Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Tourney and Tournament are two different things. One of them's the same as in Melee and Brawl, the other's like those MK8 tournament community things.

So you're saying the one that is like Brawl/Melee's is still playable offline? Because I've downloaded the update and still can't find it..

So you're saying the one that is like Brawl/Melee's is still playable offline? Because I've downloaded the update and still can't find it..

That's what I thought but I was wrong, both are online. Sorry about that.

Fun to play Peach's Castle and Hyrule Castle again, and the new Mario 64 remix is awesome but... much like Gourmet Race (Melee) being somewhat of a nail in a coffin for Fountain of Dreams' appearance, Ground Theme (Super Mario Bros. 2) I guess writes off Mushroom Kingdom II appearing.  Blegh. =C

Turns out King K. Rool was in the game's files and we found some important footage. Just check out how overpowered his forward smash is.

• Thumbs Up 4

Turns out King K. Rool was in the game's files and we found some important footage. Just check out how overpowered hs forward smash is.

What the fuck did I just watch

0/10 too much Lonk

Wait, you guys, K.Rool actually is in smash

CnpRoOG.jpg

Not really of course, this is just a fan recreation of what a K.Rool model based off of the mii outfit might look like

• Thumbs Up 1

Wait, you guys, K.Rool actually is in smash

CnpRoOG.jpg

Hidden Content

Wow, coulda fooled me

• Thumbs Up 1

Funnily enough even though I don't give two shits about K.Rool I would still purchase him, just because I want the complete roster of characters and stages regardless of what they end up being.  I'd play as him twice to clear Classic and All-Star and after that I'd only be enjoying him as an opponent.

• Thumbs Up 5

Funnily enough even though I don't give two shits about K.Rool I would still purchase him, just because I want the complete roster of characters and stages regardless of what they end up being.  I'd play as him twice to clear Classic and All-Star and after that I'd only be enjoying him as an opponent.

But what uf you find yourself liking his playstyle(hypothetically)

But what uf you find yourself liking his playstyle(hypothetically)

I'm assuming he's be a slow, heavy hitter type. Those usually aren't the characters I choose, so...yeah. 

I mean I don't have violent reactions to the idea, but I'd still rather have a bunch of other characters before him. I just don't care for the guy, and he design wise, puts me off.

This was a nice patch and all. I'm really glad Hyrule Castle and Peach's Castle are back.

But I just can't stop thinking about my boy Isaac. I hope he comes through...

Isaac_lSword_CastFront2.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

So apparently if your opponent is really laggy in tourneys, you're forced to lose due to time outs.

Why should I be the one getting the boot when the lagging player should be the one getting kicked?

Tourneys is a complete mess, I do hope they fix this up, because this is ridiculous.

Edited by Xenn

I don't usually say this, but that's actually a pretty good looking mockup. 

Tangentially related, I feel like people are far too dismissive about characters in this game. K. Rool's a good example of this. He's got a ton of fans, but people who don't like him often have totally violent reactions whenever he's brought up. I didn't vote for him, but I don't get the hate. It's not just him, either, since his fans do it to with other characters. They can't elevate the ones they like without putting down somebody else's with totally ridiculous and inconsistent reasoning. "X is too recent" or "Y isn't good enough" or "Z wouldn't even work."

The especially pathetic thing is that most of them only think they won't like these characters but would lap it up and fork over 4-5 bucks just to play as them, if only to validate their complaining. 

Well, it is true that a lot of K. Rool fans dislike certain other characters, but not everyone does. There's a ton of K. Rool fans who also supported Ridley, and tons now who also support Isaac (or at least see a lot of potential in him). A lot of K. Rool fans do get annoyed with "anime sword users" due to the seeming abundance of them. Which is actually what makes it so surprising that a lot of them are really interested in Isaac.

I'm assuming he's be a slow, heavy hitter type. Those usually aren't the characters I choose, so...yeah. 

I mean I don't have violent reactions to the idea, but I'd still rather have a bunch of other characters before him. I just don't care for the guy, and he design wise, puts me off.

