Awoo.

Your WGOTY of 2013

DocAzure

So, we have a GOTY topic and it made me think. What are the worst games I've played this year? So, I made this topic for the discussion of your WGOTY in 2013.

Now, a little ground rule before we start. Avoid drama, please. We're all mature people here, we should be able to accept the fact that we all have different opinions. This cuts both ways, however, as you should have 'vaild' reasons on why you think the games you've listed are worthy of this title. By valid, I do mean no "I hate it because Sonic sucks now", rather "I don't like how Sonic controls in this title". 

(Apologies if this comes across as backseat moderating)

Have fun!

...What is the difference between Game of the Year and W(?) Game of the Year?

EDIT: Ah okay, nevermind.

Edited by Wonder ED
  • Thumbs Up 1

...What is the difference between Game of the Year and W(?) Game of the Year?

What are the worst games I've played this year?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to be honest and say I have not played any truly bad games this year, but if I had to pick it would have to be Sonic Lost World. Don't get me wrong, I do like the game and am one of it's staunch supporters, but compared to the other stuff I played this year............it's definitely the most flawed. So sadly it has to end up on the worst list. 

Could we also go for most disappointing game? I can't really say I played a really bad game this year.

Most disappointing to me would be Metal Gear Rising. It's a good game, don't get me wrong, but it was marred down by some stuff. The camera was awful. Most of the time it was working against me. It was also really short and I'm not the type to replay this type of game on higher difficulties. And I hated how the story ended.

I was really annoyed to see Raiden on the run. MGS4 ended things nicely with him and his family and now that's gone for him and it didn't seem to do it to show us how sad it was, but to say, "Isn't Raiden a badass?!"

I'm going to be honest and say I have not played any truly bad games this year, but if I had to pick it would have to be Sonic Lost World. Don't get me wrong, I do like the game and am one of it's staunch supporters, but compared to the other stuff I played this year............it's definitely the most flawed. So sadly it has to end up on the worst list.

Same here. =<

Whilst SLW was good, it's certainly one of the most disappointing games I've played this year. Too many flaws and it gave me too much frustration when playing it and that is very sad indeed. I hope this was just an experiment and that Sonic Team can iron out the parkour elements and level design for the next game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Technically the worst game I played this year was Unwiished, but... that's not from 2013 so oh well.

In terms of games released this year, I'm going to have to give the nod to something not necessarily bad, but not as good as it was made out.

GTA V is a great game. Not saying it isn't. But with the hype that was built up around it, it was not the absolutely mindblowing feat I expected.

Again, not saying it's bad. It's not. I had a mountain of fun with it. But overall, it was quite flawed, and not what the hype made it out to be.

Especially that friggin' online.

Perhaps Worst Game of the Year is harsh. There's probably a MUCH worse game I've forgotten about.

I can't say I've played a game this year that has genuinely been "bad" - especially since graduating from uni, I'm starting to feel the financial crunch a bit more so I'm only investing in games that I know will be worth my time. As for most disappointing game though... hmm... I'm tempted to say Sonic Lost World because of all the missed potential and frustrating design it had, but I equally had a lot of fun with it when it did get things right. So that would be unfair of me.

Oh! I do know one actually. Game & Wario for Wii U. It's not a terrible game, not by a long shot, but it was certainly very... ehhh. There's some cool ideas in it and some typically wacky Wario brilliance - particularly in the unlockable little extras you get from the pooping chicken capsule machine - but as an overall package it really failed to deliver compared to the previous WarioWare titles. What especially didn't help the game was that it came out during the months where there was absolutely nothing worth playing on Wii U being released, so this seemed like a beacon of hope, a glimmer of potential... only for it to fall incredibly short of what it could have been, and it just ended up becoming another example people could use in the "Wii U has no good games! lol" argument.

I love ya Wario, but you've gotta do better than that.

I only bought three games that were released this year: Sonic 1 Taxman remake, Batman: Arkham Origins, and Sonic: Lost World 3DS. I wouldn't call any of them bad, but Lost World 3DS is easily the worst compared to those two. The Gyro controls, over use of puzzles, being forced to use Wisps, and the marathon levels later on were beyond frustrating.

