Awoo.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (IDW, Comic, 2011-Ongoing)

Marcello

idw-tmnt-logo.jpg

Tmnt-coverspread.jpg

Wasn't sure if I wanted to make this topic, since I'm lazy, but I've wanted somewhere to talk about it for a while now and I figured there are some Turtles fans here.

So, now to copy & paste a bunch of stuff from Wikis and Amazon.

Some background information:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an ongoing comic book series published by IDW Publishing. It's the first new comic version of the Turtles to debut since the TMNT franchise was sold to Nickelodeon in October 2009. The initial creative team consisted of TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman, who collaborates on the plot and the page layouts; Tom Waltz, who scripts the series; and Dan Duncan, who handled finished art.

The comic launched in August of 2011. Like the original Mirage series, a group of one-shots focusing on each turtle have been released, in addition to one-shots about some of the turtles' allies and enemies. The first one was Raphael[1] , released in December 2011.

The series is a loose mix between the original Mirage comics and the 1987 and 2003 cartoon series as it slightly re-imagines the origins of the Turtles, as well as other characters such as April O'Neil, Krang and Casey Jones. It has also introduced new characters, such as the mutated cat named Old Hob. Notably, the series, like the original Mirage version, initially gives all four Turtles red eye masks until issue #5, where Splinter gives Leonardo, Donatello and Michelangelo their well-known blue, purple and orange masks, respectively.

The general plot:

In the past, in Feudal Japan, Hamato Yoshi is a member of the Foot Clan, led by Oroku Saki. After seeing Saki make a ruthless choice, he leaves and is classified a traitor. Saki then orders the clan to kill Yoshi's wife and four sons. As the Foot Clan kills Yoshi's wife, Tang Shen, her dying wish is for the rest of the family to be safe. After managing to capture for eleven seasons, Yoshi and his sons are killed by Saki.

In the present, Yoshi and his sons are reincarnated as a rat named Splinter and four turtles, contained in a research facility called StockGen, owned by Baxter Stockman, a scientist who has secretly allied himself with Krang, a ruthless Utrom from Dimension X. But the Foot Clan still lives, and they break into Stockgen one night and steal some chemicals, which, after a long chase, end up mutating Splinter and the turtles into humanoid creatures.

Splinter, remembering his previous life, decides to train his sons in Ninjutsu. Each of Turtles was named by April O'Neil (an intern at StockGen) after famous Renaissance painters: Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello and Raphael.

And now on to the stories. Now this should be obvious, but watch out for spoilers here.

Tumblr_m0314yu37U1qclcgo.jpg

Volume 1. Change is Constant

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles return to comics in their first IDW adventure! It''s a different world for the Turtles. The group is broken as Raphael wanders the streets of NYC in search of food and shelter. His brothers and Master Splinter are on the search, but so far all they can find is trouble - in the form of mutant alley cat Old Hob and his gang of criminals! The very core of the Turtles family is at stake as the new origin of TMNT is revealed!

TMNT_Vol_2_TPB.jpg

Volume 2. Enemies Old, Enemies New

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles begin their journey as a true team of brothers, although distance still remains between them. Meanwhile, Baxter Stockman and General Krang have largely kept to the shadows... until now! General Krang wants results and Baxter has a new invention to capture the Turtles before Krang comes to New York.

TMNT_Vol_3_TPB.jpg

Volume 3. Shadows of the Past

The Turtles' home in the sewers is destroyed thanks to a sinister team-up between Baxter Stockman and Old Hob. Now that the Turtles are homeless, with one of their own captured, things have never looked bleaker for our heroes. And enter... THE SHREDDER!

TMNT_14A.jpg

Volume 4. Sins of our Fathers

The forces of good and evil marshal on multiple fronts in "Sins of the Fathers." The Turtles have a new mission, but Shredder's ambitions could put an end to it before they begin. Plus, Krang unveils his master plan! How far will the Turtles go to defend themselves?

TMNT_Krang_War_TPB.jpg

Volume 5. Krang War

He is a warlord, a genius, and a squishy pink brain. He is General Krang! One of the most signature villains in TMNT history, Krang has an arsenal and wit unlike any other villain and his master plan sees the TMNTs come into direct confrontation with one of their mightiest enemies!

