Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

But...why would a announcement or vid show up tomorrow? There's literally been no hints or anything to give off that impression.

• Thumbs Up 6

But...why would a announcement or vid show up tomorrow? There's literally been no hints or anything to give off that impression.

Exactly, they would announce it ahead of time, to give us time to build up hype.

Say, referring to our earlier discussion about K.Rool having a voice or animal noises, well British Super-villian would be a cool homage, but you still need actual animal grunts, and well Krocs sound awesome(and reason a animal voice wouldn't kill me)

Look up other ones, also if you match it up to the older games, his in-game grunts do in fact sound like Krocodile noises

Also regarding the ballot, I'm still the train of thought that of the remaining DLC, and especially of ballot dlc, we'll wind up with them fitting one if not 2 of these categories that haven't been covered in a first-party aspect in DLC: Female character(this isn't just saying we need females, it's that we've had 4 DLC characters, and not a single one of them is female, and I don't see this ending without at least one newcomer female humanoid, sorry I don't really count Dixie)), Villain(small group, lots of moveset potential, gets the fan-support from the ballot), and un-represented franchise. In regards to female, possible candidates to me are Captain Syrup(Villain, relatively unrepped franchise[come on we sadly know Wario is a Ware not Land rep]), Jill(from that GBA dozer game was an assist in Brawl, but small fanbase), Krystal(decent fanbase, although part of a decently repped franchise, mild relevancy issues, but could be saved by fan support), Impa(see Krystal), and Sami( new franchise in the form of Advance wars, is co-main character and more interesting than Andy being an actual soldier instead of a mechanic). Not that there isn't other possibilities, but those seem to be the ones likely to be saved by the ballot, but possibly overlooked prior to. For Male new franchises, obvious picks are Isaac, Ray(Custom Robo),... well actually those are the primary 2 who stand out, while niche both have some modicum of support, most others don't seem to. Needless to say you guys know my primary villain pick

Note: For the sake of my argument, I purposely left out the Inklings, while extremely popular, I think that's why they won't be chose: they are perfect cover/reveal characters for Smash 5 at this point, and also shouldn't be held back by any limitations imposed by either version of smash(any true application of the ink mechanic would kill both 8-player smash and 3DS), stage is possible though

I wouldn't play as the Inklings unless they used a paintbrush as their default weapon. I'm barely getting used to Mega Man, I can't deal with another ranged character, hehe.

Also... I think I'm gonna take a break from online Smash. It's just too negative recently. I get insulted when I lose occasionally but more often than not I get insulted when I win. I know it shouldn't bother me at all but unfortunately it still does. :V

I'll probably pick it up again once a new DLC character is released and I MIGHT still play with friends, but yeah.

Exactly, they would announce it ahead of time, to give us time to build up hype.

I think you're, uh, misunderstanding the question here.

What is the basis for a stream/video tomorrow?

I wouldn't play as the Inklings unless they used a paintbrush as their default weapon. I'm barely getting used to Mega Man, I can't deal with another ranged character, hehe.

Also... I think I'm gonna take a break from online Smash. It's just too negative recently. I get insulted when I lose occasionally but more often than not I get insulted when I win. I know it shouldn't bother me at all but unfortunately it still does. :V

I'll probably pick it up again once a new DLC character is released and I MIGHT still play with friends, but yeah.

yeah, you really shouldn't be playing For Glory then. Have you tried our Anther's Ladder? It's great for hooking up with others on your skill level.

yeah, you really shouldn't be playing For Glory then. Have you tried our Anther's Ladder? It's great for hooking up with others on your skill level.

Never heard of Anther's Ladder, is that some Smash website?

On another topic, has anyone tested to see if you can make a highlight reel of a replay longer than 3 minutes?

Hm. I'm mediocre at best so I dunno. I guess I could give it a try though.

i can safely say you're not mediocre. Your Sonic and Ike are legit great and easily some of the hardest I've had to fight and I've come across people who use said characters countless times. Don't put yourself down.

If you feel like you need practice generally or want advice on how to get better with mains, I'd recommend joining Smashboards and looking around the character boards there or even join a crew.

Edited by Felix
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think you're, uh, misunderstanding the question here.

What is the basis for a stream/video tomorrow?

The basis is for Masahiro Sakurai to announce the next DLC Character, the release date for the amiibos of Lucas and Ryu, A new Costume Pack, and the results of the Smash Ballot! At least that's what I think the basis would be for.

The basis is for Masahiro Sakurai to announce the next DLC Character, the release date for the amiibos of Lucas and Ryu, A new Costume Pack, and the results of the Smash Ballot! At least that's what I think the basis would be for.

...That's not what he meant.

What proof do you have that there's going to be a stream so soon?