Technically the worst game I played this year was Unwiished, but... that's not from 2013 so oh well.

In terms of games released this year, I'm going to have to give the nod to something not necessarily bad, but not as good as it was made out.

GTA V is a great game. Not saying it isn't. But with the hype that was built up around it, it was not the absolutely mindblowing feat I expected.

Again, not saying it's bad. It's not. I had a mountain of fun with it. But overall, it was quite flawed, and not what the hype made it out to be.

Especially that friggin' online.

Perhaps Worst Game of the Year is harsh. There's probably a MUCH worse game I've forgotten about.

>I call GTA 5 one of my GOTY's in the GOTY thread

>I say LW is my WGOTY in this thread

>You do exact opposite of both things

Are you Shadow Me or something? lol

• Thumbs Up 1

No game felt like more of a disappointment and a waste of my $40 than Sonic Lost World 3DS. Is it the worst game ever? No. Is it the worst Sonic game ever? Nu uh. Is it the worst Dimps Sonic game ever? Not quite.

But it's not worth $40, and the amount of disappointment and overall heavy-heartedness this game gave me was bad enough to make me return it within a week of owning it. 

Which sucks... because that version actually had potential. *sigh* oh well.

>I call GTA 5 one of my GOTY's in the GOTY thread

>I say LW is my WGOTY in this thread

>You do exact opposite of both things

Are you Shadow Me or something? lol

Apparently so! XD Again, GTAV isn't an incredibly bad game (as WGOTY would suggest) it's just flawed. I see where you're coming from in the GoTY thread though

Come to think of it I haven't purchased a bad game this year from 2013. The worst game purchase I've made this year was probably Sonic Unleashed, but even then its not terrible. But I do recall buying Gens 3DS this year...bleh.

However a big disappointment this year was Rayman Legends. After two delays and no one but me really giving a crap anymore I was really excited because I was expecting it to be a big grand adventure, but it just kinda felt like I got a half baked Origins. For two delays it just feels unfinished.

Half the levels just consist of you constantly moving foreword without ever slowing down, its more about just timing your jumps and punches right rather than actual platforming. The Murphy levels are crap. They're dull, they're slow, and they just break the pace of the entire game. The AI was pretty smart most of the time but in others it was pretty horrendous. I also was expecting lots of different kinds of levels, but I only got 4 with only like 2 different varying locations. That last fucking world. Oh god that last fucking world. Thanks for burning my eyes, Ubisoft. Origins had a cute little story and quite a bit of atmophere IMO, and Legends just kinda shits on that. And is it just me or is the Fiesta level just a big retread of Gourmand Land?

Oh, and half the fucking game was literally just Origins levels.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly? As much hours I've logged on it, Pokemon X (and Y).

While it does make some additions that help the metagame, the main game is just unbalanced as fuck.

First you have Greninja as a starter. While it doesn't have Protean it's still really strong.

Then you have the EXP share buff, pile that with the EXP the game just hands you on a silver platter, and your whole team can be level 60 by the end of the game.

It takes way too long to get to the 3rd gym. After the second gym, it throws a bunch of filler at you to stall you from getting

Mega Lucario. It gives you the mega form of one of the strongest pokemon in the metagame to use in the main game. You can bullshit alot of the game with it.

Your shitty friends are annoying. One is an obese dancer, one is a nerdy girl/guy/I don't fucking know who cares only about the Pokedex, one is this little girl who is clingy as shit, and then we have Serena/Calem. I cant speak for Serena since I played as her, but Calem is the most bottom of the barrel uninteresting rival the series has ever had. He amounts to nothing more than "I want to beat you someday".

This game throws money at you. Guess how much Money I've made in total? Around 3 million. This would be okay if they balanced the prices of the items, but they didn't. Full Restore is still 3000, and I was able to buy 182 of them with money to spare by the time I got to the Elite Four.

