Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Reviews

Tails spin

Regarding the Wisps - aside from a couple like Drill and Laser (once you discover how to actually bloody work the thing if you're using the touch controls), they're absolutely pointless with the exception of reaching the odd alternate route.

Asteroid? Controls like crap, has no real purpose.

Rhythm? I... I don't even know why this is a thing. It doesn't seem to actually benefit anything apart from crossing specifically-made gaps.

Eagle? Meh, it's the best of the new ones, I guess. Underused though.

I absolutely love Colours and I love what the Wisps brought to the table in that game. But here, they may as well not even exist.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'll say what I said to Indigo, I suppose.

When you look at it from the outside, games are something extraordinary. Fantastic worlds, interesting characters, amazing adventures, all at the players fingertips. There's something almost nostalgic to it, even with new games. A good game, whether it means to or not, brings me back to that time when I wanted to be an adventurer, or the president, or fight monsters as the chosen one. Simpler times, yes, but no less important to me than the big grown-up things I've been embroiled in. However crude or downright awful my imagination was, the joy and wonder they brought to a knee-high Soma was unforgettable. For all its flaws, it was entertainment at its finest.

...I guess that's enough beating around the bush. What I suppose I'm trying to say is that a game, at its heart, is entertainment. If, failing all else, it succeeds in at least that, it was a game worth making. Technical faults may rear up, opposition may strike, but in the end, whether or not the adventure was worth it is a question left solely to you. Experience it for yourself, and draw your own conclusions.

That sounded bizarre coming from me of all people, but I thought it needed to be said, however awkwardly I expressed it. In a strange way, all this mixed reception reminds me of why I love video games in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't get that people think that we've been suggesting that Sonic will be full-on dead because of the mixed reviews. At least I know that what I've been saying that I'm worried about Sonic becoming the gaming laughing stock again, like he was after 06. We've been making slow progress in that regard but I'm worried that the mixed reviews will just shoot it all down again once more angry.png sad.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Asteroid is much better used in the 3DS version.  Lightning is also super fun.  Haven't used the other new one yet.

Regarding the Little Planet/Lost Hex comparisons, Little Planet is still more explanation than we get for Lost Hex.  Apparently an entire planet exists within the clouds of Sonic's world and we haven't seen it before, okay.  Or if it's a wormhole they went through, you'd think Tails would at least make a small aside to "I can't believe there was a wormhole right in our planet's cloud cover".  Just, something, anything.

The bit that peeves me the most is Tails knows what is is and then we get not even a nod as to why.

It just a bit frustrating how inconsistent this franchise is. It feels like its one step forward, one step back. with every entry.They'll make the controls less finicky, but with lots of slow ill-fitting 2D platforming and dumbed down 3D sections in Colors. We'll try to do the best of both worlds, but in a tiny slight package full of filler side activities, mediorcelevel design, and a shit last boss. We'll finally hire some good writers and voice actors, and we'll waste them on Baldy McNosehair and insubstantial childish storytelling. They'll fix the homing attack having a mind of its own, then introduce LOTS of different targets for your homing attack to get confused in Lost World. They'll tiered speeds, but with zero momentum in-between the speeds, just hard stops that breaks up the flow. 

And just a hundred other different things they seem to be constantly improving and breaking and introducing

Like FUCK can they just do one game where they get the vast majority of it right? One game we can all agree was awesome? Is this franchise cursed to be various levels of "mixed bags" forever?

Edited by jeremycarrier
  • Thumbs Up 2

To be fair the opening levels play pretty great.  It's only when you get to the latter half that the controls start to not hold up to the difficulty presented.

• Thumbs Up 2

I swear, I hope this is the last game with wisps because, honestly, I'm seeing absolutely no reason for them being there and they feel like a giant gimmick, so they're annoying me.

This. I also think the 2D segments/levels in Sonic games are in the same boat, they just seem like a crutch for Sonic Team to use as filler to make up for the small amount of 3D platforming/mach speed levels. Maybe if they weren't so linear and weren't mostly comprised of "block" platforming, I would cut them some slack. But at this point I think the 2D levels should be reserved solely for the 2D games, we haven't seen a Sonic game compromised entirely of 3D levels since Sonic 06, quality of said 3D levels notwithstanding.

