Awoo.

SSMB's Video Game Deals

Autosaver

Literally all he said is he bought $2000 worth of games.

If that's bragging remind me to never mention when I get something cool.

Yeah I mean I really don't give a fuck about it anymore lol.

Nep's post is full of factual errors and faulty comparisons. I'm not going to bother going through it because I think it's being overblown but one factual error is that he's taking me saying that I bought $2000 worth of video games as spending $2000. He's also trying to spin that as me lying and not being honest. I even told him this yesterday and he's still bringing it up. The fuck?

When a huge portion of your post is dedicated to slamming me for something I never said and something I already clarified to you yesterday should I bother?

iEP5eYx.png

That is the very first status I posted.

I'm also not sure why I need to explain everything I do on the equivalent of a Twitter feed. I didn't think people would care that much. People brag about getting discounts and insane deals all the time. The only rubbing it in I can see is when people were playing along with me which I played along back.

• Thumbs Up 4

"You guys are gonna be paying $70 on release. Meanwhile I pretty much paid $20 per game. ;)"

The winky face seems to imply that it was a joke.

Didn't he say he would sell it for $50 or $55 short after anyway?

6088138d17dc29f57118bac67085253f.png

And at that he does it at a moderate price range so people can save on the games as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, I'm really not seeing how Autosaver bragged about this. At least, to the massive level some of you guys are trying to portray it. I mean, he might have bragged a little but some of you have blown that so out of proportion that you'd think he was grabbing the games and throwing them straight at your face while shouting ''LOOK AT THESE GAMES. LOOK AT THEM NOW!''

As for others claiming that this thread has been turned into a circus and this that and the other, there's two sides doing that. Don't try to blame it on one side because it takes two to tango and it most definitely takes two sides to blow this whole thing to this proportion.

On another note, I'm not sure if this counts as a deal but it's been confirmed that if you have the PS4 Version of Octodad Dadliest Catch, you'll get the PS Vita version free with Cross Buy.

• Thumbs Up 6

Wait, what games retail at $70?

That's what people should be offended by, the fuck is this bullshit?

$60 game + tax = about $70.

Online you're not charged tax.

he was grabbing the games and throwing them straight at your face while shouting ''LOOK AT THESE GAMES. LOOK AT THEM NOW!''

Honestly I did do this at one point as a joke. But I mean is anyone really jealous that over 20 years I have a pile of video games? People have posted bigger collections on here before. Not that impressive.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, holy crap, you guys. As the apparently eternally neutral party, I guess I have to give my extremely neutral two cents.

Who freaking cares.

No, don't misread me. I get it if you have ethical concerns. I also get it if you applaud him. But why are we arguing about this? This is a matter of Autosaver's personal finance and family relationships. Why do any of us need to get involved to the point of jumping down each other's throats? Why even bother going out of your way to defend him? This has nothing to do with me and it has nothing to do with you unless the "you" reading this is Autosaver himself. I can't get mad here. It's not my business. I just don't care.

Are we looking for excuses to argue and build up animosity at this point? I really hope I'm not making things worse by posting this. I'm just getting kind of fed up.

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Absolutely 1

$60 game + tax = about $70.

Online you're not charged tax.

Honestly I did do this at one point as a joke. But I mean is anyone really jealous that over 20 years I have a pile of video games? People have posted bigger collections on here before. Not that impressive.

Oh ok

you scared the hell out of me, I thought gaming really had died

• Thumbs Up 2

First of all, I'm a fucking girl.

Second of all, you know where I was yesterday? Spending time with family and friends during a Memorial Day barbecue, toting my brother to and fro, and treating his hangover. So saying you told me you spent $1000 in that status yesterday is fucking bollocks. I don't peruse your status updates.

Third of all, you're still acting like people using coupons or people finding nice and legitimate deals is the equivalent of buying up enough games to equal roughly $2000 in value in a single sitting (because most people around here don't have that kind of money sitting around even if they did see the deal), and that the second response in that status wasn't bragging at all. If you intended for it to be a joke, so be it. People joke about anything and everything, but to argue that you weren't flaunting what you purchased in any way whatsoever isn't believable.

