Awoo.

Capcom doesn't have the resources for a next-gen fighter

Candescence

But their method for fixing it is seriously taking all the money they made from actual successes and shoving it in there. How the hell are they then supposed to make the things that actually sell then?

It also doesn't help that the mobile market is extremely fickle, and there are only a few consistent successes - Zynga learned this the hard way.

Unless you have a concept that's extremely appealing, even handheld and console development is safer, trying to create a mobile hit is like playing the lottery. And as well, even if you do have a hit, unless that hit can stand on its own merits and has genuine longevity, you're more than likely to see the success disappear surprisingly quickly.

So this is basically the Capcom general discussion thread, right?

Monster Hunter 4G for the 3DS just got announced.

Perhaps the reason why they didn't localise Monster Hunter 4 standard edition was because they knew they'd be making an updated version at some point, and could localise that instead.  (Much like Bravely Default, actually.)

• 4 months later...

EXTREE EXTREE

Capcom's up for sale!

http://playeressence.com/capcom-shareholders-end-takeover-defense-could-be-acquired-by-another-company/

Capcom’s shareholders has voted to end the company’s takeover defense. This means that if another company decides to purchase enough shares into the company, they could be bought by an outside firm. All of this apparently happened at a recent investor meeting. More details can be found at Gamasutra on the matter. Via: GoNintendo

This is insane! What does this means for the games that are being finished now? And who could be the ones to buy it. 

I hope that Sony or Nintendo do. If EA, Activision, and Microsoft gobble them up, I fear.

I just fear.

Don't expect a traditional gaming company to pick them up. Capcom has invested a lot of resources in mobile lately, so expect someone looking into those fields to buy them out, or heck, Microsoft (because they always wanted a piece of the Japanese gaming pie).

This is insane! What does this means for the games that are being finished now? And who could be the ones to buy it. 

I hope that Sony or Nintendo do. If EA, Activision, and Microsoft gobble them up, I fear.

I just fear.

What? Megaman Act Zero? Ace Attorney: War Edition?

What? Megaman Act Zero? Ace Attorney: War Edition?

SEGA buying Capcom? What a twist!?!?!??!?! Though probably not a preferable one.

I'd rather Nintendo be the buyer of this deal.

Please Nintendo, please buy Capcom. ;-; I think many of Capcom's franchises would do SO much better under Nintendo's wing than anywhere else.

God no SEGA or Microsoft don't you dare touch them!

• Thumbs Up 6

Wait you guys, aren't there laws against companies in foreign nations having full ownership of Japanese companies? if so we don't have to worry about Sony or Microsoft buying them, they can't legally be controlling stock holders, that does still leave Sega-Sammy, and a couple other Japanese companies like Bandai-Namco and Nintendo though

Wait you guys, aren't there laws against companies in foreign nations having full ownership of Japanese companies? if so we don't have to worry about Sony or Microsoft buying them, they can't legally be controlling stock holders, that does still leave Sega-Sammy, and a couple other Japanese companies like Bandai-Namco and Nintendo though

Um, Sony is a Japanese company as well...

• Thumbs Up 6

Also here is another thought, what if we got another initial monolith soft situation? Where Nintendo and Namco both buy the stocks, with Namco buying most, but Nintendo buying enough for a lot of exclusivity? or perhaps this time Nintendo will buy the majority, but team up with Namco on the parts it can't

Hmm, mixed emotions about that news. They kinda had it coming, but it would be a shame to lose such iconic key franchises if the wrong hands got them.

Although I can only recall Mega Man and Street Fighter 2 as iconic symbols in gaming history from the top of my head. I wouldn't want them to disappear like Rare and Hudson Softs IPs have.

The only buyers are Japanese Third-parties, Nintendo, or Sony. I hope it's the third-parties and a good one like NOT Bamco.

I fear if any of the big 3 get a hold of them. They have such a wide fanbase across so many different platforms, not to mention what will happen say if Sony got them to all the titles available for sale on Nintendo's Virtual Console or the XBLA for example? Would these titles have to all of a sudden be pulled? I'd rather see Capcom stay as a third party. I've seen a lot of "well Nintendo should get them 'cause they LOVE Mega Man" but really Mega Man has had his home on Sony platforms for a long time too.

I just think Capcom being a first party would be awful for everyone - I'd much rather see them stay as a third party but hopefully under the hands of someone more gaming focused so that it would free them up to possibly revisit their iconic/cool franchises again.

Third party would be the BEST thing for em.. so I vote SEGA. I fear and would cry if Nini or Soft got them cause then all those titles wouldn't appear on any other system. SEGA get your shit on and buy Capcom.. and give us the best cross over fucking EVER. 

Third party would be the BEST thing for em.. so I vote SEGA. I fear and would cry if Nini or Soft got them cause then all those titles wouldn't appear on any other system. SEGA get your shit on and buy Capcom.. and give us the best cross over fucking EVER. 

I don't think Sega even has the cash for it.

Honestly? I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo bought them out. So many 'mature' IPs to grab right off the bat, among other things, they pretty much have the most to gain from such an acquisition out of anyone.

Sega doesn't. Sega-Sammy probably does.

Either way I'd prefer they go to a publisher that's worth a shit.

I dunno, HOPEFULLY this is a wake up call to Capcom and they fix their shit... but that might be wishful thinking. I don't think going to Nintendo would help them honestly. Then again that goes for either Sony or Soft either.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, Mega Man would probably make a return if Nintendo got them. Can't say much for it otherwise, though. Probably just Monster Hunter.

Sega doesn't. Sega-Sammy probably does.

Either way I'd prefer they go to a publisher that's worth a shit.

You know, I'm thinking that if Sega-Sammy acquires, then perhaps Sega could step up their goddamned advertising by using Capcom's IPs.

Lemme guess? Wishful thinking?