Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Woah, Rayman is cool, but I never expected him to get in.

Now that we're getting third party trophies of characters that don't have series representation, I wonder who else we'll get. Bayonetta seems like a shoe-in. Snake does, too. Layton has to be in now. Maybe Vanessa Schneider? Or Leon from Resident Evil?

Oh, and now that they have a 3D model, make a new 3D Rayman game :U

Woah, Rayman is cool, but I never expected him to get in.

Now that we're getting third party trophies of characters that don't have series representation, I wonder who else we'll get. Bayonetta seems like a shoe-in. Snake does, too. Layton has to be in now. Maybe Vanessa Schneider? Or Leon from Resident Evil?

Oh, and now that they have a 3D model, make a new 3D Rayman game :U

Definitely Professor Layton and perhaps representatives from other Nintendo-based third-party franchises of existing guest third-parties. I'd be surprised if we didn't get trophies from other Sega, Namco, and Capcom franchises at this point.

Oh man. Rayman?!  That was extremely left field!

What if Sakurai is revealing a whole mess of characters both new and old? You know how he likes to troll people.

Yeah I do remember it, what was the other content of that rumour again? :v Might be worth having another look at now actually.

Here:

To be completely honest with you, I din’t know a better place to post this. This place seems like a nice, roomy place to visit for smash players, and I don’t want to go for blow and post this on GameFAQs or Neoseeker. Now, before you leave a nasty reply or something, read this throughly. I have some information on the Smash games.

This information comes from a past email I wrote to Nintendo of America. I asked about 4 characters, which were Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Palutena. I asked for whereabouts and if they were playable. My response was from Kevin Anderson, a fine gentleman. He said the natural: In that the final lineups are not available yet. However, he did say he will document these files and share them with other departments at Nintendo.

Earlier this week, I got an email. The man’s screen name was Ronolab. He said he also worked at Nintendo, and he was one of the people who received the files of my email. He said a few things about not only the 4 character’s being somewhere, but about the other characters said to appear on the roster.

Ridley: He, unfortunately, is the stage boss of Pyrosphere. His attacks will include striking the opponent with his tail, as well as the Plasma Breath ability. The entire body is a hotbox, unlike the Yellow Devil, but hitting him in the mouth when and after he uses the Plasma Breath will do a tad bit more damage.

King K. Rool: Ronolab stated King K. Rool as an Assist Trophy that could be unlocked by clearing Classic Mode, which was returning, with both Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. King K. Rool’s attacks are similar to how Saki had many abilities, but the ones he knows of include the crown toss, and firing cannonballs from the blunderbuss.

Mewtwo: The man said he was a returning character, in that he is not only requested by a solidified amount in the Japanese, but like he did with Little Mac, to please the western audience. Mewtwo has a slightly revamped moveset. His attacks returning from Melee include the Shadow Ball and Shadow Claw, but Aura Sphere would appear as his side special, and function similar to Crash Bomber in Mega Man’s arsenal.

Returning Fighters: Ronolab did not leak too much information on Returning Characters. He did reveal Jigglypuff was returning, and that one of her customizable moves includes a wider hotbox for rest, but much, much less damage. Game & Watch was also returning, and that his design from the Pac-Man trailer would be the final design for him in game. Ronolab said this would making a slight bit harder to hit for such a light character to balance it out. The final thing he said was Snake was gone, but a trophy of him would remain in the game.

