Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Wait, Sonic CAN move when charging the Spin Dash? Wow, I'm a Sonic main yet I never noticed that.

my profile pic would be a great taunt for Sonic 560683642.png

but this would be a better taunt

sonic_says_by_hafu_inuyasha-d32lk9d.jpg THE FINGAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH

Even if I cram in as many fighters as I can, there are some people who are focused on the few who didn’t make it back. Among them are the Ice Climbers, who were playable during development on the Wii U. However, moving the two as a pair required significant processing power. The 3DS was already being pushed to its limit, and I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried, so I gave up on them. The other fighters had to be whittled and pared down until I could get them to work, so it was simply unavoidable.

I couldn’t get them to work no matter how hard I tried: I removed as many joints as I possibly could, and even when I removed certain effects, like gravity, they still wouldn’t work. Olimar and his Pikmin were also extremely difficult, but I managed to at least get them to work.

The actual quote for people too lazy to click.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh well. As a Melee/Brawl Ice Climbers player, it sucks. I still don't regret buying the 3DS version over the WiiU one, but it kinda stinks.

Better luck next Smash, I suppose? Maybe?

I still have Brawl.

I figured at first that the Climbers could work if Nana only appeared during Popo's attacks to work around resource-hogging pathfinding, but holy shit if even turning off gravity strained the system then I really don't know what to think.

It's surprising to hear that scrapping transforming characters was due to 3DS limitations too, though. Smash 4 was pretty much all the better for it so I felt so sure it was a concious design decision from the start.

A lot of people were really hoping they could get them to work somehow, but this is the final nail in the coffin for those two. I figured as much, but R.I.P Ice Climbers. I wonder how Smashboards is taking this. 

It's surprising to hear that scrapping transforming characters was due to 3DS limitations too, though. Smash 4 was pretty much all the better for it so I felt so sure it was a concious design decision from the start.

I'm 90% sure he confirmed this before, although I don't know when. It did turn out for the better in most cases, although we lost Pokemon Trainer in the process. I never really liked the transforming character idea, although I think if they had the option, they might have been able to make it work well for another fighter.

A lot of people were really hoping they could get them to work somehow, but this is the final nail in the coffin for those two. I figured as much, but R.I.P Ice Climbers. I wonder how Smashboards is taking this. 

I'm 90% sure he confirmed this before, although I don't know when. It did turn out for the better in most cases, although we lost Pokemon Trainer in the process. I never really liked the transforming character idea, although I think if they had the option, they might have been able to make it work well for another fighter.

I posted this on a different forum last year. (I for whatever reason can't copy the whole thing so I'll have to edit this)

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS contain a few “clone characters” like previous entries in the series. In his latest Famitsu column, director Masahiro Sakurai explains how they were decided.

Sakurai started out with the following:

"There are 3 fighters [Lucina, Dark Pit, and Doctor Mario] that are alternate models (clones) in the game. Each was originally a color variation, but during development, they were given balanced characteristics. Since their functionality had differences, forms were separated from each other. However, it was vital that this didn’t increase the required man-hours. Some relative tuning was sufficient as it wasn’t necessary to create balancing from scratch."

Sakurai goes on to say that Lucina and Marth have different sword properties. While Dark Pit and Pit are the same, making Dark Pit a separate character was required in order to give him “his unique arm and Final Smash”. And as far as Dr. Mario is concerned, the team felt “old Dr. Mario fans would not agree to Dr. Mario being the same as Mario, so we went on to give him a unique customizable set.”

Sakurai next draws an interesting – if not a bit strange – analogy between eating out at restaurants and the clone characters in Smash Bros.:

"This is like a free dessert after a luxurious meal that was prepared free of charge. In a restaurant with this type of service, I don’t think there’s anybody who would say, “Change this to a meat dish!!”

Yet, I’m told [to do that] about Smash Bros. But, I guess since a lot of them are children, it cannot be helped."

Lastly, Sakurai ends his response with the following:

"Could you please leave it to me to select [characters] with man-hours and costs in mind? However you look at it, the game is a great bargain buy as a result."

"But yet they can have Rosalina and Luma and Olimar and his Pikmin" thats pretty much the response everybody is going to make. Oh well it sucks that there not in the game I think they're the most unique characters in smash and 8 player smash would of been fun to play with.

"But yet they can have Rosalina and Luma and Olimar and his Pikmin"

I know you're just quoting someone else, but Sakurai said Olimar was almost cut as well.

Eh, I hope this doesn't ruin the chance for the character I voted on the ballot.

Who'd you vote for, if you don't mind my asking?

Honestly, I haven't voted yet. I don't know why. Guess I was procrastinating.

I should vote for Rayman though.

I had a bunch of bots vote for classic Sonic

Not telling people who they should vote for, but this is just dumb. Don't use bots, people. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I voted for

Lilac

lilac___art_by_feliciaval_by_spacemanstr

I don't see why Lilac wouldn't make it in. Freedom Planet is a console exclusive to Nintendo and all that jazz.

Not telling people who they should vote for, but this is just dumb. Don't use bots, people. 

what? he could have a unique moveset. Recovery could be Tails carrying him. Side-B could be a spin dash that you can't change direction with. down special could be a counter where you spew rings and the rings hit your opponent and then you could pick them up for health

what? he could have a unique moveset. Recovery could be Tails carrying him. Side-B could be a spin dash that you can't change direction with. down special could be a counter where you spew rings and the rings hit your opponent and then you could pick them up for health

I think he was referring to the usage of bots, not the character you chose.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think he was referring to the usage of bots, not the character you chose.

oh... well... does the fact that the bots were my amiibo change anything?

What the fuck are you talking about?

Amiibos being bots to vote for a Smash Ballot??

• Thumbs Up 3