Awoo.

Kill La Kill

Remy

It doesn't LOOK to be insane, it IS insane and it's refreshing.

I still found it hilarious that she was so embarrassed the entire time she was fighting, despite acting like she was still an intimidating and dark character.

• Chuckle 1

It doesn't LOOK to be insane, it IS insane and it's refreshing.

I still found it hilarious that she was so embarrassed the entire time she was fighting, despite acting like she was still an intimidating and dark character.

I assume her embarrassment was from her skimpy fighting outfit?

If so then that somewhat removes one of my problems with the show that I've seen so far, that stupid/impractical-looking fanservice-y outfit. It's good that they show that she doesn't really like wearing it and they play it up in that regard as opposed to just straight fanservice. 

Edited by Chaos Warp

I assume her embarrassment was from her skimpy fighting outfit?

If so then that somewhat removes one of my problems with the show that I've seen so far, that stupid/impractical-looking fanservice-y outfit. It's good that they show that she doesn't really like wearing it and they play it up in that regard as opposed to just straight fanservice. 

Yes, she was. She had that awkward look on her face which was literally a mix of trying to be a badass while blushing profusely which was purposely done to show she was embarrassed rather than people finding something sexy about her blush, even her eyebrows were arched in that particular way which was a struggle between losing it and keeping her cool.

tumblr_mu91z2cvpl1r0pw3yo9_1280.png

I HOPE YOU ARE READY FOR TENNIS.

But anyway I fucking love this show. I love Imaishi's work, he and Takeshi Koike are the two animators in Japanese animation that I really look up to from a stylistic standpoint. They both share a lot of similar traits in regards to their use of heavy black inking and the wild perspective manipulation they use. I just can't get enough of their sense of action and particularly the really snappy and on point pacing involved with their action scenes. For me its always a spectacle to look at and I wanna make cool action comics and stuff like it. Kill La Kill's first episode was almost a nonstop train of action sequence after action sequence and so you can imagine that really pleased me, looking at the still frames that someone on tumblr has been taking has been wonderful as well.

Also Ryuko is badass, I really like her as a protagonist. I feel that even though they gave her the dead parent backstory and it is essentially a revenge quest she didn't come across to me as your typical "I hate everyone I am gonna brood and be mean and closed off to you" type protagonist. She still interacted with the other characters in a very much cool/calm demeanor until she busted out the anger directed towards the person most deserving of it. I also fully expected to go into this show hating Mako because normally I hate those cutesy anime schoolgirl sidekicks but she was actually so hilarious I couldn't help but like her. Overall I like all the characters. Oh and I also like the stupid, ridiculous, lame outfit everyone keeps panning. So sue me :P

Anyway can't wait for episode 2.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just got finished watching the first episode and I'm hooked! This anime is so crazy yet hilarious at the same time! What's not to like about it? I absolutely love the animation and characters, especially Ryuko as the protagonist. Now I can't wait for episode 2!

Sigh...

I think I'm coming around to the series after browsing the tumblr tag for a few hours, it looks entertaining and I'll probably give it a chance even though I hate the design of the student council girl (why is her chin so square and manly!?) and I still can't get over that stupid ass fucking costume, but been doing some reading up on it and it turns out it's actually a stereotype on top of stereotype in a stupid, silly way as it's trying to take the piss out of itself whilst trying to be serious, but the more I see of it the more I scoff and roll my eyes at Trigger's typical sexual flanderization in their shows.

So yeah, colour me vaguely interested... I have a horrendous habit of getting into the things I hate most times, and I think that'll be the case here so you will probably all end up calling me a hypocrite or some shit later.

But please not to the point where I'll actively avoid discussion on it...

I was hooked from the first minute. My entire body was exploding as I watched it. It was so hype, I think I had a nosebleed. Not the sexy kind, but the "holy crap I can't take this level of awesome" type. 

