Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

They kind of did away with the "home stage" concept anyway in Brawl, since there are more characters per franchise than there are stages per franchise in most cases now.  I mean sure it's pretty easy to give each Mario character a home stage but have fun trying to do that with all five Fire Emblem characters sharing a single stage on 3DS.

Wii Fit Trainer, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt Dog all seem to be considered "general Nintendo" on 3DS, and share a random selection of Pictochat, Balloon Fight and Nintendogs as their stages it seems.  On Wii U there is a little more choice for them.  It's really not something to get too hung up on though I think.

While we're talking about disappointing stages, Onett's Ω mode really sucks.

tumblr_neqtk0t1oH1sw8d3mo1_1280.png

The drug store is oddly proportioned and has a ton of windows. Also, there's a garbage can and potted flowers on the roof, despite there being no way up here short of jumping fifty feet. I would've loved seeing Magicant in HD instead. 

This seems kind of nitpicky to be honest, I mean, I agree with wanting Magicant in HD (other than Flying Man ruining things), but since Onett was chosen, I don't see how else they could've done the Omega version considering the Drug Store is the focal point of the stage.

adds to the already meh list of 3DS stages, so it's not like giving 3ds more would be a bad thing. And yeah, I don't really equate those with those characters personally. Yeah they're obscure, but you may as well then say ROB is associated with Find Mii or Tomodachi Life.(speaking of which, Mii's technically get two stages in that regard)

Duck Hunts pretty iconic also, so don't see a issue in cross-sharing that stage.

these are both still characters repping their franchises. I'd say it's only fair to represent them in both versions.

Honestly I'm apathetic because Duck Hunt is one of my least favourite stages on Wii U.  Boring layout, boring music selection, boring retro visuals, feels like such a downgrade when they did such a nice work on the Wrecking Crew stage.  I'd take 3DS' Balloon Fight over Duck Hunt any day, much more interesting to play on.  I guess I'm a little hypocritical since Balloon Fight uses retro visuals too but guess I just don't feel Balloon Fight's aesthetic style has aged as much as Duck Hunt's.  I hate all the empty visual space on the Duck Hunt stage, at least Balloon Fight has stars in the background.

For the record, I sort of consider Balloon Fight to be shared home stage between Duck Hunt Dog and R.O.B.  DK and Diddy have to share a stage so the "retro Nintendo" guys can too.

DK and Diddy are from the same franchise though. It's in the same vein as there being 4 Zelda characters and 2 Zelda stages(not counting dlc) and 5 fire emblem characters, and only one fe stage. It's not comparable to retro characters from different franchises seemingly needing to share a stage.

I mean if you guys are wanting 3DS stages on Wii u, why can't 3DS owners just as fairly want Wii U stages brought to 3DS?

and why do they need to be considered "general" on 3DS? Why can't they be considered equal characters from the franchise they're representing?

Edited by KHCast
  • Thumbs Up 2

Magicant is awful. The flying men ruin it

I noticed there's a lot of stages in Smash 4 I straight up don't like, like way moreso compared to past installments. There's still a lot that I do like so I don't want to say the majority, but I'm thinking of actually fiddling with the random stage selection this time around. I dunno man

This seems kind of nitpicky to be honest, I mean, I agree with wanting Magicant in HD (other than Flying Man ruining things), but since Onett was chosen, I don't see how else they could've done the Omega version considering the Drug Store is the focal point of the stage.

I never claimed that I wasn't nitpicking. :V

I get that they were limited in what they could do for a FD version, but that doesn't change how ugly and unnatural this looks. This isn't even counting how much they could've done to clean up/update Onett from Brawl to make it nicer. 

I want to see all of the 3DS version stages on Wii U, but mainly just Magicant (through I can do without the Flying Men), Mute City, Paper Mario, Spirit Tracks, N's Castle or Luminose City, and Pac maze (cause it's a better representation of Pac Man).

• Thumbs Up 1

What would be the point of the 3DS version existing if all those stages were also available on Wii U? 3DS looses any identity it had outside of Smash Run.

• Thumbs Up 4

What would be the point of the 3DS version existing if all those stages were also available on Wii U? 3DS looses any identity it had outside of Smash Run.

The only true reason it should exist: being handy on the road. Really shouldn't exist otherwise, console is the true home of smash, the only thing the 3DS version has really done is held it back

You guys are slacking on the best stages in the game!

GAMER, PACLAND, ORBITAL GATE, WILY CASTLE LOL

The first two stages I'm serious about. I actually enjoy these stages. Orbital gate is okay. I don't like wily castle.

Edited by jords

The only true reason it should exist: being handy on the road. Really shouldn't exist otherwise, console is the true home of smash, the only thing the 3DS version has really done is held it back

it's really annoying how you ragg on the 3ds version all the time. You get mad when people critisize K.Rool aNd now you basically put down the 3ds version.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm alright with the 3DS version being a thing. I'm not big into console gaming (I literally do not have the attention span on playing and beating games nowadays) and luckily, smash is those types of games that I can play for a bit, put it down, and pick it back up when I want to kill time. Most of my irl friends have a 3DS, which means it easier for us to play a couple of matches during lunch breaks at school instead of having to go to someone house and play it there. I also think some of the 3DS limitation helped the game imo. I prefer Zelda and Sheik being their own characters instead of them being awkward transformation characters. Same thing for ZSS and Samus (To a lesser extent but you catch my drift).

• Thumbs Up 6

You guys are slacking on the best stages in the game!

GAMER, PACLAND, ORBITAL GATE, WILY CASTLE LOL

The first two stages I'm serious about. I actually enjoy these stages. Orbital gate is okay. I don't like wily castle.

pacland is so ugly though...