Newcomers: Here is the big one. Ronolab leaked a total of 7 newcomers, and a tad bit about each of them. The first newcomer was Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Chrom would have a completely different move set from the other 2 charactes in the game, and that the only 2 moves he would keep was the chargeable Neutral Special, and the counter. He backed this to some extent with a Side Special: Dual Strike, and that it would with,well, 2 hits, each doing similar amounts of percentage. The second was Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles. He would move similar to Ike and Link, in a sort of medium-slow manner. His Monaldo would be able to unleash powerful sword and magic attacks as well. The 3rd was one I did not expect: Karate Joe from the Rhythm Heaven series. He was selected of all of the plausible candidates because he seemed like he would fit best, being a fighter. The attack he said would be his Neutral Special, was the bomb, and that it would act a lot like the Burst Grenade. The 4th was Takamaru. His inclusion would represent the east well and due to the fact the game was recently released via Virtual Console, but only to Europe. His attacks include swinging his sword for generic standard abilities, but he could also throw knives and use the Tanooki in some way. The 5th was Dark Pit. He revealed that his trailer would be some of a continuation of the Palutena trailer, which would involve him dueling with her and plausibly Pit. His attacks would not be a clone though. His Silver Bow is completely different from Pits other than the fact it shoots arrows of solidified energy, but travels slower and has KO ability. He would also use the weapons from his battles in Uprising, such as the Dark Pit staff and Ogre Club. The 6th was The Bandanna Wearing Waddle Dee, or Bandanna Dee, from the Kirby series. His attacks include the obvious Spear Copter and stabbing multiple times, and he would be a sort of Glass Cannon. The 7th and final one was a choice I could not take seriously. The Mach Rider, seemingly, would be getting a reboot on the Wii U, titled Mach Rider U, simply, and he would join the game because of it. He would have a strange mechanic, in that he would pull out the bike for some attacks, such as the lasers. Off bike he would be a fast character who would rack up damage.

Now, I know this leak is credible to some extent, but take it with a grain of salt. I hold no credibility, but Ronolab could be correct. Gematsu was though. But let’s wait

EDIT: LOL, my brain. This was after E3, I guess. Don't know why I remember reading this way earlier this year.

Here:

To be completely honest with you, I din’t know a better place to post this. This place seems like a nice, roomy place to visit for smash players, and I don’t want to go for blow and post this on GameFAQs or Neoseeker. Now, before you leave a nasty reply or something, read this throughly. I have some information on the Smash games.

This information comes from a past email I wrote to Nintendo of America. I asked about 4 characters, which were Ridley, King K. Rool, Mewtwo, and Palutena. I asked for whereabouts and if they were playable. My response was from Kevin Anderson, a fine gentleman. He said the natural: In that the final lineups are not available yet. However, he did say he will document these files and share them with other departments at Nintendo.

Earlier this week, I got an email. The man’s screen name was Ronolab. He said he also worked at Nintendo, and he was one of the people who received the files of my email. He said a few things about not only the 4 character’s being somewhere, but about the other characters said to appear on the roster.

Ridley: He, unfortunately, is the stage boss of Pyrosphere. His attacks will include striking the opponent with his tail, as well as the Plasma Breath ability. The entire body is a hotbox, unlike the Yellow Devil, but hitting him in the mouth when and after he uses the Plasma Breath will do a tad bit more damage.

King K. Rool: Ronolab stated King K. Rool as an Assist Trophy that could be unlocked by clearing Classic Mode, which was returning, with both Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. King K. Rool’s attacks are similar to how Saki had many abilities, but the ones he knows of include the crown toss, and firing cannonballs from the blunderbuss.

Mewtwo: The man said he was a returning character, in that he is not only requested by a solidified amount in the Japanese, but like he did with Little Mac, to please the western audience. Mewtwo has a slightly revamped moveset. His attacks returning from Melee include the Shadow Ball and Shadow Claw, but Aura Sphere would appear as his side special, and function similar to Crash Bomber in Mega Man’s arsenal.

Returning Fighters: Ronolab did not leak too much information on Returning Characters. He did reveal Jigglypuff was returning, and that one of her customizable moves includes a wider hotbox for rest, but much, much less damage. Game & Watch was also returning, and that his design from the Pac-Man trailer would be the final design for him in game. Ronolab said this would making a slight bit harder to hit for such a light character to balance it out. The final thing he said was Snake was gone, but a trophy of him would remain in the game.

