Awoo.

YouTube and Google +

Xtremer Sadiqachu

As you may or may not have noticed, YouTube has taken a great interest in advising us to use Google +. Starting with asking us to merge the two, from turning the channel comment into a G+ exclusive chat.

Personally, I think this whole thing is just a big convoluted mess, but I want to hear your opinions on this.

It's poop, coming out from poop. Google are basically putting a gun on every YouTube users head and saying "You ain't commenting squat until you use Google+ motherf**ker!"

What a bunch of bollocks. It's so bad that there is a petition to change it back, and you guys should sign it because this is horrible.

https://www.change.org/petitions/google-change-the-youtube-comment-section-back-to-its-original-form

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 3

What is Google+ to begin with? I never used it and don't know how to use it so I couldn't give less of a shit. It just making it harder than it needs to be for no reason period. Bloody effin' hell.

I'm not a fan of YouTube comments. But I do often end up putting something on Clement's videos! :D

It was telling me to merge my account with my Gmail for ages, so I was repeatedly clicking on "No, I want to use my username". It would still ask me the same question the next week or the next time I used YouTube. I think the move was inevitable.

It started out as Google's attempt at making a new Facebook, but now they've sort of tried to spread its influence to act as a hub for everything you do online ever.  It also enforces transparency with your identity, promoting the idea that your online life and real life should be as one, which obviously is not everyone's cup of tea.

Now that you mention it, Blogger did keep bothering me about that shit when I was posting my Webcomics on there, before I switched to a webcomic hosting site...

Gettin' real sick of your shit, Google.

But seriously, I could see this coming a mile away, to be honest.  The way they've continuously pestered users to use their real name over a username was a clear indication of that.  That's the way the big companies do things.  Don't like our product?  (In this case Google+)  We'll make you like it!  I want to at least hold onto a little bit of hope that Google will see how widely disliked it is and decide to revert it back to its old system, but I'm not going to hold onto that hope very tight.

The real name thing on YouTube I can't abide. If I was forced to I'd fucking make a new Google account with a fake name just to keep myself happy. I've seen others do that so if the time comes I can't use my old YouTube name anymore, that's what I'll do.

I'd use Google+ but I don't know anyone who uses Google+, or anyone anywhere near as much as Facebook. All the cool kids still use Facebook.

Edited by Fancy

The new change is complete shit and is up there as one of YouTube's worse updates. Google Plus prior to this was constantly being shoved in your face with it wanting people to merge their accounts / change their usernames and whatnot, but up until last night it wasn't compulsory. I won't be surprised if you will have to make or own a Google Plus account to even use a YouTube account in the near future.

It started out as Google's attempt at making a new Facebook, but now they've sort of tried to spread its influence to act as a hub for everything you do online ever.  It also enforces transparency with your identity, promoting the idea that your online life and real life should be as one, which obviously is not everyone's cup of tea.

What they are doing, to me, is essentially the same as if you were to go to a supermarket, by one brand of spaghetti, and another brand of spaghetti sauce, and then the owners of the sauce slap the spaghetti out of your hands and say you can't use this sauce unless you use our brand of spaghetti.  I mean sure you can take both brands of spaghetti to the checkout and then use the different brand when you get home anyway but the other brand is still there taking up cupboard space unnecessarily and you'll have people coming round going "oh you buy brand #2 spaghetti?" and you have to be like "oh no I just have that because they force you to get it with the brand #2 sauce".

God I'm so mad over this I can't even think of a pizza analogy.

And now JezMM is too angry to conjure proper pizza analogies.

Google, you bastard son.

• Thumbs Up 5

Let's be honest - no matter how many petitions we send and no matter how many people hate it, YouTube/Google's going to ignore anything and everything that's not praise and say that due to the positive feedback, the G+ requirement is here to stay.

They've done it several times before, you'd be a fool to think they won't do it now.

• Thumbs Up 7

The only updates that to me had some positive qualities out of all the updates from 2007 to this date are allowing everyone to upload videos longer then 10-15 minutes and having their personal miniature. The end. The rest of the updates are pure garbage, and this is no exeption.

One of my favorite YouTubers basically hit the nail on the head on all this. I could care less about the Google+ thing, but the change I can't even fathom why they even considered is:

3) YOU CAN’T REPLY TO COMMENTS. AT ALL. THE END. FUCKING AMAZING LAUNCH, YOUTUBE. MINDFUCKED INTO OBLIVION OF ANOTHER UNIVERSE, I CANNOT THINK OF ANOTHER COMPANY THAT MANAGES TO FUCK UP THIS BADLY, AND IT’S HAPPENING TO EVERY ACCOUNT ON THE SITE. WHAT THE SHIT, DO YOU NOT DO TESTING?