Speaking of the Elite Four, how fucking pathetic are these assclowns? The only 3 pokemon that may possibly give you trouble are that stupid Clauncher, Aegislash, and Nosepass with Sturdy. Everyone else are fucking chumps.

And then we have the champion. Icebeam one-shots 4 of her 6 pokemon. Close Combat on Aurorus and a Ghost move on Mega Cinderella and you've won.

And then we have the story. Holy shit that story is all over the place. I mean this was like Mortal Kombat shit (Stealing the souls of Pokemon? Really?) without the gore with 100% more fabulousness and 100% less entertainment.

This all said and done, I bought it because I want to experience the feeling of battling my Friends in a Pokemon matcch again. I haven't done this since 2003. Too bad no one has wanted to battle me yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't even have to think about this one:

Time-and-Eternity-logo.jpgTimeAndEternity.jpg

Haven't heard of this game? You're a lucky son of a bitch.

This is probably one of the worst JRPGs ever created. It's definitely the worst one I've ever played. Just about everything in this game is bad...well except for the music, I'll give it that. Music's decent. But everything else? Just. Plain. BAD.

Read on if you want to see this further in detail (slight spoilers):

Synopsis: The game's about a princess named Toki who's about to marry a dude named Zack.. Toki, about a half a year prior, received word from a fortune teller that someone will die at her wedding. Her and her friends laugh it off after she tells them the day before the whole shebang, but lo and behold, it happens. The victim? Her fiance, who perishes while valiantly (pfft) defending her. While Zack's slowly dying in her arms, it's revealed that Toki has a second soul/half named Towa, an action girl. After dealing with the assassins, Toki/Towa and Zack (whose soul ends up in her pet dragon, Drake), go back in time to try and stop the event from happening.

Now, where to begin ripping this game apart? Let's start with the presentation. Now, this makes me kinda sad, because the idea of the hand-drawn style intrigued me at first, buuuuuuuuuuuuut...it fell really flat. The character's animations are stiff, there's GLARINGLY noticeable animation errors that happen frequently in the game (terrible transitions, glitching out, etc.) The 3D backgrounds are virtually static and that on top of the extremely clashing 2D sprites(?) pretty much make the game look like something from the PS2 era. The character designs are alright, but seriously, I think there could've been a little more differentiation between Toki and Towa asides from different hair, eye, and clothes colors. There are some CG images and stuff that feature some (somewhat poorly drawn) fanservice, too, but all that's side quests and stuff no one cares about that :v

Next up? The gameplay. The battle system seems like it could've had some depth, but a bunch of bad decisions make this part of the game ALSO fall flat. So, the main character, Toki/Towa, uses a...rifle, I guess, for long range combat and a knife for close range combat. You can move up or back depending on which weapon you want to use, and each half has a mastery in a different weapon (Toki's better with ranged weapons, Towa's better with close quarter combat). Now, this is kinda well thought out and there's even a whole skill tree thing and everything, but there's a lot of issues with it. Remember the stiff animations I mentioned earlier? Yeah, that's where it affects the game most. The battle animations, aside from being really bad, get in the way of the gameplay. The dodge mechanic becomes really stupid due to the pretty unclear starting and ending points. You think you're clear for a dodge but NOPE, just a frame off and you get damaged. The game virtually becomes a mash-fest with little-to-no-strategy involved. Also, those two halves of the main character I talked about? You don't get to pick which one to fight with. You automatically switch halves by leveling up. So yeah, you could be grinding to face a boss, end up leveling up, and then being at a disadvantage because the half that the game automatically switches to doesn't have the skills that work best against the boss. There is a manual switch though, but it's through a collectible item you get later in the game.

That's not all that's wrong with the gameplay, but I just want to get to the absolute worst part:

20130430172832.jpg

THE CHARACTERS.