Newcomers: Here is the big one. Ronolab leaked a total of 7 newcomers, and a tad bit about each of them. The first newcomer was Chrom from Fire Emblem: Awakening. Chrom would have a completely different move set from the other 2 charactes in the game, and that the only 2 moves he would keep was the chargeable Neutral Special, and the counter. He backed this to some extent with a Side Special: Dual Strike, and that it would with,well, 2 hits, each doing similar amounts of percentage. The second was Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles. He would move similar to Ike and Link, in a sort of medium-slow manner. His Monaldo would be able to unleash powerful sword and magic attacks as well. The 3rd was one I did not expect: Karate Joe from the Rhythm Heaven series. He was selected of all of the plausible candidates because he seemed like he would fit best, being a fighter. The attack he said would be his Neutral Special, was the bomb, and that it would act a lot like the Burst Grenade. The 4th was Takamaru. His inclusion would represent the east well and due to the fact the game was recently released via Virtual Console, but only to Europe. His attacks include swinging his sword for generic standard abilities, but he could also throw knives and use the Tanooki in some way. The 5th was Dark Pit. He revealed that his trailer would be some of a continuation of the Palutena trailer, which would involve him dueling with her and plausibly Pit. His attacks would not be a clone though. His Silver Bow is completely different from Pits other than the fact it shoots arrows of solidified energy, but travels slower and has KO ability. He would also use the weapons from his battles in Uprising, such as the Dark Pit staff and Ogre Club. The 6th was The Bandanna Wearing Waddle Dee, or Bandanna Dee, from the Kirby series. His attacks include the obvious Spear Copter and stabbing multiple times, and he would be a sort of Glass Cannon. The 7th and final one was a choice I could not take seriously. The Mach Rider, seemingly, would be getting a reboot on the Wii U, titled Mach Rider U, simply, and he would join the game because of it. He would have a strange mechanic, in that he would pull out the bike for some attacks, such as the lasers. Off bike he would be a fast character who would rack up damage.

Now, I know this leak is credible to some extent, but take it with a grain of salt. I hold no credibility, but Ronolab could be correct. Gematsu was though. But let’s wait

Not sure when this came about, but I'm sure it was before E3. I really doubt that this is real, but what he said about Dark Pit caught my attention:

The bolded part would make a lot of sense considering what happened at the end of Palutena's reveal. If it does end up happening I'm sure it was just a lucky guess, but I know I would have never thought that Dark Pit would show up in her trailer like he did.

Don't buy the leak at all. Three KI reps and no new DK reps at all is ridiculous. And Dark Pit being a separate playable character? Also BS, Dark Pit will be a character skin of Pit. I could see Karate Joe instead of the Rhythm Kids.

So with the new character reveal later, I'm sure Sakurai has just given us a boring pic of the day so as not to steal any spotlight...

*sees Rayman trophy*

WHAT IN THE NAME OF-?!

*spits out drink*

This is just insane. And while it's definitely a welcome and cool addition, it just raises so many new questions and puts so many other things into doubt. Will we be getting loads of third party characters in non-playable form? Will Rayman (or another Ubisoft franchise) be represented on the roster now? And indeed, is Shulk still the bookies' favourite for today's reveal?!

Part of me thinks Sakurai was going to keep this trophy reveal under wraps a bit longer but, having caught wind that most people on the internet are aware of Shulk's possibe/probable announcement, he's done this to throw it all back into question again, even if only for a few hours.

But yeah. Anything could happen now. Expect the unexpected.

Unless it's Shulk, of course :P

• Thumbs Up 2

In all honesty, I thought the character reveal would REPLACE the Pic of the Day. I didn't think we'd have a separate Pic of the Day.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty sure the rumour was after E3, because it mentions Palutena's trailer as if it had already happened and when I first saw the rumour I remember being completely unsurprised about the Dark Pit/Palutena connection.

Either way I still don't buy it, even if it's right about Snake being a trophy, that would just be a lucky guess.

One thing that is sure after today's pic of the Rayman trophy is that, once again, we just can't seem to accurately "predict" Sakurai's style or behaviour with Smash accurately, because he always goes above and beyond what is expected. And I think we must bow down and appreciate that such a god of game development is working on a hypefest game like Smash Bros. God bless you Sakurai. And your trolly ways. And it also goes to show that even if we do know all the Newcomers.. this game is still stuffed with surprises, probably more than none of us would see coming.