TMNT_City_Fall_tpb.jpg

Volume 6 & 7. City Fall

Kevin Eastman returns to draw a special issue, plus the first three parts of "City Fall." A normal night on the town for Raphael and Casey turns deadly when the Foot Clan appears in full force. The resulting chaos is only the first step in Shredder's master plan!

"City Fall" concludes as Shredder reveals his new second-in-command and launches a full-scale war on New York City! With allegiances shifting, the Turtles must fight back against their most deadly enemy.

The Final parts (Parts 6 & 7 will be released on October 23rd and November 20th respectively)

On the side there's also been Micro-Series for a bunch of the characters including, Raphael, Donatello, Michaelangelo, Leonardo, Splinter, April, Casey and Fugitoid in the heroes department

and Krang, Stockman, Old Hob, Alopex, Karai and Hun in the vilains department with more on the way. with the next one being pretty exciting to me, since it's

Rocksteady and Bebop

They don't necessarily have to be read, but they do add to the main plot.

Then there's the Secret History of the Foot Clan:

TMNT_SHotFC.jpg

Demons, ninjas, and hostile takeovers - what more can you expect from a TMNT comic? Secret History of the Foot Clan reveals a history never told before about the original founder of the Foot. Join the Turtles as they get schooled with a history lesson they'll never forget!

------

So, yeah. That's that.

I've been a Turtles fan since I was a little kid, but most of my exposure was from the shows, movies, games and toys. I was introduce through my brother. I've read some of the Mirage comics when I got older, but not all of them, so this is my first all-out foray into TMNT comics.

The series is really great and all the changes (Like them being reincarnated) and the blend of new and oldhave worked out well. My favorite artist was Dan Duncan, but he doesn't really work on the series anymore. The current one is good, but I don't like a few things like the Turtle's bandannas looking too "extreme" or their beaks.

City Fall has been really exciting so far with,

Leo's turn and the whole war and seeing different gangs like the Savate. Plus Rocksteady and Bebop are appearing next issue!

So, kind of hard for me to start discussing these things without any replies, so now start posting here. Right now.

Please =(.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 4

I was going to get into this series and follow it at one point. I have like, the first 7 or 8 issues. It was great from what I read, but I wish I kept up. D:

• Thumbs Up 1

You can get back in through Trade Paperbacks if you want. They're fairly close to the actual run.

By the way, for Archie Sonic fans, Ben Bates drew a few issues of the Krang War arc.

Have the first four trades and loving it. The story is a nice take on the lore that includes lots of elements and loving nods to previous incarnations (The red bandanas from most of the comics, Krang and the Dimension X stuff from the original cartoon, Hun from the 2003 cartoon, etc.) while also adding in some interesting new bits that make everything come together wonderfully. It also reads like sort of an alternate take on the 2003 show to me (Which I loved), so it's kind of like getting even more episodes of that to enjoy. The darker tone also makes it a really nice companion to the more light-hearted Nick show, effectively giving you two decidedly different, but awesome takes on the TMNT universe to absorb at once. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it progresses as time goes on. (Gonna have to pick up the rest of the trades eventually.)

Also, it includes MOTHATRUCKIN' SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH, so it automatically earned my seal of approval before I had read it. tongue.png

Edited by CC14 the Franken Frog
  • Thumbs Up 1

You can get back in through Trade Paperbacks if you want. They're fairly close to the actual run.   By the way, for Archie Sonic fans, Ben Bates drew a few issues of the Krang War arc.
Actually Ben drew the whole of Krang war arc(and is drawing bebop and rocksteady mini series) and I have to say that arc was pretty meh all it really did was have the turtles learn about Krang. I need to read city fall I've hearing great things about it

Been following this series from day one. I absolutely love it. What a fantastic, fresh reimagining of a classic property. It takes a little bit of everything from the entire history and reworks it completely into its own thing.