And I have to laugh at people bashing the costume. It's a parody of fanservice. That's the point. 

Can't wait for episode 2, and more. This is my number one anime this season for sure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So yeah, colour me vaguely interested... I have a horrendous habit of getting into the things I hate most times, and I think that'll be the case here so you will probably all end up calling me a hypocrite or some shit later.

I'll beat up anyone who does that, don't worry. Hopefully you enjoy future episodes a lot :D!

• Thumbs Up 1

Crazy FLCL shit + Protagonist is basically a Girl Kamina = SIGN ME THE FUCK UP.  Seriously, that shit was nuts.  I really hope scissor energy becomes the new spiral energy.  Yeah, the fanservice is pretty shameless, but if it's on a solid character I can get attached to for her personality alone rather than a one-dimensional submissive bimbo whose only appeal IS the fanservice, I don't really mind.  I mean, it worked for Bayonetta.

Also, it's shows like this that make me wish anime used a higher framerate.  I almost vomitted during that boxing match.

Edited by Stingray 64

Also, it's shows like this that make me wish anime used a higher framerate.  I almost vomitted during that boxing match.

Really it seems like this show spends so much of its time using very limited animation.  Like when the boxing punk reveals his true gloves there's this 25 second span where the only movement of note is his two frame mouth flap.  I guess they blew their entire budget for the episode on the important scenes of a door getting kicked in and some no name kid being beaten up.  Basically, this show just spends most of its time being ugly.  

Edited by Phos

Basically, this show just spends most of its time being ugly.  

......wha?

I guess I didn't watch the show frame by frame but it looked gernally fine and pleasing to the eye for me, I mean, im not a color buff, but still.

Edited by SoniManbeast
  • Thumbs Up 1

I guess they blew their entire budget for the episode on the important scenes of a door getting kicked in and some no name kid being beaten up.  Basically, this show just spends most of its time being ugly.  

I'm not one to defend something but...Excuse me?

You do realize that the general dullness of the environment is purposely made to be like that? Organic, having everything be bright and colourful wouldn't make any sense when the general premise is set in a dark dingey make shift school what looks to be made from scrap and random things, I mean really? A pressure valve door for a classroom? and the courtyard is nothing but sand and dirt.

It looks ugly because it's MEANT to look worn down and aged, it generally sets a standard that the people who attend the school are nothing but "no-stars" or commoners when you think about it, whilst the School council run the place and have all the best facilities and luxuries at their disposal, that and the city it's connected to is also undermined by the Academy itself so it's literally nothing but a poor city with crazy/dangerous inhabitants trying to survive.

It looks shit, because it's a shit place to live under rule of demi-god like control freaks who aren't afraid to kill anyone that speaks up, it's a city/school ruled by fear and discipline. 

• Thumbs Up 7

......wha?

I guess I didn't watch the show frame by frame but it looked gernally fine and pleasing to the eye for me, I mean, im not a color buff, but still.

I'm not one to defend something but...Excuse me?

You do realize that the general dullness of the environment is purposely made to be like that? Organic, having everything be bright and colourful wouldn't make any sense when the general premise is set in a dark dingey make shift school what looks to be made from scrap and random things, I mean really? A pressure valve door for a classroom? and the courtyard is nothing but sand and dirt.

It looks ugly because it's MEANT to look worn down and aged, it generally sets a standard that the people who attend the school are nothing but "no-stars" or commoners when you think about it, whilst the School council run the place and have all the best facilities and luxuries at their disposal, that and the city it's connected to is also undermined by the Academy itself so it's literally nothing but a poor city with crazy/dangerous inhabitants trying to survive.

It looks shit, because it's a shit place to live under rule of demi-god like control freaks who aren't afraid to kill anyone that speaks up, it's a city/school ruled by fear and discipline. 

I'm not criticizing the art direction, I mean that I don't like how this show moves.  I also can't be the only one put off by their power and seemingly also their skill coming from clothes.  

