Awoo.

Project M Discussion Thread - 3.02 Patch and Launcher Released!

SilentDoom

flCkkJ1.png

PROJECT M 3.01 Download: http://projectmgame.com/en/download

What is Project M?

Project M is a community made mod of Super Smash Bros Brawl inspired by Super Smash Bros Melee's gameplay designed to add rich, technical gameplay to a balanced cast of characters while additionally enhancing the speed of play. Project M employs new codes which seamlessly add in new, universal features to the entire cast to add technical variety to all characters. It hopes to achieve a game to Melee in many respects but not be a 1:1 clone. The following aspects of Melee have been carried over into Project M:

• A fast-paced game
  • with flowing, natural movement
  • where the player has a great degree of control over his character due to the technical skill that he's achieved.
  • The balance of offense and defense changes depending on the exact matchup and playstyle, but overall tends to favor offense slightly.
  • Offstage edgeguarding is risky but rewarding, while on-stage edgeguarding is safer but less rewarding.
  • Recoveries generally require great skill to use, with the advantage usually being with the edgeguarding player, with some exceptions.
  • The combos are challenging and spontaneous, with anything longer than 2-3 hits requiring a knowledge of both characters' options and some degree of prediction and/or a deep understanding of the mental aspect of the game.

Project M is available on any NTSC (North American) Wii without any sort of hardware modification (though hardware modification is unfortunately required for PAL Wii users for the time being). All that's needed are a 1-2GB SD card (2GB preferred) and the files for Project M and you're set.

Current Release Info

Project M is currently in demo stage (version 2.6) and has 34 out of Brawl's 39 characters released in the public version (the remaining 5 are still in development). Do not be alienated by this fact however, as Project M still offers a robust, fast paced and polished Smash experience with a variety of different character play styles and stage options. With almost 3 years of careful development and almost 12,000 revisions, the mod continues to grow and go from strength to strength.

01.png

Character Overview

As mentioned before, there's a variety of characters in Project M. Since the core gameplay build's upon Melee's and the mod is more competitively inclined, the top tier characters are restored to their Melee incarnations to compliment. Most Melee veterans retain their core playstyle whilst receiving various buffs and improvements to put them more in line with the other characters, and Brawl newcomers have received various changes to allow their movesets to compliment the Melee gameplay. From Bowser gaining armour on a number of his attacks to accentuate his tank like playstyle, to Lucario's complete re-invention, gaining a magic series and super system akin to the Street Fighter games, each character has been carefully designed, animated, play tested and programmed to create a varied and balanced metagame.

09.jpg09.png

07.png01.png

Stage Overview

Project M also introduces a number of new stages to the table, as well as various adjustments to already existing ones to either make them more competitively viable and less disruptive or to make them more aesthetically pleasing. Three of the most notable new stages exclusive to Project M are LoZ: Skyward Sword's Skyloft, the Metal Mario stage exclusive to Smash 64's Classic mode Metal Cavern and Castlevania's Dracula's Castle. Additionally, we've revamped the stage select screen in a number of ways including a new Stage Strike system that allows you to strike out stages for the random select whilst you're on select screen.

JNLqY.png

O8ITR.pngzcqIM.png

For more information on various aspects of the mod overall, be sure to check out our (newly revamped) website: http://projectmgame.com

SiLeNtDo0m - Project M Back Room (Lead Animator)

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 8

I was wondering when I'd see a topic here for this...

While I do enjoy this mod and appreciate the amount of effort being poured into it, it honestly feels too stiff for me. The characters seem like they fall faster than in Melee but with minimal air control, so most times I feel like I have to push hard on the control stick to get my character to go anywhere. The controls and physics just don't flow as well as a normal SSB game, so it just makes me want to play those instead. No offense.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes
  • Thumbs Up 1

The project seems good, but it really friggin' annoys me how dismissive they're being of PAL. 

Love this mod. Melee has always been my favourite Smash game, and this mod is basically a Melee+most of Brwl's character roster, so honestly with this the only reason I ever go back to normal Brawl is to play with someone online who doesn't have the mod. I love how Brawl characters are changed to make them fit into Melee/make them better, and certain Melee characters are tweaked too. It pretty much feels like a new Smash bros with the bunch of different stages and the Melee feel. Love it to pieces. 

I kind of regret not getting brawl now, this mod makes it seem a whole lot more enjoyable for me (especially since ive been getting really into melee lately) and plus I like how all the characters got some cool tweaks.

The project seems good, but it really friggin' annoys me how dismissive they're being of PAL.
It's not the case that we're being submissive of PAL, it's the fact that the entire codeset needs to be rewritten for PAL. Project:M's codeset (as one could imagine) is bloody huge and trying to develop a PAL version simultaneously with the NTSC version would slow down the development of the project significantly. As a result a PAL version won't happen until the codeset is complete.

I can kinda understand that, work out the kinks and have a complete version before doing other regions, still annoying though as I'm PAL :P

So after reading this a bit, do some characters have new move sets? Or altered ones? (As in animation ect,) or just altered hit boxes and speed and knock back?

• Thumbs Up 1

I can kinda understand that, work out the kinks and have a complete version before doing other regions, still annoying though as I'm PAL tongue.png

So after reading this a bit, do some characters have new move sets? Or altered ones? (As in animation ect,) or just altered hit boxes and speed and knock back?

Some characters have altered move sets, yes, Especially some of the Brawl newcomers. 

I love Project M and am happy to see a topic for it. I just downloaded version 2.6 this past weekend. Only thing I really don't like about it is Sonic's inability to homing attack out of a jump after executing the down+special (spin dash) move. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with the work put into the game. I'm also loving Ganon's up-tilt change.