The winky face seems to imply that it was a joke.
Didn't he say he would sell it for $50 or $55 short after anyway?
6088138d17dc29f57118bac67085253f.png

And at that he does it at a moderate price range so people can save on the games as well.

You realize that reply is like, several tens of responses in from the initial point of miscommunication, right?. In fact, after he said "I can technically flip them" I asked for further clarification on whether or not he was going to sell them (because people running a business doesn't offend me; who knew). After that, we debated the actual business sense of how he was going to profit, which again was further made ambiguous with the use of the $2000 number. It didn't make sense to me to spend that much and only take in estimated revenue of $1500.

Edited by Nepenthe

Ha T-Min this place is like a boiling pot of animosity over the years due to myriad of things. I just see this as adding more spice to the pot.

I'm with you though, I don't have a direct reasoning to be mad about this. With that said, I totally understand the feelings on both sides of the coin. I can't muster up and energy to do so. I'm really apathetic to it.

• Thumbs Up 3

As for the "private business" argument...

1. The information was revealed publicly, which opens it to public criticism. If I said "I decided not to study for my final exam" in a status update, you would similarly be able to tell me that's rather poor decision making of mine. I can't hide behind "it's my business" anymore, because I made it the public's business by disclosing it.
2. This isn't some site where we all are in our own cubicle. This is a community. We may want to scream at each other over the stupidest things at times, but the basic idea here is that there will be mutual respect; this is why blatant flaming gets you punished and even permanently removed from this community. You ultimately have obligations to any community you are part of. One of the easiest obligations to any community is "don't be disrespectful." When you are in a community made of people from diverse backgrounds, from the very rich to the very poor, it's very rude to openly discuss your income and expenditures. It is no different than being in a multiracial community and saying racial slurs; it's a lack of basic respect. 

It doesn't matter if you were poor or not, or if you made a great financial decision. When there are plenty of people who still struggle financially, it's rather improper to proclaim you've spent a sum of money most people don't come into on a daily basis.

Let inference do its job. If I take a dozen trips every year, you can infer I'm probably loaded. I don't need to say I make $150,000 or something similar; you already inferred I'm not exactly poor. It seems weird, but avoiding exact numbers does a lot to reduce the flak you will get for purchasing decisions. For all you know, those dozen trips might have been due to some sort of sweepstakes or something, so it doesn't equate to a "I have a lot more money than you" statement by default.

But anyway, I second Azookara's remark that discussion be kept respectful.

That's the stores problem.

It's pretty obvious that was not the intended purpose of the sale.

You are acting in bad faith. Just because it's legal does not make it right.

And ripping off a major store. lol. Won't someone please think of Best Buy!???

At what point does it become just to rip off a company on the basis they have the funds to absorb the loss? 100,000 in sales? 1,000,000? 100,000,000?

I'm a small business owner and I dislike this idea that at some point it becomes just to rob me because I'm successful. No. It will always be theft no matter how rich or poor I am. I pay more in taxes than everyone else, so I'm already absorbing a loss that only I can afford.

If I'm the owner of a multi-million dollar company, and I catch an employee stealing, his ass is grass. I don't care how much he argues "well you won't notice it." Same goes for a customer walking in and shoplifting. He is taking what is not his, period.

Business is a two-sided street. The businessman provides goods for an agreeable value and promises to not engage in deceit, and the customer agrees to pay this fair value. If I took a check for goods, and the customer purposely made it bounce and walked off, he'd still be a jerk, regardless of if it was my fault or not for taking the check when there was risk.

Trust is the basis of business. Exploiting glitches, shoplifting, and all the rest undermine this trust. They lead to increased spending on various security measures which in turn raise prices for everyone else.

