Awoo.

Suggested Meetups Subforum

Tani Coyote

Hello!

While we have a stickied thread for Sonic Boom 2013 and a subforum of Summer of Sonic, I think some sort of subforum under the Sonic section for Sonic meetups would hold some merit. We already have events such as Sonic-London and Sonic Boom West, as an example, and it would help such events gain exposure and ultimately help to foster the sense of community between fans.

While theoretically such meetups could be posted in the Sonic Discussion forum, they would likely get buried beneath posts, while stickying them all would be cumbersome and likewise clutter the board. Just as we have a Showcase subforum for artistic creations and a marketplace subforum for individual or collective merchandise topics, I think some sort of Meetup forum would be a good idea as well.

Barring that, such a subforum could theoretically be placed under the Chit-Chat section.

Thoughts? Comments?

• Thumbs Up 5

I was at first thinking that we should just stick to threads, but reading your post made me see what a good idea it would generally be.  The big question, however, is how much use do you think it will receive?  Sure, it would be nice if people paid more mind to the smaller meetups as well, but even if they were given a bit more spotlight via isolation in their own forum, I don't think it would make a considerable difference.  SoS gets its own sub-forum because it's run by TSS staff (and because of how big it is), so it makes sense.  Sonic Boom gets a stickied thread because it's usually guaranteed a fairly large turnout.

Still, though, I'm not against the idea.  I think the best option would be to make the subforum in the Chit-Chat section, as it gives a place of discussion for meetups and popular conventions outside of the Sonic community.  Of course, there would have to be a series of rules to establish what constitutes a meet-up and what does not.  You wouldn't want a 12-year-old to join the forum and post a topic like "party @ my house 25164 Satan St. Hell, Michigan lolol."  So yeah, it could work if there's a clear and concise definition of a meetup with guidelines for proof of concept and organization.  Rather or not it will get used at all is another question, though.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 1

Of course, there would have to be a series of rules to establish what constitutes a meet-up and what does not.  You wouldn't want a 12-year-old to join the forum and post a topic like "party @ my house 25164 Satan St. Hell, Michigan lolol."  So yeah, it could work if there's a clear and concise definition of a meetup with guidelines for proof of concept and organization.  Rather or not it will get used at all is another question, though.

A valid point indeed.

I'd presume a meetup would constitute any meeting in a public location, really. Whether it's just meeting up at a bar or renting out a whole convention center, I think the criteria need not be too strict. I imagine, for sanity's sake, logically only meetups with enough endorsements/attendees (say, five to throw out a random number) should get their own thread, whereas other meetups would be in some general thread until they gained enough steam to receive their own. 

Overall, given how important TSS has been in organising Summer of Sonic (and by extension, Boom), some method of allowing other people to organise similar meetups in an efficient manner would definitely keep with the spirit of the community. Imagine it - small conventions in every major city... It's possible, all it really needs is some place for communication.

Edited by Ogilvie Maurice
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, with at least 5,000 members here, it's a question of how easy it would be for some to meet up. I live in Texas, others live in New York, California, or Georgia. Then it's a question of if any of us are actually close by.

Still interesting to have in mind tho, when this place grows.

• Thumbs Up 1

My presumption is that each meetup would be organised by some small group of local SSMB members (heck, with how many members are dualists on other forums there's another way to help gather fans together). It'd be up to each organising team to get the word out and make their event a success, of course. This proposed subforum would merely be the first of many steps on a staircase, in helping close members have a communication point from which something much more grand might sprout.

I mean, with millions of people crowded into a handful of cities around the world... I see no reason it wouldn't be possible for at least a small amount of meetups to be potentially successful and grow into sizable groups given time.

• Thumbs Up 2

There are multiple threads for SSMB meetups.  One in Georgia and one in New York, I believe.

Both are great examples of non-convention threads that worked out great because it showed a great deal of organization and planning, as opposed to a hectic mess where they wanted to do something but the directions were not precise or otherwise just didn't get across very well.  Everything was discussed and generally agreed upon beforehand.  That's the kind of guidelines I'm referring to.  Some rules that dictate how well planned a meet-up should be, no matter how big or small.

I don't think every meet up would eventually evolve into a full-blown convention, which isn't a bad thing.  Conventions take a lot more business sense, communication and general management skills than a lot of people fully realize, so in many respects, it's best if a lot of these meet 'n greets just stay small meet 'n greets.  I like the idea, though.  It would be nice to meet some people here on the other side of the computer screen... if I weren't such a paranoid, nervous wreck.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ogilvie Maurice definetly made a very valid point about meetup posts in, say, Sonic Discussion getting bumped down quickly. This happens to my SonicLondon threads practically every time. Which is sad because I'd like to see more people from SSMB attending!

