Awoo.

PS4 Launch Live Stream "Pope Geoff is full delicious doritos potato chips"

Badnik Mechanic

Man, the announcements for today were lacking; we all knew that Uncharted was coming (Naughty Dog or someone else making it) and the fact they teased Last of Us DLC but not a PS4 version (at a PS4 launch event no less) feels lacking. I was expecting a huge announcement or surprise game (like the rumored Crash tittle or the rumored PS3/Vita Parapa the Raper game), but for what this even was, it was a nice way to launch the new shiny hardware that is the PS4 smile.png.

Sorry you got so disappointed Chaos Warp; I'm not to fond of Uncharted myself outside of UC2 and UC Vita, but don't get to upset as just because Naughty Dog are making this doesn't mean that it will be like Uncharted 3. They know what was wrong with that game and with the new hardware the PS4 provides, I think we could all expect the game to wow us like Uncharted 2 did back in 2009 smile.png.

Edited by RK64

So many "worldwide exclusive" announcements.

A game that really wasn't a surprise to happen (Uncharted sequel), classic Snake (lol ok that was pretty great) and some teaser for something we already knew was coming (Last of Us DLC). Everything else was games we already knew about.

TimEric7.jpg

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 3

At the very least Sony could have shown off something new; some Order gameplay (we've only seen pictures of the game) or announce some new games (Sanzaure are working with the PS4, as is Sumo Digital who are rumored to be making a LBP game)....

The only announcements were literally Last of Us DLC and Uncharted.

'K great, but I'm sure the WHOLE event wasn't over those 2 things. :|

'K great, but I'm sure the WHOLE event wasn't over those 2 things. :|

A new Infamous Second Son Trailer and Classic PS1 Solid Snake in MGSV.

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I just got excited for nothing.

Idk just not excited for much of anything from PS4. I mean the games look good and all but I can't bring myself to care that much. So many games are being made as movies with gameplay sort of feeling secondary. I mean sure its not like you're playing a big QTE, but its like just filling in the blanks to a CGI film. I want more games that are games

Imagining them taking some of their old IPs and bringing them back got my hopes up, but eh. Nevermind I guess! Hohokum looks great though, and so does Octodad.. but we already knew about those too. :\

• Thumbs Up 3

Man I let those Crash and Parappa rumors get me all excited about what this event might have been, I knew I shouldn't have haha. I have yet to play Uncharted but not too surprised they're making another one. I'm sure it will be a great fame, same for inFAMOUS Second Son. Classic Snake in MGSV is cool since I'll definitely be getting it on a Sony console...not too interested in Destiny but hey Sony buyers getting that beta first should be a big draw.

I dunno. There's really just not much exciting me from Sony or Microsoft. Now, if Sony is planning Yakuza/Shenmue stuff, well...

• Thumbs Up 4

I guess I just got excited for nothing.

Idk just not excited for much of anything from PS4. I mean the games look good and all but I can't bring myself to care that much. So many games are being made as movies with gameplay sort of feeling secondary. I mean sure its not like you're playing a big QTE, but its like just filling in the blanks to a CGI film. I want more games that are games.

I don't know what that means...So you want a platformer or an RPG?

Imagining them taking some of their old IPs and bringing them back got my hopes up, but eh. Nevermind I guess! Hohokum looks great though, and so does Octodad.. but we already knew about those too. :\

Old IP...Yeah...It is a bit of a shame really.

However, this is Sony, and they still have a whole load of game studios which haven't announced anything yet. After Tearaway, it will be interesting to see what Media Molecule do.

Glad I stopped in bed now. Hyped for the new Uncharted, though. 

Wow, did the hype train crash or something? Seems like a lot of excitement for something pretty minor.

It's Geoff Keighley. He always does this with GT/Spike's events. I don't know why we always fall for it. 

I don't know what that means...So you want a platformer or an RPG?

I want games that are games first, cinematic experiences second. When you play Zelda, you know it's Zelda from the elements the gameplay features, it has its defining traits that makes it control, play and move like it does, and even with its way of piecing together a massive story and game elements all together, the game's mechanics come first and it rolls it all together.