I'm pretty sure the rumour was after E3, because it mentions Palutena's trailer as if it had already happened and when I first saw the rumour I remember being completely unsurprised about the Dark Pit/Palutena connection.

Either way I still don't buy it, even if it's right about Snake being a trophy, that would just be a lucky guess.

One thing that is sure after today's pic of the Rayman trophy is that, once again, we just can't seem to accurately "predict" Sakurai's style or behaviour with Smash accurately, because he always goes above and beyond what is expected. And I think we must bow down and appreciate that such a god of game development is working on a hypefest game like Smash Bros. God bless you Sakurai. And your trolly ways. And it also goes to show that even if we do know all the Newcomers.. this game is still stuffed with surprises, probably more than none of us would see coming.

Yes, it was after E3, that I'm aware of. The whole thing is a big middle finger to the DK franchise and I don't buy it for one second. I could buy Kid Icarus getting a third rep. I could potentially buy Kirby getting a fourth, and I could buy both happening.

But I can't buy ANY of that without DK getting another rep whatsoever.

Either way I still don't buy it, even if it's right about Snake being a trophy, that would just be a lucky guess..

Yeah, my bad, haha. Like I said in my edit, I remembered reading it sometime earlier this year when people were making "leaks" like crazy. I go on SmashBoards a lot and people like to talk about rumors there, so maybe it's just incredibly similar to another "leak" and I got it mixed up? I dunno.

Oi, woke up so early so I've gotta see a boring PotD while I wait for the challenger vi--

OH MY GOSH RAYMAN MY CHILDHOOD HNNNNNNNNGH <3

I wanna see more 3rd party trophies. :DDDDDDD

Yes, it was after E3, that I'm aware of. The whole thing is a big middle finger to the DK franchise and I don't buy it for one second. I could buy Kid Icarus getting a third rep. I could potentially buy Kirby getting a fourth, and I could buy both happening.

But I can't buy ANY of that without DK getting another rep whatsoever.

Kid Icarus and Kirby are Sakurai's babies while Donkey Kong has continually gotten the shaft, is it really so unlikely?

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/45674/donkey-kong-country-returns/

Yes. (VGChartz isn't the most accurate, but 6m sales is a known figure.)

Those are some cool numbers but what do they actually have to do with anything. Characters get in based on Sakurai's criteria. If he doesn't think they deserve to be in the game then oh well, looks like Nintendo's fourth-largest franchise is getting the shaft once again. It's not like there isn't precedent for it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Those are some cool numbers but what do they actually have to do with anything. Characters get in based on Sakurai's criteria. If he doesn't think they deserve to be in the game then oh well, looks like Nintendo's fourth-largest franchise is getting the shaft once again. It's not like there isn't precedent for it.

Characters are based on popularity for the most part, with a few characters getting in based on Sakurai's criteria. Not one of the "Sakurai characters" added so far weren't already highly requested anyway. Pit was added because he was highly requested long before Brawl, then Sakurai ended up doing the Kid Icarus revival (which in early development was originally going to be a new Star Fox game before they settled on a KI revival).

Awakening was also highly popular and requested, and although Rhythm Heaven wasn't highly requested, it IS highly popular. Wii Fit and Animal Crossing both were also highly popular. Little Mac got in only because of popularity.

Frankly, if that leak comes true... I just won't buy the game. I'll be too damn pissed off to care. That's by far the worst fake leak I have ever seen, worse than even the Gematsu leak (at least the Gematsu leak only added Palutena). Not that I buy the leak anyway, but still.

If the Gematsu leak is all we're getting (I doubt it), I'll still buy the game. But that leak mentioned above would just get me too pissed off at Sakurai as it would be a complete and total blatant middle finger to the DK franchise.

This character reveal that's upcoming, I'm pretty certain it's not Rayman. They will not post a Rayman trophy on their site with the reveal video that's going live in hours. That's ruining the surprise, and spoiling it.

