Awoo.

Sega Reborn: Golden Axe "What do you mean this was cancelled?"

Badnik Mechanic

Sega Australia is a division of sega thats made some... ok games? The last game it's going to make is the Castle of Illusion remake which is due for release this/next week.

But, it seems like Sega Australia had a bit of an epic idea which even entered the pre-alpha stage, however it was cancelled. The idea was called 'Sega Reborn.' it was a project which would reimagine/re-release classic Sega franchises to an 'up to date' standard.

However, the interesting bit... they would all be set in the same universe. Like Marvel or Pixar movies.

So say you have the guys from Golden Axe taking out Death Adder, hundreds of years later, Axel and Blaze are hitting the streets of rage. Heck during the beach stage Outrun could drive past.

But, it's been cancelled, along with Sega Australia this idea has been canned too. Though from what I know about Sega, the whole 'same universe' thing is probably reason why it's been cancelled. Since the IP owners of the different franchises probably wouldn't like the idea of other franchises creeping into theirs.

Now, who would like to see pre-alpha video of the Golden Axe remake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITuSQLRNt_s

Streets of Rage and Shinobi were also planned.

I think for pre-alpha, thats quite a decent thing, it certainly looks like an upto date golden axe and once you add more characters you've got the variety, magic isn't used but clearly is intended to be... getting a mild Dragons Crown vibe from it.

Alas, cancelled.

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/08/27/sega-australias-crazy-pitch-for-remaking-sega-classics/

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd wager a guess that it was cancelled not due to the same universe idea (at this was a pitch, that sort of stuff is easily changed), but rather due to the fact that this is SEGA Australia. SEGA Australia is smaller than and far removed from the SEGA's other studios across the world. Communication on a project like this would be difficult. That's probably got something to do with the closure of SEGA Aus' as a whole really. Though, the Castle of Illusion remake is probably related to this pitch.

So Golden Axe Reborn... erm. I don't know what to think of it. An awesome idea, but from the looks of it the execution isn't there. It's hard to say though since this is just a pitch and any number of things could have changed or been planned but not put into place yet. Kinda just looks a bit... bland? I dunno. It's not right.

Edited by Blue Blood

Communication on a project like this would be difficult. That's probably got something to do with the closure of SEGA Aus' as a whole really. Though, the Castle of Illusion remake is probably related to this pitch.

It's the year of our lord 2013. If you want to communicate to another team just call them over Skype or something or use google + hangouts I don't know. That's not really an excuse. If they were going to cut SEGA australia for any reason it's because probably, they don't have any particularly valuable talent and when SEGA gets tight on cash they're going to cut a whatever kind of studio before they cut Sonic Team, for example. 

It's the year of our lord 2013. If you want to communicate to another team just call them over Skype or something or use google + hangouts I don't know. That's not really an excuse. If they were going to cut SEGA australia for any reason it's because probably, they don't have any particularly valuable talent and when SEGA gets tight on cash they're going to cut a whatever kind of studio before they cut Sonic Team, for example. 

Language is still an issue. Actual face to face contact is still an issue. The individual IP holders would likely want to have a lot to say about their properties, which is of course going to be more difficult if purely done online. 2013 doesn't mean that international communication difficulties are a thing of the past. Yes, cuts are almost certainly the main reason that SEGA Aus is being closed down, but communication issues with the small studio wouldn't exactly play in their favour. SSA is a part of SEGA Europe. It's a big gap between them both, and then between SoE and SoJ. They'd have a very hard time working everything out and reaching mutual decisions.

Looking into their history, SSA has had very little to do with SoJ's business. They've always been focused more on the Western side of SEGA's endeavours. This would be a big upheaval to that.

Edited by Blue Blood

So....that's how many now? I've lost ocunt....four or five attempts to reboot Streets of Rage that have all fallen flat....why do Sega both love and hate that game so much :P

As for this incarnation, I'd have been on board, I misread the "same universe" thing at first, I thought it meant the new games would be in the same universe as the old titles, sequels or sidequels rather than straight reboots. I'm not sure how much I like the idea of SoR being in the same world as Golden Axe, the real life/fantasy thing would clash too much for me (not that sor was particularly realistic mind) but it could have worked with outrun/sor I guess.

It's such a shame these projects never seem to go anywhere, I need more SoR dammit