In these other games, there's such an overexposure of narrative, of story presentation, of cinematic cutscenes and movie-like qualities that it feels like the game itself was an afterthought to all the ideas they had constructed; which is why we end up getting samey beatemup and/or FPS controls. It's like the industry is run by would-be movie directors that want to make a CGI film but can't without adding some gameplay and releasing it for consoles.

That's not saying they can't be done well, or even done at all, its just that it has become the norm and it's grating. And then you compare it to current indie games, who are only trying to do the opposite, and just try to be some pretentious art piece that relies on a gimmick (visual or gameplay-wise (or both)) and feels like a game made in spite rather than in love.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want games that are games first, cinematic experiences second. When you play Zelda, you know it's Zelda from the elements the gameplay features, it has its defining traits that makes it control, play and move like it does, and even with its way of piecing together a massive story and game elements all together, the game's mechanics come first and it rolls it all together.

I get what you're saying here, but to me it feels like Zelda games these days are defined by whatever gimmick Nintendo has for their console. But that might just be me.

In these other games, there's such an overexposure of narrative, of story presentation, of cinematic cutscenes and movie-like qualities that it feels like the game itself was an afterthought to all the ideas they had constructed; which is why we end up getting samey beatemup and/or FPS controls. It's like the industry is run by would-be movie directors that want to make a CGI film but can't without adding some gameplay and releasing it for consoles.

As for overexposure of narrative...? I don't think that's the problem. I think its just companies trying to imitate the success of others. Every shooter ever made  post-2007 is after the COD demographic. Tomb Raider, as far as I could see, looked like it was aiming for the success of the Uncharted franchise. Ryse looks like GOW, but not quite as good. 

You know what....I just realised the industry hasn't actually changed all that much....Its just that back in the day, there were a ton-a-penny platformers trying to recreate the success of Sonic and Mario. Its just that current trends don't align with what a lot of us want from the industry, but it will probably cycle back eventually, once everyone's bored of what's out there now.

That's not saying they can't be done well, or even done at all, its just that it has become the norm and it's grating. And then you compare it to current indie games, who are only trying to do the opposite, and just try to be some pretentious art piece that relies on a gimmick (visual or gameplay-wise (or both)) and feels like a game made in spite rather than in love.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last part....In spite of what? Publishers? Pretty damn good reason to do that to be honest....

But there are also a LOT of Indies out there who just want to make a fun game, and they have better tools available to them now than ever before.

Anyway, like I said before. Sony has a lot of studios who still haven't said anything. I'm sure something will come along that will suit your tastes. MM are finishing up on Tearaway, SSM probably has a lot in development from the future. Japan Studio too. 

If all that doesn't float your boat, the Wii U and Nintendo are always there till something you fancy is released and I'm sure Sony wouldn't mind selling you a console a few years later, like they did with the PS3.

Oh goody, Boringfest 4 is coming indeed. So, i guess Antonio Banderas' role will be making motion capture for a character?

Oh goody, Boringfest 4 is coming indeed. So, i guess Antonio Banderas' role will be making motion capture for a character?

It JUST came out. It's going to be around for 10 years, there are 180 games being made for it and E3 2014 is coming...did you really expect system sellers as soon as it comes out?

Look at the 3DS, Wii U, PS3 and pretty much like every single console launch. They weren't mindblowingly fantastic, sometimes just plain bad, but PS4s launch is a hell of a lot better than these consoles I listed.

It JUST came out. It's going to be around for 10 years, there are 180 games being made for it and E3 2014 is coming...did you really expect system sellers as soon as it comes out?

Calm your spikes, bro: i was referring to Uncharted 4, not to the PS4.

Calm your spikes, bro: i was referring to Uncharted 4, not to the PS4.

Oh...well it doesn't really help when they both end with a 4 does it =\

Damn, I'm glad i didn't even think to wake up early to witness the liturgy of the dew

People will eventually realize that Geoff Keighley is full of delicious doritos potato chips.

fixed

• Thumbs Up 1