K. Rool is known for using a lot of gadgets throughout most of his boss battles, and actually only really fights physically in DK64. And maybe the Climber games, I haven't seen the final boss battles for those titles yet. Even when he does fight physically, he's always playing tricks and fighting unfair, so his moveset could largely revolve around tricks and traps.

Yes, he looks like a slow heavy hitter type, but really, he barely uses that sort of fighting style in his boss battles and often uses both traps and gadgets (at least in the Rare games for the latter). Allow me to explain:

In DKC1-3 and DKL1-3, K. Rool revolves around tricks and traps more than anything. His most iconic move is undoubtedly the krown toss from DKC1/DKL1, which doesn't really lead to much overall. He tosses the krown across the screen allowing you to jump on his head, then he runs across. The trick during this part is how quickly he moves can actually catch you off guard.

After the first three hits, he'll start jumping to the other side of the screen and drop cannonballs from the top of the screen, and these can be difficult to avoid if you're not careful. He'll toss the krown again, of course, then he's defeated... except not real, as there's an (obvious) fake out credits, but if this was your first time playing the boss you might just think it was over and not actually read the Kredits, causing you to be surprised when he jumps back in.

In the final phase, he makes shorter leaps across the screen, and by the end the leaps are so short it appears almost impossible to get past. Plus, he moves so fast that it can be easy to catch you off guard.

Naturally, the main thing in this one is the krown throw, and there are cannonballs during one segment, but the whole battle is a massive fake out. Throughout the whole thing, his main goal is to trick you into making a mistake.

In DKL1, its notable that his patterns change slightly. Rather than waiting until he gets his krown back, he dashes off immediately after throwing the krown, making it surprisingly difficult to land a hit as he's moving at the time. Halfway through the fight he randomly does a high jump and dive right at the start which is frustratingly annoying to try and avoid at times.

In DKC2 and DKL2, he's got the blunderbuss, which is probably the most notable item K. Rool has used in his boss battles, and his entire Smash moveset could revolve around this easily. He sprays spiked kannonballs which can either shoot straight, rotate, or bounce on the ground, and he'll also shoot gas later on and turn invisible. Its very likely that if he was added in Smash, the grand majority of his moveset would revolve around the blunderbuss, and potentially could even mix up his blunderbuss actions by having him shoot many different things, and his grab could potentially be the sucking animation of the blunderbuss.

In DKL2 he doesn't really change significantly from DKC2.

In DKC3 he's totally different as well, but anything from here would be difficult to mix into a moveset. The main gimmick, electricity, could be merged with the blunderbuss and allow him to shoot electrical beams. The most notable think here is his helipack, which he hovers around in. This could be a recovery, but it could just as easily be a second jump instead.

In DKL3, believe it or not, he fights quite a bit differently. In his DKL3 boss battle he mostly throws grenades and shoots electric beams, which only reference his DKC3 boss battle at the most basic level. This is definitely his most original boss battle in the DKL games from the DKC games.

In DK64 he does fight physically like a brute, but still uses a few traps. In his first phase he creates shockwaves, in his second phase he throws his boxing gloves like boomerangs. In the third phase he just wanders around blind and tries to rush you when Lanky plays his trombone, not much there really. Fourth phase he just creates shockwaves again, and Tiny turns tiny and goes after his toes, which he tries to crush her with. Yeah, this is a weird one. Final phase he turns invisible again and bounces off the the ring to crush Chunky.

Overall there's some possibilities from DK64, and even this battle still gets into his laying traps for the Kongs during it, especially since throughout the whole thing the Kritters in the backdrop constantly ring the bell when K. Rool is about to lose.

Looking up King of Swing, he just does the same thing DK does; swing around on pegs and charge at you. He also has a flying machine that he flies around in throughout the game but he doesn't fight you in it.

Looking up Jungle Climber, K. Rool uses the Crystal Banana to turn gigantic, and he tries to crush DK and spews both spiked balls and shoots meteors down at DK and Diddy. Oddly in this battle he also gets a fire breath.

