Awoo.

Famous Sonic Fans?

QuantumEdge

it's just hard to gather who celebrity sonic fans are, when it's not just some question you give in an interview, or anything. 

but at this point, sonic is as much of a mascot as mickey mouse is. I used to think sonic was universally hated by everyone, but this past few years, I've been noticing it's basically the opposite. almost every sonic the hedgehog video on youtube has at least 1,000,000 views.

there's a phenomenon with anthro characters in general. it's hard to explain

article-1302177390704-0b858bfa00000578-9

... ... ... .... Technically..

Awaits calls of 'who are those guys?'

Theres also a potential Sonic fan only it's a little... well...

mockweek460.jpg

Though this one is probably more 'I'm a videogames fan' as apposed to a Sonic fan.

Didn't a rapper make a song with Green Hill Zone playing in the background?

Yes, it was Wiz khalifa.

Fuck yeah!

oh...and theres also Lacey Chabert, she said in an interview that she was a sonic fan...........She also voices Princess Elise 

My favorite band in the world is L'Arc~en~Ciel.  Imagine my fangasm when I saw this.

tetsu_sonic.jpg

(Forgive the terrible quality; it's a screenshot from a YouTube video that was uploaded years ago!)

...I've been listening to them for years, i've watched this PV several times.

Why on earth did i never notice this?

• Thumbs Up 1

I swear I read somewhere in an interview that Ryan Drummond was a huge fan of Sonic when he was younger. Apparently getting the role of Sonic was unbelievable to him.

• Thumbs Up 5

I know owning a sonic shirt doesn't automatically make you a fan, but M.I.A. had one... *shrugs*

mia-sonic-shirt.jpg

Hhahaha, I had that shirt... or one very much like it. :D Pale blue with dark blue Sanics on it.

While it might just be because of his line of work, Mike Pollock seems pretty fond of the franchise (he was even willing to take time out of his busy day to attend Sonic New York meetups, for example). He did tell me he's not much of a gamer, however, so I assume he's more attached to the characters and the stories involving them.

He's very attached to Eggman, he even went "that's me!" when given an Eggman figurine as his first reaction above anything else.

Hhahaha, I had that shirt... or one very much like it. biggrin.png Pale blue with dark blue Sanics on it.

Confirmed, MamboCat is M.I.A. you read it here first.

Yes, it was Wiz khalifa.

Fuck yeah!

oh...and theres also Lacey Chabert, she said in an interview that she was a sonic fan...........She also voices Princess Elise 

If SEGA or Sonic Team comes across this:

They'll sue the guy for sneaking the Green Hill Zone theme in there.

Actually, SEGA doesn't own the copyright to Green Hill's music anymore. Anytime they want to use it (eg: Generations), they have to consult Nakamura from Dreams Come True (the dude who composed Sonic 1 & 2's soundtracks) to use it first. It's one of the main reasons why Seaside Hill gets reused instead these days.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually, SEGA doesn't own the copyright to Green Hill's music anymore. Anytime they want to use it (eg: Generations), they have to consult Nakamura from Dreams Come True (the dude who composed Sonic 1 & 2's soundtracks) to use it first. It's one of the main reasons why Seaside Hill gets reused instead these days.

Wouldn't matter anyway seeing as it'sjust a small sample of the track. Can't remember how long the sample is allowed to be but you don't need to pay or seek copyright to use small snippets of existing tracks.

If you did, you wouldn't have half of the music in that charts today.

• 3 weeks later...

Karen Gillan posted this on twitter a few days ago

BX3MpfyCcAEC0Qe.jpg

Anyone have a Sega Mega Drive? I am ready.

https://twitter.com/KarenGillan2/status/395697355673989120

Eh, anybody can be a fan of classic sonic, its like the equivliant of having an Invader Zim Gir T-shirt when you don't even know the TV series.

Now when she says something along the lines of "Man I hate that rail grinding section in Lava Mountain!!" on her twitter, then I'll think of her as a fan.

EDIT: your lucky I'm nice to last page posters Hoggy. tongue.png

Edited by goku262002

Is it weird that I knew Karen Gillan was a Sonic fan because we used to talk about it at school together? She was only 2 years higher than mine in my sister's class.

To be honest, where I live and what not it wasn't exactly a thing to know about the new 3D Sonic games so we were all the typical Classic Sonic fans. Internet was fairly scarce and having a Dreamcast were scarce, the Playstation was where it was at...also Pokemon.

Edited by Mogtaki
  • Thumbs Up 1

Still, not a thing that isn't scarce anymore. you can easily pick up Sonic games on PSN/XBLA or in a bargin bin/shelf at any gamestop.

Liking Classic Sonic nowadays at least outside this fanbase its like a Hot Topic kind of cool. hell if I see anyone wearing a Modern Sonic T-Shirt.

Still, not a thing that isn't scarce anymore. you can easily pick up Sonic games on PSN/XBLA or in a bargin bin/shelf at any gamestop.

Liking Classic Sonic nowadays at least outside this fanbase its like a Hot Topic kind of cool. hell if I see anyone wearing a Modern Sonic T-Shirt.

We don't have bargin bins or gamestops, but the game isn't scarce, no. We still like the old console, clicking in the cartridge and playing the game with the massive old controllers.

The Mega Drive was my baby, I loved it.

Kids nowadays will never understand that feeling an old console gave you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Karen Gillan is the same age as my younger sister.... so I bet she grew up with Sonic.

I'd disagree someone of this age would be a classic Sonic fan just because it's a "cool to be retro" thing. She might just genuinely prefer old school Sonic, or hasn't played the modern games.

Just sayin, yknow. tongue.png

As Mogtaki said; I loved my Mega Drive. To bits. I still have it somewhere in my parents' house and I'd love to retrieve it and hook it up right next to my 360.

Edited by MamboCat
  • Thumbs Up 1

On the Karen Gillan subject, she retweeted this earlier:

VkwdCdN.jpg

Considering her age, it's quite likely she did grow up with a Mega Drive or was exposed to Sonic to some extent.

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this topic, but it's just reminded me that Matt Smith also mentioned having a Mega Drive when he was on the Graham Norton show a while ago and said it was one of the best Christmas presents he ever got. No specific mention if he had any Sonic games, although I'd imagine most MD owners would have owned at least one of them.

Edit: In fact, here's an old interview where he also mentioned his Mega Drive.

Edited by Lucky
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did I not just say we used to talk about Sonic stuff at school? Of course she grew up with it, I even told her about Sonic Underground when it popped up on TV so can we please stop speculating? There's nothing left to speculate about.