Awoo.

Mighty No.9 - New Inafune title!

Meow

Nope. the only people to get retail copies are the ones who met that criteria with their donation.

Am I the only one who thinks Inafune has become a major egotistical guy ever since he left Capcom?

• Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who thinks Inafune has become a major egotistical guy ever since he left Capcom?

Egotistical, really? I wouldn't say that...I just think he's doing too many things at the same time, like he wants Mighty No. 9 to become a big franchise or something. And now he's asking for more money to support all this, which is making him look greedy too!

Also isn't there that other Megaman esque game that Inafune is working on? So that's two projects and a cartoon, sheesh.

Nope.

I used to respect him, so I really felt strongly about him taking this opportunity to milk the crowd-funding cow, but he no longer deserves my respect.

Egotistical, really? I wouldn't say that...I think he's just doing too many things at the same time, like he wants Mighty No. 9 to become a franchise or something. And now he's asking for more money to support all this!

Also isn't there that other Megaman esque game that Inafune is working on? So that's two projects and a cartoon, sheesh.

Except it's been stated that none of this money being raised currently is going towards the show, or this other game. It is all strictly going to Mighty No. 9.

Getting $4,000,000 dollars is fucking insane for a simple platformer, but asking for more is just shitty.

I'm all for this. Hopefully this franchise's Dr. Wily expy will be well-written and get plenty of screentime in the cartoon. I definitely sense potential here.

Man, it's like we're having a renaissance of video game cartoon adaptations lately. 

I'm not seeing the problem here, the money raised before is going to the game and the game only your all still getting what you want, the money raised here is going to the tv series only. if you don't want to fund the TV series then don't, I'm not but stop lumping both sets of funds as if they were 1 thing, they already said that its not.

Really, are we going to blow this up into an issue like the whole Dina thing?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not seeing the problem here, the money raised before is going to the game and the game only your all still getting what you want, the money raised here is going to the tv series only. if you don't want to fund the TV series then don't, I'm not but stop lumping both sets of funds as if they were 1 thing, they already said that its not.

Where did they say this money is going to the TV show?

Yes they said that the present money will cover the game, but they didn't say this money ISN'T going into the game, and I don't recall them saying anywhere that this new funding's for the show.

Watched Inafune's new crowd funding video and... No. I've liked what I've seen of the game so far, I think it'll be a great title but I'm not giving more money to it. Especially for something so unimportant like English voice acting of all things. Now if this was for say The Mighty number Apples I might change my tune, might being the key word.

And on the topic of the cartoon, meh. It's just a shinier CG cartoon based off a videogame. Nothing I'm really interested in but then it's not for me.

We formed this plan as a result of all of the slacker backers that contacted us after the Kickstarter campaign looking to contribute. But let’s make this crystal clear: this new funding campaign is for bonus content in the Mighty No. 9 video game. We are reaching out to current backers, but even more so to those who missed out on the Kickstarter campaign for a chance to put even more features in this jam-packed game.Any new funding will NOT go towards existing content in the current state of the game, but bonus content to be implemented into the title.

None of it is going to the show. It is all going to the game.

This is way too much money for a game this simple.

Source

• Thumbs Up 3

I might like the cartoon, I just hope Beck actually speaks. I don't like that weird mumbling thing he does, like in older Lego games.

I might like the cartoon, I just hope Beck actually speaks. I don't like that weird mumbling thing he does, like in older Lego games.

The show's 2 years away, I don't think people realize this.

Perhaps they haven't found an actor yet, who knows.

The show's 2 years away, I don't think people realize this.

Perhaps they haven't found an actor yet, who knows.

I realize that just fine, thank you. And anyway, he has to have a voice actor, otherwise he wouldn't be making any sounds at all.

2 years away? That's a long wait! Oh well, here's hoping it'll be worth it! *knock on wood*

While I'm kinda "eh" on the idea of it getting another fundraiser, yeah games are expensive. I think the main difference between Mighty No. 9 ($4mil) and Shantae, is that Comcast is fresh blood, and Wayforward is a longterm industry member. They have funding, they just needed a little help to make a project on a scale they're not usually making. They regularly make their own little projects, so it's not like WayForward had to start with scratch on Shantae like Comcast do with MN9.

• Thumbs Up 5

None of it is going to the show. It is all going to the game.

This is way too much money for a game this simple.

Source

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't mean to come as a jerk by saying this but do you even know if anything there doing in this game is simple or if all this money isn't necessary for whatever they're doing for it? I know this stuff may seem simple to us but not all games are as simple as they may seem and they cost a lot more to make than you may think and while I don't know everything myself I do trust the professionals who have been in this profession longer than you, me and everyone else here. Sides, its not like you actually need to fund anything, its just an extra funding campaign to add more things to an already content packed game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't take this the wrong way and I don't mean to come as a jerk by saying this but do you even know if anything there doing in this game is simple or if all this money isn't necessary for whatever they're doing for it? I know this stuff may seem simple to us but not all games are as simple as they may seem and they cost a lot more to make than you may think and while I don't know everything myself I do trust the professionals who have been in this profession longer than you, me and everyone else here. Sides, its not like you actually need to fund anything, its just an extra funding campaign to add more things to an already content packed game.