EDIT: Just want to clarify. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just trying to explain our stance. That's all. ^^

Edited by JaidynReiman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, it is true that a lot of K. Rool fans dislike certain other characters, but not everyone does. There's a ton of K. Rool fans who also supported Ridley, and tons now who also support Isaac (or at least see a lot of potential in him). A lot of K. Rool fans do get annoyed with "anime sword users" due to the seeming abundance of them. Which is actually what makes it so surprising that a lot of them are really interested in Isaac.

Well, I'm sure there's overlap in the fandoms, and I wasn't specifically calling out K. Rool fans. Just making a general observation about people when it comes to character discussion. 

So apparently if your opponent is really laggy in tourneys, you're forced to lose due to time outs.

Why should I be the one getting the boot when the lagging player should be the one getting kicked?

Tourneys is a complete mess, I do hope they fix this up, because this is ridiculous.

I don't play online, but this sounds like a disaster. If something like this is really happening, maybe Nintendo will do a hotfix. The idea of the lagging player having some kind of inherent advantage is setting off red flags for me, though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still a little disappointed Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt had no stage in the 3DS version. I mean if mirrors were a issue for Wii Fit Studio, they could have changed the stage up a bit, it gave 3DS something different. As for DH, I don't see why the Wii U's stage wouldn't have worked. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still a little disappointed Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt had no stage in the 3DS version. I mean if mirrors were a issue for Wii Fit Studio, they could have changed the stage up a bit, it gave 3DS something different. As for DH, I don't see why the Wii U's stage wouldn't have worked. 

To be honest I consider Nintendogs and Balloon Fight to be their home stages on 3DS by association.  I think it's better this way, since they come from sort of obscure/standalone titles, I don't feel their games deserve two reps.  Also none of the four stages mentioned are really worth the honour of cross-platform appearances.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest I consider Nintendogs and Balloon Fight to be their home stages on 3DS by association.  I think it's better this way, since they come from sort of obscure/standalone titles, I don't feel their games deserve two reps.  Also none of the four stages mentioned are really worth the honour of cross-platform appearances.

adds to the already meh list of 3DS stages, so it's not like giving 3ds more would be a bad thing. And yeah, I don't really equate those with those characters personally. Yeah they're obscure, but you may as well then say ROB is associated with Find Mii or Tomodachi Life.(speaking of which, Mii's technically get two stages in that regard)

Duck Hunts pretty iconic also, so don't see a issue in cross-sharing that stage.

these are both still characters repping their franchises. I'd say it's only fair to represent them in both versions.

Edited by KHCast

While we're talking about disappointing stages, Onett's Ω mode really sucks.

tumblr_neqtk0t1oH1sw8d3mo1_1280.png

The drug store is oddly proportioned and has a ton of windows. Also, there's a garbage can and potted flowers on the roof, despite there being no way up here short of jumping fifty feet. I would've loved seeing Magicant in HD instead. 

While we're talking about disappointing stages, Onett's Ω mode really sucks.

tumblr_neqtk0t1oH1sw8d3mo1_1280.png

The drug store is oddly proportioned and has a ton of windows. Also, there's a garbage can and potted flowers on the roof, despite there being no way up here short of jumping fifty feet. I would've loved seeing Magicant in HD instead. 

Onett as a stage in general isn't even that appealing even after all these years, at least to me. The colors of the stage feel so pale and washed out compared to how Onett actually looks in EarthBound. 

earthbound-2.png

I agree on Magicant being in the Wii U version too as well. Many people hate New Pork City but I wish it was in this game as well to commemorate Lucas' return. Would've been good for eight player at least.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not to mention that the mario series has a whole row of stages, while some characters have 1 stage, and others have none at all

Not to mention that the mario series has a whole row of stages, while some characters have 1 stage, and others have none at all

the way i see it is golden plains is luigi's stage, rainbow road is rosalina. 3DLand is bowser jr.(honestly paper mario would have been a better fit since he is in that game) paper mario is mario and mushroomy kingdom is peach and bowser.