Edited by Phos

I'm not criticizing the art direction, I mean that I don't like how this show moves.  I also can't be the only one put off by their power and seemingly also their skill coming from clothes.  

Not everyone can get their powers from being a half-demon/angel/whatever or some sword.

When creating a story, you've got to have something unique that stands out from all the other stories.

I have watched this with no expectations at all. After watching Little Witch Academia months ago, the only thing it mattered to me was the studio behind it and their works. Only the title stuck on me, I didn't get to know more details.

I must say I was impressed by the animation the most, full of dynamism and crazy perspective that made the action exciting and intense. And talking about the action, it has a good amount of it, which I enjoyed.

To keep the rest short, I liked the setting and art style. The protagonist gave me a good impression, and so did the rest of the cast so far. I don't know what to say about the story, only to wait and see how it develops from now on. I enjoyed it overall, the randomness, the humor, the action.

The only problem I had, perhaps it's me though, is that it felt too fast paced. I hope that it doesn't suffer from it. But I guess is what makes it so over-the-top.

I can't say I'm totally hooked yet. Waiting for the next episode and see how it grows on me.

Quite interested in this, which surprised me because on the whole when it comes to anime, I'm as far from it as possible.

...too bad non of those streaming links work in the UK. WOOP!

Quite interested in this, which surprised me because on the whole when it comes to anime, I'm as far from it as possible.

...too bad non of those streaming links work in the UK. WOOP!

You'll just have to resort to what we have to do in the UK when Funimation hogs anime all to themselves: use an unofficial streaming website.

It's crap, while Crunchyroll has nearly all the choices the US get, we still get juped just because of where we live because of that lacking number.

It's not rocket science.

Just search Kill la Kill episode 1, you get 10 results instantly to choose from 8 )

Edited by Zeena

Just saw episode 1; Um... wow, okay... that sure was... something. The pacing felt a bit too fast for me and it comes off as trying to be silly and serious at the same time (dat outfit, man). The art style is identical to Gurren Lagann, so I already love it, but I get a lot of Panty and Stocking vibes from it as well. Seems like the theme for this series will be Scissors, much like how FLCL had the Guitar thing, TTGL had Drills and PSG had... well, um... undergarments. Looks interesting enough, so I'll keep watching it.

For the pacing 'issues' mentioned (I see it more as a matter of taste), it's just kind of a quirk of Imaishi and co. and kinda one of the things I love most about his work. Dead Leaves in particular had a lot of useage of limited animation and quick snappy pacing that exaggerated the key poses for emphasis. It's present in a lot of his work actually to focus entirely on the ridiculous key frames to build up speed rather than to in between it all to be incredibly smooth. The stories often tend to kinda follow the same sort of beat too as the animation - very quick and snappy with very little slowdown except at key moments. Kill La Kill so far seems to continue this trend, and I imagine it's going to appear in more of the Imaishi helmed projects. Little Witch Academia, even though by Trigger, didn't have the same sort of vibe to it due to him not not being the director. So I doubt that all of Triggers work is gonna feel like this as a whole.

Just kinda throwing it out there that its more of an intentional, stylistic choice common in his work that may or may not resonate with people. It's a totally valid thing to bring up though if you don't like it, I am just pointing this out now in case people think its a case of them rushing to get it out there or something to that effect. This first episode actually gave me more of a Re: Cutie Honey (Episode 1 only, which Imaishi had a huge hand in) vibe than Gurren Lagann or his other works too if I must say so myself! That first episode of that was just as manic and out there, and I really felt the loss of Imaishi's presence in episode 2 (which I still need to finish). So I am glad to kind of see that take on the Magical Girl formula from Imaishi's perspective again.

The art style is identical to Gurren Lagann

Viral's voice actor also returns, Nobuyuki Hiyama.

Even the VA department has Gurren Lagann in it. I do enjoy this.

• Thumbs Up 1