Let me bring this back to the main topic however, avoiding my pet peeve there. Assume 1,000 more people did this. Best Buy just lost a shit ton of money, and they're going to find ways to recoup it somewhere, either by laying off employees or raising prices on other products. This sort of act is wrong in and of itself regardless of if the consequences are negligible.

Immanuel Kant had it more or less right. Something is just only if every person in society could do it without society falling apart.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm neutral on this but I don't think he was bragging... It was pretty obvious (to me) he was joking up until one of the members said Autosaver "repulsed" them.

The way I see it, it's kind of the same thing as saying they won a sweepstakes for a luxury cruise and vacation to the Bahamas or something. That'd be even more expensive than these video games (it was like $1000+ for my family on the cheapest cruise we could find, Carnival IIRC). I wouldn't call anyone out because they said that.

But I could be misreading the whole thing so IDK

• Thumbs Up 2

The only thing that really irks me about this is spending $1000 on your mother's credit card upfront. This could affect your mother's credit score/report negatively which is something that you really don't want to do. While you did save money in the long run, the upfront cost without any kind of mitigation is massive but that's really the only legitimate issue here. Using the discount glitch is a grey area that I don't really have anything to comment on and I don't see what's wrong with sharing about your haul as long as it doesn't border into bragging territory (which I can't really say it has).

Edit: Nevermind, complete payment isn't upfront.

• Thumbs Up 3

Winning a jackpot prize isn't an equivalent of what happened here, because Best Buy wasn't hosting a contest with the reward being $2000 store credit on games. And really, the only time people en masse get angry at contests is if something morally or legally unscrupulous happens as a result of or in the aftermath of one, because people generally understand the nature and terms of a contest and can differentiate that from someone taking advantage of an error.

Indeed, had we literally been told up front it was for a business venture and he left out the ways that the games were purchased, I can probably guarantee no one would've batted an eye.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only thing that really irks me about this is spending $1000 on your mother's credit card upfront. This could affect your mother's credit report negatively and you really don't want to do that.

I didn't actually spend $1000 yet, all what happens is there is a hold on the card. This is 2 years worth of video games. 24 months. That's about $40 per a month with the spread of games. I'll make the money back too eventually. 

My Dad is a business owner. We don't have credit issues.

Call it backseat modding or whatever but at this point, I think it's best for everyone to drop this or if anyone feels the need to keep up a fight, please discuss it in PMs or Skype, or something private. The entire thread has ended up derailed for at least 3 pages, and the only thing has been overwhelming negativity between both sides. I'm saying this as someone who feels that both sides are at fault for keeping this argument going for so long, so at this point, it's best to just let everyone cool off for a bit and try to get this thread back to the normal discussion. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The only thing that really irks me about this is spending $1000 on your mother's credit card upfront. This could affect your mother's credit score/report negatively which is something that you really don't want to do. While you did save money in the long run, the upfront cost without any kind of mitigation is massive but that's really the only legitimate issue here. Using the discount glitch is a grey area that I don't really have anything to comment on and I don't see what's wrong with sharing about your haul as long as it doesn't border into bragging territory (which I can't really say it has).

You gotta remember that a lot of the things he got were things that haven't come out yet though so he hasn't really paid a whole 1000 dollars up front, the money is used sure but it won't actually come out of the account until those games drop so in reality he hasn't actually spent all that money yet and like he said if he hadn't taken this deal now he would've spent more money on the respective release days for those games.

Edit: aaaannndd ninja'd by auto, darn it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta spend money to make money.

You'd shit your pants if you saw how much restocking normally costs.

If SEGA announced the next Sonic game we wouldn't be in this situation.

thanks obama

• Thumbs Up 4

As for the "private business" argument...

1. The information was revealed publicly, which opens it to public criticism. If I said "I decided not to study for my final exam" in a status update, you would similarly be able to tell me that's rather poor decisionmaking of mine. I can't hide behind "it's my business" anymore, because I made it the public's business by disclosing it.