As someone who became less a fan of the old Fred Wolf TMNT cartoon as he got older, and became interested in the Mirage works (thanks in part to the 4Kids cartoon), I have to say I'm surprised and pleased with how even the Fred Wolf bits are handled in this series. Hell, I actually like Krang now! When I read the first issue I kind of rolled my eyes when I read "General Krang" and thought "Guess they're trying to grab the Fred Wolf fans," but seeing him be an actual threat and reading his Micro-Series issue really turned me around on the character. I'm even looking forward to seeing what's done with Bebop and Rocksteady in their upcoming Micro-Series issue. I guess there really are no bad characters, just bad writers.

The current arc "City Fall" is pretty damn good so far, and the last issue is currently my favorite. We're getting some nice continuity nods to supposedly one-off characters from much earlier in the comic's run, and it's just been interesting to see how the whole thing has grown and changed a little bit at a time.

I remember hearing that Chet turning out to be Fugitoid was not part of the original plan, for example, and same thing with Hun's identity.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, there's very little I actually dislike about this comic. It is, in my mind, the best Turtles incarnation yet. It's got a bit of everything for everyone, whether you like Mirage, Fred Wolf, 4Kids, hell, maybe even Nickelodeon (though I think Nick is fairly insistent on keeping the IDW TMNT separate from their cartoon, something I'm actually grateful for despite the fact that I enjoy that show quite a bit too). While I think there's certain things that could be done better (I kinda wish Tom Waltz would pick Brian Lynch's brain a little so he can write Alopex with more of a personality, for example), it's definitely a very consistent. well-written book that is a priority purchase during my monthly trips to the comic book store.

Edited by Zaysho

Have the first four trades and loving it. The story is a nice take on the lore that includes lots of elements and loving nods to previous incarnations (The red bandanas from most of the comics, Krang and the Dimension X stuff from the original cartoon, Hun from the 2003 cartoon, etc.) while also adding in some interesting new bits that make everything come together wonderfully. It also reads like sort of an alternate take on the 2003 show to me (Which I loved), so it's kind of like getting even more episodes of that to enjoy. The darker tone also makes it a really nice companion to the more light-hearted Nick show, effectively giving you two decidedly different, but awesome takes on the TMNT universe to absorb at once. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it progresses as time goes on. (Gonna have to pick up the rest of the trades eventually.)

Also, it includes MOTHATRUCKIN' SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH, so it automatically earned my seal of approval before I had read it. tongue.png

Slash is fun.

Spoilered since you aren't past the first 4 trades.

I'm really enjoying his partnership with Old Hob, since it adds more to both characters.

Actually Ben drew the whole of Krang war arc(and is drawing bebop and rocksteady mini series) and I have to say that arc was pretty meh all it really did was have the turtles learn about Krang. I need to read city fall I've hearing great things about it

I thought so. I wasn't sure and I was to lazy to check, though, so I just a said a few to be safe.

Thanks

The current arc "City Fall" is pretty damn good so far, and the last issue is currently my favorite. We're getting some nice continuity nods to supposedly one-off characters from much earlier in the comic's run, and it's just been interesting to see how the whole thing has grown and changed a little bit at a time.

I remember hearing that Chet turning out to be Fugitoid was not part of the original plan, for example, and same thing with Hun's identity.

At the risk of sounding like a fanboy, there's very little I actually dislike about this comic. It is, in my mind, the best Turtles incarnation yet. It's got a bit of everything for everyone, whether you like Mirage, Fred Wolf, 4Kids, hell, maybe even Nickelodeon (though I think Nick is fairly insistent on keeping the IDW TMNT separate from their cartoon, something I'm actually grateful for despite the fact that I enjoy that show quite a bit too). While I think there's certain things that could be done better (I kinda wish Tom Waltz would pick Brian Lynch's brain a little so he can write Alopex with more of a personality, for example), it's definitely a very consistent. well-written book that is a priority purchase during my monthly trips to the comic book store.

I agree with that. I can't really think of things in the story that I don't really like.

About Nickelodeon, it seems the comics haven been taking some design cues from it recently. Donny is taller and has his tooth gap. Maybe it just depends on the artist, though.

I'm curious about Alopex. Did you read her Micro Series? If so, did that change your opinion on her any?

City Fall:

I love seeing some of the micro series guys like Harold and I was happy to see Woody and Mikey reconcile, since I enjoy seeing the turtles have different human friends.

