Awoo.

The New Dell Latitude 6430u laptops.... smell of cat piss

Badnik Mechanic

_70799026_latitude-6430u-landing.jpg

So Dell have a Latitude 6430u laptop (or ultrabook) which is considered a high end laptop for business use... only theres a problem with it.

It smells of Cat urine.

Back in June a user of the Dell forums raised the issue and since then the complaints have continued to pour in. After a few days of use, the machine starts to give off a smell which is being described as a cat litter box.

Now the problem here is that because this is marketed as a 'business' laptop, people have been going to business meetings and meeting clients for big deals, pulling out their laptops and suddenly theres an odour of cat urine in the room.

The BBC have now picked up the story and it's slowly gathering a little more interest since the problem has been going on for such a long time.

Dell says that they've now fixed the problem and older models no longer have this problem, however if you have a laptop that starts to smell, Dell will offer a replacement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24741832

• Thumbs Up 7

How fucking fitting.

Dell was shitty for the past few years, but you can expect that to change soon. It went private recently; now with Michael back in charge, we'll likely see quality levels go up considerably in 2014.

I just really badly want to know what makes a laptop smell like cat piss

Either faulty capacitors, new plastics, or the glue in the keyboard, I imagine. Either way, it's strange how this got past quality control. They should have been more careful.

Edited by Dr. Homem
  • Thumbs Up 7

Looks like HP felt threatened by their new model and threw a few dozen cats into Dell's assembly factory during nighttime. There shall be TV commercials where cats won't be a cute idea, for once.

Wow, what a phenomenon. I know some laptops can smell a little burnt, but cat piss? I thought they would test the finished product and find out about these things before mass-producing and selling them. Other than that, notebook's looking great!

You could call this the new *ahem*... Catitude laptop? (I'm sorry, couldn't resist!)

Also, this is pretty hilarious. I'm imagining all these big wigs in their suits, all attending their meetings and what not, only to be greeted by the stench of cat piss! biggrin.png

Edited by MamBOO!Cat
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is almost surely due to one of the glues used internally and thus why they're replacing rather than fixing. If it is one of the glues there is no fix for affected machines.

I thought they would test the finished product and find out about these things before mass-producing and selling them. Other than that, notebook's looking great!

Should it be glue as I suspect they wouldn't have know at the factory. This would have creeped up after some use and the machines being warm.

Dell was shitty for the past few years, but you can expect that to change soon. It went private recently; now with Michael back in charge, we'll likely see quality levels go up considerably in 2014.

Either faulty capacitors, new plastics, or the glue in the keyboard, I imagine. Either way, it's strange how this got past quality control. They should have been more careful.

I've smelled cap smoke too many times, so I have extreme doubt that would be the cause. If the caps were an issue you'd expect the computers to have more problems than just a smell.

I've not really understood all the hate for Dell in the last few years. They make decent machines and are the least stingy when it comes to replacement parts and service manuals plus they also have a very good driver/software database (possibly the best imo). I've never gotten anything but good support from them. HP on the other hand...

Edited by SkyDoge

I laughed my ass off when read the full title of this topic. That is just weird. As a matter of fact, someone told me this a bit ago. I didn't really take it seriously but wow. Ha!

If something smells of cat piss, I am guessing it has to do with the ammonia used in the blend. So, if anything it could be any polymer that has ammonia used for production of the computers.

And bingo, first search - casein glue. Glue that is waterproof and made with ammonia. This is probably what is causing the smell if it is used in the product.

Edited by Scheming Minor

And this is probably why I avoid using dell products. The only computer brands I really like are Lenovo, Apple, Toshiba, ASUS and to a lesser extent Samsung. All the other ones I don't feel are reliable.

Still, of all defects cat piss? Like seriously, unless lolcats were using in the manufacturing process I don't see how a laptop could smell like that.

g1383236206294623824.jpg

All I am thinking right now is how did this happen? Sounds like Dell are too embarrassed to give a reason why they smell of cat pee?