Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Sounds more like a Popeye Punch for some reason. Y'know, the twist-of the fist and 'Blammo!' Knocked dizzy!

which would be kinda interesting considering that DK sort've has those odd ties with Popeye in his first game...

Am I the only who immediately thought "CORKSCREW BLOW" when they saw that?

Anyways, it looks like a good move, and it's nice to have some confirmation as to why you can't use customizations with randoms. Makes sense, too.

More like Enguardenado.

Sounds more like a Popeye Punch for some reason.

Am I the only who immediately thought "CORKSCREW BLOW" when they saw that?

meanwhile I am more thinking

• Thumbs Up 3

Notice how nobody in the pic is actually in a hurt frame? Looks like the tornado part of the punch just pushes people back. That's gotta make it a pretty good anti-recovery option against chars with more horizontal-oriented recoveries... like DK himself actually, ahaha

That reminds me, I wonder if FLUDD ever got a buff.

If not, there's at least the customizable bit to it.

I hope so, though. I never use FLUDD. I still think Mario Tornado was a better down-special.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm far more interested in playing with friends than anyone online so I'll prolly embrace customisations to the full.  If I was interested in playing with randoms though I could see it being a headache having to switch between two different movesets on your fave character.  Damn you muscle memory and all that.

If not, there's at least the customizable bit to it.

I hope so, though. I never use FLUDD. I still think Mario Tornado was a better down-special.

Same. I don't know why they brought back FLUDD since it was pretty useless and I never, EVER used it in Brawl.

Except we know this isn't the case 1) because of the link I posted earlier and 2) because Palutena isn't banned online.

"We've made it so that customization options, including special attacks, will be disabled when you're playing online in With Anyone mode. After all, we have to think about game balance, and it's crucial for anonymous players to be able to use reliable tactics against one another." - Excerpt from today's picture of the day.

He clearly states the reason they aren't allowed online is to keep the game balanced.

I figured that even though Palueneta was heavily based in customization, she'd have a standard moveset that could be used online. 

I just remember, the website also said we were able to equip items.

The same way we do in smash run I guess

Edit: OK its not actually items but more like abilities I guess like move fast or powered up punches. I wonder what other ones they could do.

He clearly states the reason they aren't allowed online is to keep the game balanced.

No he doesn't, he says that players will be unable to customize their moveset while playing online and will be restricted to their default moveset. There's a pretty big difference between these two statements.

No he doesn't, he says that players will be unable to customize their moveset while playing online and will be restricted to their default moveset. There's a pretty big difference between these two statements.

Have you been following our conversation? I don't think you have.

I was talking about Miis. They can only use custom movesets so to keep the gane balanced they aren't allowed online.

Maybe the Miis don't actually have a default moveset?

We don't know quite how you set these characters up yet, so it's possible that Miis are built from scratch, clothing and all. Would explain why they can't be used.

At least we can use the custom move set with friends online.

Its understandable that customization isn't going online because from what I can see these move set are way better than the original special move.

And I'm pretty sure people are gonna find some really cheap combination using the custom move set

At least we can use the custom move set with friends online.

Its understandable that customization isn't going online because from what I can see these move set are way better than the original special move.

And I'm pretty sure people are gonna find some really cheap combination using the custom move set

No, I don't think they are. All the custom moves have a certain advantage over the original move, but they also have a disadvantage as well.

Have you been following our conversation? I don't think you have.

I was talking about Miis. They can only use custom movesets so to keep the gane balanced they aren't allowed online.

Exceapt, as has been pointed out multiple times, Palutena also has completely unique custom movesets and isn't banned in tournaments. If custom movesets was the reason for banning Miis then Palutena would be banned as well. But she isn't.

• Thumbs Up 1

With the sole exception of the Mii Fighters, every playable Smash character is an established character with established qualities, so in a way it makes sense that they would all have default special moves and statistics, with every other option being a variant of or an alternative to those default skills.

HOWEVER.

Miis aren't characters in the same sense.  They don't have established qualities, they exist to be personalized, and I think that ties into why using them is being restricted.  Miis are entirely defined by their customizability and thus every possible variation of them is equally valid.  So while it is entirely possible to force a default set of moves and properties on the Mii Fighters, actually doing so would defeat the point of them.

At least, that's my interpretation.

• Thumbs Up 1

"We've made it so that customization options, including special attacks, will be disabled when you're playing online in With Anyone mode. After all, we have to think about game balance, and it's crucial for anonymous players to be able to use reliable tactics against one another." - Excerpt from today's picture of the day.

If anything this further justifies my point.  Custom moves are banned online for everyone, therefore facilitating the logic that they weren't the reason why Miis were banned, because if Miis were banned due to custom moves everyone should be.

Then there's the point of "Well, Miis custom moves are individual moves as opposed variations of specials" but again, Palutena falls under this category as well as stated on the official site (and her trailer).  She doesn't have variations of her 4 special moves, she has 12 different special moves.