Chet confused me. I'm not really sure if he was an actual person and Honeycutt was posing as him or if he just created him.

But, yeah, I believe it was said the fan post section that those ideas came later.

Edited by MarcelloF

I'm surious about Alopex. Did you read her Micro Series? If so, did that change your opinion on her any?

It's not so much my opinion of her, but the different ways she's written between the two writers that have handled her. Brian Lynch (he wrote the Raphael and Alopex stories) created her and she has a lot of personality in the two Micro-Series issues she's appeared in. Tom Waltz has been using her extensively, but she lacks a lot of the little bits of quirkiness and personality in the on-going. I suppose when you only have 20 pages of story to tell every month, not every character might get the same kind of development, but it's really the only thing I noticed with the character.

To be honest, I remember when the Alopex issue came out, I was surprised at how different her "voice" seemed (lots of snark and a bit of playfulness) but then I re-read the Raphael issue and realized that's how she's supposed to sound. In the on-going, she's more dry and serious. I guess what surprises me is that Waltz has absolutely no trouble writing a character like Old Hob (one of my favorite newcomers) but he hasn't nailed down Alopex's personality yet. She works fine either way, I suppose, I just happen to like how one writer has used her more than another.

Edited by Zaysho

I think what makes this incarnation of the titles great is the fact that Kevin Eastman is involved with this and it's really interesting that nick is allowing them to get away with all the stuff they do

I think what makes this incarnation of the titles great is the fact that Kevin Eastman is involved with this and it's really interesting that nick is allowing them to get away with all the stuff they do

Indeed. Considering the man sold his interest years back to pursue other things, I'm surprised he came in to work on it at all. The sad thing is that it's all work-for-hire now and, despite it being partially his creation, he has no control over it now. I'd wonder if Peter Laird might ever step in for a short guest spot or team-up with Eastman, but that seems unlikely. He's writing annotations for the Mirage collections, but I think he's interested in doing other things nowadays.

I also think Nickelodeon understands that there's a huge variety of TMNT fans out there, so they have a lot of hoops to jump through to please everyone (though maybe giving Michael Bay movie rights was the only bad decision they've made so far). It's kind of like the late 80s/early 90s all over again when there was the Mirage comics running alongside the kid-friendly cartoon, and now it's the same thing with IDW and Nickelodeon.

Fun fact: apparently Eastman frequented the comic book store I go to all the time for a short while, but since he moved again, I never got the chance to meet him personally (and I tend to bug the shop owners about it all the time).

Edited by Zaysho

• 1 month later...

So, City Fall has ended. What'd you guys think?

I really liked it. It was great seeing Rocksteady and Bebop. In general it was cool to see everyone get together and fight it out. Karai becoming a Chu-Nin and Shredder's talk about family was interesting. And now Alopex has betrayed Shredder..

So what's next is also interesting.

They're going to Northampton! I didn't really know the name, but right when April said she knew exactly where to go, I got really excited because I knew where they were going. Here from Wikipedia, by the way:

Northampton is the setting for several stories throughout various Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles media, especially the original Mirage comics as well as the 2003 animated series. While not specifically referred to by name, the city is featured in the 1990 live-action movie. It is also the real-life headquarters for Mirage Studios, former owners of the franchise.

Pretty cool. Ross Cambell will be doing the art and it seems a new mutant designed by him will appear.

Also the covers are great:

TMNT_29A.jpg

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Northampton_%28IDW_story_arc%29

Also a new short story, Utrom Empire will start in January:

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Utrom_Empire#Part_One

I'm just waiting for the trade to come out since my comic shops don't have them

I'm just waiting for the trade to come out since my comic shops don't have them

Well, "City Fall, part 1" (#21-24) is out now. And I think the first trade for the Villains Micro-Series (Krang, Stockman, Old Hob, and Alopex) is also out now. "City Fall, part 2" (#25-28) and the second Villains trade (Karai, Hun, Bebop and Rocksteady, and Shredder) are due out next year, if that's the route you're going.

