can say Jigglypuff is a shoe-in anymore because according to Gematsu, last he heard they weren't sure whether to keep Lucas or Ness. Which means characters from the Original 12 are NOT SAFE like everyone seems to think. Jiggly being in the Original 12 is the only thing that keeps her above Mewtwo at this point.

Seeing how the images of Mega Lucario and Charizard X have normal lighting instead of the usual dark hue that other final smashes have, i wonder will they function differently from other transformation based final smashes?

MegaLucarioWiiU.png640px-SSB4_-_Mega_Charizard_X.jpg

Maybe they'll be permanent until the player is knocked out just like in the games.

Seeing how the images of Mega Lucario and Charizard X have normal lighting instead of the usual dark hue that other final smashes have, i wonder will they function differently from other transformation based final smashes?

MegaLucarioWiiU.png640px-SSB4_-_Mega_Charizard_X.jpg

Maybe they'll be permanent until the player is knocked out just like in the games.

The dark thing for final smashes is usually an activation thing. For transform final smashes, the darkness goes away when control returns to the player i.e. the screen doesn't stay dark when Giga Bowser or WarioMan are in play, it's only dark while they're transforming, and returns to normal while they are being controlled.

Very likely the same case here, we haven't seen the screen go dark because we haven't seen an activation yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mega Charizard X does cause a screen light change. It made Mario Galaxy a lot dark bluer in the Greninja trailer, and that picture looks like a darker version of Final Destination in the sky and clouds portion.

No telling about Mega Lucario though yet.

As for the roster...I'm still holding on the off-chance that Robin's in. It's a minute chance, but Gematsu guy did not specifically mention Greninja, and he could have been told "Fire Emblem Awakening protagonist" and he concluded it would be Chrom since he's on the cover and all, although Robin has a greater presence in the game.

I'm not going to get Robin, am I

• Thumbs Up 2

Mega Charizard X does cause a screen light change. It made Mario Galaxy a lot dark bluer in the Greninja trailer, and that picture looks like a darker version of Final Destination in the sky and clouds portion.

No telling about Mega Lucario though yet.

As for the roster...I'm still holding on the off-chance that Robin's in. It's a minute chance, but Gematsu guy did not specifically mention Greninja, and he could have been told "Fire Emblem Awakening protagonist" and he concluded it would be Chrom since he's on the cover and all, although Robin has a greater presence in the game.

I'm not going to get Robin, am I

This is my hope as well. Heck, Id~Purpose is even represented in Arena Ferox and as I've heard, that's really Robin's theme, not Chrom's.

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair, having his theme in the game hasn't necessarily helped Ridley get in. tongue.png

To be fair, having his theme in the game hasn't necessarily helped Ridley get in. tongue.png

Difference is Ridley usually appears regardless.

I played Smash at Best Buy yesterday. Some of the characters take some getting used to like Rosalina and Megaman, but Little Mac's moves felt SO good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, the 3DS version allowed for regular brawl at your best buys?! Crap, mine only had Smash Run! :/

Anyway, speaking of which, Toon Link surprisingly felt very similar to brawl on the 3DS version. Not exactly seeing the problem with the camera on this either. It's probably just me. Hopefully, the thickness and color outlines will help players. I mean obviously the Wii U one is better, but I don't want people assuming this one is crap because of a few little issues.

As this latest Smash approaches, the future of Project M is looking grey. One of the announcers, (Prog specifically) said that there is a lot to talk about tomorrow, vaguely hinting about the mod and Nintendo. This combined with Peachyhime's comment tells me that Nintendo is not going to make many friends with whatever they plan, even if it is legally within their right.