There are much shorter ways to ask if I know what the fuck I'm talking about. Yes, I do.

Look at these stretch goals, directly from the KickStarter page:

MNO9_goals_thumb.jpg

Look at this shit.

Notice the increments of 100's of thousands of dollars. The "Making-of Documentary " goal is set at $1,750,000 dollars, the "Boss Rush" goal is set at $2,000,000 dollars. That is a difference of $250,000 dollars.

You cannot sit there and tell me it would cost Inafune $250,000 just to send you through areas that have already been created and fight bosses they are already developing without the extra $250,000.

There are tons of examples of this shit just on this list of stretch goals alone ($100,000 for Chiptune soundtrack, $200,000 for a vague support character, $200,000 for a challenge mode). Either Inafune has no clue how to handle money, or he's pocketing a good deal of this cash.

I read through the FAQ entirely now and from what I understand the show has nothing to do with this new Kickstarter, this is mainly aimed at newcomers who missed out on the first one. again, not a big deal there was people who wanted to donate after the 1st one was over anyways.

The show itself, they didn't go actively looking for a tv series someone wanted to make a tv show for them

JAiRO, I'm not sure you understand how much it costs to develop a game.

Good lord. This isn't Grand Theft Auto 5, this isn't Super Mario 3D World, this isn't some huge AAA title. This is a downloadable title, save for those backers who payed enough for a retail release.

The goal for the initial KickStarter was $900,000 dollars. Which means this game could be made with $900,000 dollars.

You're right, I don't know how much it costs to develop a video game, but Inafune told us in plain fucking English that this one would cost $900,000.

We are now $3,100,000 dollars past that, and he is telling us that our 100's of thousands of dollars are going towards the most trivial, basic of shit.

You are assuming that every single bit of money is going exclusively toward the goals and not the game in other ways. Of course boss rush doesn't cost 250k. The stretch goals are there to motivate people to fund it, not as a way of saying "this is exactly what this costs." 

To suggest that Inafune is either incompetent or personally pocketing the money is an incredibly bold claim, so I'm gonna go ahead and say that you actually don't know what you're talking about. 

Then I wish he would tell us where the rest of this money is going. We have been kept largely in the dark about this game.

EDIT: Saying a game developer is incompetent isn't a bold claim. I will apologize about saying he may be personally pocketing the money though.

Good post Solly, I have a feeling alot of people don't know what they are talking about. I don't know much about game development so I keep my mouth shut so I don't sound too stupid.

However, a kickstarter goal isn't what "this is exactly what the money is used for". It's more like "if you give us money to make the game we'll give you this as thanks". I don't know how much these things would really cost so I'm keeping my tongue bit

Good lord. This isn't Grand Theft Auto 5, this isn't Super Mario 3D World, this isn't some huge AAA title. This is a downloadable title, save for those backers who payed enough for a retail release.

The goal for the initial KickStarter was $900,000 dollars. Which means this game could be made with $900,000 dollars.

You're right, I don't know how much it costs to develop a video game, but Inafune told us in plain fucking English that this one would cost $900,000.

The base game could be made with $900,000 and would be made even if only that goal was reached, I'm not sure what the problem is? Additional work costs additional money, that's not weird either. All that stuff is bonus, it's not needed for the game, it's more like "if you'd like us to develop this stuff too you can give us more money".

It's lame for them to open a new funder, but in the end they're not forcing anyone to pay for it. The funding, as it stands, is going to lead to a game that's packed with content.

Also, I think GTA5 probably cost far far far more to develop than you can imagine. Games cost a lot to make.

EDIT: Stuff that's always handy when discussing thinking indie game development is "too much"

It cost them $28,000,000 to make a AAA PS2 game (imagine how much it would cost today)

It cost them at $950,000 to create a single character in an FPS ($175,000 just to reskin)

• Thumbs Up 2

The base game could be made with $900,000 and would be made even if only that goal was reached, I'm not sure what the problem is? Additional work costs additional money, that's not weird either. All that stuff is bonus, it's not needed for the game, it's more like "if you'd like us to develop this stuff too you can give us more money".

It's lame for them to open a new funder, but in the end they're not forcing anyone to pay for it. The funding, as it stands, is going to lead to a game that's packed with content.

The problem is that I think $4,000,000 is way too much money for such a small scale game. I just think Inafune is being greedy asking for more after the man already has $4,000,000.

My issue is with the principle of the matter.

Also, I think GTA5 probably cost far far far more to develop than you can imagine. Games cost a lot to make.

This was my point, I said it isn't Grand Theft Auto 5. That game's budget was massive.

EDIT: God damnit. I can see I've lost this argument, I'll shut up so I don't end up feeding other members likes.