• Thumbs Up 2

I think we'll get a Direct either this week or next week, but not a stream so soon out of the blue.

You know, I've been thinking regarding the ballot, and personally, I think Dixie will wind up with the same fate as the Inklings: They both have great potential, and good fanbases, but they are relevant enough to be saved for a greater hype factor for Smash 5.  There's going to have to be some conserved momentum, and this ballot is being used for the future and the present. With K.Rool we've brought him back from the brink of oblivion, and that is definitely something to be rewarded with his choice as DLC establishing his return to the DKC franchise, while Dixie already returning means that she can wait. Add to that while I think there will definitely be a female Ballot character, I think it's likely to be extremely unique, at the least humanoid, and either from an un-repped or barely repped franchise.

Also, with that criteria, I would say an Indie character is  not impossible, but would have to have some pretty high standards, and one of them is having an established legacy, which honestly Shovel Knight doesn't have, he has a single game with about 300,000 sales on Nintendo systems, which is smaller than even the niche first party characters getting in. While Shantae has 3 games and greater sales(still smaller than Nintendo characters, but the stronger relationship). Honestly both are unlikely, but I really wanted to put out some full thoughts on this.

DLC only has so many spots and so much time, while the next Smash will have so much more, and there are some characters who will fit better for one over the other

...That's not what he meant.

What proof do you have that there's going to be a stream so soon?

The mass assumptions of the fans at the Sega Forums. That, and the fact that the Movie List section of the site is down. Unless that's just some way of downsizing the site, and relocating each movie to the respective fighter that was introduced. But if you think that's not proof enough, then I LIED! Happy, now?

Edited by YoshiAngemon

Fan assumption =/= confirmation especially when that fanbase is Sega Forums

as for the site, sites go down to be edited and fixed all the time. It shouldn't be used to automatically assume something WILL happen.

• Thumbs Up 4

The mass assumptions of the fans at the Sega Forums. That, and the fact that the Movie List section of the site is down. Unless that's just some way of downsizing the site, and relocating each movie to the respective fighter that was introduced. But if you think that's not proof enough, then I LIED! Happy, now?

Hah, this little chestnut that's been going around; don't worry I fell hook line and sinker for it too. So, here's the movie list section for the US:

wYwcElX.png

Blank? Movie list? Seems like maybe a Subspace DLC could be happening? I thought so too, but wait. Here's the movie list section for the UK:

Si8CrI3.png

Oh, it says video list now, and it's all the trailers for the game, maybe the US one is getting updated first?

674487.thumb.PNG.176089b47476519396029b7

Here's the movie list for the US back at March 19th, 2015 @ 8:50am:

wK2Sp1K.png

Oh, it's just this exact same... huh, how about that? It's been broken for ages, hahhahahaha. Ha.

Also, psst. You said there'd be an announcement video today, but it's already tomorrow in Japan...

kCtmaDL.png

• Thumbs Up 4

So much theories, rumors and other shit. I'm just waiting for Nintendo to make the official announcement of whatever. thinking about this stuff doesn't help the wait lol. Learned that the hard way lol

Still hoping for rayman idc

• Thumbs Up 3

It's the fourth wave of Mii Costumes trailer when I played that private video.

YouTube skips unplayable videos straight away.

Also, with that criteria, I would say an Indie character is  not impossible, but would have to have some pretty high standards, and one of them is having an established legacy, which honestly Shovel Knight doesn't have, he has a single game with about 300,000 sales on Nintendo systems, which is smaller than even the niche first party characters getting in. While Shantae has 3 games and greater sales(still smaller than Nintendo characters, but the stronger relationship). Honestly both are unlikely, but I really wanted to put out some full thoughts on this.

You know I'm kinda tired of this imaginary competition between Shovel Knight and Shantae, but I wanted to mention that it's not all that unlikely that Shovel Knight is outselling the entire Shantae series. On Steam Spy, sales estimates for both Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse combined make up like, <40% of Shovel Knight's sales, and SK charts higher on the eshop. There's obviously a lot of missing data but people within the Smash community tend to overstate the relevance of the Shantae franchise. 

EDIT: As for who is more likely, I'm not gonna make any predictions. Shantae had a bigger showing and has had a Smash fanbase for longer, but SK is the more popular, well-received indie game outside of the Smash community. 

Edited by Captain Fun
  • Thumbs Up 4

Not to derail the current topic, but I still think Ness' PK Fire should be nerfed. 

I tested the combo on a level 9 CPU to make sure that it was inescapable, and lo and behold, it is. 0-death true combo.

(Excuse the poor quality, I only have the 3DS version) 

0:50 for the combo

Also, this was like two patches ago, so I'm not sure if this still works, but from the look of Ness being untouched, I would assume that it still works. I wouldn't mind if his Back throw got nerfed a bit either.