• Thumbs Up 1

There are multiple threads for SSMB meetups.  One in Georgia and one in New York, I believe.

Where were these, exactly?

And, are they SSMB meetups, or Sonic meetups? I know that's an odd question but in theory they need not be the same thing.

Both are great examples of non-convention threads that worked out great because it showed a great deal of organization and planning, as opposed to a hectic mess where they wanted to do something but the directions were not precise or otherwise just didn't get across very well.  Everything was discussed and generally agreed upon beforehand.  That's the kind of guidelines I'm referring to.  Some rules that dictate how well planned a meet-up should be, no matter how big or small.

I think it goes without saying any meetup that hopes to flourish (i.e. be recurring) needs to have some sort of central authority, and I think this will develop on its own... otherwise the meetups will fizzle out and become a moot issue.

If there's any SSMB-specific rule, it should be that each meetup has some clear leadership direction: hosts, location, activities, etc.

Ogilvie Maurice definetly made a very valid point about meetup posts in, say, Sonic Discussion getting bumped down quickly. This happens to my SonicLondon threads practically every time. Which is sad because I'd like to see more people from SSMB attending!

Which is ultimately my biggest reason for wanting a separate subforum for such. Discussion's so active there that it's bound to get bumped down.

I mean, one could theoretically put such threads in Chit-Chat but that can get hectic too... a subforum just speaks to me the most from an organisational perspective. I doubt it will take off like such lightning that the threat of getting bumped off the most recent threads won't be a problem for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why couldn't we simply have a stickied mega-thread for this, like we do the Artist's Commission Thread? It's a fine idea; I just don't see the reason for a sub-forum, mainly because SSMB members are indeed so spread out, and there are relatively few SSMB forum-goers compared to, say, the entire Sonic community, that I don't think a hub for arranging meet-ups warrants all the extra space of its own sun-forum.

• Thumbs Up 2

One could theoretically put such topics in Personal, because it only concerns members of this site? Probably not, I dunno.

• Thumbs Up 1

Where were these, exactly?

And, are they SSMB meetups, or Sonic meetups? I know that's an odd question but in theory they need not be the same thing.

and I can't find the New York one anymore.

They are SSMB meetups, but I think regardless of their purpose and topicality, the basic rules and principles should still apply.

I think it goes without saying any meetup that hopes to flourish (i.e. be recurring) needs to have some sort of central authority, and I think this will develop on its own... otherwise the meetups will fizzle out and become a moot issue.

If there's any SSMB-specific rule, it should be that each meetup has some clear leadership direction: hosts, location, activities, etc.

Well, of course, I'm not saying there should be a long list of cans and can't, just something to keep unexperienced planners from making some of the worst rookie mistakes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah having a sub forum for this is pointless, because not everyone is up for meet ups, if anything it's just more general chit chat for like minded people, so a stickied thread at the top of personal chit chat would be better than an entirely new sub forum.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only problem I have with a stickied thread over an actual subforum is the possibility of multiple meet-ups taking place at the same time, so one is always competing for attention over the other.  Plus, it would be nice to have a place where people could enjoy certain conventions without dogpiling and people giving unconstructive remarks about its existence.

But I don't think those conventions are popular enough around here for anyone to care, otherwise they would have made a topic for them already.  So like I said, I'm not against either idea.  It's just that I don't see it having much use.

Edited by Akito
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why couldn't we simply have a stickied mega-thread for this, like we do the Artist's Commission Thread? It's a fine idea; I just don't see the reason for a sub-forum, mainly because SSMB members are indeed so spread out, and there are relatively few SSMB forum-goers compared to, say, the entire Sonic community, that I don't think a hub for arranging meet-ups warrants all the extra space of its own sun-forum.

I suppose such an idea could theoretically be the best given the current situation. As it stands competition wouldn't really be fierce between the meetups (I presume few people would have the time and determination to keep meetups recurring), so a single thread likely could serve the purpose. I could see a subforum having merit if you had say, one or two dozen meetups that were strong and recurring.

Well, of course, I'm not saying there should be a long list of cans and can't, just something to keep unexperienced planners from making some of the worst rookie mistakes.