DK and Diddy are from the same franchise though. It's in the same vein as there being 4 Zelda characters and 2 Zelda stages(not counting dlc) and 5 fire emblem characters, and only one fe stage. It's not comparable to retro characters from different franchises seemingly needing to share a stage.

I mean if you guys are wanting 3DS stages on Wii u, why can't 3DS owners just as fairly want Wii U stages brought to 3DS?

and why do they need to be considered "general" on 3DS? Why can't they be considered equal characters from the franchise they're representing?

It just seems like a waste when Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Studio are such mediocre stages on Wii U.  But even ignoring that, 3DS was more limited on space so concessions had to be made.  I'd much rather the big, established franchises get priority on having extra stages than making sure that every single franchise gets at least one, and when it comes to the "smaller" franchises, I'd rather franchises that can provide interesting stages but not characters get priority over those that can provide interesting characters but not necessarily stages like Wii Fit and Duck Hunt.

I mean sure they could add in the Wii U Wii Fit and Duck Hunt stages as DLC since they'd be stored on the SD Card rather than the cart, but man, I'd hate to spend like 50p just to get those two boring stages into the 3DS one.

In that case, we shouldn't have gotten 2 Mii stages  and another pictochat first as those are pretty niche things. The way I see it, they should have focused firstly on the playable characters foremost for stages to use before looking at extras, even if some of the playable characters were obscure. I mean game in watch in no way is a big franchise, Wii Fit probably beats it by now in terms of notability, yet people have no issue with that getting repped. 

As as for the creativity part, I agree there I guess, though I'm sure Nintendo could have been more unique with DH and WFT

Edited by KHCast
  • Thumbs Up 1

it's really annoying how you ragg on the 3ds version all the time. You get mad when people critisize K.Rool aNd now you basically put down the 3ds version.

Eh, I agree with him. 3DS caused the Ice Climbers to be removed. I'd rather just have it's trophies, stages and Smash Run in the Wii U version than it existing.

• Thumbs Up 2

I never gave that big a crap about Ice Climbers. 

I'm fine with Smash 3DS existing, as 1. I don't really want a Wii U and 2. I'm not really as invested into console gaming nearly as much lately. Mobile gaming is much more convenient for me, and gives me my Smash fix.

I really miss the Ice Climbers, but unfortunately they had to go, no matter how you look at it. I'm really okay with the 3DS version for a number of reasons, these being:

1) I don't want a Wii U at the moment, if I had to buy a current gen console I would go for a PS4, no questions. 

2) Once I unlock the unlockable, I only play Smash in small bursts, and a handheld version is perfect for that.

3) No, seriously, I won't buy a Wii U just for this game; I don't really care about any Wii U exclusives.

4) Smash Run is really fun, especially compared to that thing the Wii U version got.

5) Magicant is fucking beautiful.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I realize that Smash Bros 3DS was good for sales, it seems like the only reason two versions were made in the first place. It wasn't a decision made with how it would effect the quality of the game in mind, and the whole thing clearly suffers because of it. I would rather have one big version of this game than two smaller versions that don't even really feel like they measure up to past Smash games in a lot of ways because of it

• Thumbs Up 4

In that case, we shouldn't have gotten 2 Mii stages  and another pictochat first as those are pretty niche things. The way I see it, they should have focused firstly on the playable characters foremost for stages to use before looking at extras, even if some of the playable characters were obscure. I mean game in watch in no way is a big franchise, Wii Fit probably beats it by now in terms of notability, yet people have no issue with that getting repped. 

As as for the creativity part, I agree there I guess, though I'm sure Nintendo could have been more unique with DH and WFT

For what it's worth, another thing to consider could be the whole theme 3DS had with repping handheld franchises with the stage selection.  Tomodachi Life and Streetpass Quest/Find Mii are both very very relevant handheld games.  Balloon Fight vs Duck Hunt could be suggested as a case of BF having handheld rereleases but I doubt they were THAT strict with the theme.  No way is the general "Mii Series" more niché than Wii Fit or Duck Hunt though.  Hell, really Wii Fit is part of that same overarching brand.  Tomodachi is a very relevant and recent game and Streetpass Quest is owned by every single 3DS owner in existence.

I also personally like to consider 3DS and Wii U to be two halves of a whole, like, sure Mr G&W got more representation stage-wise than Wii Fit Trainer but he did so with one returning stage for 3DS and what is essentially the same returning stage with one additional state from another past stage added into it for Wii U.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well for what it's worth, I find duck hunt to be just as notable as a franchise, if not more so, than the Ice Climbers. So I wouldn't say Duck Hunt is super niche.

While I realize that Smash Bros 3DS was good for sales, it seems like the only reason two versions were made in the first place. It wasn't a decision made with how it would effect the quality of the game in mind, and the whole thing clearly suffers because of it. I would rather have one big version of this game than two smaller versions that don't even really feel like they measure up to past Smash games in a lot of ways because of it

while I won't deny 3DS created limitations to the game as a whole, I'd say the game by a technical stand point and replayable, at least for me, beats 64 and Brawl. Like yeah it definitely doesn't have as much content in terms of modes and extras, but a lot of those modes and extras in Brawl, bored the crap out of me and felt like they were just there to add length to the game. Yeah, Brawl felt like a bigger game because of it, but I couldn't care for half of the content. I'll take Smash 3DS over that any day.

I just wish Sakurai and Nintendo would flesh it out with a couple more modes or features that aren't stages and characters. Like Tourney. And in my dream world, stage creator.(Inb4peoplesay3dscouldnthandleit)

Edited by KHCast

First, Daddy Sakurai, now this...

Also, MOAR speculations:

First, Daddy Sakurai, now this...

Also, MOAR speculations:

*seconds later gordon ramsey unfollows him*