OH OF COURSE YOU DON’T DO TESTING, BECAUSE THEN YOU WOULD ACTUALLY NOT RELEASE 95% OF THE CHANGES AND DESIGN SCREWUPS YOU’VE BEEN DOING SINCE 2007! HOLY SHIT MAN

As someone who relies on feedback, this is a serious blow and a really unjustifiable change.

Edited by A.R.
  • Thumbs Up 3

How the new youtube currently works.

If you do not have google+ = You can reply to comments that were made by a user who has google+

If you do not have google+ = you cannot post comments on videos... even if those videos are your own.

If you do not have google+ = you no longer recieve personal messages, youtube notifications for managing who has commented and where.

If you have google+ = you can now be added to 'circles' by completely random people who you do not know, who you might not want to know, and as far as I'm aware you cannot leave these 'circles'

If you have google+ and then delete it....

Your entire youtube account is deleted and all your videos gone, this is an unreversable action.

• Thumbs Up 6

YouTube has been famous for shitty layout changes and such, but this?

Fucking inexcusable.

It leaves open SO many opportunities for spam to get to you (the circles that you get added to, like Hogfather mentioned), the entire thing is completely broken (replying no longer possible, YouTube not delivering notifications, etc), and last of all, if you delete your Google+, your YouTube account gets taken down!? WHAT THE HELL, DOES THE GOOGLE+ DELETING PAGE EVEN WARN YOU OF THIS!?

It's sad that they won't listen to the tiniest bit of criticism, because this is unacceptable.

Edited by Dealer Spindash
  • Thumbs Up 1

Normally I'm indifferent to changes on youtube since they're usually just random little things that don't really matter to me. This, however, is mind boggling.

I guess I'm interested in seeing what happens now.

We need an alternative to YouTube that is actually good. Surely that can't be THAT hard?

Hold on a second, it's not often I'm genuinely cynical about about something. *ahem* If people found a viable alternative and collectively agreed to move to that site, I could see that site doing the exact same things that Youtube's done the past few years to alienate people. Although it'd probably never get as terrible as this Google+ stuff, so there's that.

They should just get rid of the comments sections altogether. Most of the comments are just either useless tiny.url spam or copy and pasted posts.

How the new youtube currently works.

If you do not have google+ = You can reply to comments that were made by a user who has google+

If you do not have google+ = you cannot post comments on videos... even if those videos are your own.

If you do not have google+ = you no longer recieve personal messages, youtube notifications for managing who has commented and where.

If you have google+ = you can now be added to 'circles' by completely random people who you do not know, who you might not want to know, and as far as I'm aware you cannot leave these 'circles'

Your entire youtube account is deleted and all your videos gone, this is an unreversable action.

What the flying fuck.

November 6th update confirmed as shittiest YouTube update ever.

Seriously who are the people behind this bullshit? Are the people who designed the draconian DRM garbage Xbox One seeking refuge in Google HQ?

Edited by Gabe Scrooge
  • Thumbs Up 1

What? That's really an un-fair bullshit feature on their part. Like who thought this was necessary? Like, "Oh you don't want google+ no more? Well fuck you, we're taking your youtube account."

Dickheads...

Edited by Abominal Taz
  • Thumbs Up 4

I've seen this coming for ages and it's only a matter of time before the channels themselves are switched over in some way. I have no interest in getting G+. The Youtube comments are not that important to me and I will refuse this until the very end.

This is far worse then any layout change they've ever done. It's a fundamental shift in how the site works and what users can expect, not to mention the potential privacy implications associated with G+.

I know a guy who tried this a few weeks ago and by some miracle he was able to get his videos back, but had to start over at zero subs, down from 10k.

• Thumbs Up 1

But I can't leave YouTube behind. Even if an alternative video site rose, YouTube still has a shitton of content I love watching over and over and reuploading them would be too much effort, especially if they're regularly busy uploading new content anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

As others have said, this really should have been expected as soon as Google started asking users to change to their names.

Obviously they didn't get enough users doing it, so they forced the issue on us.

In fact, let's go further back. This should have been expected as soon as Google took over Youtube and started changing the entire environment of Youtube as it was [as well as the introduction of G+ on their part].

Finding it hard to care about comments.

I never comment on YouTube videos anymore, and when I do my inbox is usually full of shit calling me a rapist or a pedophile or a douchebag or some shit like that.

Fuck Youtube commentors. The only changes I hate are ones made to the channel layouts, menu bar, and subscriptons.

EDIT: wait, what about channel deletion?

Edited by Solkia
  • Thumbs Up 4