Awoo.

Disney's Zootopia (2016)

The Kid

ZootopiaConceptArtSig_zps6851e3fc.png

Walt Disney Animation Studios' director Byron Howard (Tangled) and writer Jared Bush shared plans for the upcoming comedy adventure Zootopia (working title). In the animal city of Zootopia, a fast-talking fox who's trying to make it big goes on the run when he's framed for a crime he didn't commit. Zootopia's top cop, a self-righteous rabbit, is hot on his tail, but when both become targets of a conspiracy, they're forced to team up and discover even natural enemies can become best friends. In theaters in 2016.

Via MovieWeb.

The origins of Zootopia go back to Disney’s 1973 animated Robin Hood, featuring a host of creatures great and small, acting out the roles in that classic story. When Tangled director Byron Howard proposed a new animated film populated entirely by anthropomorphic animals, he said Lasseter “lifted me in the air like a baby Simba,” from The Lion King.
We’ve seen animals in the natural word and animals in the human world, “but we’ve never seen animals in a modern world designed by animals.” The plot is a buddy movie about a smooth fox named Nick Wilde and a rabbit cop named Lt. Judy Hops (no voice talent was announced for the 2016 title).
Howard and writer Jared Bush did share how various wildlife experts helped shape the characters. They showed concept art of a studious-looking wildebeest in a three-piece suit with glasses, but were warned that those animals are “impossibly stupid,” Bush said. So that character changed into a dopey, slack-jawed yokel named Gnu-pid.
They also displayed concept images of Zootopia’s title city. “One of the key concepts is if you squint at any frame of film you might think you’re looking at an animal in a natural environment,” Howard said.
He then showed a frame of a snow-covered Alpine mountain, which faded into an irregularly shaped white pyramid luxury hotel.
Just like New York has Chinatown and Little Italy, Zootopia has distinct regional neighborhoods like Tundratown, Sahara Square, Little Rodenta (the bad part of town, populated by vermin), and Burrowborough, populated by millions of bunnies.
They also showcased one more character: Gazelle, a creature named after her own species, who is an outspoken mega pop star — depicted in various outrageous outfits a la Lady Gaga.
And the major metropolitan newspaper in town? The Wall Street Gerbil. Obviously.

Via Entertainment Weekly.

Zootopia is probably the movie I'm most excited for coming from Disney in the next few years. At first it sounds like it could be nothing more than a bundle of cheap animal puns, but with Robin Hood as the inspiration, Byron Howard (Tangled) as the director, and after showing off that concept art... I think this might end up being one of my favorite Disney films.

This is the only information so far, but I'll make sure to update the topic when more is released.

So what does everyone else think?

Edited by The Kid
  • Thumbs Up 8

I'm wondering if it will be traditionally or computer animated. I'm not one of those purists, so it doesn't bother me either way, but this kind of thing seems like it would be better done in 2D.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm wondering if it will be traditionally or computer animated. I'm not one of those purists, so it doesn't bother me either way, but this kind of thing seems like it would be better done in 2D.

Same here. That piece of art up there makes me reallly want this to be 2D, especially since I cant imagine all the anthro characters looking good in 3D. Whenever I picture a 3D model the Fox guy there in my head I just get disturbed.

its so hairy

Edited by Enderwoman

A fast-talking rabbit who's trying to make it big goes on the run when he's framed for a crime he didn't commit. Hollywood's top cop, a self-righteous Eddie Valiant, is hot on his tail, but when both become targets of a conspiracy, they're forced to team up and discover even natural enemies can become best friends.

who-framed-roger-rabbit.jpg?w=300&h=0&zc

That honestly probably has little bearing on the actual plot of this film, from the rest of the description and that neat bit of concept art, this looks like an exceptionally radical take on the talking animals genre that was big before the late 2000s. I'll be looking forward to further news.

Edited by Place
  • Thumbs Up 2

The smart thing to do is to use the same animation as paperman, hell that is how Frozen should be being animated right now, IMO.

They have my curiosity. I doubt it's going to be 2D animated, but, eh, there is still hope.

Edited by Duck Avenger

Disney threw out a number of their staff in their traditional animation department earlier this year, so it's safe to say this will not be traditionally animated.

I do hope it's animated in a 2D style with CG graphics like Paperman was though.

I've been thinking on and off for years why we don't get more big-budget animated films where the animals are more humanized instead of more naturalized. You can cite furry fears but Kung Fu Panda seems to get on by without that shtick bogging down its mass appeal. Overall though, I'm happy to see we're getting another. x3

I'd assume so at this point. I mean the film is probably still in early production. But it has the guy behind Tangled on it, and is supposed to remind us of films like Robin Hood before Disney's Renaissance, so I'm at least a little hyped.

Also being a furry means anything with a fox in it catches my attention.

• Thumbs Up 1

according to the concept art, it looks like a clone of Kung Fu Panda. 

.....What....?

I mean, I guess it has anthropomorphic animals like Kung Fu Panda....and a lot of other things...

according to the concept art, it looks like a clone of Kung Fu Panda. 

You do realize several Disney movies like say robin hood did the whole anthro in a human time period years before dreamworks did. a couple similar peices does not mean its a clone

Except there is no kung fu, Ancient China setting, and (most likely) no pandas.

But yes, besides all that, almost an exact copy.

Edited by The Kid
  • Thumbs Up 2

I've been thinking on and off for years why we don't get more big-budget animated films where the animals are more humanized instead of more naturalized. You can cite furry fears but Kung Fu Panda seems to get on by without that shtick bogging down its mass appeal. Overall though, I'm happy to see we're getting another. x3

I kinda think it's silly if people involved with a project are afraid of furries (Which is probably why movies like this are so rare nowadays...) Pretty much everything you can think of, there's always a few or more people getting off on it, so this shouldn't be any different.

But anyways... The premise sound a little generic to me, but seeing as how Disney's track record with animated films has been pretty successful so far, I'm definitely willing to give this movie a shot.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

Wait, Disney is creating another ORIGINAL story?

so-much-win-crying-awesome-face-tRTqLt.j

This would probably make me a Disney fan now.

Edited by novelty

I really don't think any company is afraid of making a product with anthro animals because of "furry fears". If anything it'd be like with the MLP fandom where people would try to capitalize off of it.

Besides, people who truly think furries are these perverts that get off to cartoon characters constantly, they need to have their heads examined.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't believe I'm just seeing this now, homigosh.

Pretty excited for it for obvious reasons. I really like the art style in that pic and hope the whole movie follows this tone.

Oh, do I hope this is done in traditional animation. With the art style in that pic, I just can't see it in GCI. Unless it's done in the style of Paperman. That would be pretty snazzy. Moving away from the animation style, I am liking the concept very much. I await 2016.

Hmm...doesn't look like anything special. I'll give it a chance though. It can be as bad as Planes, that's for sure...