Awoo.

Capcom doesn't have the resources for a next-gen fighter

Candescence

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Nintendo should purchase Capcom, because it would instantly get them access to a small variety of critically acclaimed IPs, including Resident Evil, MegaMan, Dino Crisis and more, going a long way toward solving the company's genre drought.

Of course, given the debt situation, and the fact that MS, EA and Activision will be slobbering all over this dying beast's carcass long before Iwata considers making a move, and the fact that MS is likely the only company able to buy Capcom outright, it will never be.

• Thumbs Up 4

I actually currently buy into the likelihood of SEGASammy buying Capcom if they ever go up for sale. They just seem like the most likely candidate right now, and their current work ethic is pretty similar to one another (i.e. only develop console games for a couple of IPs and make mobile games of everything else. Also only localise games sometimes. If SEGA and Capcom are so alike maybe they should just get married. Fuckers.)

• Thumbs Up 4

Sega you need to do this. I don't want Street fighter to be confined to the Wii-U... I just DON'T. It needs to be where it's at.. the big two. Sega... do use proud and be awesome and take your wife you haven't met yet. I just really don't trust Nin. with IPS like RE, SF and DMC. Look how long Bayo is taking... do we REALLY wanna wait longer than 10 years for a simple update in Street Fighter? Really? I dunno... Keep all of the IPS 3rd party and everything's fair.

Look how long Bayo is taking... do we REALLY wanna wait longer than 10 years for a simple update in Street Fighter? Really?

Fair enough if you dislike Nintendo, but Bayo2 taking so long has more to do with SEGA refusing to fund the game in the first place than it has anything to do with Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 6

Sega you need to do this. I don't want Street fighter to be confined to the Wii-U... I just DON'T. It needs to be where it's at.. the big two. Sega... do use proud and be awesome and take your wife you haven't met yet. I just really don't trust Nin. with IPS like RE, SF and DMC. Look how long Bayo is taking... do we REALLY wanna wait longer than 10 years for a simple update in Street Fighter? Really? I dunno... Keep all of the IPS 3rd party and everything's fair.

You know, Nintendo might take a while with their IPs, but the quality is always great because of that, it's not like making a rushjob out of a game will help the IPs at all :U

Besides, Nintendo knows how to add in some heart to their franchises, they have respect and care for them, reason why it usually takes that long for them to be made. I prefer having to wait for a new game of a franchise than having the same game every year. Heck, SEGA does that with Sonic, and for that very reason, they're having serious problems by having to reinvent the series every three or four years so it won't become the same thing over and over again.

If Nintendo bought Capcom, they would have access to a bigger staff wouldn't they? That and the new IP sounds like it would be a good trade off for all that money, but I think it would be smarter for Nintendo to get some big stake in the company instead of taking the whole thing; encourage Capcom to make exclusives for their systems without taking on all that debt. 

You all bring good points that I can't push aside. My only reason I want them to stay third party is because looking at everything besides Rock man... The other ips WILL surfer if they are all confined to one console instead of being on all 3. Maybe I'm wrong tho who even knows if Nini is even caring about Capcom. It just seems like a huge fuck you to any sony or Soft fans who want to enjoy the capcom IP's if they went 2nd party to ANYONE. Oh well I'll say one thing tho.. this is going to be one hell of a year and so on for Capcom and whoever buys them. 

There's still no certainty that Capcom will be sold at all, and to be honest even if they do they're much more likely to be bought by SEGA, GungHo or Namco than they are by a first-party imo.

You all bring good points that I can't push aside. My only reason I want them to stay third party is because looking at everything besides Rock man... The other ips WILL surfer if they are all confined to one console instead of being on all 3. Maybe I'm wrong tho who even knows if Nini is even caring about Capcom. It just seems like a huge fuck you to any sony or Soft fans who want to enjoy the capcom IP's if they went 2nd party to ANYONE. Oh well I'll say one thing tho.. this is going to be one hell of a year and so on for Capcom and whoever buys them. 

Yeah I could see some really massive fan outrage come to the internet if street fighter went nintendo exclusive.

Lol Bandai-Namco-Capcom? Well at least a Project X Zone sequel would be easier to licence.

• Thumbs Up 3

From a business standpoint, Nintendo putting a large stake in Capcom would probably serve Nintendo very well, since they'd lay claim to Capcom's IP's, force Capcom to make games for Nintendo consoles only, and bring back some popular IP's as well. If Nintendo did that and laid the ground work for Capcom getting back on their feet, it would benefit Nintendo very well and potentially later Nintendo could buy more of Capcom's shares as well.

I'm not going to argue whether or not people WANT Nintendo to buy Capcom, that's an entirely subjective and personal issue. From Nintendo's perspective it'd be a very good idea. Hell, from any first-party company's perspective its a good idea.