As for my thoughts on the "City Fall" conclusion:

I liked it. I think maybe Dark Leo should've had more payoff than he did (probably should've killed Victor of the Savate, or at least run the rest of Turtles and Splinter out of NY for a short time. Then they'd rest up in Northampton, return, and get Leo back). I am interested in seeing what sort of repercussions he'll suffer as a result of Kitsune's spell though. Tom Waltz did tease a little bit early on that this isn't the end of Leo's problems (I remember him saying something to the effect of "You can't really be hypnotised, unless you want to," and saying that Leo had to agree with Shredder to some degree for the spell to have any effect).

I also really liked the Micro-Series issues that helped shine the spotlight on and develop the players of this particular storyline, especially the second half of the "Villains" run (the Hun story is probably my favorite).

I was surprised to see Alopex choose to attack Shredder right at the climax of the battle, only to be shot down (dialogue suggests she will be back though... *phew*). It's not out of nowhere, since her Micro-Series explains everything, but it might be a bit abrupt if you haven't read those stories. I was sort of hoping that she and Karai would team up and form another faction of the Foot Clan and go to war with Shredder, but I'm okay with how things turned out too. I'm hoping we can look forward to Alopex joining Hob and Slash in the future (and I'm totally okay with that).

Speaking of Hob and Slash, I'm surprised Hob didn't force Splinter to make a decision now that Leo was back. I'm guessing when the group returns to NY, Hob will be expecting his answer. Though, it seems like he won't necessarily go after his "own kind" (mutants) even if they say no. And Slash is really buddy-buddy with Mikey now, so I can't imagine Slash will be happy if Hob did anything to harm the Turtles. In either case, I can't wait to see what Hob's got planned down the line, now that he's got a ton of mutagen to use as he pleases.

The Shredder story in the final "Villains" issue was also pretty interesting, as we get to see into Shredder's mind and what happened to him between the end of "Secret History of the Foot Clan" and before Karai revived him. I think that's going to set up for some very interesting moments for him, even though "City Fall" essentially ended with him in total control of everything. How will he take it when things start to fall apart? Is Kitsune completely on his side, or does she have other plans (her talk with Alopex might be foreshadowing something)? Exactly how loyal are these gangs he's controlling? Hell, will Hun ever figure out that Shredder's the one that put Casey in the hospital (I'm a little surprised Casey didn't just tell him "Dad, your boss is the guy who stabbed me!")? I realize Casey and Hun's relationship is basically damaged beyond repair at this point, but I imagine given Hun's new attitude, he'll want revenge for Casey, even if those events led to his own "improvement" (well, I suppose head thug for the biggest criminal organization is a step up from raging, child beating alcoholic).

Really looking forward to "Northampton." It's kind of funny that they went with the movie version and suggesting that the farm belonged to April, instead of it being in Casey's family like other continuities. But I'm OK with that. Can't wait to check out Ross Campbell's artwork for four straight issues. Any hints as to what the new mutant might be? I kinda hope Leatherhead will show up. Oh, and "Utrom Empire" and the X-Files crossover are next year!

Now that "City Fall" is over, I think it's high time I start re-reading this series from the beginning (I'm only missing the Michelangelo story). It'll be a nice primer for things to come next year.

I can confirm that both City Fall part 1 and Villains Micro Vol 1 are both out in trade paperback now. I've only read half of city fall for myself, but what I've heard of the second half, it's pretty freaking intense!

• Thumbs Up 1

I can confirm that both City Fall part 1 and Villains Micro Vol 1 are both out in trade paperback now. I've only read half of city fall for myself, but what I've heard of the second half, it's pretty freaking intense!

It all builds to a pretty satisfying conclusion, IMO. There are things that I think would've been interesting to see (stuff that's all in my spoiler'd post), but I can't really complain about the results either. It definitely has me excited for future stories, since the creative team is pretty insistent on "City Fall" having some lasting effects in upcoming storylines.

TMNT32-cvr-9e13b.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #32
Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman (w) • Ross Campbell (a) • Campbell, Eastman ©
The Turtles thought they’d be safe in Northampton-- they were wrong! Surrounded on all sides, the Turtles will have to reunite as a fearsome fighting force. Will their newest ally be their salvation, or doom?
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
• Variant Cover by S-bis!