Also, kudos for adding the hyrule castle stage from the n64 smash..... my favorite stage of all time.

• 1 month later...

Bump for a nifty update to anyone interested.

For those who don't know, our next update of Project M is going to include a Special Brawl mode called Turbo Mode which allows characters to cancel attacks on hit with any other attack for insane combos (we initially revealed this as an April Fool's joke but later confirmed it as an official part of the game).  The mode will replace the Curry Brawl mode.

As a result we'll be doing weekly Tuesday updates called Turbo Tuesdays where we showcase a character doing crazy stuff in Turbo Mode and this week just so happens to be our favourite anthropomorphic blue hedgehog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIsP4ZPfB4s

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh right, this game. Literally the only video game I ever play anymore. I love love love it, it's been such a huge part of my life the past three years and it has nowhere to go but up. <3

• Thumbs Up 2

Bump for a nifty update to anyone interested.

For those who don't know, our next update of Project M is going to include a Special Brawl mode called Turbo Mode which allows characters to cancel attacks on hit with any other attack for insane combos (we initially revealed this as an April Fool's joke but later confirmed it as an official part of the game).  The mode will replace the Curry Brawl mode.

As a result we'll be doing weekly Tuesday updates called Turbo Tuesdays where we showcase a character doing crazy stuff in Turbo Mode and this week just so happens to be our favourite anthropomorphic blue hedgehog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIsP4ZPfB4s

Now when you say you'll be having weekly updates... do you mean it will be available to us every tuesday (as in any new update)? What I'm getting at is.... when can we see this mode? It looks so cool and I would like to play it when my friends and I do our other SMASH Talk episode XD

Now when you say you'll be having weekly updates... do you mean it will be available to us every tuesday (as in any new update)? What I'm getting at is.... when can we see this mode? It looks so cool and I would like to play it when my friends and I do our other SMASH Talk episode XD

By "weekly updates" we mean an approximately weekly video showing off the possibilities of Turbo Mode. The actual version that will feature Turbo Mode in a playable capacity hasn't been announced yet, unfortunately, but stay tuned for updates! smile.png
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, look who's back!

sFE4KOa.png

Roy, the son of Eliwood, returns to the battlefield! It's been a long time coming but the team is happy to finally reveal this character. It was a long thought dream of the team to be able to bring back an old favorite but now that dream is reality! Roy does not replace anyone at all, he has his own character select slot and icon. We've worked hard to restore Roy to his former glory and also give him some new tools. We hope you all will look forward to playing this character once again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O41m5WoH6gQ

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait: Where'd you get a Brawl-styled model for Roy? Did you guys make it yourselves? If so, that's a damn fine model. Also I can't say I support bringing over THIS particular aspect of Melee: Clones. Couldn't judge well from the video, how different from Melee is he?

Also, I've been hearing something about a "Clone Engine" becoming a reality allowing this to happen. What is that?

Edited by Chaos Warp

Model was made by our modelling team. They're a pretty dang talented bunch of peeps. Also Roy has gone through quite the makeover in terms of his moveset. Comparative to his Melee counterpart he's a significantly more potent threat (up there with some of the best in the game now in my opinion) and whilst his core gameplay style remains in tact as well as a number of his better Melee moves, he's gone through a lot of rebalancing and reanimating to make him look and feel more individual to Marth. You can see quite a bit of it in his new trailer. He's been sort of "Luigi-fied" per se.

Model was made by our modelling team. They're a pretty dang talented bunch of peeps. Also Roy has gone through quite the makeover in terms of his moveset. Comparative to his Melee counterpart he's a significantly more potent threat (up there with some of the best in the game now in my opinion) and whilst his core gameplay style remains in tact as well as a number of his better Melee moves, he's gone through a lot of rebalancing and reanimating to make him look and feel more individual to Marth. You can see quite a bit of it in his new trailer. He's been sort of "Luigi-fied" per se.

Oh well that's cool. I'm fine with that. 

Man, the guys must have really fun time with these, this looks amazing and the movements character model effects, everything is just so well done. I wonder if they could possibly do shadow too.

you guys behind project M never cease to surprise me, awesome work like always.  Roy looks amazing and fun to play, can't wait to download the newest version and play with my friends.

If you guys had some sort of pledge to help pay for development I would totally pledge XD

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Look who else is back

http://projectmgame.com/en/news/challenger-approaching-mewtwo-revealed

Mewtwo Strikes Back!  Trailer in the link.

MyBodyIsReadySnape.gif

Okay this was kinda predictable (that's not at all an insult) once you guys figured out how to add entirely new characters but still YESSSSSS! AWESOME!

Edited by Ghostly Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

I was worried he'd look like the other Mewtwo hack (just search Mewtwo in Brawl on YT), but he looks almost exactly like he did in Melee, but better.

Good show.  Now to find a Wii...

Every time I see an update for this I get really excited for five seconds and then remember there's no PAL version

Every fucking time

• Thumbs Up 3

MyBodyIsReadySnape.gif

MY exact reaction when I saw the combo video. JEEZ. Why did I never master Mewtwo in Melee?

MY exact reaction when I saw the combo video. JEEZ. Why did I never master Mewtwo in Melee?

He was terrible in Melee is probably why :V  Though we kept the positive elements he had, accentuated some of them, addressed his flaws and gave him new tools.  Most prominent example being the hover (inputted the same way as Peach's).  Unlike Peach's it's omnidirectional but also unlike Peach's it eats his double jump.  It also lasts for significantly less time.  But overall he's been significantly buffed and trust me when I say he's super fun to play.

• Thumbs Up 2