Edited by Yeow the Baneful

I don't get that people think that we've been suggesting that Sonic will be full-on dead because of the mixed reviews. At least I know that what I've been saying that I'm worried about Sonic becoming the gaming laughing stock again, like he was after 06. We've been making slow progress in that regard but I'm worried that the mixed reviews will just shoot it all down again once more angry.png sad.png

Dude. Unless is a broken, unplayable mess like 06 was, you should seriously stop worrying. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Still, this comment from the official Sonic facebook page describes exactly why I am so frustrated with these reviews.:

"I find it bullshit that many of the critics at E3 who played Sonic Lost World, praised the game for it's mechanics and it's gameplay, only to bastardize it during it's release. Way to get Sega's hopes up; pointing out all the flaws and such. Must be some kind of joke. It makes you wonder why the fuck they didn't even mentioned those complaints before? If you had problems with certain elements of the game, you could have informed Sega about the situations a long time ago... they had almost 3-4 months from it's release to make some final touhes! As video game critics, it is your damn job to write a review about the things you find troublesome during the gameplay, giving the publisher/developer inside tips on how to improve the game... but no... they didn't tell them that. Instead, Sega got their hopes up only to be lied to for almost about everything little detail of the game. Very disappointed at those critics... especially IGN and Gamespot."

This guy just summed up one of the biggest(if not THE biggest) problems I have with game journalism: praising previews followed by scathing(or mixed) reviews. The ol' bait and switch...

• Thumbs Up 6

Oh god damn it THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS WORRIED ABOUT WHEN SLW STARTED GETTING LESS THEN GOOD SCORES

IT'S FUCKING HAPPENING AGAIN, GOD DAMN IT INTERNET!

The internet is going back into it's "Sonic is dead and sucks and should die" phase because of this shit and FUCKING SHIT WE WERE MAKING PROGRESS GOD DAMN IT

...you know people on the Internet have been saying this crap for years anyway even when the series is progressively getting better and the games is well received? That's all it takes is one or two bad reviews for people to start trash talking Sonic and dismiss anything positive about it.

Edited by sonfan1984
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be fair the opening levels play pretty great.  It's only when you get to the latter half that the controls start to not hold up to the difficulty presented.

A lot of the reviews said the opening sucks...

So, with all these negative scores taken into account... how many giant Sonic banners do you think SEGA will be sending out to reviewers as a joke this time?

laugh.png

Poor Jim Sterling will be left out. :(

Poor Jim Sterling will be left out. sad.png

Maybe he purposely gave Lost World a better score so he wouldn't get any more "surprises" through the post from SEGA :lol:

At this point, im so used to "mixed" reviews. Most of us here LOVED Unleashed, and probably many favorites in terms of a modern Sonic game, yet it was very mixed like this. It was a drastic change from previous Sonic games, just like Lost World. Im sure to a "fan"s point of view, it will be loved.

Asteroid is much better used in the 3DS version.  Lightning is also super fun.  Haven't used the other new one yet.

Regarding the Little Planet/Lost Hex comparisons, Little Planet is still more explanation than we get for Lost Hex.  Apparently an entire planet exists within the clouds of Sonic's world and we haven't seen it before, okay.  Or if it's a wormhole they went through, you'd think Tails would at least make a small aside to "I can't believe there was a wormhole right in our planet's cloud cover".  Just, something, anything.

The bit that peeves me the most is Tails knows what is is and then we get not even a nod as to why.

This is actually what irritates me the most about Tails these days. He seems to always conveniently know nearly everything about what's going on, but they never explain why he knows that other than "lolkidgeniushurr". It irritated the crap out of me in Generations how both Tailses just HAPPENED TO KNOW how to restore the locations in white space just because.

Edited by Dark Tomoki

Dimps wins again, another step towards my Sonic Advanced Rush. Sega, look into the profits and reviews and understand the necessity of giving Dimps their own new title again.

I believe there's that comic coming out on Halloween that acts as the prologue to the game but I agree with you. If anything that prologue should have been included in the game even if it was just one long chastened with no gameplay.

Quite a few of us have it now, and Lost Hex is about as well explained in that as it is in the game.

Just read Kotaku's review and I really have to agree with them.  Wii U is good and serves well enough as a new Sonic title after these years but 3DS is better.  If people are getting both I certainly recommend playing the Wii U one first so you can appreciate the 3DS' improvements all the more.

Edited by JezMM