Oh, advice from experienced planners being made into rules of sorts is definitely a good idea with merit. The scientific method is a fine thing, after all, and while no meetup will ever be the same, I think the successful ones can tell us a good deal about what to avoid with future ones.

But I don't think those conventions are popular enough around here for anyone to care, otherwise they would have made a topic for them already.  So like I said, I'm not against either idea.  It's just that I don't see it having much use.

In retrospect I think a single stickied topic probably could fill the need for meetup organisation as things stand. There's just not enough room for discussion for a whole subforum. On the other hand, if meetups became frequent enough that a thread could no longer contain them, separate threads and eventually a subforum of its own would definitely hold merit.

• Thumbs Up 2

@ Akito: I don't think competition would be an inherent issue with a megathread because every meeting is a closed system on account of no one can be in two places at once. So with me being in Atlanta nearly all the time, the discussions concerning the Boston meet-up are not going to get my attention anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose that's true.  My main concern is people talking over each other on two different topics.

User 1: That meetup in Dimsdale meeting was awesome.

User 2: Yeah, I had a great time in Arlen.

User 3: Arlen was great.

User 4: Glad I could meet you all in Arlen.

User 5: I agree, Dimsdale was fun.

I know that's what the quote system was for, but after awhile it becomes a bit of a mess.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, that's what quotes are for. xD Even if people didn't consistently use them though, I don't think the thread would deteriorate on account of everyone's talking about different things. The Anime and Manga thread seems to get along just fine with everyone reading and watching something unique, and it's far more busy than a meet up thread would be.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't frequent the Anime/Manga thread, but I suppose you're right.  So yeah, I guess it would probably work.

• Thumbs Up 1

@ Akito: I don't think competition would be an inherent issue with a megathread because every meeting is a closed system on account of no one can be in two places at once. So with me being in Atlanta nearly all the time, the discussions concerning the Boston meet-up are not going to get my attention anyway.

A fair point indeed. Such an issue would only become possible in Summer anyway where free time is suddenly saturating everyone's schedules, but even then, as said, the quotes system would do its part to keep things in good order.

Theoretically speaking, if any meetup did become large enough that it was starting to eat the entire thread, it could always get its own thread, as happens whenever a conversation drifts off-topic anyway (well, not technically off-topic but you understand what I mean).

I know there's got to be someone other than me in Texas. Specifically around Dallas because this state is fucking huge and each major cuty is separated by 100s of miles of nothing.

Edited by Scootaloo

I'd like to point out that the Art Commission thread is, itself, problematic in a number of ways :

1) its heavily reliant on the original poster going back to edit the original post. Which in many cases they may not bother doing (as of writing original post on said thread hasn't been updated since February). The original post could (and likely will) also contain redundant information (as is the case with the thread in question). Although I suppose that's less of a problem with meets as the dates pass

2) it doesn't exactly promote discussion.

So, yea, personally I'm all for the sub forum idea instead. With a dedicated moderator who will feel motivated to frequently take care of it.

Edited by HelenBaby

I'd like to point out that the Art Commission thread is, itself, problematic in a number of ways :

1) its heavily reliant on the original poster going back to edit the original post. Which in many cases they may not bother doing (as of writing original post on said thread hasn't been updated since February). The original post could (and likely will) also contain redundant information (as is the case with the thread in question). Although I suppose that's less of a problem with meets as the dates pass

2) it doesn't exactly promote discussion.

So, yea, personally I'm all for the sub forum idea instead. With a dedicated moderator who will feel motivated to frequently take care of it.

How exactly is it redundant? YOU are supposed to post your prices IN the thread, then I'll get around to updating the main post with who is offering them so people can browse the topic for what they want, the topic isn't a "gateway for discussion" if someone is interested in your work, then they are obligated to PM'ing them for further details or exchanging contact details to discuss via PM, it's NOT for posting/discussing client's commissions into the topic itself, because it'll then become a cluster fuck.

It's for advertisement only, if you don't like how it works then don't post in it? Find some other place that is more suited to your needs.

Edited by Super Soniko

You'll get round to it? In another 5 months? ;)

See, this is what I mean.

Also, if you recall I didn't post in it.

I personally believe a commissions thread should contain discussion. And this is even more true of a meets thread. Although I suppose this point is partly covered by the quoting system point made earlier, but that's still not ideal really.

I will concede, though, that a mega thread would be better than the current system. I just don't want to see a repeat situation where its neglected for months on end...

Edited by HelenBaby