Nintendo probably has the money to do it, but they'd be risking that investment because of the Wii U's iffy sales (though the Wii U is no longer selling at a loss, and if Nintendo were to buy Capcom and start having Capcom make games for Wii U or at least just 3DS, it could boost sales even more).

• Thumbs Up 4

It just seems like a huge fuck you to any sony or Soft fans who want to enjoy the capcom IP's if they went 2nd party to ANYONE. Oh well I'll say one thing tho.. this is going to be one hell of a year and so on for Capcom and whoever buys them. 

Well, thing is, Nintendo will probably try to make most of the IPs work, or make new ones with Capcom's resources, we will probably get good quality games, for the price of them being exclusive for Nintendo's console, look at Bayonetta 2, It wasn't even going to happen, but thanks to Nintendo, not only now it's a thing, but they're remaking the first one, also exclusive to the Wii U. 

Besides, it could be far worse, remember when Rare was bought by MS? When they killed all those franchises all while using Nuts and Bolts' reception as an excuse to do so? Yeah, at least Nintendo would do their best to try to respect the franchises, MS would just murder them all at the first chance they get.

Besides, I'm sure Nintendo would give a nice try at Resident Evil, they barely have any survival horrors, so I think it would be an interesting experience for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

From a business standpoint, Nintendo putting a large stake in Capcom would probably serve Nintendo very well, since they'd lay claim to Capcom's IP's, force Capcom to make games for Nintendo consoles only, and bring back some popular IP's as well. If Nintendo did that and laid the ground work for Capcom getting back on their feet, it would benefit Nintendo very well and potentially later Nintendo could buy more of Capcom's shares as well.

I'm not going to argue whether or not people WANT Nintendo to buy Capcom, that's an entirely subjective and personal issue. From Nintendo's perspective it'd be a very good idea. Hell, from any first-party company's perspective its a good idea.

Nintendo probably has the money to do it, but they'd be risking that investment because of the Wii U's iffy sales (though the Wii U is no longer selling at a loss, and if Nintendo were to buy Capcom and start having Capcom make games for Wii U or at least just 3DS, it could boost sales even more).

At this time, it doesn't sound like that huge of an expense. Capcom's stock has been going down by the year, and that means it would be cheaper to purchase a large amount of it. It would probably be the more favorable thing to do versus a corporate takeover and still allow Capcom the freedom to make third party games. It's just that they can't shaft Nintendo anymore. 

lol Microsoft.

They would probably force Capcom to make Kinect Street Fighter or something.

• Thumbs Up 3

At this time, it doesn't sound like that huge of an expense. Capcom's stock has been going down by the year, and that means it would be cheaper to purchase a large amount of it. It would probably be the more favorable thing to do versus a corporate takeover and still allow Capcom the freedom to make third party games. It's just that they can't shaft Nintendo anymore. 

I suppose you're right, it might not be as significant of an expense at this point. I personally wouldn't mind Nintendo buying 51% of Capcom's shares, but its questionable if they'd try and do it.

I don't want Nintendo to buy Capcom, but if they did, what's wrong with a fighting game being exclusive on a platform that generally has the best D-Pad on a controller?

Yeah I could see some really massive fan outrage come to the internet if street fighter went nintendo exclusive.

The EVO Tourney people not having their superultramegastreetfighterturboalpha+ on a multiplatform console or PC would cause for riots.

I don't want Nintendo to buy Capcom, but if they did, what's wrong with a fighting game being exclusive on a platform that generally has the best D-Pad on a controller?

Most people use Arcade sticks. Good luck finding one worth a shit on anything that isn't a Sony console.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most people use Arcade sticks. Good luck finding one worth a shit on anything that isn't a Sony console.

Sega Saturn and Dreamcast have awesome first party ones, but hooking them to your average console is an issue :P though wasn't there a good Madcats one for wii? 

No, I can guarantee you the hardcore fighting game enthusiasts would cringe if they read that.

third-party shit all suffers from the same crap; they use chinese knockoff parts that go to shit under any real use and wiggle around all over the place. If you want to use an arcade stick, you go custom made or you don't bother.

If that happens then Nintendo could just make sticks then if fighting game players complain enough.

It'd be simpler to make custom order control boards.

In face I'm pretty sure the fighting game crown would instantly jump to Nintendo if they did.

It'd be simpler to make custom order control boards.

In face I'm pretty sure the fighting game crown would instantly jump to Nintendo if they did.

They made a Gamecube adaptor, and put the controllers back into production, pretty sure that if they got a corner on one or two of the biggest fighting franchises around they would be more than willing to make first party controllers, I mean look what they do to please the community 

No, I can guarantee you the hardcore fighting game enthusiasts would cringe if they read that.

third-party shit all suffers from the same crap; they use chinese knockoff parts that go to shit under any real use and wiggle around all over the place. If you want to use an arcade stick, you go custom made or you don't bother.

...The Mad Catz one was actually surprisingly good. I think that was the only product from that brand that ever was good quality.