Awoo.

"Reverse Microwave" invented: Ice cold beverages in less than a minute!

Tani Coyote

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/v-tex-gadget-works-like-a-reverse-microwave-cooling-drinks-in-seconds/story-fnda1lbo-1226748586309?from=public_rss

Exactly as it says on the tin: a device has been invented that can chill a drink from room temperature to 4 C/40 F in less than a minute. It operates using a vortex to cool the drinks, and uses 80% less energy than current drink chillers.

What limited markets there are for ice cubes might get even more limited after this, I think. It's a marvelous invention, and I can only imagine it will eventually be applied to other technologies as well; imagine machines that could cool your dinner if it's still too hot, for example. Or you could use it to prep food for quick storage; no need to let it sit out and attract more bacteria at room temperature! If nothing else I can definitely see these "reverse microwaves" catching on initially as a must-have device for any regular party host.

Not too long ago, Spain and now we have this! We're seeing a slow steady march of technologies, and I'm just giddy with anticipation of what comes next. Let's get optimistic over the coming of nanontech, folks.

• Thumbs Up 8

*creator goes insane

*becomes real-life MR Freeze

We all releasize, oh man what have we unleashed on the world! :(

Well at least it will keep this guy a little while longer:

Waltdisney4.jpg

Oh, makes frozen treats instant? Nice, if commerialized before next summer, we don't even need germ filled pools. 

Neat. a device to cool drinks faster that doesn't involve spraying it with a fire extinguisher, or putting a cooler together and putting ice, water and salt and mixing it all together to get fast cold drinks. If they can make it work right and not be a massive flop or useless device, people likely would rather enjoy being able to get their drinks this way, instead of having to keep them in the fridge for hours before being able to drink them.

Um, yeah, a grey goo scenario is actually very unlikely, not only due to how different physics are at the mirco-/nanolevel, but in addition to other factors such as energy to power nanomachines, and how they would actually even convert the material from other atoms in order to replicate themselves to be that kind of threat. It's like making a person out of plastic instead of flesh, there's a whole lot of complications to it (nevermind how unlikely that idea is itself, not counting robotics). One could even assume they'd act like bacteria or viruses and be subject to the same flaws as those two of being vulnerable to immune systems or even be countered by artificial antibodies that follow the same lines as the nanomachines for that scenario.

And even if those hurdles are able to be cross, such technology and even the event of such is estimated decades or even centuries away from being achievable. And by then, we'd probably have a countermeasure in the event that scenario were ever possible. teach.gif

At any rate, this is awesome. Now I can have a cold beer- I mean Pepsi in less than a minute without having to wait hours for it to cool up, or even a few more minutes before it becomes cold in ice.

Edited by CreepySpiritSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

imagine machines that could cool your dinner if it's still too hot, for example. 

Oooh how exciting, a machine that replicates the effect of open air :0

• Thumbs Up 4

But does in a fraction of the time. :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Woah, I had to freeze for a sec, this is really cool! This'll be great when I'm chilling with my friends, there'snoway I'll ever need to use a fridge again! It was nice knowing it, but I'll have to spend my cold hard cash on this instead.

If these puns don't make you laugh, then all is frost.

Mr-freeze.jpg

Edited by Indighost Rush
  • Thumbs Up 7

Haha, this is awesome. I'm now waiting for the time comes when any standard microwave will also incorporate this technology.

Woah, I had to freeze for a sec, this is really cool! This'll be great when I'm chilling with my friends, there'snoway I'll ever need to use a fridge again! It was nice knowing it, but I'll have to spend my cold hard cash on this instead.

If these puns don't make you laugh, then all is frost.

Cool story bro.

(Reverse Microwaves be blowin' my mind! Holy cow. XD WHAT WILL SCIENCE THINK UP NEXT?)

Seems like you're concerned with mind-blowing future technology.

Welp, it is the decade of 2010s and who knows what will there be in 2025?

Anything but robots would be nice, seriously im scared of a robot apocalypse happening.

Well, the great scientific developments - combustion engine, aviation, etc. - tend to come in "waves" if you chart them on a graph. And the best part is that these waves keep shrinking in length. Originally it was 100 years between great developments... then 50... then 20... the rate of scientific discovery appears to be accelerating, amazingly. I can easily foresee advanced robotics, nanotechnology and hydrogen power within the century. It's understandable science flourishes today, with not only better hardware to use, but it's now possible for scientists all around the globe to share research thanks to widespread communications. The ability to share information around the world has never before been so fast, cheap or efficient.

Main bummer is I question if I'll live to see the most wonderful of these achievements. sad.png