TMNT-UE03-cvrA-6c18d.jpg

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Utrom Empire #3 (of 3)
Paul Allor (w) • Andy Kuhn (a & c)
Baxter’s gambit reaches its endgame, but Fugitoid has some tricks up his sleeve! With the fate of the Utrom race in his hands, whom will the robot scientist end up saving? The dramatic past of the Utroms will have dire consequences in the present day!
FC • 32 pages • $3.99
• Thunderous climax that will have an impact on the ongoing series!

Welp, now we know where Alopex is... So much for my hope of her teaming up with Hob and Slash...

Also, Triceratons. Hell yes!

Well I just finished reading the city fall part one trade and its pretty interesting really interested in what's going to happen next, the debut of bebop and rocksteady and most importantly the aftermath

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading through City Fall, it's been one hell of a ride. But did anyone else see the two cameo characters in the big meeting?

Mohawk Storm Kickin' it behind Walter White FTW!

• 1 month later...

Dammit, IDW TMNT thread, live!

Ahem.

Anybody see this yet: http://comicsalliance.com/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-30th-anniversary-art-kevin-eastman-peter-laird-bobby-curnow-art-interview/

Cool interview with Kevin Eastman and IDW editor Bobby Curnow about TMNT 30th anniversary plans. Among other things, a new anthology will drop in May (though since Eastman is working on a story, it'll likely get delayed...). But that's not the coolest part. This anthology features stories from across various TMNT comic continuities! Early Mirage (written/illustrated by Eastman), Archie (written by Dean Clarrain/Steve Murphy and illustrated by Chris Allan), Image (written by Gary Carlson and illustrated by Frank Fosco), Late Mirage (I'm guessing the vol. 4 era; written and illustrated by Jim Lawson) and IDW (written by Tom Waltz and illustrated by Dan Duncan) will all be represented.  What an awesome unexpected surprise. Even nicer since Eastman and Laird are finally doing something together again in so long. Sure, it's only a cover, but it's nice knowing they still get along and can collaborate once in a while.

I am very excited about this. I'm not too familiar with Archie TMNT (I read it here and there, so I'm familiar with Ninjara and that version of Slash, and the general thing I've learned was that it was decent in spite of Murphy's constant environmentalist finger-wagging--actually it seemed to start life similarly to Archie's Sonic!), so it should be interesting to read that. Same with Image. I know Carlson and Fosco worked with a fan on an unofficial conclusion a couple years back to bring some closure to that universe (Carlson provided story notes for the writer to use and Fosco provided covers), so it should be interesting to see what else they'll do with that arm of the franchise (also consider Image took off from Mirage and can sort of be considered an alternate universe to Laird's "official" Mirage universe).

Also, check out that cover! Eastman pencils with Laird inks (in the interview, Eastman, as he tends to do, gave Laird way more credit, so I had assumed Laird had penciled it and Eastman inked it, but it was actually the other way around according to Laird)!

KBE-PAL-IDW-cover-800dpi-clean-bitmap.jp

EDIT: Found solicitation. Huh, so apparently it's only going to run 48 pages and go for about $8. To be honest, I was expecting a much bigger book. Should be interesting.

Edited by Zaysho

That moment you realize turtles forever was 5 years ago XD in all seriousness this sounds interesting. Quick question how are the TMNT comics based off the cartoon?

That moment you realize turtles forever was 5 years ago XD in all seriousness this sounds interesting. Quick question how are the TMNT comics based off the cartoon?

The new one? I've only read the FCBD issue and the first issue, so I can't comment much. Since it's entirely episodic and can't do anything to contradict the on-going cartoon, and it's $4 an issue, I haven't had a ton of desire to pick it up, personally (I spend enough on comics every month as it is, so I gotta cut back where I can). I hear it's pretty good overall though. It's got some great artists like Dario Brizuela (a Mirage alumnus) and Chad Thomas (from Mega Man) in the mix, and writers like Erik Burnham (he writes Ghostbusters, but I don't read that and he did co-script "Secret History of the Foot Clan," which was just awesome) and Kenny Byerly (Byerly worked on the TV show's first season), if that means anything.