OH. MY GOD. THE CHARACTERS. Jesus Freakin' Christ, the characters just bug me to no fucking end in this game. It's like they take a bunch of the famous anime tropes, amplify them greatly, and shove them in your face worse than Westboro Baptist Church shoves their ideas. One of Toki's friends literally has to throw in a line referencing how fucking rich she is every couple of minutes (the one in the middle of the picture, with the orange hair). Another one of them likes to divert an important conversation with talks of her libido all...the time (the one to the left of the aforementioned rich girl, with the blue hair). and Zack (if you couldn't guess, the only male human in the group)... don't get me fucking started on Zack. This guy. is. a. PIECE. OF. FUCKING. FUCKSHIT. Now, I'm pretty lenient when it comes to characters (I can accept a lot of flaws very easily), but it took me all of the first ten or so minutes of the game to start hating him. TEN. MINUTES. now, remember when I said he defended Toki valiantly (pfft)? If you're wondering what the pfft was for, well...

ss-124.jpg

Note: This is literally what he's thinking as he's dying in her arms. I'm not even joking.

I mean, the guy's a pervy douchebag who, at a lot of times, looks like he only wants to get in her pants. There are virtually little redeeming qualities to the guy and I just wanted him to go away, but NOPE, he ends up being the game's other main character!

So how's the rest of the story? I dunno, because...

The game was so goddamn painful to play that I couldn't even finish it! Got rid of that piece of crap as quick as I could. Good. Freakin'. Riddance.

• Thumbs Up 3

Beyond 2 Souls is pretty awful. If you've watched a video of the game it's about the same as playing it. The level of control the game gives to the player is unbelievably low. It feels more like watching a mediocre movie. I had to put it down. If I had payed for it instead of borrowing it off a friend I would have been pissed.

I did watch the rest of the story though. It's pretty crap. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Casltevania Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate was a pretty big letdown in the summer. The game relied on exploration and puzzles to prolong the action, which I find pretty underwhelming and disappointing for a Castlevania game.

Fire Emblem: Awakening.  Every level is exactly the same borefest of straight lines carving your way through dozens of enemies.  The plot wants to tell three different stories consecutively and all of them are terrible and undeveloped.  The characters are cardboard cut-outs scraped from the bottom of the anime barrel.  Sidequests are horrendously unbalanced.  Pay-to-win DLC.  Never before have I played a game that showed such creative exhaustion.  And this is the game that saved Fire Emblem?  It should've been the game that killed it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't play many bad games.  Most of the ones I played were good.  But I guess the honor would have to go to

*bdddddddddd TSSH*

The Last of Us

The praise this games gets absolutely baffles me.  I rented it and played it for about 8 hours.  I would have quit earlier, but people kept telling me that "it gets better."  Well, it didn't.  This game is just a mishmash of ideas that other games did much better.  The gameplay was boring and frustrating, the art direction was uninteresting, and I just didn't like the characters.  Ellie in particular just annoyed me.  It's a game that tries to make you feel for the supporting girl, much like Bioshock Infinite and The Walking Dead.  Unlike those games, however, I didn't feel a desire to save her.  Her constant swearing and smart-ass remarks just annoyed me, and I didn't like her at all.

I did watch the rest of the game on YouTube, though.  I still didn't think it was great, but it was definitely more enjoyable just watching than playing.  I think that's one of the biggest problems; none of it feels like it had to be a game.  The gameplay isn't diverse or enjoyable enough.  It would have been fine as a movie or show.  But even then it still wouldn't be anything special.

The intro was very engaging, Ellie had one scene I liked, and the ending was alright, but other than that, this game was just dull, dull, dull.

• Thumbs Up 2

Anarchy Reigns. Man, I hated that game, the combat was terrible, the story was piss-poor and maybe it's the art direction, but I hate the graphics too.

Anarchy Reigns. Man, I hated that game, the combat was terrible, the story was piss-poor and maybe it's the art direction, but I hate the graphics too.

At least you didn't complain about the soundtrack.