Speaking of banning custom moves online I personally think it's silly.  For Fun mode in itself isn't balanced because of all the random crazy shit going on.  I honestly don't think the custom moves would feel all too out of place amongst random spawning items and random stage hazards.  At least custom moves are a controlled factor.  Heck even in For Glory mode I'm a little on the fence about.  As a member of the competitive community, I'm personally all for custom moves as they have the potential to add a truly fresh and interesting dynamic to the competitive experience assuming nothing is outrageously overpowered or detrimental to the developing meta (you'd be surprised how many other players that have thought about it share similar sentiments).  If anything, custom movesets potentially could help address some balance issues within certain character match-ups.  We'd have to wait and see though.

• Thumbs Up 1

As I clarified a few pages back custom movesets can be turned off completely via a simple toggle option on the character select screen. Sakurai only says that "Miis can't be used in online randoms" and "custom movesets can't be used in online randoms." he does not say "Miis can only be used when custom movesets are turned on" or even imply such a thing.

Miis are probably not useable online because loading their custom models/accessories/sizes/etc quickly across a random worldwide internet connection would be difficult, as well as the "bullying" and "offense" things Sakurai mentioned. With friend games, your Wii U can have already downloaded friend data such as Miis beforehand, with Randoms this isn't possible.

The difference between Smash and Soulcalibur is that Smash is 4 player and has a lot more placement information to be sent across the connection. In many random Soulcalibur online matches I've had in the past, custom characters' appearances sometimes didn't properly appear at all, and SC is a 2-player game with slower movements and (nowadays) slower, more linear combo methods, easier to send through an online connection.

So yeah I think it's a mixture of what Sakurai said and also that generating Mii appearances/models across a net connection may be difficult. Their appearances are a lot more customisable in SSB4 than they are in any other online game they've appeared in.

I do agree that for people who main Mii, they should at the very least make generic Mii default designs playable against Randoms. Maybe they'll implement something like that if there's enough demand for it.

"Third" standard special attack? What was the second?

All custom moves we've seen from DK before this was that tank-ish Headbutt.

Notice how nobody in the pic is actually in a hurt frame? Looks like the tornado part of the punch just pushes people back. That's gotta make it a pretty good anti-recovery option against chars with more horizontal-oriented recoveries... like DK himself actually, ahaha

Shiek actually is in one frame of her flinching animation...because of Luigi.

Exceapt, as has been pointed out multiple times, Palutena also has completely unique custom movesets and isn't banned in tournaments. If custom movesets was the reason for banning Miis then Palutena would be banned as well. But she isn't.

Oh so you haven't been following the conversation. I already addressed this. Palutena isn't banned, but she is if you change her moveset.

If anything this further justifies my point.

Custom moves are banned online for everyone, therefore facilitating the logic that they weren't the reason why Miis were banned, because if Miis were banned due to custom moves everyone should be.

Then there's the point of "Well, Miis custom moves are individual moves as opposed variations of specials" but again, Palutena falls under this category as well as stated on the official site (and her trailer).  She doesn't have variations of her 4 special moves, she has 12 different special moves.

Speaking of banning custom moves online I personally think it's silly.  For Fun mode in itself isn't balanced because of all the random crazy shit going on.  I honestly don't think the custom moves would feel all too out of place amongst random spawning items and random stage hazards.  At least custom moves are a controlled factor.  Heck even in For Glory mode I'm a little on the fence about.  As a member of the competitive community, I'm personally all for custom moves as they have the potential to add a truly fresh and interesting dynamic to the competitive experience assuming nothing is outrageously overpowered or detrimental to the developing meta (you'd be surprised how many other players that have thought about it share similar sentiments).  If anything, custom movesets potentially could help address some balance issues within certain character match-ups.  We'd have to wait and see though.

I was under the impression there was no default moveset for the Miis, and that choosing a Mii prompted customization. This hasn't been said it was just the impression I was given.

I still don't believe the copyright claim has any merit, and if bullying were an issue Miis wouldn't be in Mario Kart 8.

In any case I am tired of trying to type with this shitty touch screen, so I'm going to be finished with this discussion.

Oh so you haven't been following the conversation. I already addressed this. Palutena isn't banned, but she is if you change her moveset.

You're completely missing the point here. Palutena is in the exact same situation as the Miis are since they both have completely unique special moves instead of variations on the same move. The custom movesets aren't the reason for Miis being abnend online because Palutena would be banned as well in that case. There is no reason the Miis can't have a "default" moveset just like all the other characters do, including Palutena. There is no difference between the two characters. I seriously cannot stress this in any simpler terms.

The fact of the matter is that Nintendo doesn't want a bunch of Hitler vs Penis-Face matches. Nothing more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shiek actually is in one frame of her flinching animation...because of Luigi.

I kinda thought it was her airdodge animation at first actually, but even if I'm right I'm sure that's just splitting hairs. =V

The fact of the matter is that Nintendo doesn't want a bunch of Hitler vs Penis-Face matches. Nothing more.

Hitler and Penis-Face Kart is okay though.