2. This isn't some site where we all are in our own cubicle. This is a community. We may want to scream at each other over the stupidest things at times, but the basic idea here is that there will be mutual respect; this is why blatant flaming gets you punished and even permanently removed from this community. You ultimately have obligations to any community you are part of. One of the easiest obligations to any community is "don't be a douche." When you are in a community made of people from diverse backgrounds, from the very rich to the very poor, it's very rude to openly discuss your income and expenditures. It is no different than being in a multiracial community and saying racial slurs; it's a lack of basic respect.

It doesn't matter if you were poor or not, or if you made a great financial decision. When there are plenty of people who still struggle financially, it's rather crass to proclaim you've spent a sum of money most people don't come into on a daily basis.

Let inference do its job. If I take a dozen trips every year, you can infer I'm probably loaded. I don't need to say I make $150,000 or something similar; you already inferred I'm not exactly poor. It seems weird, but avoiding exact numbers does a lot to reduce the flak you will get for purchasing decisions. For all you know, those dozen trips might have been due to some sort of sweepstakes or something, so it doesn't equate to a "I have a lot more money than you" statement by default.

It's pretty obvious that was not the intended purpose of the sale.

You are acting in bad faith. Just because it's legal does not make it right.

At what point does it become just to rip off a company on the basis they have the funds to absorb the loss? 100,000 in sales? 1,000,000? 100,000,000?

I'm a small business owner and I dislike this idea that at some point it becomes just to rob me because I'm successful. No. It will always be theft no matter how rich or poor I am. I pay more in taxes than everyone else, so I'm already absorbing a loss that only I can afford.

If I'm the owner of a multi-million dollar company, and I catch an employee stealing, his ass is grass. I don't care how much he argues "well you won't notice it." Same goes for a customer walking in and shoplifting. He is taking what is not his, period.

Business is a two-sided street. The businessman provides goods for an agreeable value and promises to not engage in deceit, and the customer agrees to pay this fair value. If I took a check for goods, you purposely made it bounce and walked off, you'd still be a jerk, regardless of if it was my fault or not for taking the check when there was risk.

Trust is the basis of business. Exploiting glitches, shoplifting, and all the rest undermine this trust. They lead to increased spending on various security measures which in turn raise prices for everyone else.

Let us think about this here. Assume 1,000 more people did this. Best Buy just lost a shit ton of money, and they're going to find ways to recoup it somewhere, either by laying off employees or raising prices on other products. This sort of act is wrong in and of itself regardless of if the consequences are negligible.

There's no cutoff point, it's common sense. Best Buy can absorb the loss. Don't pretend they can't.

And no, I feel no remorse taking advantage of the error of a multi billion dollar corporation because I'm not ignorant of the world we live in and I know they're disgustingly corrupt anyway. Following politics for more than three seconds is a pretty easy way to stop giving a shit about being nice to unfathomably rich old white farts when they make a mistake.

Comparing taking advantage of a pricing error and the legal transaction it encompasses to fucking shoplifting is hilarious to me.

• Thumbs Up 8

The thing with that is, the people in charge aren't really going to care in the slightest, at least long-term. Whoever's responsible for whatever went wrong with the site is the one person most in trouble here; granted they're probably gonna be in trouble even if nobody took advantage of it, but yeah. "LET'S STICK IT TO THE MAN" is a sentiment I can understand given the society we live in and the kind of shit companies pull, but something like this (or shoplifting for that matter) isn't going to really effect them in the grand scheme of things.

Anyway, yeah, as time went on I became more and more uncomfortable with Autosaver's side of things, but...whatever. Refer to Azoo's post I guess. I'm more annoyed at the people on the sidelines being melodramatic about this being a "war" or something (seriously, according to certain people in the statuses, it's the end of the world in here or something) and judging people for being upset no matter their reasons, and all that fun stuff.

Edited by Celestia

I swear man I was laughing so hard when I was reading some posts at Auto's status lol.

I just can't believe that some people are really getting upset by this. It's HIS money. He should manage it the way he wants. Like come on guys, y'all serious?

Again, jealously kills, everyone.

But... it wasn't his money.