Hoo boy. I'm going to die for this. But...*sigh*...it's just how I feel. *deep breath*

43489.jpg

Ni no Kuni: The Wrath of the White Witch

Please, let me explain. I know this is supposed to be a critically acclaimed masterpiece, and it even pulled me in at first. Heck, I'd even say it started out pretty excellent. The prologue was a tear jerker almost on the level of Up, and the presentation is absolutely glorious. Ghibli lent their special touch to the game, after all - it only figures that this would be one of the best-looking games of our generation, with a haunting soundtrack to boot. I even gushed about it here at first - I posted a status calling it "The reasons video games exist" after all. I was enthralled, and I foresaw that I would bond with this game emotionally and it would be the best I would play all year.

Then I played it some more.

And then a little more.

And a little more.

And just a little bit more.

Slowly, I became aware that I couldn't really stand to play this game for more than an hour at a time, if even that. But that's strange. This game has a massive world, lots to do, a unique battle system, a lot of heart, and not to mention it was a weaboo game, a genre that generally eats up unreasonable amounts of my time. And twenty hours in, I realized, after all that wonderment and happy goodness, all the fun and cupcakes that made up the first hour or so of play...I just...wasn't...having any fun?

I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Sorry that I have to do this. Also, I'm sorry that I wasted sixty dollars on a game that after all I had heard about it, I was sure I would enjoy, but that has nothing to do with you.

But I'm going to tear one of the most acclaimed RPG's of this generation a new asshole now. And let me start by saying, yes, it has all that stuff. Massive overworld, battle system, tonsa side quests, super awesome happy desu Ghibli visuals and music, that abstract essence called "heart", you know, good stuff. The problem is, uh...aside from those last two things? It's all really, really boring. It's almost as if literally all the effort went into the presentation and nothing else.

The gameplay is just dull. Outside of the FF-style overworld (and I didn't really find much of interest there either) there's no real exploration or sense of discovery. And you know, that would be okay if the battle system was awesome. Sadly, it's really not. It's some really stupid bizarre "LOL LET'S PUT TOGETHER A REAL-TIME AND TURN-BASED BATTLE THINGS AND MAKE IT INTO A THING" battle system that just feels awful and sluggish. I hated that crap in Final Fantasy XII and I most certainly hate it here. There's also a silly HERPADERP GOTTA CATCH EM ALL monster system like my favorite game in the world, Final Fantasy XIII-2, and it just barely added more depth. For the most part, I just felt like I was running around in a circle and pressing X maybe once or twice. There's never any real need for complex strategies, hardly even any room to use them, and no fast-paced action at all. It's just pure, insipid mediocrity. All of the side quests that make up most of your "things to do" are just boring fetch quests with some mildly entertaining characters, and the game has absolutely no variety other than maybe one or two puzzles I found along the way. And considering that this is the same studio that made Professor Layton of all things, it seems like we could have at least used more of those.

But even then, I might have been able to bear with it if the story had been awesome. I mean, Studio Ghibli worked on this game, after all, so surely that must be really good, right? Ehhhhhhh...okay, here's the thing. There were some pretty excellent Ghibli moments, and a handful of charming characters here and there, but while it has the Ghibli heart, it...doesn't have the Ghibli soul, if that makes any sense. The plot is just a pretty generic fairy tale thing, and the characters, despite having "depth", are horribly flat in the personality and writing department. The only main character I can really say I cared anything about was Drippy. Oliver, even after watching his own mother die before his very eyes (that's not a spoiler, it happens at the very beginning of the game), can only stare at everything wide-eyed and scream "NEATO!" Having an innocent kid as the main protagonist of an RPG could have been an interesting direction, but Oliver is so ungodly, unrealistically innocent that I can't relate to him at all - all he does is annoy me. Greatly. Esther is...uh...a character, I guess. And that's about all I can say for Swaine, too. The White Witch and Shadar are both pretty generic villains. It's all...just...generic. By Ghibli standards, at least. I did hear about the twist that comes about midway through the game and it sounds like...um...a twist, I guess? It didn't reignite my interest. That's all I'll say.

So yeah.

I didn't like this game and it's the worst one I bought this year.

Sorry.

• Thumbs Up 1

At least you didn't complain about the soundtrack.

Ooh actually, the soundtrack was the only high point. I couldn't tell you names, but whilst getting through the game, I enjoyed it.