And as what we go from Brawl, there are no trophies based on third-party characters without a character from that franchise being represented in the game. So I'm assuming this announced fighter is from the Rayman series.

And which spinoff from the Rayman series has sold over millions of copies on Nintendo platforms?

rayman-raving-rabbids_art_91.jpg

However there's always a first in everything...

This character reveal that's upcoming, I'm pretty certain it's not Rayman. They will not post a Rayman trophy on their site with the reveal video that's going live in hours. That's ruining the surprise, and spoiling it.

And as what we go from Brawl, there are no trophies based on third-party characters without a character from that franchise being represented in the game. So I'm assuming this announced fighter is from the Rayman series.

And which spinoff from the Rayman series has sold over millions of copies on Nintendo platforms?

rayman-raving-rabbids_art_91.jpg

However there's always a first in everything...

Rayman is the only plausible Ubisoft rep. No, sorry, I don't think we're getting anyone from Ubisoft without Rayman. Yes, its true than in BRAWL no unrepresented third-party characters were trophies, but this isn't Brawl. The answer is simple:

Sakurai decided to try something new. That's really it. There's no way the Rabbids will get in over Rayman. The Rabbids are dead now anyway, they were extremely popular but were milked to death and now Rayman is back just the way it should be.

Screw Jimmy Neutron. We need Wreck It Ralph playable in this game.

Considering the fact that Wreck-It-Ralph isn't even actually a game character, that's not happening either. (Although he's certainly a better pick than ****ing Jimmy Neutron. I didn't mind the series, but that's one of the stupidest suggestions for Smash Bros. I've ever heard.)

Rayman is the only plausible Ubisoft rep. No, sorry, I don't think we're getting anyone from Ubisoft without Rayman. Yes, its true than in BRAWL no unrepresented third-party characters were trophies, but this isn't Brawl. The answer is simple:

Sakurai decided to try something new. That's really it. There's no way the Rabbids will get in over Rayman. The Rabbids are dead now anyway, they were extremely popular but were milked to death and now Rayman is back just the way it should be.

I disagree. Practically, anyone that plays video games must know Rabbids. They are more popular then you think they are.

Rayman should be first before Rabbids I agree. But you just said 'Sakurai decided to try something new'. Isn't this new? Putting one of Ubisoft's iconic reps on the sidelines to make room for Rabbids? Isn't that a twist itself?

And lol, Rabbids are far from dead. You do realize they have their own TV show that's airing on Nick right now? You do know they have a film coming out?

As for other 3rd party trophies, I think Bayonetta, Professor Layton, Shantae, Phoenix Wright, Flynn, and Snake are the ones with the best chance. Bayonetta's got a game coming up, Layton, Shantae, and Wright have had consistent Nintendo releases, Flynn because SMTIV was the surprise but welcome 3rd party game acquisition for the 3DS, plus he can hype up SMTxFE, and Snake because veteran status.

Now I'm curious if there will be 3rd Party MUSIC. I could use some VR Battle music in my Smash life.

It would suck if there were no new DK characters, but I think DK series has one of the best chances of getting one or more DLC characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rabbids would piss me so off :U They already wasted space in TMNT Smash Up, they don't have to do it again here.

Would love to see some of the third party trophies suggested here.  Actually would a Wreck-It Ralph trophy be completely out of the question?  I know he's not a game character but would be a neat way to return the favour for Bowser and the various other Nintendo cameos in the film.

Except that we had Sonic as a playable. The only third-party AT's in Brawl were from existing third-party franchises

What about Saki from Sin & Punishment?  Not sure what Nintendo's ownership of him is.  Nintendo certainly published the two games but that was all Treasure's work.

Would love to see some of the third party trophies suggested here.  Actually would a Wreck-It Ralph trophy be completely out of the question?  I know he's not a game character but would be a neat way to return the favour for Bowser and the various other Nintendo cameos in the film.

What about Saki from Sin & Punishment?  Not sure what Nintendo's ownership of him is.  Nintendo certainly published the two games but that was all Treasure's work.

Nintendo owns Sin & Punishment as well.