Awoo.

Building melts a guys car, sets fire to a shop, melts paint and ruins a plastic lemon. "London gots a Death Ray"

Badnik Mechanic

This image of an area where the focused sunlight hits appeared on Instagram earlier:

gJ1VHGE.jpg

It has got to be at least ten degrees hotter there than the surrounding areas.

How did nobody warn the architects that their building was going to focus sunlight into a small area and cause real damage to people's possessions? The situation can be potentially salvaged though, and without needing to put non-reflective stuff on the windows. All they need to do is have the National Grid set up a Solar Collection plant on the tops of buildings and streets where the focused light hits.

Wow, that looks blinding. I'd worry about people not being able to see where they're driving too. That's fucking bright.

• Thumbs Up 1

This image of an area where the focused sunlight hits appeared on Instagram earlier:

gJ1VHGE.jpg

Whoever left that bike there is gonna be in for a shock.

Someone should leave some bacon and eggs there and see if they'll cook.

Looks like he's gonna be taking the bus home, I be those tires are gone.

There's gonna be traffic cone coloured puddles too :P

This is fucking awesome! They need to put the whole building on a turntable so it can be focused on more than one area, it's not a very effective deathray if you have to wait for your victim to get in that one specific spot...

Apparently the magnifying glass on ants principle means nothing in some places.

I presume they'll probably modify it so that the reflected light isn't as intense. I mean, this is just ludicrous and I wouldn't be surprised if they get an injunction to do so.

"London gots a death ray." Hogfather, I love your choice of words at times.

Am I going too far by thinking maybe buildings like these could help in transforming cities into solar plants, effectively making them self-sustaining?

Edited by Palas
  • Thumbs Up 2

They can stick transparent non-reflective sheets onto the windows and that'll be that, but I'd rather see them make better use of the situation, like with my idea of creating a small solar collection plant, or perhaps they could modify the Walkie Talkie itself (adding transparent solar panel sheeting onto the windows, or something) and turn it into a more self-sustaining green building.

• Thumbs Up 3

Am I going too far by thinking maybe buildings like these could help in transforming cities into solar plants, effectively making them self-sustaining?

There's definitely something in that, hopefully they'll be able to find a solution that can make some use of this accidental well of potential. It'd be a shame if the oppertunity went to waste.

Well interestingly, the building opposite is Maplin, they are an electronics company who sell solar pannel kits... if I were the CEO of Maplin, slap some of those kids onto the front of their building for some amazing publicity.

A Death Ray in London? What is this, H.G. Wells?

Wait... The War of the Worlds... the Martains attack London with Heat Rays... Today theres a topic about how life on earth might have come from Mars.... .. .. .Oh god... It's happening!

Hahahaha.

I don't think the architects knew enough about optics to have realised that their beautifully designed building is actually exceptionally brilliant at focusing light. I'm pretty sure the Civil Engineers and builders likewise didn't have similar expertise.

Solar Panel idea is good, I guess. It would be tough to work out logistically though...

lol what a terrible design choice.

As someone who has issues looking at bright lights more than other people, having something so hot that it melts cars is really stupid. Shame too as that building looks quite nice on the outside imo.

gJ1VHGE.jpg

Imagine walking by that with a colored shirt and when you clear the area it's faded to all hell

• Thumbs Up 3

All they need to do is have the National Grid set up a Solar Collection plant on the tops of buildings and streets where the focused light hits.

GENIUS.

Nah, we'll work on a less resourceful alternative.

gJ1VHGE.jpg

I'd say it's a bit more then that. That spot looks all but as bright as my gigantic Fresnel lens, although less focused (the image might also make it look brighter).

That spot is likely uncomfortably hot for any amount of time if it's really that bright and well focused.

I can think of so many terrible fun things you could do with a few well placed lenses and that sidewalk. smile.png

Edited by SkyLlama